Reality

Mirage

Sojung was on the brink of perfecting the potion she had been working on since that morning. She’d finally gotten her hands on the final ingredient that she needed for it but not after an intense negotiation with the mermaids which she was thankful enough that it didn’t escalate into a fight.


Holding up the mermaid scale in the light to check the quality of the material, she smiled and nodded in approval. The scale had just the perfect rainbow colored hue to it and would be the perfect one for the potion. Fortunately, she didn’t need the entire scale, and only a few scrapes off of it would be more than enough and so she reached under her desk to grab a knife and held the material above the cauldron where a pale blue mixture was boiling.


Carefully scraping a few bits off the scale, she watched as the concoction emitted a pale blue glow before gradually changing into a pinkish color.

 

The color was exactly what she wanted to see.

 

“Perfect.” Sojung nodded, placing the mermaid scale down along with the knife but it was then that the doors to her study suddenly burst open, catching her by surprise.

 

“SOJUNG! UNTIL WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP HOLING Y—OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!” Eunha zipped through the room before rapidly shifting into her human form, immediately holding Sojung’s hand in hers as gently as she could.

 

She winced upon seeing the cut on the woman’s palm. It was shallow and wasn’t serious enough to be considered an emergency, but it must hurt a lot.

 

Little did the fairy know that she was the reason behind the mage’s injury. Eunha’s sudden entrance caused Sojung to jump and let go of the knife. In an attempt to catch it before it stabbed her foot, she had grabbed the sharp edge of the knife and cut herself in the process, hence, her current wound.

 

Sojung huffed, glaring pointedly at the fairy and trying to convey the reason without saying anything.

 

“Oh…” Eunha blinked, sensing the spike of slight annoyance in the mage’s emotional levels, “…Sorry…” she added in a small voice, before quickly beaming up at the Council Leader, “But it’s good that I’m here then, aren’t you lucky?”

 

Eunha gently held the injured palm in hers before placing her hand over the wounded area. With a gentle glow emanating off of her hand, she and Sojung watched as the wound began to heal itself, closing up slowly until not a sign of the wound could be seen.

 

Sojung sighed, “You know Eunha, I would’ve been perfectly fine if you just learned how to knock.”

 

“You’re welcome.” the fairy just said with a small pout, “What were you making anyway? You’ve been locked up in here since this morning and—“ she walked over to the curtains and drew them back, revealing the sole window in the room. Eunha pointed outside through it, “It’s already past sundown, Sojung. Do you know how much trouble Yerin had with the centaurs again?”

 

“Sinb’s with her isn’t she?” Sojung pointed out, as if it was the solution to her problem, which it was.“Well… she is, but that’s not the point!” Eunha whined, “The point is, you didn’t join us for lunch! And dinner! And I missed you a lot!”

 

“…This is the only day I’ve been gone for that long though?”

 

“Exactly!”

 

“I don’t see—“

 

“Sojung, you didn’t tell me you weren’t going to be joining us today and had me worried.” the fairy placed her hands on her hips and looked up at the taller woman with a frown, a slightly angry expression painted on her face, “I thought you went off somewhere and I was about to do a wide area search with Yuna’s help if it wasn’t for Yerin telling me that you just holed yourself up in here.”

 

Eunha let out a sigh before walking over to the sole chair in the room and plopping down tiredly on it.

 

“Did you search for me all over?”

 

“Of course I did.”

 

“And you didn’t bother searching here first?” Sojung asked, smiling in slight amusement at the look of realization on the fairy’s face. A second later, Eunha shrunk back into her fairy form and hid herself inside her cloak currently hung on the far side of the room. The mage understood why she acted that way, after all, it was just common sense to search for someone in their home first before searching
elsewhere.

 

Walking over to her cloak and pulling up a chair so she could sit down, she called out to Eunha gently, waiting patiently until the fairy finally peeked out from the hood of her cloak, looking back at her with an embarrassed expression.

 

“I’m sorry I got you worried.” Sojung began to say, staring back softly at the small council representative.

 

“You should be.”

 

Eunha’s reply was meant to show her annoyance, but with her size, her voice just ended up sounding like a whine that Sojung can’t help but find adorable. Chuckling slightly, she reached forward, prompting Eunha to perch on it which the fairy was quick to do.

 

“I hate you.” the fairy grumbled.

 

Sojung just smiled, “And I love you too.”

 

Eunha flew off her hand and shifted back to her human form. With Sojung currently sat down on the chair, it was one of the rare occasions where Eunha finds herself looking down at the mage.

 

“You mean that?” Eunha asked. Sojung didn’t reply. Instead, she held the woman’s hand in hers and pulled, at the same time leaning up a bit just enough to place a chaste kiss on the woman’s lips.

 

“I don’t know. You tell me.” Sojung teased.

 

Despite feeling her blood rushing up to the roots of her hair, she gently reached forward and placed her palm against Sojung’s chest, feeling each beat of her heart that, no doubt, she knew only beat for her. She didn’t need to be an empath to know how honest Sojung is when it was just the two of them.

 

“What do I do with you, really.” Eunha just sighed in slight exasperation meanwhile the mage just chuckled, pulling her in for a hug.

 

Neither of them knew how long they were wrapped around each other’s presence and warmth, but it must have been quite some time as the sun had completely set and the skies were painted a dark shade of indigo indicating that night has settled.

 

“Sojung?” Eunha mumbled, her face currently buried in the mage’s neck.

 

She hummed in reply.

 

“Why do I smell something burning?”

 

“What?” Sojung pulled away, sniffing herself, “It’s not me…”

 

“I said something, not you. And I think it’s that.” Eunha pointed to the cauldron now spewing out black smoke as the contents continued to boil nonstop. She turned her head to see which she was referring to, until she practically screeched in utter horror upon seeing her concoction getting closer and closer to being complete trash.

 

Needless to say, Sojung had to cast a strong reparation spell to reverse the damage but she didn’t mind it much with her being able to spend most the time with Eunha.

 

---

 

“SOJUNG-!”

 

“Eunha, please knock first.”

 

“Oh, right.” Eunha went out and closed the door behind her, Sojung watching the fairy in amusement, a smile growing on her face the moment she heard three soft knocks coming from the outside. As soon as the knocks ended, the door opened slightly, revealing Eunha peeking out from behind it and looking over at Sojung in a way that she took as something along the lines of, ‘Did I do well?’ and the mage fought with every limb in her body to keep herself from engulfing the woman in a hug because it was getting hard for her to resist doing so.

 

Any normal person interrupting Sojung while she’s in the middle of doing something important would immediately be shoved out the room in the worst way possible, but when it comes to Eunha, the mage just couldn’t find it in herself to be angry with how cute she was acting.

 

“What is it?” Sojung asked, indulging herself in the smile that lit up the fairy’s face before said woman headed over to her side without wasting any time.

 

“You said you just needed a cactus flower for your other potion right?” Eunha began to say, Sojung’s eyes widening at the implication of her words, “I found one!”

 

Though their realm was rich in different kinds of plants, it was a given that not all plants lived in their area. The cactus, in particular, could only be located in the deserts somewhere in the east. It’s been exceedingly difficult for Sojung to acquire one, even if she implored the help of some of her connections from the other realms. Though the cactus wasn’t exactly a rare plant, the flower is and it just so happened to be the one thing she needed to complete her potion.

 

“How in the world did you…?”

 

“I have a friend from the east, she said she’ll inform me if any flower blooms and the messenger just arrived today.” Eunha explained proudly, “She made sure the flowers remained untouched, but they couldn’t bring them here since transportation through the desert is a bit complicated.”

 

“So I will have to go get it myself?”

 

“Well… I was going to suggest that you send out someone instead…” Eunha began to say.

 

“It’s a personal potion that I’m making so I can’t exactly ask someone to go get it for me.” Sojung reasoned, “And I also want to make sure that the ingredient is in a good state when it’s brought back here, so I may as well go and get it myself.”

 

“Does… Does that mean you’re going away again?”
Sojung looked down at the fairy who was already pouting up at her with a slight sadness in her eyes at the thought that she wouldn’t be seeing the mage for a while. What with the fairy by her side almost all the time, she doesn’t find it unusual that she would be acting this way at the announcement of her absence. Heck, even during the time that she travelled to the North when Yerin went missing, it was hard to get the fairy to agree to stay in the realm as she insisted on going with her.

 

“It’ll only be quick. I have my teleportation orb after all.” Sojung assured her.

 

“But for sure you’re going to be teleporting there, and the orb needs around half a day before it can be used again. That’s not ‘quick’.” Eunha emphasized, the pout on her face not going away anytime soon,

 

“Can’t you take me with you?”

 

“You know you can’t be away from the realm Eunha.” Sojung reminded her, “You’re the representative of the fairies, remember? And no one can take your place when you’re away. They need you here.”

 

“But I need you too.”

 

“Stop being so cute, you’re making me hesitate to go now.”

 

“I don’t have a stop button for my cuteness. Deal with it. And that’s good. Don’t go.”

 

Sojung paused. She can’t find herself denying that statement. It goes to say that such feat is Sojung’s weakness and she can’t seem to go against it no matter how much she tries to fight it.

 

“I have to get the ingredient.” she could only manage to say.

 

“Then take me with you~” Eunha stomped her foot like a child that has been refused her favorite candy, “What’s the potion for anyway? Come to think of it, you’ve been brewing potions since a few days ago.”

 

“Just… some things…”

 

Eunha raised a brow, causing the mage to curse herself in her mind. Eunha was an empath, meaning that she could sense any sudden change of emotion that anyone feels. It was plenty useless trying to lie to her since she could immediately tell any form of deceit in anyone’s words or actions.

 

That includes the nervousness and hesitation that Sojung currently felt the moment she heard the question and answered it.

 

Sojung just sighed, “I can’t tell you that yet, but I promise to tell you when I finish all of them.”

 

Eunha continued to stare intently at the mage, looking for any form of doubt or perhaps mischief that the mage might be planning, but she seemed satisfied to have felt none of those so she just let it be, deciding to trust Sojung’s words. If she wants her to wait, then she will.

 

“Okay.” Eunha sighed, “I guess it’s something important?”

 

“Very important.” she emphasized.

 

Eunha’s pouting look came back, “When you sound so honest like that, I feel like I have no choice but to let you go.”

 

“I’ll be back before you know it.” she assured her, beckoning the younger woman in for a hug which Eunha was more than happy to succumb to. There was just that pleasant feeling of being wrapped in the mage’s arms that she can’t get enough of, Sojung’s warmth brought her comfort that she couldn’t find elsewhere and her presence itself made her crave for the mage the more she indulged herself in it.

 

Eunha liked being close to Sojung.

 

It was hard to believe that they were practically avoiding each other like the plague when they first met.

 

But circumstances have changed, and she was now the person who holds the mage’s formerly ice cold heart. As a leader, she is still strict in her duties, mercilessly dealing with troublemakers and making sure each and every rule is being followed by everyone, that hasn’t changed, but unlike before, Sojung now allows herself to show emotion whenever Eunha was around. And Eunha was always around.

 

Back then Sojung showed no sign of weakness, no sign of remorse. She was merciless as she was powerful, but Eunha had managed to break down those walls and the mage couldn’t be more thankful for the fairy’s presence. Sojung doubts that she will be able to get along with the other representatives if not for her.

 

“When do you plan to go then?” Eunha asked, looking up at the woman while still in her embrace.

 

“I want to be back here as soon as possible, so I’d be gone by early morning tomorrow.” Sojung replied, “I won’t forget to drop by at your place, of course.”

 

“You better.” Eunha scrunched her nose as she tried to look threatening but realized it didn't work with how Sojung just smiled amusedly in response, “Wait. I thought of something better.”

 

The mage tilted her head to the side, staring in curiosity as she waited for the fairy to continue her words.

 

“I’m staying over for the night!” Eunha beamed, “I’m a genius!”

 

“And what makes you think I’ll allow this…?”

 

“You can’t resist me.”

 

Sojung hummed, a small smile playing on her lips as she stared at Eunha fondly. It was true though, she was never one to resist Eunha’s charms. It was a side of her that she tries hard to hide from the others that revealed her soft spot whenever Eunha was involved. On the outside she may not seem all that affected, but her mental status was a completely different story.

 

It was a good thing that Eunha could only sense emotions and not read minds or the fairy would never let her live it down.

 

However, as much as Sojung was weak for Eunha, it was the same the other way around.

 

Eunha couldn’t bear to not be around the mage for more than a day. She always felt that need to be as close to her as much as possible. At one point she thought that she was getting annoying however, after Sojung admitted (with a ton of prodding from Eunha) that she secretly liked the way the fairy clung to her, she made sure that she’d get enough of her ‘Sojung energy’ every single day.

 

Of course, this was all behind closed doors. They had an image to uphold as leaders of their respective regions and they can’t afford to look like teenagers madly in love. Despite that though, Eunha and Sojung always found a way to show their affection for each other in a discreet manner. Eunha had made it a habit to love skinship with her friends just so she could cuddle with Sojung freely even outside, while Sojung put up the excuse of having Eunha as her assistant of the Council just so they could be together.

 

It was a win-win situation for the both of them and the rest of the council were more than supportive of the two.

 

Sojung pat Eunha’s head gently before suddenly leaning down and pecking the fairy’s lips, catching her by surprise if her shocked look was anything to go by.

 

“Go and grab your night things then. I’ll prepare us dinner.” she told the still shocked fairy.

 

Regaining her bearings a minute after, the flustered fairy just teleported out of Sojung’s arms in a flash of light, leaving a chuckling mage behind.

 

As much as Eunha loves skinship, she will never get used to Sojung taking initiative like what she did earlier and the mage enjoys taking her by surprise all the time.


---


Eunha was holding on tightly onto Sojung’s wrist with both of her hands. As Sojung had told her, she was ready to depart by the time Eunha woke up.

 

Looking up at the Council Leader with a begging look, she tried to make her understand that she didn’t want her to go, even if they’ve talked about it the previous day, it still felt different when Sojung would be gone in the next second. Eunha can’t even think of what she can do without the mage.

 

“Do you really really have to go?” Eunha asked Sojung the same question she’s been asking her for the past hour.

 

“Yes, I really really have to go.” Sojung replied with a fond smile on her lips. Eunha’s actions weren’t uncommon in her eyes any longer. With the amount of time they’ve spent by each other’s side, it would be weird if the fairy wouldn't whine everytime she would leave. Even Sojung has to admit that not having the fairy by her side was a new experience, and normally anyone would think they were being too clingy with each other, and she can’t really fault anyone for thinking that way. However, she herself could not explain it.

 

For a reason she has yet to know, she naturally gravitates towards Eunha’s presence and she doesn’t bother fighting against it.

 

Sojung was sure that she will miss the fairy a lot while she is away.

 

“I’ll be back before you know it.” she repeated the same words that she spoke to the fairy the previous night and, after a few more minutes of convincing, the fairy finally let go and wished her a safe trip.

 

“I’ll just go sleep in my bed until you return. That way I won’t miss you too much since I can be with you in my dreams.” Eunha told her.

 

Sojung tried her hardest to fight off the blush beginning to settle on her cheeks at the words suddenly thrown at her. Still flustered, she could only manage to plant a soft kiss on the fairy’s cheek in response before bidding her goodbye as she held the teleportation orb in her hand.

 

As soon as Sojung’s figure finally disappeared from sight, Eunha’s formerly lively demeanor was quickly replaced by lethargy, the emptiness and silence of Sojung’s room reminding her that she was going to be alone for a while. Though she could probably distract herself with some other things while waiting for the mage to return, she opted to just stay true to her word and began to head over to Sojung’s bedroom, burying herself under the covers and closing her eyes, imagining the mage beside her gently caressing her head in an attempt to make her fall asleep.

 

She knew that she was being a bit immature with her behavior. Even she had to admitted she wasn’t as clingy as she feels now, but…call it a premonition of sorts, but she had this urge to make Sojung stay no matter what.

 

She had repeatedly assured herself that no harm will befall Sojung. The mage was too powerful for just anyone to defeat. She’s always trusted that Sojung will return from whichever trip she comes from. She can say that she was just overreacting at the moment, that her worries were unfounded but the feeling won’t go away.

 

Grunting, she pulled the covers over her head and clutched them closer against her frame, letting out a breath to try to calm herself down.

 

“Nothing bad will happen.” Eunha mumbled to herself, eyes closing as she forced herself to sleep,

 

“She’ll be fine.”

 

---

 

A/N

It's Wonha's turn this time ^^ I dunno if this is enough for an intro, but do look forward to the rest.

Thank you for reading. Comments will forever be loved and appreciated <3