Nightmare

Mirage

---

Yet if hope has flown away

In a night, or in a day,

In a vision, or in none,

Is it therefore the less gone?

---

“Yerin!” Eunha almost blasted the doors off the council room as she entered. Cold sweats littered her forehead, eyes wide and unfocused, her breath coming in gasps. She wasn’t even able to register the way Sinb and Yerin jumped nearly 5 feet away from each other at her abrupt entrance.


Sinb was about to reprimand the fairy about knocking when she saw the current state the woman was in .
“Eunha?” Yerin was at her side immediately, just in time before Eunha fell to her knees, unable to keep herself up with how jelly her legs felt out of nervousness. They could clearly see how pale she was, how much she was panicking. They have yet to find out the reason why, but if it was Eunha that was panicking then it was anything but good.


Amongst all the problems that they’ve gone through while being leaders of their region, Eunha was the most calm of them, opting to face each problem with an unwavering determination to tackle it head on instead of worrying over it. Therefore, she wasn’t the type to panic.


The last time she did, nearly half of her entire region’s territory was burned to nothing because of a fairy playing with fire that got out of control.


Yerin was quick to conjure a chair made of vines on the spot and had the fairy take a seat on it, while Sinb handed her a glass of water that she noticed Eunha didn’t even pay attention to. The distress in her face was concerning, and the two shared a look before deciding to ask her what happened.


“Sojung…” Eunha began to say before they could even ask.

 

“What is it?” Sinb was slightly alarmed, “Did something happen to Sojung?”

 

“Eunha what’s going on?”

 

“…Dream…” Eunha could only gasp out, “Sojung, she’s…”


“Dream?” Yerin repeated, trying to piece together what the fairy was trying to say.

 

“Did you have a nightmare?” Sinb asked, “A very bad one at that.”


“Sojung is not… she’s not okay!” Eunha clutched tightly onto the hand that was on her shoulder, “Something happened to her!”


“Eunha, you’ll have to be clearer about this. I don’t think she can be in any danger, she can handle herself just fine…” Sinb continued to insist, thinking that this could be a way to calm down the fairy by telling her that her worries were unfounded and that she didn’t need to be anxious of anything.


“I know, but still…!”


“Would you like to send out a messenger then? Or better yet, let’s consult the oracle.” Yerin suddenly spoke up, already on her feet.

 

Sinb stared, “Yerin…”


“It doesn’t have to be a prediction.” the nymph stared back, “We will ask about the present, but we’ll need to give up something in return or—“


“I’ll pay the price.” Eunha spoke up, “I just... need to know if I’m right or my dream is just playing tricks on me, but I won’t take any chances.”


“Eunha, are you sure?”


The fairy didn’t reply and just marched out of the council room. The two once more shared a look before rushing after her, noticing how serious she was and that now was not the time for jokes.


Within the forest of the nymphs, the three representatives arrived at the steps of the oracle’s home.


The smoke emanating from the house’s chimney being a clear indication that the person they were looking for was inside. It was relief since the last time they needed the person’s help, she was off wandering to parts unknown and it was a hassle just trying to get her back.


“Eunha.” Yerin grabbed the fairy’s wrist before she could take one step closer to the door, “Before you approach, you will have to be sure that you’ll be willing to give whatever is asked of you the moment you request for an answer.”


“I’m ready.” Eunha replied quickly, too quickly if the nymph was asked, but she knew her friend. If she set her mind on something, it will take a lot to convince her otherwise. A lot meaning Sojung.


“You do know that if you hesitate or refuse altogether, you won’t be able to ask again.” she continued and just got a nod in reply. That alone showed the conviction the fairy leader had, it also showed how important the mage was to her.

 

In a way, Yerin understood. If anything had happened to Sinb without her knowing, she would have done the same.
Yerin let out a breath, “Remember to ask for the present and not the future.”


With that, she let go and watched as Eunha approached the door, knocking without hesitation and entered the house as soon as the door swung open, not even looking back at her two friends who stayed behind. They couldn’t really be there while Eunha received the oracle as only one person is allowed.


Eunha looked around the place, having been the first time she stepped foot in the oracle’s home. It was only one room, the receiving room, and it was filled by a bare minimum: only a table and two chairs with the oracle sat down on one of them and looking like she has been expecting the fairy before she even thought of going there.

 

The oracle was covered by a black veil over her head and a cloak that was wrapped around her figure so it was hard to see what she looked like, but for Eunha that didn’t matter. She was here for one purpose and that was what she was going to do. She ignored the cold chill running down her spine as she took the seat across the woman, swallowing slightly in nervousness.

 

“Welcome.” the oracle greeted, her voice completely devoid of emotion that added to the eerie atmosphere that surrounded the room.


“I-I’ve… come to seek answers.” Eunha managed to breathe out.


The oracle just nodded, “I know which answer you seek. Speak and it shall be provided to you.”


---


When the doors of the oracle’s house opened, Yerin, Sinb and Yuna were at her side immediately. While they waited, Sinb had called the shapeshifter over in a hurry and Yuna had arrived not long after. They were about to ask her what the oracle has said but decided to leave it aside the moment she saw the current state the fairy was in.

 

Face pale, her expression conflicted, confused and frustrated, she looked as if she hasn’t noticed their
presence despite being close by. The three could literally see the numerous thoughts swirling around in her mind and it wasn’t giving them any sense of comfort. Whatever the oracle had told her, it was nothing good, or else Eunha wouldn’t be acting this way.


“Eunha…?” Yuna was the first to call out, reaching for the fairy’s hand only to flinch at how cold her hands were, “Eunha? Talk to us. What did the oracle say?”


The said fairy only opened , but no sound came out, instead of struggling to speak, it was as if she didn’t know what to say. Her mind was going at a hundred miles per hour and none of the thoughts she was having made any sense to her. She didn’t exactly know what to think or what to feel.


The three shared a concerned look before deciding it was best that they asked her when they were settled and Eunha regained her bearings about her. Since Eunha wasn’t able to transport them back to the council with how out of it she currently was, Yuna offered to give Eunha a ride on her back which the fairy wasn’t even able to respond to. Before she knew it, the four of them were already walking back, a thick atmosphere hanging over them as they made the trek in complete silence. There were also a lot of questions plaguing their minds but thought it would be best to wait, in consideration of Eunha.


It was around an hour when the fairy finally managed to tell them everything the oracle had said. It was
only a passage. Merely a string of words, but its impact had left a lasting effect on her.


The Sojung you know no longer exists.” Sinb repeated, arms folded across her chest with brows furrowed in slight frustration, “Seriously, would it hurt for the oracle to give a clearer answer?”


“The oracle never gives a clear answer.” Yerin sighed, “Giving a clear answer will impede the flow of the wheel of fate, as per her words. Still, this is concerning.”


“Sojung’s gone…” Eunha mumbled, her tone was soft, but there was emptiness in her words as if she had been mechanically tinkered to say them. Said words brought about silence from the other representatives as her interpretation to the oracle's words echoed within the walls of the council room.


“I don’t believe in that—“

 

“It’s more than clear enough for me.” Eunha interrupted.

 

“Eunha, you don’t know that.”

 

“I do!” she exploded, clamping a hand to as she tried hard to fight off the sobs that were about to escape from her lips, “Y-You weren’t there when the oracle looked me in the eyes and gave me the answer without hesitating. You weren’t there when she spoke them so clearly. You weren’t there when I couldn’t even sense a single lie in what she said.”

 

She struggled to take a deep breath in as her eyes remained focused on the hands on her lap, clutching
tightly onto the white dress she wore, “You weren’t there when she apologized when I said Sojung can’t be gone… I—“ she was unable to continue as her face contorted in pain, her lips forming into a frown and eyes squeezed shut as tears began to flow from them. Yuna approached, bringing the fairy in for a tight hug and it almost felt like she just held a fragile doll to herself. There was no strength left in Eunha’s body, the emotional distress the fairy was going through seeping away at the remaining
strength she had.

 

Looking over worriedly at the other representatives who mirrored the shapeshifter’s gaze, Yerin stood up, her eyes not leaving Eunha’s form.


“I’m not believing it until I see for myself.” Sinb spoke, standing up as well.


“I share the same sentiments.” Yerin agreed, “I’m disappointed, Eunha. I would never have expected you of all people to give up this easily.”


“Yerin.” Yuna called out the nymph’s name in a tone of warning.


The shapeshifter didn’t even flinch at the glare Yerin gave her.


“Is this all there is to your belief in Sojung, Eunha?” Yerin went on, approaching the distressed fairy, “Merely because the oracle said so, then it is so?”


“The oracle is never wrong Yerin.”


“Her words have a thousand interpretations to them.” she retorted, “And Sojung being gone can only be one of the thousand. I’ll be looking for the other 999 interpretations to this, and if your faith and belief in Sojung is as fragile as you’ve showed me, then I have sorely underestimated your affection for her. Disappointment wouldn’t even cover half of what I think of you right now.”

 

“Yerin, that’s too much, even for you.” Yuna let go of Eunha and stood in between her and the fairy, as if daring the nymph to say any more.


“She needs to come to her senses!” Yerin frowned, “Eunha, are you seriously settling with this? You will just accept your thoughts and walk away? This isn’t the leader of the fairies that I know.”


The tense silence that followed was deafening. Not even their breaths could be heard as they waited anxiously for the fairy’s response. At that point, Yerin was desperately trying to get Eunha to think and agree with her and if the truth of her words was what she needed then the truth she will get. No one can lie to Eunha after all.

 

“Then perhaps you don’t know me at all.” Eunha finally replied after a few minutes, not even bothering to look up at her.

 

Yerin resumed her stoic expression at the fairy’s words and turned her heel, walking out the room in complete disappointment. It certainly hurt her to see her friend that way, but standing around and convincing Eunha to think otherwise was more of a waste of time.


Yuna let out the breath that she’s been holding in before turning to the fairy.

 

“Are you okay?”


“No.”


Yuna mentally slapped herself. She should’ve known better that to ask a stupid question.


“Yerin didn’t mean to say—“


“Don’t bother Yuna.” she shook her head, “Yerin knew she can’t lie to me so she just said what she wanted to say. I don’t blame her for it. I’m—She’s right anyway.”


“Eunha, she can’t be right. You believe in Sojung more than anyone else does, but I don’t understand. Why are you giving up so easily? She’s gone at the present, but maybe in the future—“


“That’s the thing Yuna.” Eunha cut her off, “I asked the oracle for the future, not the present.”


---


A few hours have passed with the shapeshifter not leaving the fairy’s side, trying to get her to speak or even request anything that she needed but it was like talking to a hollow vessel, or even a rock at that point. Eunha was completely out of it and it hurt her to see her friend in such a state.

 

She had always been a lively person no matter the situation, but hearing of news concerning Sojung was more than enough to make her this way. It only showed how much the mage mattered to her.


A few more minutes of waiting and Yuna finally came to a decision to ask for help. She took out her phone and called Yewon, informing her of what has happened. To say that the human was worried was an understatement, given how close she had become with the mage. She had looked up to her as an older sister and a role model and aspires to be a great leader like she is, so to hear that the mage has gone missing (Yuna felt it was for the best that she did not say she was gone) got her to ask Yuna about
Eunha’s current state and also what they plan to do now.

 

“Yerin and Sinb’s currently working on it.” Yuna answered, looking over at Eunha who was still in a half- dazed state at the corner of the room, “Eunha’s… well, Eunha’s not doing so good right now.”


Is there anything I can do?”


“I was about to ask you if you can take care of Eunha for a while?” Yuna asked.

 

You mean she’ll be staying over for a while?"

 

​​​“Not… well, not exactly. Eunha can’t really leave because she still has her duties as a fairy representative so I was hoping if you’d like to stay here for a short while until we figure out what’s going on?”


Sure.”


Yuna stared at the phone in surprise at how quick Yewon came to a decision, “Huh?”


It’s our break anyway and I have nothing else to do so I don’t see why not.”


“You’re an angel, Yewon. I’ll open the transport circle then.” Yuna replied, smiling slightly at how considerate Yewon was being.


Though the human said she was on break, Yuna knew better. The younger woman had a whole semester of tasks that she had to finish before break was over and here she was, willing to put them aside just for a friend. She’ll have to ask Yerin for a favor so Yewon can catch up with her school duties after all the trouble she’s caused the woman.


When Yewon finally arrived, the human rushed past Yuna and headed straight for Eunha’s direction, in a second she was kneeling by the fairy’s side, a hand placed gently above hers currently resting on her lap. Eunha looked up momentarily, not realizing who it was before her eyes widened upon seeing her human friend before her.

 

“Yewon?” Eunha managed to croak out.

 

Said person didn’t say anything and just enveloped the older woman in a tight hug. Yewon knew that words of comfort weren’t going to help her, but she wanted her to understand that she wasn’t alone in this, that she was by her side and she doesn’t want her to forget that. That, despite her being a human and not supernatural like the rest of them are, she was more than willing to do anything in her power to alleviate her suffering even for a bit.


In this moment she knew that no matter how powerful you are, no amount of power can remedy emotional pain.

 

Eunha accepted the hug willingly, burying herself further into the woman’s embrace. She could sense all the emotions Yewon was feeling in that moment and she couldn’t help but let out a sob at how all of them were mirroring the emotions she felt. Yewon was hurting for her. Yewon was also in pain because she was in pain. Yewon understood what she was going through and what she needed and the fairy thinks that it was more than enough. It was better than what words could offer.

 

“I’m here.” Yewon rested her chin atop Eunha’s head, gently her hair in an act of comfort.

 

Eunha just nodded, her small hands grasping almost desperately at the younger woman’s arms. Her entire body shook, sobs wracking over her entire being as she let the flood of tears pour out once more. She felt completely weak, having no idea what to do anymore. Her own emotions were in complete turmoil. She didn’t know what to think or what she should feel. Everything was confusing her and she was having a hard time handling everything coming at her all at once.Yewon felt like a pillar of support that she can lean on in that moment. It was all she could ask for.


It felt like hours when Eunha finally calmed down enough for her to narrate everything that’s happened. After hearing the whole story, Yewon understood why she was acting that way. She probably wouldn’t be in this state if Sojung was missing, but it was entirely different story if she was considered ‘non-existent’.


“I don’t understand why Yerin-unnie told you to ask for the present instead of the future.” Yewon spoke her thoughts, turning to Yuna for answers.


“The oracle is called an oracle for a reason.” Yuna explained, “When you ask her something, it’s immediately assumed that you’re asking for the future and the price is half your life. It’s why Yerin made sure that she asked for the present since doing so will ask for material things in exchange instead.”


Yewon gasped, turning to Eunha, “And you asked for the future!? And gave up half your life!?”


“I-I had to know…”


“Eunha-unnie—“


“What’s done is done and I got my answer.” Eunha cut her off, “I know you’re probably mad at me and you’re free to hate me, but I don’t think it changes anything. A life without Sojung is no life at all, a half of it won’t make any difference.”


Yewon let out an exasperated sigh, combing her hair back in slight frustration. Seriously, Eunha should value her life a bit more.


“I… I honestly don’t even know where to start right now.” Yewon mumbled, “Has it ever crossed your mind that Sojung-unnie isn’t really gone like the oracle says she is?”

 

“The oracle’s words are absolute.”


“But vague.” Yewon pointed out.


“Anyway, I’m curious about one thing Eunha. What happened in that dream of yours? Sinb didn’t really give me the exact details.” Yuna asked, taking a seat beside her.

 

“I never really got the chance to.” Eunha told her, “I wasn’t able to tell Sinb and Yerin about it because I was panicking. Come to think of it, I should apologize to them soon.”


“I’m sure they forgive you.” Yewon assured her.


“Not when they find out you gave up half of your life...” Yuna grumbled, whining in pain when she received an elbow to the side from Yewon. She was about to ask her why when she saw the stare the younger woman was giving her. She knew that look anywhere and immediately did what she had to do. Keep quiet.

 

“The dream was a bit unclear, and I can only remember a few things.” Eunha began to say, her brows furrowed as she tried to remember, “She was in a desert. I know because there was sand everywhere and she was holding a flower… And then this huge sandstorm came, she couldn’t fight against it and when it ended Sojung was gone. I woke up after that.”


“That’s definitely not good… No wonder you got here so quick.” Yuna remarked, a frown on her face visible while Yewon looked over at the two in wonder.


“If it were a normal nightmare, it would be fine.” Eunha tried to explain to the human, “But I’ve established a deep connection with Sojung. It didn’t seem fair that she only put spells on us for her to know if we’re in danger. I thought what if she was the one in danger? So I asked her if she’ll allow me to have a mind link with her. It’s something I can do as an empath as long as I have the permission of the person. If anything happens to her I’d sense it immediately, that’s why I knew…


“The moment I woke up, I reached out to her but I couldn’t feel anything. The link wasn’t there no matter how hard I tried to concentrate, that’s why I panicked and—“ she trailed off, burying her head in her hands again, Yewon wrapping her arms around her automatically, trying her best to console thef airy. It must have been hard for her to know something happened but having no idea what went on, adding to that the words of the oracle. It was no wonder she’d be so broken over it.

 

“I’m sure Yerin-unnie’s already doing something. Even with all that we can’t just give up on it now.” Yewon convinced the fairy, “You can’t give up unless you see and hear everything for yourself.”

 

“But Yewon…”

 

“What if Sojung-unnie’s just gone and needs help? What if that’s what the oracle meant? Unnie, we can’t be sure of anything unless we do something.” the younger woman grasped her hand tightly in hers, and upon hearing those words Eunha perked up, “You see it, right unnie? The oracle’s words are vague and can mean a million things—“

 

“Yerin said thousand.“ Yuna piped in.

 

“Not the point.” Yewon was quick to cut her off, “What she said can mean anything and it will stay that way unless you stand up.” She pulled on her arms to prove her point, and once the fairy was on her feet, she continued, “Get out there and look for her.”


The fairy looked back at Yewon, still looking unsure. One could tell that all the evidence she has that proves Sojung is no longer with them is outweighing the possibility that she is still out there.


“Eunha-unnie, do you really believe Sojung-unnie’s gone?” Yewon continued to ask.


“But that’s what everything’s pointing to…”


“I’m not asking what everything is saying, I’m asking what you think.” she rephrased, “Deep inside you, is she really gone? Do you really want to believe that there’s no longer any hope that she’s still out there? Because if even a single part of you believes that she’s alive then that’s all we need to act.”

 

Eunha stared back into the human’s eyes, now having a different glint of something in them. A hint of realization. Of course she didn’t want to believe it. Of course she wanted to hold onto the hope that she’s still out there and that she will come back. It would be stupid of her to just accept the outcome without having second thoughts.


Eunha looked back at Yewon again. What was once a face full of sorrow was now filled with a hint of determination that Yewon found satisfying to see. It felt like she had just accomplished something big and was more than glad to have come upon hearing Yuna say that the fairy needed help. Meanwhile the shapeshifter was also staring proudly at her girlfriend, patting herself on the back for having come to a decision to ask for her help.


Eunha sniffled slightly, bringing up her arm to wipe of some of the tears that were close to drying on her cheeks, “I’ll have to apologize to Yerin right now...”


“I'm here.” Yerin entered the room, with Sinb in tow, but they wore conflicted looks as well as that of confusion as if they didn’t know what to make of the situation, "But I don't think there's time for that..."


They watched as Yuna suddenly looked around her before shifting into her dog form and lifted her nose high up in the air, sniffing the surroundings and then tilting her head as if not understanding what it was she just discovered.


What?” she mumbled, mostly to herself but everyone could tell how surprised she was.


“Yerin-unnie?” Yewon thought it was best that she asked, since Eunha seemed just as confused as she was. Eunha could sense a bunch of emotions coming from them, but the one that dominated was confusion from all of them.


She doesn’t understand what would make Yerin look so confused while Sinb was feeling relieved.

 

“Well…” Yerin inhaled in deeply before speaking, “She… Sojung just arrived.”

 

---

 

A/N 

 

I don't even know where I'm going with this. XD 

 

​​​​​​Thanks very much to subscribers and upvotes <3 Comments remain to be loved and appreciated. See you next chapter ^^