Chapter 8

Spectrum

He couldn’t lie, Jonghyun looked incredibly cute in his oversized jacket. In fact, he couldn’t help himself from sliding his arms around his face and kissing the tip of his nose. It was crazy to even assume that he could control himself in the presence of the person who was fated to be his. They soon drove back to the warehouse and double-checked all the equipment they needed for their heist. During their last trip to the museum, they had noticed that only the bags were screened, with no sign of any body scanners. An easy way of getting their equipment inside was to hide them inside their camera lens or just to wear baggy clothes and hide them in there. All we wanted to do was to take that particular painting without triggering any alarms. They already had a cheap print of it ready to replace it with, all ready and rolled into one of the lenses. Knowing that their disguise needed to fit the occasion, Jinki began to dress almost exactly like Jonghyun. In a sapphire blue silk shirt, he exuded confidence and actually looked like a serious photographer, with his professional camera around his neck. Jonghyun, on the other hand, was dressed as one of the workers. With his light green shirt and overalls, he certainly looked authentic. As per what they had noticed during their visit, the workers had no ID, but they arrived as a group, so it would be easy to blend in and pretend to be one of them. No one would suspect anything, but Jonghyun certainly had to be extra careful not to draw any undue attention to himself.

Jinki had already taken his stance outside the museum and began to take pictures of the architecture. Those passing by kept stopping to ask him to take their picture as well, and Jinki was now certain that his cover couldn’t be blown. As he slowly walked inside the museum, the guards didn’t even glance twice at him, as they had already seen that he was only taking pictures. Watching Jonghyun with the corner of his eye, Jinki continued to take pictures of all the exhibits.

Jonghyun, who had become part of the cleaning crew, was watching everyone around him like a hawk. His plan was to somehow get into the room where the cameras were being monitored, and do what he could, to the system to give them the crucial ten minutes they needed. At the moment, there was nothing much he could do, since the rest of the cleaning crew were posted everywhere around the museum. Almost throwing away his mop in frustration, he realized that they might have to try again some other day, with different disguises. Just as he was about to give up entirely, he heard shouts from his targeted room. Someone had spilled their drink over all the crucial wires and equipment, which had now made their job incredibly easy. With the security guards running around, Jonghyun signalled to Jinki that it was now time for them to do what they needed.

Taking a deep breath, Jinki took a step towards their targeted painting, hoping there would be no additional security alarms during the day. As he touched the frame and carefully removed it from the nail, he was honestly shocked to find that nothing had happened. Perhaps the spill had affected all of the security measures. Turning the frame around, he took the tiny pocket knife that he had hidden in the case of his camera and deftly began to remove the key staples that were holding the painting in place. He then began to cut a hole in the back of the canvas to be able to take out the original and replace it with the print he had. Knowing that this was the most crucial part, he relied entirely on Jonghyun’s signal to let him know if there was anyone approaching the area. Although he didn’t have much time, he first fixed the print to the frame from the front and began the painstaking process of removing the original without damaging it in any way. Even a non-collector knew that the smallest tear would cost them a huge amount of money. If they had the cover of night, they would have all the time they needed, but at this moment, all he needed was speed and precision. Struggling to be careful, Jinki heaved a sigh as he was finally able to get what he wanted. Wasting no time, he carefully rolled it up and placed it into his lens case. Taking the superglue, he stuck the part he had cut and placed the painting right where he had taken it from. The entire process hadn’t taken more than ten minutes, and when he looked from afar, the print seemed to be pretty real. If they hightailed it right then, it would certainly seem more than suspicious so, with his heart thudding in his chest, Jinki continued taking pictures and walked out of the museum.

Jonghyun finished his cleaning duties and calmly walked behind the others until he reached the van they had come in. Taking the chance that was given to him, he ran as fast as he could and hid behind a parked car as he took off the overalls, revealing his black pants. Listening to the sound of Jinki’s motorbike being revived, Jonghyun raced towards him and clambered on, gripping his waist tightly as they drove to their secret spot. This time, instead of feeling exhilarated, he felt guilty. He’d made Jinki steal a painting just for his own fancy, just to see how much he would do for him. Could he really be honest and tell him that he could afford to buy all the paintings he ever wanted? There was absolutely no need to make the stupid plan, but now he’d have to pretend to sell it to an art curator. He couldn’t keep lying and hiding things from Jinki any longer. As they took the painting out of the lens and spread it, he could see Jinki’s face light up.

“Do you want to keep this one, Jinki?”

“It’s beautiful, but there’s no need for it. Sell it after a month. Isn’t that what you wanted?”

“Let’s hold onto it for a while longer”