Chapter 1

Spectrum

Waking up as usual, Jinki looked around his room, hoping to see something different for once in his life. However, everything remained black and white to him. There was a legend that his town had been cursed many centuries ago, and all the inhabitants would only see in black and white until they come face to face with their soulmates. He had been single for 25 years already, and it seemed as though his so-called Prince Charming had taken a wrong turn somewhere and was still wandering around in the middle of nowhere. With the way his life was going, it wouldn’t surprise him if he couldn’t see colours till he was on his deathbed. After all, he was known for being rather unlucky in life, along with being clumsy. Not a day went by, without him hurting himself in some way, either by hitting his head or banging his foot somewhere. It would be funny if his expected soulmate was a doctor. Since he worked at a bank, he would meet at least a hundred people a day, and there was absolutely no guarantee of him meeting anyone who would make any kind of difference in his life. As soon as he had handed the last bill to the customer as was done for the day, the real Jinki came out. Walking to the main cabin, Jinki stripped out of his plain, crisp, white shirt and red tie, leaving his vest behind. The black ripped vest was the only part of his secret life that he always had on. Somehow, it felt good. As if he was always hugging this secret to himself. Pulling on his black, studded leather jacket, he lined his eyes as thick as he could before walking towards his motorbike. Who would’ve thought that a seemingly boring bank employee would have a secret like this? Smiling to himself as he caressed the seat of the vintage Harley Davidson that waited for him. Truth be told, he had spent most of his money on customizing this beauty, that now was done in black and gold, with gold studs all over, including the outlines of the seat. Since he couldn’t see colours yet, Jinki had his married friends shop for him and help him. Honestly, it was a real inconvenience to him, but Jinki was more than prepared to use his gut instincts to choose what he wanted. He had chosen a job he hated, just to please his family but the night always remained his. When he rode around the town at night, the wind blowing his hair back made him feel like Superman, he was the happiest. Knowing that his so-called secret life would never be accepted by his family, he had been forced to create a sort of double life for himself.

Jonghyun, a master picker of locks was busy fiddling around with the tools in his hand when the magic happened. The safe he had been working on popped open to reveal bundles of cash strapped together. Smiling with the satisfaction of a job well done, Jonghyun swept all the bundles into his backpack, before putting on his mouth mask. Hearing the sound of police sirens in the distance, he was struck by the realisation that he had just been played. When he was dared to break into a safe that no one else could, Jonghyun hadn’t even thought for a second that it could be a trap. However, what was life without a bit of fun? Swinging his backpack around his shoulders, Jonghyun opened the window and skimmed down the pipe like an eel. They’d have to find him before they could catch him, and there was no way in hell he could allow himself to get caught. Grinning as his feet hit the ground, Jonghyun started to run like his life depended on it, slipping through the winding streets, and leading his pursuers on a merry dance. Hearing the sound of a motorbike coming his way, he tilted his head to make sure that it wasn’t the police. Just one glance was more than enough, the man riding it seemed to be dressed as a goth, in his leather jacket. With no time to spare, Jonghyun increased his pace and managed to jump right onto the Harley.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“Just drive, damn it!”

Although he was shocked, Jinki didn’t show it and cleverly guessed that whoever this person was, he was surely hiding from the cops. With no time to spare, Jinki drove faster till they reached the adjacent town to his own, only concentrating on the black road in front of him. Finally noticing the street lights glowing a bright yellow, he slammed the breaks, struggling to figure out what had just happened to him. Why could he suddenly see a colour? Strangely, his first thought was to look at his Harley and confirm that the colours were actually done the way he wanted it. Finally comprehending the meaning of his sudden and unusual ability, he turned around to look at the person behind him. With dark brown hair with caramel highlights and bright brown eyes, Jinki really wished that he could see his entire face.

“Who are you?”

“The less you know, the better”

The sudden interest of the person who just saved him was too much for Jonghyun to deal with at that moment. It wouldn’t do for that man to know anything that could help in picking him out in a police lineup. Jumping down from the stationary bike, Jonghyun thanked his instincts that made him keep his mask on. Walking cooly till he reached a stretch of buildings, he slipped inside one of them until he saw the man ride away.

Jinki had just been shown what colours were, and this was something he needed in his life. Even for just a few moments he was able to see so much, and the second he saw the masked man walk away, his vision went right back to black and white. Even though he knew that there was no way of him recognizing the man if he saw him again, there was nothing more that he wanted to do. From now on, all he could do was keep an eye out for all those with similar hair colours, and wait to see if his vision changed or not. Until then, he would just drive around the area where he had got off and hope for the best. With his current vision, all he would be able to see is dark hair with light grey highlights, which didn’t make his goal any easier. As he reached home and parked his baby, Jinki noticed with horror that one of the studs were missing from the back. He had been so careful, how could he have not noticed this before? Anyway, he didn’t have the time to worry now, as he had to become the dutiful son yet again. Changing back to his work clothes, he entered his house to the scrumptious smells of his mother’s cooking. For now, he could focus on satiating his stomach.