One

retrograde
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie was holding her camera while crossing the streets of Seoul. She was looking for a new spot for her latest portfolio. The woman was working in an old company that prints magazines about the latest trends in the country and ships them worldwide.

 

She turns her head from left to right, positions her camera and tries various angles and captures the subject. Jennie looks at the captured pictures on her camera, and she wasn't satisfied with her performance.

 

The Korean tries to aim for a good shot. Her camera was focused on a tall woman wearing a black coat and turtleneck. She fixes the angle to get a better perspective of the subject.

 

The woman was looking at the displays on a cat store, and Jennie only captured her back. Jennie reviews her shots and she was happy to see the aftermath.

 

Jennie realized that she was on the other side of the road. The Korean wants to get the name of the woman to invite her to Jennie's studio, so she waits for the light to turn green.

 

The woman was still looking at the displays when Jennie noticed the light turns green. Jennie was in a hurry and was bumping people who were on her way. Her hazel brown eyes were fixed on the woman's body, and suddenly, she bumps on her co-worker, Rosé.

 

"Jen? What are you--"

 

"Wait for me. I need to find someone,"

 

Jennie runs as she tries to see if the woman was still there. She arrives at the store and her shoulders sagged when she found nothing. Jennie tries to look at different directions, but the woman left her spot before Jennie arrives.

 

The Korean was panting and leans against the wall. She tries to figure out how she would find the girl on the photo.

 

"Why are you running earlier?" Rosé asks, handing her a bottle of water.

 

Jennie accepts it and drinks before answering. "I saw a woman and took a photo of her for my portfolio. I want to know her name and invite her to my studio, but she left before I could even approach her,"

 

Rosé's eyebrows furrow as she understands Jennie's story. "The light was green, Jen. How did you not--"

 

"Because I bumped into you!"

 

The younger scoffs, surprised by Jennie's suddenly accusations. "Not my fault. You were not looking at the people in front of you."

 

Jennie rolls her eyes in defeat. She looks at the photograph for the second time, but she couldn't recognize it.

 

Rosé joins her on reviewing her shots. The younger was amazed by her senior's skills and she couldn't stop praising Jennie. The photographer should be bragging by now due to the constant praising of her junior, but she's in deep thoughts.

 

"The shot was good, unnie. But the angle makes it difficult to see the woman's face,"

 

Jennie agrees to Rosé. She nods her head and stands up. Rosé follows her to talk about the woman.

 

"How are you going to find her?"

 

Jennie sighs. "I don't know. Let's just wait until I see her again."

 

 

 

 

"Your portfolio was perfectly suited for our theme,"

 

The head of the Photography Department praises Jennie's photography skills. She bows her head as a sign of gratitude and humbleness.

 

"As I look through your works, this one intrigues me the most." The head points the picture she took last night at the busy street of Seoul.

 

Jennie was confused. She looks at the photo and examines it, but she couldn't find something that can make the photo intriguing.

 

"Why?"

 

"The posture of the woman was perfect; the way she stood in front of the shop made me think of someone,"

 

The Korean thinks hard and deep. Does the head of their department knows the girl?

 

"Do you, perhaps, know the girl?"

 

The middle-aged man laughs, "No, I was just thinking too much."

 

Disappointment was visible on Jennie's face. I thought I could find her.

 

Jennie bows at her boss and went to the door. She was about to open the door when the man says something.

 

"I would like to talk to you tomorrow, Ms. Kim."

 

The woman nods and heads back to her cubicle. She spots Rosé sitting on a chair beside hers.

 

"I don't have foods at my drawers, Park,"

 

Jennie sighs as she sits on her chair.

 

Rosé was doing a surprised face to Jennie, but she notices the tired look on her senior's face. She moves forward and puts Jennie's hair strands at the back of her ear.

 

"Did he reject your portfolio?"

 

Jennie immediately shook her head, and that made Rosé think about something.

 

"Why are you sulking?"

 

"I'm not sulking," Jennie crosses her arms on the table and leans her forehead on her arms. "The head likes it, he said it was perfect for our theme."

 

"Then why are you acting like that?"

 

"He said the woman in front of the store intrigued him,"

 

Rosé was shocked and squealed. The people at the Photography Department turn their heads at Rosé and gave her a questioning look. Jennie was fast to apologize at them.

 

The younger earns a slap on her arm from Jennie. Her sharp eyes turn sharper and it was all thanks to her junior.

 

"Lower your god damn voice, Park Chaeyoung."

 

Rosé bows lightly at Jennie. Even if they're friends, the younger never fails to give respect on her senior. Jennie lets Rosé call her without formality because it irritates her.

 

"He said the woman made him think of someone. I thought he knew who the girl was, but he said he was just thinking too much,"

 

Jennie's narration catches Rosé's attention. She scoots more beside Jennie until there's no more space for them. It suffocates the older, but she chooses to not give any malice on the action.

 

"That means he knew who the girl was, but he wasn't that sure about it because he couldn't see the face,"

 

The junior's answer made Jennie think about more the girl. She sighs loudly; she was so tired of thinking about the woman. She should focus more on her portfolio. Jennie remembers something.

 

"Did he say something like he needs to talk to you?"

 

"Who?"

 

"Boss,"

 

Jennie saw how Rosé's face turns into a series one. She's looking up on the ceiling while her eyebrows were furrowed.

 

The junior shook her head. "Nothing. Why?"

 

"Never mind. Go back to your cubicle and do your job, the supervisor might see you."

 

The day ends and Jennie was still thinking about the girl. She changes to her Michael Jackson hoodie and brings her camera.

 

Jennie was eager to know who the woman was. She walks on the familiar street of Seoul as she wanders around, still looking for the trace of the girl.

 

The nightlife of Seoul was aesthetically beautiful; the lights coming from different stores illuminate the streets. She positions her camera in front of her eye and captures the scene with her best angle.

 

People crossing the street was a good thing to add on her portfolio, so she takes a picture of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter