Who Knows Who

Best Part

Jiwoo waved energetically, her arms flying as she sends hearts everywhere. She’d been on nonstop since she’d arrived in her first schedule. Breakfast and coffee in her system. Now, she could feel the continuous energy gave and shared throughout the day began to drain. She could use a break. She didn’t want to end the fan meet but she had to rest before her next schedule. She yelled her final goodbyes and love yous to her fans and slipped through the exit curtain. A staff immediately stopped her in her tracks telling her to leave the penguin plushie she wasn’t even aware she was hugging.

She pouted but proceeded to hand it over to the staff. She was then told to meet her manager, Kang Min, in the van. It made her wonder. Jiwoo didn’t notice her disappear. She bowed in gratitude before leaving. On her way, she humbly greeted and bowed to every person she passes. She saw their black van on the distance. Someone handed a brown paper bag to her manager. Upon seeing the logo of her favorite restaurant, her steps quicken. A huge smile forming on her face. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her she hasn’t eaten since her 7 a.m breakfast and it’s already past noon.

“Jiwoo! There you are. Here,” Min ushered her inside the van then closed the door. “I’m sure you’re starving. Should’ve fed you before your fan meeting, I’m sorry.” she gave Jiwoo a meal box that smelled divine. Utensils and tissues then followed. “You have 4 hours to rest before we head to Lunar Radio.”

Jiwoo sighed happily, almost drooling as she opens the box. “No need to say sorry, unnie. I know firsthand how hectic our schedule is. Thank you for ordering my favorite.” She shoved a spoonful in . “Hmm! So good. By the way, can I go somewhere during my rest instead?”

“Won’t you rather rest?”

“I want to, but I also want to meet this one.”

Min stared at her like she’s dissecting a frog. Her eyes squinted and her brows furrowed in concentration mixed with suspicion. “You don’t have a boyfriend yet, don’t you Kim Jiwoo? Remember in the contra—”

Jiwoo burst out laughing despite trying to hold it in. “No, unnie. I don’t have a boyfriend. I’m only going to meet an old friend of mine, a female friend of mine.”

“Well, that’s more troubling. This is a conservative country, they won’t be accepting your relationship and you’ll be getting hate that will probably hinder your career. And I’m not saying this because I disapprove of homoual relationships, truth to be told I’m bi and had a girlfriend before. What I’m trying to say is, I don’t want you to lose your dream.”

Jiwoo stared at Min with wide eyes and mouth open. She found herself shocked and speechless at what just her manager had laid out in the open. She tried to process her manager’s words with difficulties. Jiwoo would never expect to have a conversation like this with her manager. Has she been giving off gay signals? She almost laughed to herself.

Strong gay signals.

She panicked for a second before composing herself. “It’s not like that, unnie. She’s just a friend of mine.” Then she noticed she hasn’t corrected that there’s a possibility she could have a homoual relationship. Before she could deny something, her manager beat her to it.

“You don’t have any feelings for her or anything?” said Min and the van roared into life before starting. Giving Jiwoo time to answer her question.

“No, unnie. I don’t.” She took a sip from her bottled water. Her mind suddenly flashed to her pure adoration filled antics concerning Jungeun. “No need to worry,” she said. She only has to be careful it doesn’t develop into something more romantic than just best-friendly adoration.

“Okay then, where should we drop you?”

Jiwoo muttered the address where Jungeun worked at. Only knowing about it yesterday after asking Jungeun through text. They had been texting each other nonstop whenever Jiwoo could find the chance. Jiwoo remembered Jungeun telling her not to visit her at work without notice. In an instant, she asked for her phone.

After sending a text, she turned to her manager with a huge smile. “Did you say, girlfriend?” Her tone teasing and giggly.

She heard her manager say something under her breath but Jiwoo continued to stare at her, lips not even twitching.

“Eat your food, Kim Jiwoo.”

 

 

 

Jiwoo stepped out of the van and into a parking lot. A navy blue baseball cap on her head and a white mask over her face. She looked up at the clear blue sky, squinting her eyes through the flare of the sun. She pulled down her white polo and checked herself out. A bit of chicken skin on her rose gold vest caught her eyes and she flicked it off before straightening her white skirt.

“Take care of yourself,‌ Jiwoo. Just text if you’re done for a fetch.”

Jiwoo waved goodbye to her manager and the driver. She turned and looked at the white modern two-story building in front of her. A Blu Beta Bang neon sign in blue and purple color hanged on top of the black-tinted double glass entrance door, the light on the sign was turned off but it’s nevertheless eye-catching. She took notice of the crowd walking by, a mother walking with her child, a businessman rushing almost tripping on the curb of the sidewalk, two women went inside the PC‌ Bang, then a group of men laughed as they walk carrying cups of lattes from the cafe that Jiwoo recognized. It has good traffic, a nice environment, with plenty of shops and stores for entertainment and commercial. Jiwoo was glad no one had seemed to recognize her or if someone has, they either respect her personal private life or they simply don’t care.

Jiwoo walked across the parking lot and into the front of the building. She reached for the handle when the door opened.

“Jiw— uh… Chuu! You’re here.” Jungeun in all black—sweater, jeans, and converse, grabbed her and walked to the sidewalk in a hurry.

“Jungeun?”

“Would you come to my friend’s birthday this Wednesday?” Jungeun asked without stopping. Her hand now holding Jiwoo’s.

“That’s two days from now, I’ll have to check my schedule. But I think, I could recall it’s not too hectic. Wait, why are you in such a hurry?”

Jungeun finally stopped in her tracks then turned to her. Jiwoo noticed they are standing at the entrance of the said cafe that she knows, My Deer. “I’m not yet ready to introduce you to my friends. They’re… they’re a bunch.”

Jiwoo tilted her head to the side. Watching Jungeun worry her bottom lip between her teeth. “Okay? Why didn’t you just text me to meet you here?”

Jungeun sighed and went inside the cafe. “Jinsoul—my boss and my friend, took it after I just read your text. Saying it’s a new policy and , but I know better.” Jungeun stepped in line then faced Jiwoo. “She noticed that I’m on my phone a lot, she’s probably curious about who I am texting. It was too late when‌ I got my phone back to text you, so I kept one eye on the security camera in front of the building. By the way, you look really great today.”

“Thanks, you look y with all black,” Jiwoo said and laughed when Jungeun blushed just as she had expected. “You really didn’t want me to see them, huh? Spying on the cameras.” She shook her head in amusement, raising a hand when Jungeun opened to explain. “It’s fine. I want you all to myself right now, anyway.”

Jungeun smiled and squeezed her hand. “I’m all yours. Now, what do you want to order?”

Jiwoo removed her mask and laid out her order without needing to read the menu board. She has two favorite drinks she only orders in this cafe, alternating them depending on her mood. It’s the cakes she has to check and see for herself, though. One glance, she opted for two slices of strawberry cheesecake. Then both moved up in line and unto the counter.

“Unnie?!”

“Yeojin?” Jiwoo barely managed to keep her voice low. She didn’t know the young woman is working part-time.

“Ji–”

“Uh, Chuu here will take one venti red velvet vanilla frappe,” Jungeun cut off and gave Yeojin a hard look. “And a tall caramel espresso for me.”

Jiwoo was thankful for the nickname Jungeun came up with. She doesn’t want to risk losing the current privacy she’s reveling in and had been unconsciously missing.

Yeojin cleared then picked up their cup. “Coming right up,” she said, smiling sheepishly at Jiwoo. “I’ll talk to you later, unnie.”

Jiwoo and Jungeun settled on a red coach seat at the very side of the room. Facing each other with Jiwoo’s back the crowd. A warm light cast over them, providing enough privacy.

“You know the kid?” Jungeun nudged her chin towards Yeojin’s direction.

“Yeah. Met Yeojin during an unfortunate time for her, just three weeks ago.” Jiwoo smiled sadly, letting the memory wash over her.

Jungeun leaned forward in her seat. “What do you mean?”

“Yerim—a friend of mine who I met at art school—and I were walking by this school where Yeojin used to study.” Jiwoo sighed heavily like it was emotionally draining for her to talk about their encounter. “Came across her walking—no, limping, at the sidewalk with battered dirty uniform and bruises forming everywhere on her. When we asked what happened, she broke down crying telling us she couldn’t handle the bullying anymore. We accompanied Yeojin home and treated her wounds.” Jiwoo’s eyes locked with Jungeun’s across the table. Her eyes burning intensely. “Then we went back to her school, demanded to talk with the head. He wouldn’t listen to us, he thought we were just crazy passerby making up stories. Luckily for us, there was security footage where poor Yeojin took the beating. The young woman tried to run when one of the bullies, a senior.”‌ Jiwoo paused, shaking her head. “Tackled her then began ganging up on her.”

Jiwoo leaned back on the couch. Seeing justice being served, it was a feeling she would never forget. She watched Jungeun hold back her anger. Though her ears had turned red and her posture became rigid. “Least to say, those seniors were expelled. Yeojin transferred to another, better school. We did everything to help her along the way. Yeojin didn’t deserve what happened to her, no one deserves that. I wish this country would do something more about all the acts of bullying.”

 

 

 

 

Jungeun had a sudden strong urge to walk up to Yeojin and hug the young woman. She couldn’t believe that the kid who served her with a bright cheery smile on her face every morning had gone through something like that. People really do hide their pain through their smiles. Jungeun eyed Jiwoo, the distraught she’s feeling just thinking about the memory was obvious. The woman had so much empathy that Jungeun often finds herself lacking, what she was feeling after hearing the story was probably three times stronger for Jiwoo.

Upon spending most of her childhood with Jiwoo, she knew the woman would do everything just to make everybody happy. Jungeun often thinks that even the world doesn’t deserve her friend. Self-deprecating thoughts followed that line, to extinguish her burning attraction towards Jiwoo that keeps on growing faster than a wildfire.

“Here’s your order, unnie.” Yeojin appeared at their table, a huge smile on her face. The delight in seeing Jiwoo was apparent on her face. Jungeun could clearly see how much Yeojin adored Jiwoo.

“Oh, you didn’t have to bring the order to us, Yeojin-ah. I’m sure you’re busy.” Jiwoo took the drinks from Yeojin and placed it on the table.

“I’m taking my break. Can I seat?”

“Of course,” said Jiwoo then stood up. “But, give me my hug first.”

Yeojin crushed Jiwoo in a bear-hug. Making the woman giggle breathily. When they pulled away, Jiwoo gestured towards Jungeun.

“This is my dear friend, Jungeun.”

Yeojin’s smile widen when her eyes had set on Jungeun. “I know Jungeun unnie. She buys coffee here every day.” Both Yeojin and Jiwoo sat down, sharing the couch. Jiwoo’s eyes were full of questions as she stares. Jungeun shrugged.

Yeojin shyly avoided Junguen’s gaze and focusing more on telling Jiwoo the story. “She scared me on my first day. Picture a coffeeholic, with no breakfast and barely gotten a needed sleep, demanding her coffee. Scary.”

“I’m none of those descriptions,” Jungeun said.

Yeojin finally managed to maintain eye-contact as she sputters an explanation. “That was only my first impression, unnie! And it was my first day, morning customers who hadn’t got their coffee are scary to me… I’m sorry.” She looked down, fidgeting with her hands on her lap. “Now that I’m not easily nervous, I actually enjoy serving you. You’re one of the few customers who actually say thank you and show gratitude towards us. Plus, you’re a friend of Vivi unnie who is nice and kind too. And now Jiwoo unnie!”

Jiwoo laughed, her head tilting back slightly. Yeojin giggled beside. It’s such a cute dynamic that Jungeun finds herself smiling.

“That’s right! Being friends with me basically mean you are a great person,” Jiwoo said then winked. God, this woman could wink after each sentence and it would be cute and natural every time, Jungeun thought as she looks away to maintain her known stoic self. Jiwoo could always bring out her giddy softy side as easy as it is for her to wink.

“Thanks, Yeojin-ah. I like you too, you always get my order perfectly.”

“Yeojin’s a fast learner,” Jiwoo said and patted the young woman’s head. “How’s school?”

“Great. You wouldn’t believe it, but I’m friends with the former delinquents who used to be famous for their rule-breaking shenanigans and bloody fistfights.”

“Make sure it’s truly former, Yeojin–ah. Or I won’t hesitate to challenge them for a fistfight.” Jiwoo pursed her lip in a way that made her looked like a cat.

Yeojin gave her a funny look. “I’m not sure you’ll be able to take them, unnie… Plus I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Don’t worry.” Jiwoo locked eyes with Jungeun. “Tell her, Jungeun.”

Jungeun rolled her eyes but her lips curled in a smile. Her eyes twinkled as she gets the opportunity to reveal something out of their experience as childhood friends. “Jiwoo used to have a blackbelt on taekwondo.”

They watched Yeojin’s eyes widen as she processes the information. “No way,” she gasped.

 

 

 

 

They conversed and ate Jiwoo’s cakes until Vivi came and personally yeeted Yeojin away from the duo who have great stories to tell like an elder married couple with Yeojin as their inquisitive, curious grandchild.

“Jungeun, you’re friends with Kim Jiwoo? I literally just watched her music video that appeared as an ad on YouTube,” Vivi said and took a seat beside Jungeun.

“Hi! You’re Vivi, right?” Jiwoo flashed a bright smile that Vivi returned.

“My real name is actually Wong Ka-Hei, but everybody calls me Vivi.”

“Why is that?”

“I used to work as a model in Hong Kong, Viian Wong. Don’t search that up, please.” Vivi giggled nervously. The woman has been trying to forget about her past and that means making others forget her past as well as don’t let others know about her past. She doesn’t have to worry, though. Jungeun knew Jiwoo to be very considerate even if there are times when her energy is on the ceiling, she would remember to be considerate.

Jiwoo smiled reassuringly. “I won’t. You’re very beautiful, I wonder why you stopped but it’s none of my business, really, don’t need to explain.”

Vivi passed Jungeun a look of amazement before turning back to Jiwoo, her smile widen in a way that Jungeun only sees whenever she’s with Haseul or Sooyoung had cracked the funniest joke—does not often happen—for Jiwoo to make her smile like that after having just met, Jungeun thinks it must be magic.

“Thank you, you’re very kind. I see why you’re friends with Jungeun. She has great friends. I actually met my girlfriend because of her,” Vivi said.

Jiwoo’s eyes locked with Jungeun in an instant. “Haseul. You’ll meet her this Wednesday.” Jungeun swallowed down the antsy feeling she felt rising. Though Jiwoo showed she had an open-mind towards things during their childhood throughout adolescence, they never actually had a topic about the LGBTQA+ community. They never had a reason to. While Jungeun was starting to question her uality, she was scared that piece of information until she was sure. But then, Jungeun was gone and away before she could accept herself.

Jiwoo’s smile never wavered as their eyes locked, it seemed to get wider even. But Jungeun believed it was just her homo-infused perception playing with her.

“That’s great! I’m excited to meet Jungie’s circle of friends.”

“How’d you two meet anyway?” Vivi asked.

Jungeun broke the eye-contact. “Childhood friends,” she said, facing Vivi.

“And you never mentioned her?”

“Uh…” Now Jungeun had a more valid reason to get antsy. She averted her eyes away and focused it on Yeojin working on the counter.

“We just reunited after two years we’ve lost contact, unfortunately,” Jiwoo spoke in a soft voice that Jungeun couldn’t distinguish the emotional undertone of it.

“Oh.” Vivi nodded. “I met Jungeun a year ago. I guess it would be weird to just talk about a friend who you haven’t talked to within two years. I do remember one thing though, one night of drinking.” Vivi turned towards Jungeun. “Can I continue?”

“A night of drinking, I don’t think it’s a good idea… But, go ahead.”

“This was about a month ago, Haseul and I accompanied you home ‘cause you were drunk and very sleepy. When we laid you down on your bed, you muttered Jiwooming, that was weirdly random yet specific…” Vivi now turned to Jiwoo. “I believe you might be Jiwooming, am I correct?”

Jiwoo opened but Jungeun spoke for her instead, “Yes. Jungie and Jiwooming. The dumb and dumber duo, Miss Grumpy and Miss Jolly… Soul—”

“—Soulmates,” Jiwoo said along with her.

Jungeun looked into Jiwoo’s eyes, reading the emotions over them. It was like watching a timelapse of all the memories they had, good and bad. Woe from Jungeun’s sudden departure, bliss from their reunion, confusion from lack of explanation, understanding then relief that everything could get back to what it was but more.

“Oookay… I have a cafe to attend to. Say goodbye when you leave.” Vivi stood up from the couch and the two broke off the eye contact. Jiwoo flashed Vivi a smile. Jungeun and her followed Vivi with their eyes until she disappeared through a doorway.

When they turned to face each other again, Jungeun felt a shiver run down her spine. The look on Jiwoo’s face meant business.

“Jiw—”

Jiwoo’s phone rang.

She sent Jungeun an apologetic smile before answering her phone. “Hello? What? Hm. Okay,” she sighed. “Okay, I’ll be there.”

“Work?”

Jiwoo nodded. “Apparently, they forgot to put this one show on YouTube into my schedule.” She stood and Jungeun mirrored her. “I’m sorry to cut our short time together.”

Jungeun closed her eyes and shook her head. She won’t admit it but the phone call actually saved her from saying something she wasn’t ready to express. “It’s okay.‌ We’ll see you on Wednesday, right?”

“Hopefully no more forgotten schedule.”

“Hopefully.”

Silence passed them, a look that simply tells they don’t know how to say goodbye because they don’t want to say goodbye. Jiwoo stepped forward then enveloped Jungeun in a hug. “Jungie.”

“What?”

“Nothing, I just want to say your name.”

Jungeun wrapped her arms around Jiwoo’s shoulder. “That’s… cute.”

Jiwoo giggled and Jungeun felt it in her body. The vibrations seemed to have physically made its way inside her body and filled her heart with warmth.

They pulled away but kept their arms in a hold of each other. “Bye-bye, Jungeun.” Then Jiwoo completely backed away and turned to wave at Yeojin who had been watching them. She wore her white mask and turned to Jungeun again. “See you.”

With one final turn, she walked out of the cafe. Her hair bounced in each gait, her perfume clinging on the air around Jungeun. I’m screwed, this crush. She plopped down the couch and told herself to stop noticing everything about Jiwoo. Her eyes fleeted to the remains of their order. Jiwoo’s cup wrapped with tissues. Jungeun’s mug empty with a brown circle on the bottom. Plates wiped clean, one fork facing up on the side of the plate, Jiwoo’s. The other fork facing down in the middle of the place, hers. They’re so different. Yet, they’re—

“You’re perfect for each other, unnie!” Yeojin appeared beside her and began cleaning up the table. “Jiwoo unnie brings you to fly high, providing energy and adventure, while you’re there so she wouldn’t fly too close to the sun, providing calmness and settlement, you balance each other.”

“Gee, where did that come from?”

“It was inspired by the two of you!”

“Is that what they teach you in school now?”

“Ooh, I walked right in time into mommy Jungeun,” Jinsoul said, having entered the cafe without being noticed. “You still have a job to do, woman.” She glanced at the tray Yeojin’s is carrying, a smirk forming on her face. “A date? I see… Vivi unnie!”

“Wait, no!”