Jinsoul's Birthday

Best Part

(A/N: Unedited/ No revision, expect few typos and grammatical errors.)

 

“They’re interested in me!” Jungeun shouted as she slammed the door open. The rest of her friends and even a few customers sent her a look mix between surprise and annoyance. Jungeun couldn’t care less. She strutted out of the backroom then proceeded to hug Jinsoul who looked at her as if she’d just grown another head.

“Did you hit your head or something?” Jinsoul asked.

“The agency. They called and said they liked my audition last week.”

Sooyoung rolled into the conversation, quite literally, seated on her gaming chair. “Which agency?”

“The one near the studio we had been practicing at.”

“Oh. That’s great. They have a good reputation.” Sooyoung smiled then rolled back into her desk.

Haseul walked up beside Jungeun, holding Jungeun’s favorite chip. Giving it to her as a little congratulatory gift. “So… you’re like an idol trainee now?”

Jungeun is closed to bouncing on her feet due to her excitement. “Yes, that’s right.”

“When will you start training?” Jinsoul asked as shove her hand inside Jungeun’s newly opened bag of chips. It got slapped away immediately.

“Tomorrow!”

Haseul patted her back. “You’ve been auditioning for six months it’s time for your talent to get noticed.” She glanced at the customer approaching the cafe. “I guess we’ll be celebrating two things today?”

“My birthday is still the main celebration!” Jinsoul said at the retreating Haseul. She then faced Jungeun with a serious look, “We need to discuss this in my office.”

Jungeun nodded and followed her friend inside her office, it is noticeable how much time Jinsoul spends her time in this room. Stacks of paper are spread on her dark wooden desk.

She smiled at the framed picture sitting beside Jinsoul’s computer. It was taken the first year they had a peak in their business. They’re glowing, happy being young and successful. Jungeun wished they would stay forever. Though a new chapter is about to unfold—no, not a chapter—a new book she would have to write: An agency took her and it might be her chance to become an artist. She would need to tell her mother, hopefully, this time she would support Jungeun.

Then there’s Jiwoo, who came back into her life, who had given her nothing but joy and hope. Good things had happened since she’d returned. Jungeun wondered if it’s the same for her friend. That even though Jiwoo had reached her dream without her, Jungeun still has something to give to her.

Jinsoul cleared . Jungeun just noticed she had been staring at the gray wall. Her eyes glanced through the contemporary paintings across the room to give herself time to prepare before settling her eyes on Jinsoul. She’s sitting now with a desk between them, which is not psychologically good if they’re going to have this conversation.

“So an idol trainee… it would require your undivided time. Which means you won’t able to wor—”

“I can manage—”

Jinsoul raised a hand. “Let me. You might think you can juggle it, but Jungeun, you get drowsy around 10 pm because we all know it’s your bedtime. Are you willing to ruin your perfect record?” Jinsoul smiled at the flustered yet determined look on Jungeun’s face.

“What perfect record? That’s nothing to me.”

Jinsoul gave her an amused look for a second then she sighed. “I’m going to be serious now. I don’t want you to do both jobs at the same time.”

Jungeun blinked. “Are you suggest—”

“I’m suggesting you focus on becoming an artist.”

“But—”

“Give me a minute, really, all I need is a minute.” Jinsoul reached for Jungeun’s hand that she placed down in protest. She mustered the most reassuring smile she could.

Jungeun sighed out, her tensed shoulders dropping. “Go ahead.”

Jinsoul squeezed her hand before leaning back on her chair. “Let’s just say, you’ll act as a backup. When one us can’t work you can fill in. As for your salary—”

“Don’t worry, I saved enough money to last me a few months.”

“Okay, as your best friend I don’t want you to starve yourself. So, here’s my idea. You can choose anytime in a week to work for 6 hours, it’s okay if you want to skip a week though you can just overtime in another week. The calculation is that you’re required 24 hours a month. I’ll also reduce your salary by 15% because I know certain someone will be muttering about favoritism again if I don’t.”

“Only 15%? Someone will definitely be muttering.”

“Well… you’re my favorite.” Jinsoul put a finger in front of her lips as a shushing gesture. “ Let Hye–” She coughed then cleared , “–them mutter away.”

Jungeun laughed at the slip but didn’t comment on it. Hyejoo receives the lowest number among them as the woman only works part-time. If Jungeun did her calculation right, she still receives a little more than what Hyejoo is earning. “Make it 25%. Make it fair for a certain someone.”

“All right, all right. Less 25% every month. Either 6 hours a week or 24 hours a month, fill in for a friend who can’t work for the day. All good?” Jinsoul stood up and raised her hand for a shake.

Jungeun shook her hand firmly. “Thank you a lot, Jinsoul. Happy birthday again.”

“I’m only helping a friend. Plus you hugged me, so you must be really happy about this.”

“Let’s forget about that.” Jungeun covered her face as Jinsoul laughed at her obvious flush.

“Oh, I’m sure no one will.”

 

 

 

OOO

 

“Are we ready to begin?” Vivi asked everyone after placing down a huge bowl of seaweed soup in the middle of the table beside the equally as huge caramel chiffon cake. They’re celebrating at the upper part of the cafe’s building where Vivi lived. They decided on a calmer birthday celebration for Jinsoul rather than the crazy party they held last year.

“Everyone’s here, right? Well except for the birthday girl, I’ll fetch her in a minute," said Sooyoung.

Jungeun checked her phone for a reply from Jiwoo. She texted her three times under ten minutes already, no response. Jungeun doesn’t know if she should tell her friends to wait or just accept that Jiwoo is busy and won’t be able to come. She excused herself from everyone to make a call.

“Okay, I’ll fetch Jinsoul then,” Sooyoung announced before leaving.

After the fourth unanswered call, Jungeun gave up and went downstairs to the cafe. She observed a few customers having a late-night coffee. Most of them with their laptops, typing rapidly. Other chatting with their accompany. She headed for the restroom but before she could, Jinsoul walked inside the cafe.

“Hey, birthday girl.” Jungeun hugged Jinsoul who returned it wholeheartedly. “Where’s Sooyoung? I thought she fetched you?”

Jinsoul pointed behind her with her thumb. “Chatting up some cutie outside. You should probably interrupt them before she forgot I have a birthday to celebrate.”

Jungeun clicked her tongue in annoyance. “Okay, okay. Wait here. Don’t go upstairs yet.”

“Why can’t I?” Jinsoul teased, facing her body towards the stairs. She laughed when Jungeun glared at her. “I’ll use the restroom here then.”

Satisfied that her friend was telling the truth she went outside the cafe and almost crashed into Sooyoung who wore a smile way too big for her usual one.

“Oh, Jungeun! Meet my friend, Kim Jiwoo. Can you recognize her? Number one on the music charts? She’s the reason I wasn’t on time coming to work these past few days, I choreographed a dance to her song.”

Jungeun, unable to speak from the information and seeing Jiwoo’s apologetic beautiful face, stared awkwardly at the two.

“I actually know Jungeun, Sooyoung unnie.” Jiwoo stepped closer to Jungeun and as if it was the most natural thing in the world, pulled Jungeun into a hug. “Sorry, I’m late. You’ve probably texted me, but I left my phone at my apartment in hurry again.”

Jungeun would have laughed at Sooyoung’s shocked face if she wasn’t distracted by the feeling of Jiwoo’s warm body against hers. Jiwoo pulled away before she could wrap her arms around her friend.

“It’s okay. Uh… so yeah. I know Jiwoo.”

“What?” Sooyoung looked at Jungeun with obvious bafflement then to Jiwoo before looking back to Jungeun for an explanation.

Jungeun opened to say something that’ll probably be a brain fart of an explanation when Jinsoul called out to them.

“What are you guys still doing here? Seriously, if I wasn’t so scared of Jungeun’s wrath I would have walked upstairs by no—” Her voice faded noticing Jiwoo standing close to Jungeun then she smirked. “Oh. Damn Jungeun.”

“What? Wait, what crossed your mind just now?”

“Looks like a plus-one is joining us. Come on let’s head upstairs. They’re all probably wondering where are asses at. Ooh, I can smell something delicious.”

“Me too!” Jiwoo ran to Jinsoul. “I’m Jiwoo. Happy birthday!”

“Thank you.” Jinsoul looked back to Jungeun and Sooyoung who are still standing outside the cafe. She winked then hooked her arm with Jiwoo’s as they walked upstairs.

Sooyoung walked past Jungeun as she says, “You have some explaining to do.”

“Well… then.”

 

OOO

 

“How did you manage to keep this from us? And you too, Vivi?” Haseul’s eyes were wide from the discovery. She pulled Vivi by her waist. “When did you know?”

Vivi smiled at her girlfriend’s cute expression. “Don’t worry, not too long ago.” She pecked Haseul’s cheek and she was forgiven.

“So this is the reason for making me work overtime, Ha Sooyoung?” Hyejoo asked Sooyoung who’s sitting beside her, which is probably not a good thing when it looks like Hyejoo is about to fight her with the way her chin is raised high in a challenge, sharp eyes focused on Sooyoung.

“I don’t see you complaining when you’re giggling as you play with that Pineapple Princess.”

“You should be thankful she keeps me on a good mood or—”

“Okay, let’s not fight during my birthday. Geez, one drink and you’re all acting like drunkards.” Jinsoul who sat at the center of the sofa handed Jiwoo a slice of cake. “Here Jiwoo-ssi, have some more.”

“I really shouldn’t, my company wouldn't be happy. One slice is enough. I haven’t sampled the other dishes too yet.” Jiwoo said but she looked at the cake that Hyejoo took away like a departing lover. “And Jiwoo is fine. No formalities needed.”

“How sweet. Did you know, Jungeun let me use formalities for a month before I accidentally called her without it. She gave me one bothered look and that was it, Jungeun it is.”

Jungeun rolled her eyes then a let a little smile form on her lips when Jiwoo laughed.

“Hmm,” Jiwoo hummed and leaned against Jungeun, her eyes twinkling at the story she’s about to share. She smiled at Jungeun before facing everyone who is listening by now. “When I first met Jungeun I was so scared of her I called her Kim-ssi-nim.” Jiwoo’s laughter overlapped everyone’s in the room but maybe it was just Jungeun’s ears.

“Then she gave a scary loo—”

“FYI, I was just confused as heck.”

“You can be scary when you’re confused, Jungeun. Especially for strangers. Poor First-day-Yeojin,” Vivi said.

Jiwoo took Jungeun’s hand for a reason that Jungeun cannot fathom. It immediately evaporated the bubbling frustration she was feeling. “The pinch between her eyebrows was one of the first things I noticed special about her. When she’s confused, it’s there, when she’s frustrated–” Jiwoo gave her a soft smile before winking, “–it’s there, when she’s angry, when she’s sad, and even when she’s happy and laughing.”

Jungeun feels bared because someone took notice of such a thing about. Such a mundane thing. It made her wonder what other things that Jiwoo or others have noticed. As she breaks eye-contact with Jiwoo, she noticed everyone is staring at them. Heat rises to her cheeks. She cleared , “Well, I thought Jiwoo was scary too.”

Jiwoo made a confused noise, a fusion between a whimper and a hum. “What do you mean?”

“Are you on drugs on your first meeting, unnie?” Hyejoo asked then laughed along with Sooyoung, stopping immediately when they remembered their quarrel a minute ago.

“Not scary-scary. What I mean is that I don’t know how to act with her, I’m scared of making a fool of myself.” Jungeun glared at Hyejoo when she noticed the woman about to hit another punch line. It was Sooyoung who made a comment.

“You sound like you have a crush on Jiwoo.”

Jungeun flinched, letting go of Jiwoo’s hand which only made her panic more because talk about being suspicious. “What?! No!” she said, almost following it with a curse when she realized how defensive it came out. She refused to make eye-contact with Jiwoo but at the corner of her eyes, it looks like she didn’t have to. Jiwoo was busy looking at the logo of the cafe on her paper cup. Why is Jiwoo acting like that? Jungeun could only wonder.

“Sooyoung was joking, Jungeun. Right, Sooyoung?” Jinsoul said. Sooyoung met her look, equally pointed. Those two have weird energy between them that Jungeun has been feeling recently. It lasted for a few seconds before Haseul interrupted it.

“Time to give Jinsoul her gifts!”

 

 

 

OOO

 

The cafe was closed and empty by the time they stumbled out of the building. Vivi and Haseul stayed at the entrance, they hugged Jinsoul and greeted her one last time.

“It’s past midnight, it’s not my birthday anymore,” Jinsoul said.

“You’re right. Hope you had fun.” Haseul said her words slurred a little. She wrapped an arm around Vivi to keep herself from swaying.

“And it seems you had too much fun.” Vivi patted Haseul’s cheeks to clear the drowsiness from them. “Come on, let’s say goodbye to others.”

Jungeun stepped up beside Jinsoul. “Damn, Haseul.”

“I was the designated driver. Last year. Remember? It was my turn. To get tipsy.” Haseul snuggled into Vivi’s shoulder and said something like. “Goodnight, everyone.”

Vivi sighed in an adoring way. “Guess she’s out.” She looked at the others. Smiling at Hyejoo and Sooyoung who both have an arm wrapped around each other. “Take care of yourselves. Bye, bye.” Vivi waved then closed and locked the cafe’s front door.

Jinsoul checked the time on her phone. “We really finished late.” She looked up the drunken duo. “Good thing Hyejoo doesn’t have a class tomorrow.”

“She’ll skip if she does anyway,” Jungeun said.

“They’ll be heading home with me. How about you two? Hey, Jiwoo. It was very nice to finally know you. I’m sorry it ended so late. I know you’re busy, hope you don’t have a heavy schedule tomorrow.”

Jiwoo’s smile was bright even though her eyes were halfway closed. “Don’t worry, my first schedule is a cross between lunch and an interview.” She yawned and back-hugged Jungeun. Most of her weight placed on Jungeun but she didn’t mind, loving the warmth coming from Jiwoo’s body in the cold night.

“That’s good. Off we go then.” Jinsoul waved then stepped between the two drunken women who said their slurred farewells. Taking a picture of it entered Jungeun’s mind to tease them but thought better against it. She knows how bad it could backfire with those two.

“Let’s get you home,” Jungeun said. Not moving an inch. Jiwoo only nuzzled the side of her neck. “Jiwooming.”

“A moment.”

They stood there for a few seconds until Jiwoo shivered. Jungeun turned in her arms. “We don’t want our new star to get sick, don’t we? Let’s go home.”

Jiwoo pulled away with a sad look that Jungeun had an urge to engulfed her in a hug again. “I want more time with you,” Jiwoo whispered.

“Okay… whose house is closer?”

Jiwoo tilted her head to the side, her tired and tipsy brain slowly processing the question. She smiled when it registered. “Mine,” she said then hooked her arm with Jungeun’s. “Let’s go home.”

 

 

 

OOO

 

“You can’t sleep on your clothes, Jiwoo.” Both of them just finished brushing their teeth and as soon as Jiwoo was near enough her bed to plopped down, she did without hesitation.

“So sleepy,” Jiwoo mumbled on a pillow.

“I am too.” Jungeun sat down on the bed, just beside Jiwoo’s legs. She didn’t know where Jiwoo pulled it from but her friend, with her newfound energy, stood up from the bed.

“Oh. You’re 10 pm bedtime. Right. Sorry, I wasn’t thinking. Of course, you’re very tired. Let me get you something to change too.” Jiwoo opened a drawer, rummaged through it then pulled a red pajama with a cartoonish owl repeatedly patterned.

“A pajama?”

“Is something wrong with it? It’s a gift from a friend, haven’t worn it yet.”

Jungeun shook her head and took the pajama. Staring at it long enough for her to acknowledge that the cartoonish owl was actually cute. “It’s been a long time since I’ve to wear one.”

“Don’t worry, I have my own… What? Where is it? Oh no, it’s on the laundry.” Jiwoo held her head as if not being able to wear a pajama is a crisis.

Jungeun extended the owl pajama back to Jiwoo. “Here, wear this.”

Jiwoo pushed it away. “No, you wear that. I’ll just wear another sleeping wear.”

“Okay… I’ll change then.” Jungeun went to the bathroom to change and when she came out Jiwoo was already tucked in the bed. The blanked up to her chin. Fighting hard to keep her eyes from closing. When she got a vision of Jungeun in pajamas, a drowsy smiled made its way on her face.

“You look adorable.”

“Thanks. You too.” Jungeun flinched at her response and blamed it on her sleep-deprived brain. As she stepped on the side of the bed, Jiwoo pulled up the covers and she stumbled getting in.

Jiwoo is wearing silk nightwear. The bare skin that is visible to Jungeun’s eyes was too much for her. She quickly turned off the lamp beside the bed.

“You okay? You didn’t hurt yourself?” Jiwoo asked softly in the darkness. Jungeun feels like every sound is amplified, the sheets rustling as she tries to settle in, her quick heartbeat.

“I’m oka—” Even through her pajamas, she was able to feel the smooth silk of Jiwoo’s nightwear and toned but soft thighs. Jungeun was feeling cold earlier now she’s way too heated to be comfortable under the blanket. Calm down, geez. Stop acting like a teenager, she scolded herself in hope of regaining control of her body.

“Jungie?”

“All good, Jiwoo. Warm–” Too warm. “—and comfortable.”

“…Can we cuddle?”

Jungeun was conflicted between a no and a yes. She wouldn’t want to hurt Jiwoo’s feelings by rejecting her though Jiwoo wouldn’t probably be hurt that much, would she? To hell with it. “Go ahead.”

“Big spoon or small spoon?”

Jungeun’s pretty sure she’ll lose her mind soon. She thought which position wouldn't make her heart beating like she was about to have a heart attack, less obvious. The small spoon would warm her more but at least her heart wouldn’t be beating against Jiwoo. “Sma–small spoon.” She her side, ordering her heart to calm down.

When Jiwoo’s front connected with back, surprisingly it wasn’t that hellishly warm as she had expected and her heart actually calmed down as she begins to succumb to sleep.

“Goodnight, Jungie.”

“Goodnight, Jiwooming.”