Longing and Yearning

Best Part

The sun had just risen when Jungeun stepped into her small kitchen, her hair still wrapped in a towel after taking a bath. She hummed a song that has been stuck on her head for past the past few days. She found that the way to stop the looping in her head is to make a cover of it with her guitar, but she couldn’t find the time to do so. Deciding maybe later after coming home from work, she would if that is she’s not tired or had been dragged by her best friend someplace to have fun. Jungeun is sure Jinsoul and her friends will. It’s like a routine every Friday, but she’ll try to make an excuse so she can have the me-time that she hasn’t got in so long. There’s a reason for that, of course. Being alone only reminds her of her childhood when she would always arrive in an empty house, her mother busy at work and her father had left before she was even born.

Her eyes scanned the silver fridge for something she could cook. “Hmm… I need to do grocery shopping later,” she mumbled to herself. Deciding to cook the last two remaining eggs and combine it with toast, she prepared one serving. That’s how it’s always been. It’s been a long time since she had someone stay overnight to eat breakfast with her. Friend or more than a friend, she couldn’t recall when was the last time she had slept with someone.

Her humming turned into singing as she cooks the eggs. The rays of the sun now washing her living room slash bedroom. The red sofa is bold among the neutral colors of the rest of her apartment. It was a gift from her mother and it’s where she spent most of the time playing her guitar and a night of movie marathon. She had been staying at this apartment for the last three years after moving out of her mother’s house down in Cheongju to a huge metropolis, Seoul.

Just as she had turned off the stove, her phone rang.

 

“I’ll be there in 20,” she answered.

JInsoul chuckled from the other line. “That’s not why I called. Besides, you have a clean track record. Always so punctual. Anyways, I won’t be seeing any of you today but tonight, well it’s Friday… You know what that means.”

Junguen placed her egg and toast in a plate before sitting down on the stool of the marble island surrounding one side of the kitchen.

“Can I take a raincheck? I have things I wanted to get done.” She shoved a forkful of scrambled egg into then took a bite from her toast. Dusting off the crumbs that fell on her black hoodie.

“Oh? But what if you meet Ms. Right tonight.”

“She should’ve shown herself for the last three years, I’m done looking.”

“Boo… well, okay then I’ll let you go this time. I gotta head out. You keep talking to me, we’ll end up destroying your record. Hyejoo was on duty last night, playing an online game with that Pineapple Princess again. You need to talk to that woman, I think she might be a little too much infatuated with her online friend.”

“Yeah, as if she’ll listen to anything I say.”

“You’re right. Don’t bother then,” Jinsoul laughed. “Gee-Tee-Gee. See you guys later tonight.”

 

Junguen had finished her breakfast by the time the call ended. She checked a few notifications on her social media accounts. One was a picture tagged to her. It’s a candid shot of her intensely focused on her work. Jinsoul had posted it with a caption, “Maybe work is your Ms. Right.”

Jungeun shook her head in amusement then cursed when a low battery warning popped up.

 

She met Jinsoul after getting her diploma in IT. She was rich but humble and Jungeun didn’t mind a face that is easy on the eyes. A few coffee meetups, favor here and favor there, hang out in cool places, before Jungeun knew she’s part of Jinsoul’s circle of friends. Their relationship never went past the line of friendship even though many had pointed out they’d make a great pair. She loves Jinsoul, yes, but in a more of a sisterly way. And then one day during a coffee induced conversation, the blonde was telling her about her plan of opening a PC Bang. It wasn’t where she hoped to see herself in the future but it’s a good standing to be in for what she really wants to do. A stable job with a stable above average income. Jungeun had always wanted to be an artist but her mom never shared her enthusiasm and that’s how she found herself taking a course she has little interest in. Nevertheless, if things went differently she wouldn’t have met Jinsoul and their friends. So, maybe, just maybe, she doesn’t regret anything.

 

It was quiet as she glanced outside the window, the bright sun engulfing the houses and buildings in plain view, warming the people who wake up in the cold weather of Korea’s autumn. Warmth… only one person can make her feel warm inside-out. She wondered about her childhood friend, Jiwoo, and how she’s currently doing in life. Having lost touch with her was probably one thing she regretted.

 

 

“Ahh, you’re here. Finally. I wanted to go home,” Hyejoo glanced at her before returning her eyes to the monitor. She clicked a few times then removed her headphones.

“You? I’m sure you would spend 24 hours of your time here if you could.”

Hyejoo stood up with a chuckle. “If I could.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll try to be late next time.” Jungeun shoved her backpack and coat to Hyejoo. “Take this with you to the backroom.”

“Say please,” Hyejoo flashed a -eating grin.

Jungeun sat down on the comfortable expensive gaming chair. Sighing as she laid her head on the headrest. In a monotonous voice, she said, “Please… go home.”

“With your bag and coat?”

“No, take my bag and coat to the backroom then go home with your own bag and coat… and your smart .”

Hyejoo laughed then proceeded to the backroom.

Jungeun eyed the room noting some familiar customers. She opened the cash register and started counting bills, the usual routine upon checking in. Haseul arrived later with a hot coffee which made Jungeun blessed her entire existence.

 

After doing all of the important work and logging out one customer. Jungeun decided to explore the web. One article caught her eye.

Luna Entertainment finally revealed the long-awaited solo artist from Cheongju, bright and cute with a strong voice, Kim Jiwoo!

She choked on her coffee and cough it all out before skimming her eyes again on the title. “Jiwooming?!”

As she read further, the more awe she gets.

A month earlier one of the most successful entertainment companies of Korea, Luna Entertainment, released a blurred picture of a solo idol. CEO of Luna Entertainment made a statement saying, “She’s the best catch we had in decades, we’re lucky to have found her talent. I’m hoping she’ll be successful as we hope, and I have confidence that the most loyal fans of our idol groups will like her as well as support her. Look forward to it.”

Today as of 6 pm KST, Kim Jiwoo’s song “The Light” can now be streamed on YouTube.

The rest are photos of her childhood friend, sparkling with beauty and so full of life. Jungeun gasped as she scrolls down to find Jiwoo wearing the friendship bracelet Jungeun had given her as a parting gift.

“Hey, are you okay? You look like you were about to cry?” Haseul laid a hand on her shoulder. Jungeun blinked twice before looking up to her.

“What? No, I was… Was I?”

“Uh-huh.”

Jungeun remained silent for a few seconds. Then she immediately went to YouTube. “I need you to watch this with me.” She typed Jiwoo’s name and her song title on the search bar.

“Oh, I heard about her. Many people are excited for her you know, it’s kind of contagious now that I find myself and you curious too.”

“We used to be friends,” said Jungeun before clicking the music video.

The next minutes were spent in silence aside from Jungeun’s intake of breath. She couldn’t believe it was her childhood friend she’s watching. She’d always known Jiwoo would strive in life. The woman made her promise that she would be there throughout the whole process, on Jiwoo’s ups and downs, giving her love and support. But it seems like she wasn’t needed at all. Her friend seems to be striving without her. And she’s truly happy for her, but there’s a small lingering disappointment that won’t go away realizing Jiwoo had probably forgotten about her now.

“That was amazingly heartfelt and beautiful. She’s good. And she’s from Cheongju, you grew up with her?” Haseul asked when the video ended.

Jungeun could only nod.

“Well, say I’m now a fan when you congratulate her.” Haseul squeezed her shoulder before attending to the small cafe area.

She tried not to think about her friend but continued listening to her song as she does her job which was minimal so she had trouble stopping her mind from straying to her friend. “Congratulations, huh…”

She and Jiwoo hadn’t made contact in two years. Jungeun was certain her friend had changed her number by now. But that didn’t stop her from sending a text message.

 

I’m so out of the loop these days that I didn’t even know you were about to reach your dream of becoming a singer. Couldn’t be prouder. This is Kim Jungeun by the way, from Cheongju, the one with an eyebrow wrinkle you love to pinch and smooth away, just reminding you in case you don’t remember me or you’re receiving hundreds of text per minute. I’m sure you’re not using this number anymore… but I don’t know another way to reach you. Anyways, just wanna say congratulations!

Jungeun hesitated before pressing send. And then she typed another message.

I miss you, Jiwooming. I’m sorry I haven’t reached you in a while, a very long while… well, two years to be specific. But I still do think about you from time to time, more often than I should probably think about a childhood friend that I have not seen in three years. Again… I miss you.

Jungeun put her phone away, not expecting to receive a text from her friend or anyone. When she faced the monitor in front of her, she couldn’t help but watch her friend’s music video again. “I should probably buy her album.”

 

 

 

 

The cork popped out of the champagne followed by cheers and best wishes from her friends. “Congratulations,‌ Jiwoo-unnie!” Yeojin hugged her, nuzzling her face on Jiwoo’s s. They're currently celebrating at the shared condominium of Heejin and Hyunjin. Both hugging Jiwoo when Yeojin stepped away.

Yerim shoved a slice of pizza in front of her which made her squeal in delight. “Pizza! You know the way to my heart.”

“And there’s more!” Yeojin ran to the fridge. She turned holding a box of chocolate dream cake with its lid open.

“For achieving the first step of your dream,” Heejin commented before giving out plates and utensils.

“It’s only the beginning. Harder things are about to come,” Hyunjin widened her eyes to emphasize but instantly closed it after shoving a cake in .

Yerim waved her fork in front of Jiwoo. “That only means there are more celebrations like this in the future!”

“Thank you guys, I wouldn’t be here without you.”

“That’s right, unnie. Always remember that when you get too rich and too famous to talk to us,” Yeojin pouted.

Jiwoo wrapped her arms around the little woman. “How could I abandon your cute little face?”

“So the rest of us will be abandoned then?” Heejin said with a cheeky smile.

Jiwoo released Yeojin and gave Heejin a long look before letting her eyes fleet to the corner of the huge living room. “Hmm. I think you’ll be the one abandoning us with that pile of contract from advertising companies stacked up on your desk.”

“I think that’s starting to get real, Jiwoo.” Hyunjin shook her head with a faux sad face.

“Hey! What about your pile from modeling agencies?!” Heejin turned to Hyunjin, brows almost meeting together. Hyunjin merely smirked.

A heavy sigh came from the other side of the teal-colored couch. “At least you guys won’t have to worry about me abandoning you, choreographers rarely get too rich and too famous.” Yerim made a fake sobbing sound.

Yeojin jumped on the space beside Yerim. “Don’t worry, Unnie. A day will come where you’ll abandon us from getting too rich and famous.”

Yerim gave the little woman a confused glare. “That’s not my point, Yeojin-ah.”

“You don’t want to get rich and famous?”

“What? No! I mean yes! I want to get rich and famous but I won’t and don’t want to abandon you guys.”

“Here’s to getting too rich and too famous without abandoning our friends!” Jiwoo raised her champagne, all followed and cheered. “Wait?! Is that champagne you’re holding Yeojin-ah?”

“Of course not, it’s apple juice. Fooled ya!” Yeojin laughed and shoved a fork into .

 

 

A few hours passed without them noticing. One slice of cake remaining, too shy and modest to take it for themselves. Three empty boxes of pizza stacked up on top of the coffee table. Jiwoo is on her fourth glass of champagne when she noticed the time.


"Damn, guys it's passed midnight we should be going," she said looking up from her silver wristwatch.


"You could stay here you know?" Heejin mumbled with her eyes closed, sprawled on the sofa, one hand rubbing her stomach contently.


Hyunjin snickered beside her. "Yeah? And sleep where? This sofa really ain't the best for sleeping."


"We have beds, Hyunjin-ah. We could share ours with them."


"I'd like that," said Choerry then nodded with a hum. "I'd like that a lot. I don't think I even have the energy to ride down the elevator and I would just be standing, imagine that."


Hyunjin had a mild displeased look on her face for a second before she sighed and accepted.


Jiwoo stood up. "As much as I would like to stay here for the night, I'm needed tomorrow early morning. I have to be in my apartment, someone would be there to pick me up."


Yeojin who they thought had fallen asleep hugged Jiwoo's leg, preventing her from taking another step. "You could tell them to pick you here instead, unnie."


Jiwoo smiled at the drowsy woman before patting her head. "I don't think I can do that, Yeojin-ah. They want me there early and my apartment is only about ten minutes away from the company in comparison here that's about thirty minutes."


"I'll go home with you, then."


"No, you stay here and sleep. I'll see you all soon. Thank you a lot for tonight guys, it was very nice of you and very fun." She kissed their forehead one at a time, chasing Hyunjin who pulled away from her. She walked to the door and with one look back she said, "Love ya! Take care."

 


Down at the lobby, the guard helped her call for a cab. She wrote down the driver's license and name and Jiwoo thanked her with a wave goodbye.


"Take care, Ms. Kim." the guard tipped her cap.


Jiwoo greeted the driver and was glad he didn’t try to make any conversion. She checked her phone and was not surprised at countless notifications she has. She opened her mother's message, having it set as a priority contact. It was what she expected, wishes and questions about when she would visit home. She shook her head with adoring amusement at her mother's text. She'd only been gone for a month. Too tired to sort throughout the other messages but is able to notice some names she hadn't made contact with for a long time, she remembered that the agency has advised her to change her number. She locked her phone and closed her eyes. Tomorrow night she would, just a little more time... Just a little more time for Jungeun to contact her.

 

“Here’s your schedule for the week.”

Jiwoo had just sat down on one of the chairs in the conference room when her manager handed her a sheet of paper. She greeted her manager and two other staff in the room before glancing on the paper.

“It’s loaded, I know. We’ll need to do promotions as much as we could do. It’ll be tiring and you’ll barely have time to rest but I assure you after this week it’ll loosen up,” said the manager with a supportive smile on her face.

Jiwoo returned it sweetly. Appreciating how they treat her with such kindness and trust. It pushed her to do her best.

She slid the schedule back to the manager and placed her palms down the mahogany table. “Okay. I’m ready, whatever we got.”

As soon as she said that, someone opened the door and a familiar face peeked in. The woman walked over to them with a small smile on her face.

“Sooyoung unnie! Good morning,” Jiwoo flashed a grin and stood up to hug the woman.

Sooyoung was her choreographer, having met only two weeks ago. It was only a part-time job for the woman even though with her talent she could go full time, Jiwoo never wasted the opportunity to point it out. In that way, she learned Sooyoung already had another job.

“Yoojin unnie is looking for you, another outfit done hand made for you. Saw it, looks great.”

Jiwoo asked her manager with her eyes.

“I’ll find you later,” she dismissed them with a wave of her hand.

Outside the room, Sooyoung turned to Jiwoo. “You ready for your debut stage?”

Jiwoo started walking down the hallway. Smiling at everyone she passed with. “What do you think?” Jiwoo asked softly with a glance at Sooyoung.

They passed a girl idol group named Moonlight and then Jiwoo was showered with good wishes. “Hmm. Yeah, I believe you are. Your choreographer was amazing after all.”

Jiwoo scrunched her face playfully. “Nah, I think my voice teacher was much better.” She laughed when she heard Sooyoung scoff.

“Good thing, she’s only your one-time choreographer then.” They stopped in front of the door of the dressing room. Jiwoo opened the door but before she could enter, Sooyoung held her by the wrist. “You know I’ve got no reason to be here at all right? I’ve taught you the choreography, I’ve helped you practice, trained with you, my job is practically done. But I’m here today as a friend, I’ll watch you slay on stage so you better do your best.”

Jiwoo felt her eyes sting, beginning to water. She blinked her eyes and smiled softly but with pure happiness. “Thank you, Sooyoung unnie. I needed that.”

 

She did more than slay on stage. She was on fire all day. Even the staff were energized by her. It was after her last schedule for the day that extraneous shows and photoshoots had finally caught up with her body. She plopped down on the sofa in her designated room. Wishing she had moved her stuff from her apartment to the company’s dormitory much earlier so she wouldn’t have to get up and go home.

Her manager went inside the room holding a take out that immediately invaded her sense. Jiwoo almost stood up to flood her with kisses. Almost.

“Finally finished for today? You were amazing there, kid.” Her manager gave her the take out then patted her head.

“I can go home after eating this right?”

“You know, you can access your dorm and sleep there right?”

Jiwoo pouted. “I need to go home. I left my phone this morning as I was rushing.”

“Well, finished that so we can accompany you home.”

“Thank you, unnie.” Jiwoo grinned before extending the take out box to her manager, “want some?”

“No, I believe that’s not even enough for you.”

 

 

Jiwoo went straight to bed after she got home but stood up after a few minutes to freshen up in the bathroom. In her penguin pajamas, face clean and make-up free, she climbed the bed and grabbed her phone on the nightstand.

Her debut stage was up on YouTube and she watched it, shying a little for seeing herself on the big bright stage. “That was me?“ she giggled. ”Who else would that be?“

Her phone rang in her hand, her mom’s name flashing on the screen.

“Hey, mom!”

“You still got the energy I see.”

“No, I’m all up but hearing your voice energized me.”

“Arasso, arasso. I know you want to rest right now, but it’s good to hear your voice too. Call me tomorrow when you’re able. I’ve repeatedly watched your music videos and debut stage video, what you call it steaming?”

Jiwoo chuckled. “Streaming, mom. Hehe, thank you for that. Where’s dad, by the way?” As soon as she asked that she heard her father’s voice.

“How’s my little girl?”

“Dad! I’m not little anymore. And I’m a woman, have you watched my debut stage?”

“Of course, I have. So proud of you, Jiwoo. Very proud.”

Jiwoo swallowed the lump on . “Thanks, dad. You should visit here sometime.”

“We’ll see. I’ll try my best to get away from work. Love you.” She heard the phone being passed then her mom’s voice called out her name.

“I’m still here.”

“And you need to rest. Remember to call us, okay? I love you.”

“Love you too. Bye–eee!”

Jiwoo hanged up the phone with a sigh. Her eyes felt droopy but she forced herself to check her messages. “Please,” she whispered without meaning to. Speed scrolling through countless messages. “J, J, another J, not that, Jeong, Jung Pyo what the heck? Jung…” Her thumb paused. Staring at the name, not believing her eyes. Jungeunie with a heart. The preview of the first phrase made her heart drum fast inside her chest.

“I missed you too, pabo.”