Wheein vs The Date

The Intersect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Agent Yongsun is the agent assigned to the highly confidential case: Retrieve X. She knew she was given this responsibility because her records proved her ability to finish missions quickly and discretely; She was only given 48 hours to finish this mission since The Intersect contains highest level secrets of the government - if touched by the wrong hands, South Korea will crumble. Her main mission, as the name suggets, is to retrieve The Intersect. Her initial plan was to get the specific computer The Intersect was sent to. She snuck in her target's house while the target was at work in the morning. To her dismay, all she found in the computer were a bunch of pictures only dating before 2015, hundreds of ebooks, some computer progamming softwares, and nothing else. She checked the target's social media sites and nothing seemed supicious either. This Jung Wheein seems extra private and definitely introverted. Since she got nothing from her inspection, her next step was to see this person ASAP. She needed to verify if this person is indeed a highly dangerous individual.

 

She checked her target's profile in the case folder to check where she can locate the target.

 

Name: Jung Wheein

Age: 25 years old

Height: 1.59 m

Highest Educational Attainment: Highschool graduate

Current Job: IT supervisor; COEX Department Store

 

'Even her profile screams normal white-collared citizen'  Agent Yongsun thought. As she browsed through more pages of the target's profile, one particular information caught her attention. Jung Wheein was one of the top students in Seoul National University but was expelled out due to [redacted]. 

 

'Seoul National University....'  The name of that university reminded her of someone. Maybe they knew each other. Maybe not. She quickly dismissed the thought as she realized that Jung Wheein is a genius. A genius who is now working at a department store. 'How come a genius like her is working at a department store? Shouldn't she be out there creating programs or invent machines?'  Yongsun knew there is something interesting in her target. Something beyond the facade of a common employee.

 

'Time to meet the target' 

 

The agent soon left her target's house leaving without any trace. 

 

After a 15-minute drive, Agent Yongsun arrived at COEX. It is a big mall with thousands of visitors both locals and foreigners each day; with that amount of people, she can easily blend in with the crowd. She quickly put her disguise - a flowery knee-length dress matched with a straw-beach hat - perfect for her just-returned-to-the-country look. After finishing up her look, she then grabbed her dummy phone she will be using to get her target's attention.

 

It was easy to locate her target. The big 'Nerd Herd' sign is hard to miss. As she approached the counter, everyone in it seemed to be in their own world. The three unidentified people were playing some computer games. 'How come they play when they are still at work?'  The agent thought that if she do that at work she will be terminated right away. Disposed even. 

 

She then ignored the other three people and focused on her target. She was trying to get her attention but her target seemed busy singing some song. She did not know the title because she knew nothing about music. She wanted to tap her shoulders to turn to her direction but she just stood there watching her target having fun. If that is what 'fun' means. 

 

'She looks free'  She pondered. 

 

'She looks like a completely harmless person'

 

'She looks.... She is looking at me' . Thanks to her fast reflexes she was able to focus on her target who is now looking at her. It was time to switch to her disguise's personality.

 

After a series of (flirty) exchanges between her and her target, she finally secured that date with her. She needed that alone time with her target for her to investigate further on the whereabouts of The Intersect. 

 

 

It took Wheein 10 minutes before she was able to go out of their garage and drive towards her date. THE DATE. Never did she imagine she will be put again in such a situation where in she will be out here dating people - she thought the only interactions she need are those from her family, colleagues, and friends. Her customers dropping by Nerd Herd is no big deal for her because those peple just come and go. But tonight, she will be with a person she barely knew.

 

'Am I ready for this?'

'What if I blurt out my past again?'

'What if she finds me boring?'

 

But the more pressing question to Wheein was...

 

'What if she will just betray me like everyone did?'

 

'Could I trust her?'

 

But despite those negative thoughts and hesitations, Wheein was reminded of that beautiful smile Kim Yongsun gave her earlier this morning. A smile that captivated her in an instant.

 

With that, she easily concluded that maybe, she can trust her. maybe.

 

As she continued to drive, Wheein keep telling herself, Do not mention your past. Do not mention your traumatizing past, in repeat. If I manage to do that then maybe this date could be a success. By saying these words, she was able to calm herself. Repeat. Drive. Repeat. Dri----

 

She suddenly stopped her car when she saw a small accident in front of the road. Gangnam is notorious for such accidents, she was glad she was able to dodge such despite living in the city for years already. And most of the accidents she saw, she will stop her car to help the people involved. She unbuckled her seatbelt and went to the person who fell from a food delivery motorcycle.

 

"Are you okay?" Wheein did the initial step of first aid, assess the victim. The victim was able to respond that he was okay. Upon checking, wheein just noted the minor bruises on the victim's knees and elbows, nothing major. She called the ambulance eventually so that they can still tend to the victim's wounds. She left the motorcycle driver on the sidewalk and went to the other victim in this accident.

 

She approached a black, heavy-tinted, range rover SUV. From the initial assessment, the car only have a few scratches.

 

"Hi sir, I'm a trained first-aider. I would like to know your situation inside." Wheein shouted over the window. Seconds passed and the person did not respond; she had to knock by the window to alert the person behind it.

 

"Sir please respond or else I need to forcefully open your door" Wheein demanded. She wanted to finish this fast because her date is waiting.

 

The window eventually rolled down and when Wheein was able to get a clear view of the person in the black SUV, a series of images flashed again on her head

 

Person's passport, A series of CCTV footages showing the person purchasing bombs, A mugshot.

 

When the images stopped showing, Wheein just stood there in complete shock. How did she know that this person is a 35-year old male from North Korea who was previously convicted of murder. How did she know that this person recently purchased bombs from the black market. 'Is this person a highly wanted criminal?'  Wheein was debating in her head on what she should do this in this situation. She wanted to run and hide and pretend nothing was wrong. Who was gonna believe what she saw in her head anyway? She don't have any valid prood of her claims. Maybe she is just hallucinating. Maybe....

 

"Hey miss, if you will not move or do anything, do not bother me." The man shouted angrily.

 

"O-okay, Sir. I will just leave" And with that, Wheein just let that person be. She is still a weak person afterall. What can she do in such a situation? She went back to her car to collect her thoughts. As she rested her head on her steering wheel, the headache she was feeling throughout the sudden rush of images was slowly disappearing. She checked her time in the car's clock, 6.55 pm.

 

'Oh , I am running late'  Wheein panicked. She brushed off her thoughts and just continued to drive away.

 

 

Agent Yongsun left the hotel she is staying at earlier than scheduled since she had to survey the scene to check for traces of the NPK. The national police might be on their trail now. She has 30 hours to finish this case. 

 

She arrived at the pinned location Wheein sent earlier. Le Chamber.

 

At first she thought, why did Wheein brought her to a library? Are they gonna read books all night long? Well it seemed possible for Yongsun since her target's laptop was filled with ebooks. Maybe this is her kind of a date night. Interesting. Since it was still early, she just sat by the sofa while waiting for Wheein.

 

 

She surveyed the scene. No NPK men on sight. She then pulled out some gadgets from her satchel to be used to deactivate the CCTV cameras in the area. 

 

Completely clearing the scene, she checked the clock. 7:05 pm. Wheein is running a little bit late. She was worried what if the NPK caught up her tracks and somehow grabbed Wheein while she was on her way here. She was about to send a message when a sweaty Jung Wheein was in front of her. 

 

"Sorry for being late. Witnessed some accident earlier. No need to worry I am ok." Wheein said so fast she was like rapping. "Oh and thank you for waiting. You look dashing" Wheein blushed as she gave those compliments to Yongsun.

 

"Enough flirting Wheein, you're embarrasing me" Yongsun said as a way to keep up her disguise.

 

"Anyway, why are we in a library? Are we here to read books. I feel like I am way overdressed for a libray" Yongsun asked.

 

"Oh Miss Yongsun, this is not just a library, this is THE library. This is Le Chamber. Wheein pushed a button and the bookshelf suddenly moved exposing the vast space behind it.  A cozy bar was behind the library. 

 

 

"You looked surprised over there Yongsun!" Wheein chuckled a bit after saying.

 

Indeed, Yongsun was surprised. During her previous missions, her dates (aka Targets) usually bring her to fancy restaurants, VIP-only clubs, and high-end casinos --all expensive places because money is not their problem. But today, her new target brought her to a library-turned-pub. 'A perfect metaphor to Jung Wheein', she thought.

 

"This place is so beautiful Wheein, thank you for bringing me here" Yongsun replied. 

 

"My pleasure"

 

Wheein just gave her biggest smile ever and Yongsun noticed that deep dimple on her face. 'Wheein gives a warm energy.' Yongsun felt at peace.

 

The waiter ushered them to their couch by the bar. When Yongsun was already comfortable on her seat, she again surveyed the place. There were only a handful number of people

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter