Wheein vs The Intersect

The Intersect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the other side of Seoul, far from Gangnam, a woman in her best suit was running fast – being chased by bullets is no stranger for her. But this time she seems to fear for her life as her colleagues are the people tracking her down.

 

‘No one will save me now’

 

After she transferred all data of the much coveted ‘Intersect’ to her phone, she blew up the room that contained it, leaving no trace.

 

From the top of the 50-floor glass building, she rappelled down with finesse. Completely escaping the other suited men following her. When she touched the ground, she thought she already escaped but more suited men welcomed her below. She ran. Dodging every bullet until she reached an abandoned warehouse perfect for a hideout.

She got 15 minutes before NIS (A/N: NIS = National Intelligence Service) tracks her down.

 

As she settled down on a blind spot, she immediately took her phone underneath her bulletproof vest. She needed a backup for this file, she thought. Scrolling through her contacts, all she can see are her colleagues from NIS. No one can be trusted until she saw ‘Jung Wheein’. She hesitated for a while. Jung Wheein probably hates her guts after all she did to her. But who can she trust at this moment? Probably just her. After laying out all the pros and cons and with such limited time. She sent an email to Jung Wheein.

 

5 minutes left and she sensed that NIS is so close to tracking her.

 

‘Wheein reply please!’ She shouted at the back of her mind.

 

2 minutes left and she can already hear the sirens from afar and helicopters hovering over the warehouse. Still appearing calm even if deep inside she wants to run and find better cover.

 

And with 30 seconds left she sent this last message to Wheein: ‘This is not a prank’.

 

She ran towards the back exit of the warehouse still dodging dozens of lazer targets from NIS snipers across the building. But as soon as she stepped on the door, she heard a gun shot.

 

 

"Wheein! Wheein, wake up!"

 

The voice of a familiar person keeps on calling Wheein. But to that person’s dismay, Wheein is not waking up.

 

“Yah Jung Wheein, we need to go to work in 30 minutes or else Big Boss Do Hoon will make us do extra shifts at work. You know how we hate EXTRA work hours right?” The familiar voice is shrugging the sleeping lady in front of her in panic.

 

The moment Wheein heard the word extra hours, she opened her eyes in a snap and lifted her self up in her bed.

 

“Hyejin, my dear friend. What day is it? I think today is my day off, I remember checking my schedule before I dozed off.” Wheein replied sluggishly. She was confused why is Hyejin waking her up for work when it’s her day off.

 

“What day off? It’s already the 29th! Time to move your . NOW!” Hyejin exclaimed while pushing Wheein out of her bed.

 

“29th? It was just Feb 28 ---”

 

Wheein stopped and checked her phone. Indeed it’s the 29th of February. Did she sleep the whole day? Or …

 

“Hyejin, did we drink last night? I can’t remember anything that happened yesterday”

 

“No, I was home watching Netflix all day. There’s this new series that was uploaded and binged it all day. Want to know the show, you might like it?”

 

“Okay, tell me all about it on the ride to work.”

 

Wheein showered quickly and changed to her work uniform – high-waisted knee-length grey skirt, all buttoned-up white blouse with a pocket on the left side where she always place her pens, grey neck tie and her favorite mustard chucks.

 

‘The only good thing about this work is I get to wear sneakers’ She thought.

 

“Hyejin I’m ready!”

 

Wheein and Hyejin hopped on the company car. Wheein was happy they gave her this company car when she became the Nerd Herd’s head. It’s not a managerial job per se, because she cannot be a manager with her credentials. But the company know she is smart enough, maybe smarter than them if only she was not kicked out of university, to handle the IT stuff in the department store at COEX.  But for all she know, that’s the highest she can achieve in her career. She does not care. As long as she can eat, sleep and read all the books she can, then she’s already satisfied in her life.

 

The ride to work was smooth sailing. Hyejin discussing the Netflix series she binged all day. Wheein listening to her friend talk. It’s always like this between them -- Hyejin going to her house, waking her up and tagging along with her to work. Wheein was glad she found a good friend at work who shares the same interests and have the same humor as her. At least she thought, Hyejin will not betray her like Byul did in university.

 

“Byul!” Wheein suddenly stepped on her breaks when the thought of Byul came up.

 

“What? Who’s Byul?” Hyejin replied while holding onto her seat belt after Wheein suddenly stopped the car.

 

“An old friend. Sorry if I had startled you. Don’t worry, now buckle your seatbelt because I forgot we need to rush to work” Wheein revved up the engine and dashed through the traffic.

 

‘Why did I remember her all of sudden’  Wheein, still oblivious to what had happened the day before.

 

-----

 

[8:59] Jung Wheein: Time in

[8:59] Ahn Hyejin: Time in

 

“We beat the clock again Wheeinie, that was close. See you lunch break! Have fun fixing computers!” Hyejin waved and walked towards her station. She works as a customer service personnel in the department store. It probably suits her cheerful, carefree personality that’s why she loves that job.

 

Wheein headed to her section in the department store. It’s a tiny booth in the center of the department store with a big banner with the words ‘Nerd Herd’ in front.

 

‘Hope today is not a busy day’ Wheein thought as she touched her temples. The headache she had when she woke up this morning still lingers.

 

Few minutes later, her Nerd Herd Crew showed up – late as always.

Wendy: assigned in helping customers with their newly bought gadgets like setting up phones and downloading apps.

Joy: assigned in hardwares – replacing broken components and upgrading outdated ones.

Seulgi: jack of all trades, basically she can do anything.

 

“Just because it’s my day off yesterday, you three can slack off today” Wheein jokingly said to her 3 colleagues.

 

“Yes boss” The three replied in unison.

 

“So what happened yesterday? Anything interesting?”

 

“Well, there is this new virus that keeps on frying the laptops” Joy replied.

 

“Even Seulgi could not do anything to stop the laptop from overheating” Wendy continued.

 

“I searched up this new virus and people dubbed is the ‘Loki’, because it appears in different forms and it’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter