The Past

Pax et Amor

 

 

I knew my ex-boyfriend through the same University dance club that me and Seungyoun were in. We were sophomores (Seungyoun had completed his military service before he was admitted to our school) while he was a senior in his fourth year.

 

Being the club president, he was of course, the cream of the crop. He had learnt ballet since young and decided to take a different path of venturing out into modern dance in university. Having built his foundation in ballet also meant that every dance move would be executed gracefully as if water was coursing through his veins.

 

During dance practice, my eyes would inadvertently turn to look at him, unable to move away. The way his eyes follow his fingertips with a feeling of longing, it was almost as if this guy was full of sorrow within him. Was it all an act to inject an element of emotions into the performance? Or was there something about him that none of us knew?

 

I was curious.

 

I wanted to know more about him, who he was and how he was as a person, not simply as a dance club president.

 

That very day, I mustered up my courage and requested for him to 'help me perfect my dance moves after practice', to which he agreed in a split second.

 

"Your feet has to do a pointe here," He calls out my lack of detail as I extend my right leg to the side, right hand following its direction and my left hand pointing towards the ceiling. My left palm was curved as if it was cupping a glass of water and I tried to relax my fingers as I tilted my head to look at my palm. This movement was supposed to be a representation of longing, right when Bradley Simpson sings "I keep on missing you" in The Vamps' song titled .

 

While I tried to execute the pointe, a sharp pain tore through my calf muscle and I fell to the ground, yelping in agony.

 

"Hey Yoo Jin, you alright?" He knelt down on one knee and began examining my leg. Did a few twists and turns to my ankle, attempting to relax the cramped muscles.

 

"Yea, it's much better now. Let's continue," I said, pushing myself back up from the polished oak flooring.

 

"Come on, it's already 10pm. We can always do this again on another day."

 

I must have subconsciously let out a dejected look, for he continued to persuade me, "There's still time till the concert. If you don't mind, I can offer you my time on the weekends too."

 

I was the kind of person who couldn't fall sleep unless my to-do list for the day was completely checked, but his offer was simply too irresistible to deny.

 

"Okay, then. Are you free this Saturday?"

 

"Are you asking me out?"

 

"Wha-What?? No, didn't you say that you could teach me over the weekend?" I could feel my cheeks heating up.

 

"Oh. Yea, sure. I was going to say yes to your question either way."

 

What did he mean by that?....

 

"Let's go, I'll give you a ride home."

 

The ride home was pretty silent, except for the radio playing softly in the background. I watched as the trees whizzed by, occasionally spotting couples who were out for a walk. Most shops were already closed apart from the convenience stores that offered hot piping food to the night owls who were yet to be asleep.

 

Then, I turned to look at him.

 

A pair of furrowed brows coupled with solemn, wistful eyes that had a never-ending depth to them. Those dark brown pupils seemed to carry a pensive sadness with them and I was lost in the melancholic aura that encircled him, binding him so tightly that it seemed so difficult for him to breath, to live.

 

He looked like a lifeless mannequin, manufactured perfectly from head to toe but without a soul or a tinge of emotion.

 

"Is there something on my face?" He asked, one hand steadily grasping the wheel, expression unchanging.

 

Like a deer caught in the headlights, I struggled to pretend that I hadn't been staring intensely at his face for the past 5 minutes.

 

"Oh no, no. I was just looking out of the window beside you. Ha. Ha. Ha." My awkward laughter was definitely not helping me out of the situation.

 

"Actually, I just realized that we haven't had much time to interact in school... So how about we get to know more about each other? Like right now."