Blessed

Pax et Amor

 

 

With my last ounce of strength, I turned the knob and pushed the door open. Right in front of me was Winter, excitedly spinning in circles and wagging her tail. She stuck her tongue out at me when I bent down to give her a belly rub, and pounced on my feet when I stood up afterwards. The sight of my 1 year old Maltese lifted my spirits almost immediately, though her long nails that scratched the chiffon fabric of my skirt reminded me that I had to bring her for a grooming session soon.

 

"Shhh, don't wake him up." I hushed her as she traced my steps into the living room. As if she understood my words, she headed for her dog bed and rested her fluffy head atop her front paws. Gosh, how cute can she get.

 

Just as I was about to grab a glass of water from the kitchen, a resting figure on the couch caught my eye. I thought he was already asleep in the bedroom, but I guess he had stayed up waiting for me to come home from work. I skipped the idea of getting a drink and walked over to the couch where he was sleeping uncomfortably with his feet sticking out of the couch. I always thought being short was tough but maybe being too tall wasn't all that great. Being careful not to jolt him awake, I slowly knelt in front of the couch so that I could get closer to his face.

 

Even after one year of moving together and seeing him everyday, I still could not get enough of this good-looking man. He did not have the perfect double eyelids that Asian beauty standards had established, but he had lashes that were even longer than mine. He did not look like any of the chiseled men you would see on western magazines, but he looked so pure, so kind. When he smiles at me, his crescent eyes make my fatigue dissolve into a flurry of warmth that engulfs my heart and makes me feel whole again.

 

He makes me count my blessings each day and look forward eagerly to the future which my pessimistic self would never have done. What exactly did I do to deserve him?

 

I was exhausted after a long day at work but a faint smile still crept up my face.

 

"Yeon-ah, I'm home." I caressed his head gently and watched as his eyes fluttered open. He gazed at me with half-open lids and beamed at me groggily.

 

"You're back?" He asked.

 

"Yes, my little sleepy boy." I nodded, tapping his nose lightly and chuckling when he scrunched his face.

 

I did not expect him to lunge at me and wrap his arms around my body, nuzzling up against the crane of my neck. "Stop calling me a little boy, I'm older than you babe. Plus, I'm sooo much taller."

 

I was younger than him by two years, but his actions always make me doubt that.

 

"Okay, okay... My silly little boy." I kissed the crown of his head and inhaled the musk fragrance of his shampoo. I was the one who bought his shampoo and of course, it would be practical to choose a scent that I liked since I would be smelling him everyday. Right?

 

All of a sudden, his hands drooped to my waist and launched a surprise tickling attack on my tummy.

 

"I warned you..." I erupted in a fit of laughter and sounded kind of similar to a crazy witch mixing her powerful potion.

 

"OKAY OKAY I'M SORRY-- PUHAHAHAHA" I managed to fit in my apology in between my uncontrollable chortle while desperately trying to pry his hands away from my waist.

 

"Good." He ruffled my hair and landed a light peck on my cheek. I love it when he kisses me on the face, but more preferably, on the lips. Getting up from the couch, he extended a hand out to me.

 

"May I have the honour of dancing with this beautiful lady?"

 

Hearing the word 'beautiful' sends butterflies down my tummy. Just 3 years ago, this compliment would have been a miracle.

 

I was in a bad, bad place.

 

To be more specific, a toxic relationship.