Never-Lasting

Pax et Amor

 

Things sped up from that point onwards.

 

Not long after the 'unexpected' car ride that used to set my cheeks on fire whenever I thought about it, we started to go out almost everyday after school and it wasn't a matter of time before a beautiful relationship blossomed between us. We tried to keep things lowkey, not informing anyone in school about us with the exception of Seungyoun. We were such good friends that it was impossible to keep anything from him.

 

In the beginning, everything felt perfect. Like any other girl, I used to fantasize about the things that I would do with my boyfriend if I was ever going to have one. My ideal date was simply a stay-home movie night, with the unconventional choice of beer over cola and cheese balls instead of popcorn. White snowflakes pelted gently against the windowpane as the lights on the Christmas tree flickered in a parade of vibrant colours. We would huddle up on the small couch with our legs tucked underneath the same woollen blanket, sharing the bare warmth that came off our bodies. After watching the umpteenth movie, I would fall asleep unknowingly; He would carefully tilt my head into the crook of his neck and it was as if two puzzle pieces came together -- It was like we were meant to be, and nothing could ever break us apart.

 

We were madly in love at one point in our lives, though it didn't last as long as I hoped for.

 

As time went by, I could feel the gap between us growing wider and wider. There would be days where I would be checking my phone constantly while waiting for his reply to my texts, but it would always end with me falling asleep with the phone grasped tightly in my palm-- A long string of messages unread. He started getting drunk more often and there were times where he never returned home till the next day. I had to clean up after him every time he came home in a drunken stupor and it ultimately got to a point where I felt as if he was just dating me to make sure that someone cleans his mess up everyday.

 

I was still in love with him, but that very same love was ripping me apart.

 

One winter day where snow heavily blanketed the roads and enveloped the nation in a chilling cold, I trudged back to our flat after a tiring part-time shift at the café. My shoulders were aching and my heels hurt with every step that I took. With Seungwoo having fun with his friends all day long, I was left to take on the responsibility of paying for our utility and rental bills. I worked tirelessly, but I thought it was well worth it just to be able to stay with him under the same roof and to see him as much as I could. Leaning forward on the door after I unlocked it, I managed to open the door without much effort.

 

Red stilettos?... But I never wore heels.

 

One step at a time, pieces of clothing appeared strewn on the floor. I followed the trail of clothing which led me to the entrance of our bedroom. Deep in my bones, I knew what was coming for me although I wanted to deny it so, so badly. I was even considering to just leave, pretend nothing had ever happened, and return the next day with a gentle, oblivious smile plastered across my face. That way, maybe he wouldn't leave me.

 

Oh, how foolish.

 

"You're back." A deep, groggy voice snapped me back to reality.

 

There he stood, his eyes half-open and his hair in a tousled mess. He didn't even bother covering his tracks -- The only piece of cloth left on his body was his boxers. Maybe he too, knew it was too late.

 

I couldn't bear to look at him. My eyes, looking down at my own feet. How could he, not have even a single bit of humanity in him, to feel guilty or apologetic towards me? Was our relationship simply a fragile bubble, one that consisted of nothing but falsity, and disappeared at the slight of a touch? How funny, I thought more of it.

 

Tears gathered at the corner of my eyes, and followed the course of gravity till they landed on my feet. My vision became blurry and my throat was dry. My legs were already depleted of energy, but right then, they were struggling to fulfil their basic function of supporting my hollow frame.

 

Biting back a cry, I let out a soft, quivering whimper. "Seungwoo, what's this supposed to mean?"

 

"Do I really have to spell it out for you, Yoo Jin?" Those words came out in a snicker. I remained silent, words unable to escape. He erupted in a sinister laughter, as if he had cracked a funny joke. Halting to a stop, he inhaled a deep breath.

 

"Whatever it was between us, it's over." Exhale.

 

 

-------

 

Hi guys! I'm really, really sorry for the super long hiatus ): It has been tough for me to balance school and work, along with this side hobby of mine. Though, I said I would continue writing if someone comments to let me know that my story is actually worth reading! Thank you so much @chuujeong_ for giving me the motivation to continue! ^^ This chapter is rather short, and I hope to finish this story in the next chapter or so. Once again, thanks to everyone who has given my fic a try and I hope to be able to update soon... O_O