first dance with the ghosts

2 fast 2 furious

 

The D-Day was approaching. Momo was looking at the night lights from one of Tokyo’s rooftops. There was some clouds high above her head but no sign of rain. A small breeze played with her long hair, eyes looking at the horizon. Tokyo had never felt familiar from above, only those streets she could drive had a taste of home. Kyoto was becoming a far memory. She had friends here, but only a few. Chaeyoung was her anchor just like her father. Both formed a duo she couldn’t be separated from. Nayeon and Dahyun added themselves through the weeks, it was easier to get a warm feeling towards the car seller than the mechanic; Miss Im.

A heavy sigh left her lungs, she forgot her cigarettes that night. A forced purge but breathing fresh air helped to feel alive. Tomorrow she’d run her first race, she’d put her first step in this madness, hoping she’d be able to cumulate enough cash to save her father’s business.

She could imagine the hard wheel under her fingers tips, how her muscles worked whenever she had to make a spin on a tight curve. The pressure under her feet while she sped up. She closed her eyes, hands moving in the air, slowly at first until perfectly choreographed and abrupt moves included themselves in a natural dance. Driving was an art. One mistake and death would welcome you with a flamboyant smile. The winner knows the circuits, knows their car, knows how to use the adrenaline right and adjust the course whenever a surprise happens.

Momo opened her eyes. The finish line was impossible to picture.

 

*****

 

“Hello pretty girl ?” It was an unexpected visit but Jeongyeon came early in the morning to say a quick hello. Her Porsche was shining all in gold under the first rays of light.

“Nice of you to compliment me at seven in the morning.” Nayeon was cleaning her hands, eyes still on the car she had to repair for a client. It wasn’t urgent but knowing it came from the son of a deputy was enough for the girl to hurry a bit. “What’s up ?” Finally an eye contact and Jeonyeon walked inside the garage. Nothing new, some boxes from deliveries here and there but Dahyun didn’t start before eight.

“I have a new tournament soon. Mind full, there is a lot of sponsors that want to collaborate, I am not used to it yet.” The youngest chuckled, obviously a bit nervous to be greeted by so much recognition.

“Life seems to be good to you. Lucky!” Nayeon said qui a cheeky smile while opening the car’s door to sit inside, turning on the engine. Both listened closed to the roaring sound, there was still something off, as if a little stone was trapped inside the hood. “I checked everything...” She started again the engine, the same exact sound but it did diminished after some adjustments earlier.

“Tonight is her first race then ?” Everybody knew about the new driver. Momo’s name was on the list, it did attract more people to know that a newbie was about to prove herself that night. “How do you feel ? She’s ready ?” Jeongyeon made herself home and opened the hood to check herself the problem. She took the closest gloves she could find to avoid burning herself against the burning metal. It wasn’t unusual for both of them to work together, just to give a hand.

“At first I thought we made a mistake, she was driving like a savage. But in a short span she softened her moves, learned to use the break… I guess she had it in her veins.” The mechanic scrunched her nose, making Jeongyeon laugh. It did cost a lot for Nayeon to spill the truth. “I guess she’s going to be alright, probably not first but she can impress.” Now both bending above the hood, their minds couldn’t focus properly.

“Tell me if you need anything alright ? I saw Jihyo yesterday and a police patrol. They were checking an area near the race’s spot.” It was a total coincidence but Jeongyeon happened to go back home and noticed a patrol of three cars checking a vast area near the airport, close enough from tonight’s race. “I don’t think they know but I wanted to tell you.” One hand against Nayeon’s shoulder for a pat and she sighed, stepping away from the black Audi.

“They have spotters that will make discreet rounds during the day until night falls, as always. Those guys are crazy, they know their jobs anyways.” Nayeon didn’t feel concerned much. Those races brought back so much money that they could hire people to keep an eye on them. Until now, whenever the police caught their illegal races, it had almost always been too late. Nayeon only got caught twice for the hundred races she had participated.

“Check the valves, I believe there might be some dust inside the compressor.” Jeongyeon had a sudden illumination and Nayeon snapped her fingers. Sun was pursuing its course, bathing the open garage with more light.

*****

It was not unusual to see Dahyun at the police station. Her father was the head chief of a whole brigade. Jihyo was under his command and both of course, would sometimes meet at the office. Mister Kim asked for his daughter, they could have meet in a coffee shop yet it seemed urgent. He knew his daughter worked in a garage and never suspected any illegal affair going on, thank God would say Nayeon that wasn’t ready to lose her job either.

“My sweet girl, you’re here.” His voice was soft. For such an important man in the area, he never looked intimidating. As far as Dahyun knew, mister Kim was seen as a good man only doing his duty. “I wish we could meet more often but we both seem pretty busy, right ?” They both hugged each other. In reality, Dahyun missed living with her family but since her parents divorced, she chose to move alone in the city to become more independent. She had enough cash to live and even if it was a surprising choice to become a car seller, her parents have always been proud.

“I still try to call you often, you almost never pick up!” Dahyun teased, knowing her father always called back. They both sat at his office. The window was opaque and the sun from the outside could barely warm any skin. Everything looked old, piles of cases taking dust, old diplomas hanging on the yellow walls. “I really am so close to come here with a paint bucket and paint those walls in white, it hurts my eyes.” Dahyun sighed, looking around while mister Kim probably didn’t noticed the walls becoming yellow through the years.

“Don’t bother, I think they will make some renovations soon.” He was looking at one file, it was hidden under a heavy box that seemed to be the cleanest object in this room. An employee must have put it there minutes ago. “Here, it is for your mother.” Dahyun took the plastic file holder, reading the title : DIVORCE.

“You didn’t sign ?” There was no signature and the date was coming close. It would take ages if her father didn’t make a choice. “It’s torture, for both of you.” Dahyun frowned, once again feeling sorry that they chose to part ways. But her mother had her reasons, he couldn’t go against a divorce if happiness could be the result of it all.

“Trust me, I wish I had the courage but I am a coward.” There was nothing but sadness inside mister Kim’s eyes. They both shared another warm hug, wishing this story would end well for everybody, her mother, her father, her brother and herself.

“Take your time, just don’t hurt her too much… Okay ?”

 

 

Dahyun walked out of her father’s office, sharing some smile’s with other cops she often met at the station. She reached the outside, sun hitting her face but some clouds seemed heavy. It could have been a bad omen for tonight but they didn’t seem to go towards Haneda.

There was a woman waiting near the road. In front of the police office there was parking spots and that person was probably waiting for a friend. Dahyun shouldn’t have cared but she knew the silhouette. It was Mina Myoui.

“Don’t worry, I wasn’t waiting for you.” Dahyun got chills. She probably didn’t notice it but Mina must have seen her before turning her back, she wasn’t a Medium. The car seller stepped closer until they were close enough to have a talk, both eyeing the road. “How are you, Dahyun ?” Mina’s voice wasn’t malicious at all. It was an honest and real question.

“I feel alright, what about… you ?” The talk was a little bit awkward but it soon vanished to become familiar.

“I am doing fine, just a bit mad today.” There wasn’t a laugh nor any sign of anger in her stable voice. Mina has always been able to control her emotions which used to amaze the youngest.

“Mad ?” Dahyun looked at her from the corner of her eyes.

“Let’s say that someone tried to control me and you know how much I hate it.” It was sharp words but nothing personal. Dahyun knew how to make the difference. She had a light spirit and wasn’t easy to unsettle.

“I believe you already found a solution for your problem ?” It wasn’t a real question because it was obvious that Mina was good at strategy. She would always find a way to reach her goals. Their eyes met while a car slowed down right in front of them. A cloud hid the sun, a breeze of cold hair hitting Dahyun’s face. Mina just smiled, not giving any answer before stepping inside a black Jaguar F-Type. The woman driving was insanely pretty. She never saw her before.

“Bye!” Dahyun tried, hoping for an echo and Mina looked back at her once inside the vehicle. She mouthed a bye before leaving the area at the speed of light, next to the driver’s seat.

 

*****

Night was falling.

Nayeon was arms crossed, looking at the orange circle disappear behind the houses. Its orange sunlight bathing her face, expression: worried. She couldn’t stop thinking about those words she exchanged with Taeyong. She couldn’t get rid of the soaking rain sensation on her cold skin. She took a deep breath. Day after day, she kept on making the same mistakes and for what ? It wasn’t clear anymore. It wasn’t clear at all. Air filled her lungs, a billion of little needles pricking her insides. Tears formed on the corner of her eyes. One night changed her whole life, every sunset felt like a stab right into the chest.

I have to focus on the race, she told herself. At that same moment, an engine roared. A black Jaguar F-Type parked in front of the garage. Nayeon didn’t expect any visit, even less from a stranger but when she saw who was on the passenger seat, her heart stopped for a second. She became pale.

The girl behind the steering wheel stayed inside the car but when Mina came out from the passenger seat, Nayeon had only a second to compose herself and act unbothered, as she always did.

“Aren’t you tired of wanting to control me ?” Mina’s words came like slaps. It always was a slap since Nayeon couldn’t behave. “You can’t, Nayeon, you’re putting energy into something useless.” The youngest came close enough to make the mechanic’s heart drop. Mina was beautiful, the last orange sunrays embracing her white skin. She was ethereal. For a moment her hand burned from the souvenir of a touch, a single against this soft skin she used to feel.

“It’s for you.” Her voice was a whisper. Despite her cold face, her voice couldn’t make it out powerful. Their eyes met, she got lost into this gaze full of anger. Anger towards herself, it hurts.

“It’s not for me.” Mina shook her face, slowly and a bitter smile braved her lips. “It’s for you. Let it go.” It was an order. One Nayeon should listen to but it was too hard. The sun disappeared and the girl inside the car didn’t show any impatience. She was there, as if it was her role to drive around the famous miss Myoui.

“How can I heal if I worry about you ?” Nayeon chuckled but hid a cry in the process. She looked away, closing her eyes. It was so hard yet so easy to voice out her weaknesses when Mina was around. But something broke in a million pieces and Nayeon kept trying to pick them back one by one to find herself again.

“You’ll start healing the day you’ll start worrying about you, not me.” Mina’s anger was still there, so intense she could implode. But she knew Nayeon, she had some keys that none of her friends had. Mina knows Nayeon. This fact was the whole difference. “It’s the last time.” A last warning before she walked away, got back inside the car and sighed. The girl next to her looked at Nayeon through the window. She was pretty but definitely a friend of Mina that she never saw before.

 

 

Nayeon was late for the race.

Momo was nervous. Dahyun tried to handle the small crises but gave up, calling Nayeon numerous times. No response. “! Where is she ?!” The Subaru Impreza wrx sti attracted people. It was a nice car, entirely customized with the number nine on it. The yellow sponsor’s name gave the car a pretty nice design. But Momo couldn’t enjoy the music nor the euphoria when the main specialist wasn’t there. She noticed Mina, fifteen minutes ago but didn’t even had the will to start a chit-chat. First, because she was too anxious and second, because a beautiful woman kept following her up-close. “Lord, where are you ?!” The driver could hear Dahyun through the phone, trying to catch Nayeon’s voice despite the loud music blasting in the huge garage. A minute later, Nayeon showed up, hands inside her pockets.

“You came with your car ?” Dahyun was confused since Nayeon hated driving. But Jeongyeon’s head showed up in the crowd, she got the clue.

“Let’s start with a hello, and the race will start in twenty minutes so breathe.” The mechanic found Mina too, showing off her new equipment. Her Mistubishi Lancer Evolution was shining, as if it already won the race.
 

“You asked Taeyong to disqualify her, I’ve heard.” Dahyun started, not even surprised with the frosty hello. “We’ll talk about it later, Momo is absolutely nervous so please do something.” It was hard to look away from Mina being the perfect butterfly she was, if they knew she’d mostly would spread her wings like a crow. Nayeon took a deep breath, nodding. She headed towards the Subaru, greeting a pretty edgy Momo.

“How do you feel ?” Their eyes met and Momo wouldn’t admit it, but she felt a bit more relaxed now. She scraped , biting onto her lip.

“Fine, of course. Just hoping I’ll… I’ll make it.” She said.

“Wow, where did miss Confident go ?” Nayeon chuckled, mind trying to focus on the present time. “Listen. First races are the most difficult, because we know nothing but once behind the wheel you’ll love the adrenaline.” Those were the best advices Nayeon could give to her new racer. She patted Momo’s shoulder, an awkward attempt to make her feel okay, not sure it worked. The sushi delivery girl nodded, taking deep breaths. She could remember the feeling of the wheel under her palms again, the curves, it became a mantra to empty her mind, to free herself from stress.

“And Momo.” Nayeon’s voice rang like a far memory. “Fear isn’t an enemy.” Fear isn’t an enemy, yes, fear isn’t an enemy, she thought. It could be a good drive, it keeps people ready for any eventuality.

 

 

All the contestants had to present themselves behind the wheel. There was white lines traced with paint spray cans in the garage where the ten racers had to wait. Some engines were already roaring, while Momo kept quiet. Nayeon’s advice didn’t leave her mind, she found the force to focus on the road only. She was gripping the wheel, neon lights drawing the outline of her lips, half of her face in the shadows. Tayeong’s car was on the first line, she was fourth and Mina eighth. The gap wasn’t big but a bad start could kill the whole race. “You do this for you father. You do this for your family.” But another thought was digging inside her skull, emerging from the depth of her heart. It made its way towards her brain to for a particular thought : “I do this because I love racing.”

A woman cat walked her way towards the garage’s open door to lift up a race flag. Momo didn’t even focus on her face, no contestants did. Their eyes were looking at the black and white flag, feet reading to press the accelerator once it’d go down. Everything went on a slow motion, the woman lowered the flag and a white fog was left inside the garage with loud cheers following the car’s departure.

The first curve was easy to take. Minami Honmoku wasn’t hard to cross from the warehouse. The racers couldn’t reach their limits yet when they took the Honmoku line towards Haneda airport. The most risky part was : the airport itself, with the police. Momo was third. She kept a constant eye behind her when she crossed the Minato red crossed hospital, if she had an accident there it would be a ing disaster. She couldn’t see Mina’s car. Soon, the cars took another path detached from the highway to avoid catching the police’s eye right after Yokohama’s Bay Bridge. A quick drive full of adrenaline through the Honmoku line, enough to make Momo scream out of adrenaline inside her Subaru. “Oh !” She couldn’t stop saying, looking right in front of her eyes, heart racing.

Nayeon, Dahyun and Jeongyeon took Dahyun’s car to reach Haneda’s airport with the skyline. They were following the race through the phone, spotters keeping the update with funny comments, crazy ones. Nayeon was hiding the weird feeling squeezing her chest. Jeongyeon and Dahyun were on the front seats, she could hide her thoughts. Long ago, she was the one driving. Those lights would hit her face, she’d take Yokohama’s Bay Bridge full speed, never thinking about braking. Never. She didn’t race with the Toyota corolla on those roads, she’d always go for Dahyun’s choice or most of the time; the skyline when it had better impulse.

“Momo is fifth now, I believe Mina took the opportunity she is second now, behind Taeyong. It happened towards Tsurumitsubasa Bridge. It’s a three way, it must have been a fight. Lord I wish I could see!” Jeongyeon laughed, honestly missing those races yet she knew, she’d never risk her life ever again for some money. She’d rather stick on the right path. Nayeon shared a quick smile with her friend, arms crossed, eyes looking again at the road.

Mina was second. Nayeon closed her eyes, thinking about her face, her scent. Those nights Mina promised she’d never put her life on the line for some money. Those nights when Nayeon felt secure, the happiest. Thinking about her past made her breath heavy. The tip of fingers where touching her skin, nails slightly digging when she thought about her. Her smartness, her laugh, how much she loved their car rides. Mina was like an angel, an angel hiding so much more than any other normal human being. If Nayeon knew the Myoui’s earlier, would have it changed anything ? Would have she accepted the betrayal coming from the woman she used to share a bed with ? Mina was more than just a pretty face, she was the key from the underworld. Mina knew her power and loved playing with fire, but why ?

“Hey! Momo is back on the third place!” Dahyun was enjoying the race a bit too much, almost cutting the road from another car. “Oups! Sorry girls.” Jeongyeon rolled her eyes, genuinely happy that they maybe found their savior.

 

 

Momo could see the SAN-AI OIL from afar. Those huge round containers in front of Haneda’s airport. Soon she’d be above the Tama River, flying at the speed of light with her Subaru Impreza. She was insane for this, it was mostly linear but she had to take opportunities at each curves. Make sure she’d take advantage when the contestants would make mistakes. And she knew what was coming. They weren’t taking Tokyo’s highway once arrived at Haneda, nope. At the right moment, the spotters would open the gate and they’d hit the airport’s concrete. Tires on the cold airport ground, in between planes, racing for their lives towards a private warehouse.

Her whole body was shaking from adrenaline. She saw Taeyong taking the turn, leaving the highway and she did too. There, in between parked planes, driving at the speed of light, they fought. The Subaru Impreza wrx sti, the Nissan GT-R R35 and the Mitsubishi lancer evolution.

Mina wasn’t far, she could close the gap anytime. A little mistake from the Mitsubishi’s driver and she could win a place. Momo was focused, heart thumping. Their cars were slaloming between high pillars, avoiding planes and the craziest part was driving at 86 mph right under a plane’s heavy metallic structure. Momo never thought she’d find herself in an illegal race, able to hit the gravel next plane’s huge wheels. The three cars took the turned after FamilyMart to reach back the highway. The other contestants were in a fair distance but soon, the finish line would get bitten under her burning tires and Momo had to overrun Mina.

There wasn’t much kilometers left. The car was burning but Momo had to push it to its limits to steal the second place from the Mitsubishi. Through the radio, Jeongyeon, Dahyun and Nayeon thought that the final result was already plotted. It was nearly impossible to close the gap at such speed after Haneda’s airport.

But Momo took the opportunity. The last curve before the warehouse was narrow. Mina chose to slow down to take the turn smoothly and hopefully regain speed right after. She never thought Momo would have the guts to drift, not for a 90 degrees angle. The Subaru’s tires screeched on the ground, forcing Mina to stop. It happened in a second, she saw Momo’s blue spoiler mere centimeters from her car and disappear in full speed. Her heart was thumping, she had to press the pedal and drive but only to reach the third place. “!” A silent cuss, loud cheers soon to be heard under the wide warehouse, probably illegally rented for the night. 

She slammed her fist against the wheel. The newbie won yet, she was a newbie wanting to make a good impression too and she got outshone. She closed her eyes, breathed, straightened her back and saw her friend from Osaka coming closer, asking Mina to lower the car’s window.

“What happened ?” The Osakan asked with a large smile.

“I made a mistake.” Mina chuckled. She took a deep breath and opened the car’s door, slamming it without a sound behind her. The other girl was impressed at how fast she could cool down. They haven’t been friends for years but they never got into a fight mostly because Mina had an amazing self-control. Family issues hardens the heart unless a specific person called Nayeon gets in the way.

“What kind of mistake ?” Her friend asked.

“To underestimate the others.” Mina admitted with a smile, eyes looking for the Subaru Impreza’s owner. The runner-up was smiling, looking at the crowd, arms up to celebrate such a nice run for a first race. Mina checked if Nayeon was around but nothing, area: cleared.

“What if the real question is… you did underestimate her, more precisely ?” The taller of the two had a flirtatious tone but they were just friends. Night, cars, parties just brought the mood to be a bit more relaxed.

“Sana, stop with your idiocy. Thank you.” She pushed some people to make her way towards Momo. The new racer noticed Mina, a smirk on the corner of her lips.

“Surprised ?” Momo did not waste time to be full of herself. She had to, it was a boost for the next races and the money ? She could already give some to her father to pay the bills. A win for her, a win for her family. Her heart was beating fast, her mind had no anchor. She was happy, adrenaline rushing through her veins.

“More than surprised, I am interested.” Mina didn’t waste time to speak her thoughts. Momo made an ‘O’ with , walking away from the cheering and dancing crowd. She didn’t notice Dahyun moving her hand to get her attention. “But not in you, not in that way.”

“In what way ?” Momo wanted to light up a cigarette but thought that out of gallantry, she’d wait. Back against a pillar, eyes on the racer, she was curious. Nervousness almost left her system.

“I can’t tell you now, first you need to show me more of your skills.” Mina kept a fair distance between them. To avoid any tension while Sana started to mind her own business, looking for some alcohol. The two women could speak without curious ears.

“So much mystery. Why ?” If she could know now, Momo wouldn’t waste time. Mina was enough of a mystery. From Nayeon avoiding her yet seeking her attention, that stranger following her like it’s her shadow and this. It was enough.

“No, it’s not about mystery.” Mina chuckled while uncrossing her arms. She looked more relaxed than earlier, Momo liked that. “It’s about you getting mature.” It sounded like a pike. Momo laughed it off, arms still crossed while her eyes finally noticed Dahyun in the crowd, tapping her wrist.

“Once you think… I am mature enough, call me.” With her hand she mimicked a phone call, straightening her back to walk towards Dahyun. Momo wasn’t offended but didn’t like being insulted. Her ? Not mature ? If Mina’s had such a bad personality, she didn’t have time to loose.

“I don’t have your phone number.” Mina spoke before the new racer could flee.

“Do you want it ?” Momo teased, walking backwards with that forced smile Mina wanted to rip out of her face.

“No.”

 

 

 

“They are flirting.” Nayeon spoke.

“No they aren’t.” Dahyun replied.

“Of course they are.” Nayeon whined.

“Momo looks annoyed.” Dahyun shrugged while their new racer was making their way towards the duo.

“ing finally celebrating with the ones that made you! Thank you for your presence.” Nayeon bit with so much bitterness that Momo just huffed a laugh. “So, Myoui ?” She couldn’t restrain herself from asking. Knowing Mina, she had an idea inside her brain that was as complex as a labyrinth.

“I didn’t ask anything yet she called me “immature” can you believe it ?” Momo took a beer on the nearest table but Nayeon snapped it from her hand. She had to drive the Subaru back home later, the police was making rounds now and it would be stupid to get arrested for drinking alcohol.

“Yes we do but the thing is, be careful.” Nayeon opened the can while Jeongyeon was looking at the trio. Momo ran an amazing race but there was no yells, no smiles, no high fives.

“Wow! You seem so happy the three of you.” Jeongyeon joked, moving her fists in the air to cheer the amazing atmosphere between the three. Nayeon rolled her eyes, Dahyun managed to smile a bit and Momo… sighed. “Guys, let’s move out of here and celebrate at the garage, okay ?” It was a pretty good proposition. It was a night to be remembered, not a night we’d want to forget.

“Okay, let’s move!” Dahyun finally yelled, hands up to lift up everybody’s mood.

*****
 

Mina didn’t go home that night.

The night was a bit cold but maybe it was the impact of the race. She never thought she could beat Taeyong but she firmly believed nobody could steal the spotlight. Not that she was a fan of attention but she had to, it was in the contract. Tonight was her second race and a newbie was already making the night crowd curious.

Momo.

If she went home now, her family would ask her where she’d been and why did she came home late. Sana could have helped her to find a lie but her friend chose to go party in Shinjuku. Tomorrow she had to change the tires, the race at the airport killed them entirely and even more after she had to suddenly brake to let Momo pass on the curve. She replayed this moment inside her mind countless times until it became a deformed memory, almost blurry.

When the first sun rays shined in the horizon, she was already driving back home. Her busy family wasn’t there anymore to notice she’s been out and no butler would sell such a secret. Mina paid them anyways.

 

 

Nayeon has never been able to tell with exact words what Mina was doing for a living. She only knew she worked with her father and from that fact a lot of conflicts raised. Mina could be seen - from a stranger’s point of view, as a marionette. If her father asked to go check the Myoui’s subsidiary in Osaka, she’d go. If he asked her to give him a full review of a dubious partner, she’d go. She was trained to interview people, to obtain the right answers and always for the sake of the Myoui’s. Until now, they were appreciated because of their amazing public façade. But if you did dig a bit further, Mina was drifting from the family’s value as she grew older.

“You know I’m good at lying but until when ? What if your father hired someone else to make sure you’re doing correctly your job ?” Sana sat next to Mina on the luxurious couch. The Myoui’s daughter had her own bureau at home, inside their mansion. She never really loved it there but until now, no secret left this office and she felt safe.

“Did my family ever complained ?” Mina asked a bit tense.

“Not your mother since she’s just enjoying the wealth but your father… He’s mysterious you know.” Sana went straight to the point but Mina grimaced.

“My mom might look superficial but trust me she isn’t all about money.” She tried to defend the woman that forged her. Her mother was a follower but it didn’t mean she was a bad person.

“If you say so.” The eldest smiled but it was a smile that did hid some secrets.

“What’s that smile ?” Mina was now looking at her friend. She adored Sana for being straightforward despite loving playing a bit with people’s mind. Nobody has ever been this loyal to her without wanting anything back. “Tell me.”

Sana just shrugged, now eyes on her. It was a moment between them two only. “Do we still stick to the original plan or not ?” The question itself made Mina sigh. She bit her lip, looking away to avoid getting trapped inside Sana’s beautiful eyes.

“Do we have a choice ?” The Myoui’s heir huffed a laugh but her heart wasn’t in it. Sana kept on looking at her friend as if she could see all the cracks. It was easy for her to press her index onto the right buttons to unleash what’s under the mask.

“Patience is a virtue.” Sana couldn’t resist it and let her hand touch Mina’s shoulder for a soft . Her malicious smile disappeared. “I am not a patient person but you are, what matters is the result.” Mina was relaxing under Sana’s touch and words and even dared to laugh.

“Almost talking like my father, scary.”

The birds were singing outside. The window from her bureau was giving to their garden. A never ending path of grass. Looking at it helped Mina to collect herself whenever her mind was about to explode. Despite being mostly silent and discreet, she had some impulsions. Sometimes emotions took over, her own will to find independence too. That’s also why she chose Sana when they met in Osaka, without Sana she’d never been here today.

Without Nayeon too.