before the race

2 fast 2 furious

 

Since their first meeting, Momo hadn’t been able to arrive on time yet this day for their first training she made it, avoiding Nayeon’s scolding. It must have been barely eight o'clock in the morning, Nayeon yawned and stretched her arms towards the clear sky. Dahyun was already checking the route after delineating the correct trail Momo had to follow. The sun was about to burn the concrete as well as the gravel, the weather could get heavy anytime soon.

"Miracle, she's on time." It's hard for the older of the duo to stay awake. Last night had been restless, some nightmares had disturbed her sleep. The same nightmares, on a loop. Nayeon never talked about it, less she talked about it more she could focus on anything but what happened a year ago.

Momo closed the door from her Subaru, eyes looking at the circuit. The place was ideal to train the drifts, to learn the mastery of the handbrake as well as the gear box. Momo made no secret of her apprehension, her jaw kept clenching. Despite her experience, she used to drive through the mazes of the city or the hill. This forgotten factory was unfamiliar. This place seemed perfect, it was undeniable but she also realized that diligence had to be the order of the day.

"We're going to start slowly, today we're teaching you how to manage speed in narrow roads." Without a single hello, Nayeon had approached, hands hidden inside her pockets. As usual, she wore overalls. The only striking difference was that her hair was tied up and she was wearing a cap. Under her overalls we could guess a tank top in anticipation of the hot weather. "Do you feel like you're ready for this?" She asked, while Momo laughed.

"Hello first." The remark came to sting Nayeon, but it had the impact of waking her up. She stared at the novice before approaching the Subaru Impreza wrx sti. Without asking the owner's consent, she opened the hood to check the condition of the machine. Her feet then hit the tires to check the pressure, and then finally it was the inside that sifted through her gaze. This silence wasn’t appreciated. Momo felt a certain judgment in the lack of words. Of course she had to gain her trust, Momo wasn’t an expert about a cars good condition or not for a race but for some unclear reasons Nayeon had her ways to get on her nerves just by breathing.

"So? Satisfied?” Her hand tapped the hood to attract the attention of the garage owner who was leaning inside. She recoiled to get out of the vehicle and crossed the eye of the future driver. Dahyun watched the conversation as she cleaned her hands from a cloth after she finished demarcating the course with chalk. The personalities of Nayeon and Momo would most often ignite a strong explosion that might set fire to anything approaching them. Dahyun wasn't going to get bored anytime soon.

“For today it’s okay, but once we’re done we’ll have to bring some important changes to your car.” Nayeon tried her best to use a smooth voice, hiding her hot temper. Impressive, thought Dahyun. Momo had to agree, indeed her car was nothing like those she saw at the race and if she wanted to win money for her father, she had to bite her tongue and know her boundaries. It was so hard for such an independent and stubborn woman to actually set up rules to herself. But for how long will this do the trick ?

“Let’s get it started, I’m already bored.” One last tap on the Subaru’s hood and she got back inside, driving slowly towards the line. Meanwhile Dahyun was back to the starting line, waving at Momo to greet her.

“There’s white demarcation on the ground, follow them slowly until you’re back here. You better know your surroundings first unless you want to smash your car.” Dahyun’s voice was loud for Momo to listen.

“Shouldn’t I wear a helmet ?” Momo’s voice rose but it made both Nayeon and Dahyun laugh. It didn’t really made her laugh, not at all. It was a serious matter, yet those two supposedly professionals were mocking her. “Calm down Momo.” She inhaled and exhaled.

“Just go already!” Nayeon was drying her tears. The Subaru speeded up, going past them cracking their best laughs. In the world of illegal races there was nothing such as : helmets, or anything to make them feel secure. People didn’t care, their fuel was adrenaline and adrenaline was about flirting with the limits. Everybody knew it and Momo had to get used to it and fast. While driving slowly through the huge pillars and under the old fabric’s roof, different thoughts crossed her mind. Most of them were words from her mother, the numerous arguments about racing. How dangerous it could get.

“Focus!” Momo told to herself. The most she speeded up, the loudest her mother’s voice kept ringing in the back of her brain. Her skull was pounding. Her hands could crush the steering wheel if she kept on letting those thoughts taking over her concentration. The first lap felt like eternity, Nayeon and Dahyun went from laughter to confusion within minutes.

“Did you get lost or something ?” The first to check on Momo was the eldest. Hands on the hood, head behind the open window, she wanted to make sure everything was alright. Even at slow speed nobody took ten minutes to finish this circuit. “Do you feel ready or do you need some time ?” Nayeon’s sudden concern relaxed Momo. She stopped griping the steering wheel, shaking her head before looking up at the sky. A shaky breath got out of , the sun was blinding already.

“I was trying to fusion with my surroundings.” Momo’s voice had this tint of sarcasm that made Nayeon roll her eyes. Dahyun had to bite her lip not to start again and end up with stomach aches from laughing too much.

“Jokes aside, I’m ready.” The delivery girl side glanced Nayeon, a weird feeling building inside her stomach. A question was once again burning her lips, a single and unique question she had to keep for another time.

“Go to the starting line and amaze us!”

 

 

And Momo did amaze the duo. The first three laps were disastrous but as the sun followed its daily course, the Subaru gained fluidity and started to break records. The drifts became smoother, the precision a little bit better but Momo still had some issues with speed. She was too aggressive, eager to rush and this could be dangerous in narrow curves without any safety barriers.

“If only you could teach her, take the wheel and-” Dahyun got so excited over their new partner that she almost forgot about Nayeon’s fear. Her last words luckily got silenced by the roaring sound from the tired Subaru coming back from its last glorious lap.

“You drove like the police was behind your .” Nayeon mocked, showing off her bunny teeth. Momo was torn between finding it disgustingly cute or annoying.

“Am I here to win races or for a recreational outing ?” The driver bit back before getting out of her car. The tires were used up. The hood was on fire but some proud feeling embraced her heart. Her mother’s voice was long gone and forgotten after that first intense teaching lesson.

“Before focusing on the speed you must master your angles and when to hit or not the pedal.” Nayeon warned. The previous spill of words from Dahyun seemed to have no impact in her authoritative mood. Yes, she was craving to take the wheel and show Momo what’s the real deal but she couldn’t, not now, not until she stops having nightmares. “There is a timing for everything, here 15% of your speed wasn’t put in a good use. Dahyun will give you some advices behind the wheel next time.” Her voice tone wasn’t soft, it could slice the hardest metal but Momo kept shut. The sun was getting hotter, the ground could burn their skin. No use to start another round of fight and make it worse.

“I’m dehydrated, you got a bottle of water?” Momo retorted, acting like a stubborn child. Nayeon rolled her eyes and took a bottle of water from the freezer, throwing at Momo that caught it in the air. She was already out the Subaru to check on the engine. Her stomach was growling.

“Chinese ? I’m hungry.” Dahyun's voice came to relax the other two women who needed to eat and breathe out their weird moods. The sun was becoming unbearable and changes had to be made to the Subaru to prepare it for illegal racing.

 

*****

 

Chaeyoung was waiting for a response from Momo. Even calling her best friend on her cell phone lead to nothing but to the combox. She used to wait for her in a shopping alley. They had their habits, took the same table every Friday before planning their weekend. Although it was only Tuesday, Momo hadn't responded for a while to her texts, which didn't require too much effort to be honest. A loud grunt left her lips, her body burning under the warm sun. Bottom sat on a chair, legs stretched b on the sidewalk a woman yelled at her “The street ain’t yours!” But Chaeyoung just grinned, eyes closed behind her sun glasses.

“What is she doing ?” She whispered to herself. Momo wasn’t good at ghosting.

 

 

It went on for four days. At the garage the Subaru had major customs. The valves got changed to increase the power, Nayeon had to change the water pump for the car to cool down faster than before. Her experience was welcomed and Momo learned two or three tips about tuning. The leader of the trio didn’t fear getting dirty. She had spent hours working in the space between the car’s body and the hard ground. Any little change she supervised was done to give the Subaru more power and better performances at cooling down. It wasn’t unusual for an engine to break because the system gets too hot. Nayeon herself had learned it the hard way and spend hours crying over long lost runs when she started racing.

“So, what’s your story ?” Momo was wearing a cap, showing off her sharp jawline. Nayeon was tightening one last rod, her face suddenly peeking out from the car’s bumper. Their eyes met.

“Does it matter to know about my past, do you want to write my biography ?” Her voice had no particular emotion. She had spent the last five hours trying to fix the last pieces and she was craving for some Burger.

“What if ? Is you life interesting enough ?” Momo retorted, eating some chips while her hands got sticky from the oil and salt. She her fingers in front of Nayeon’s eyes. It was gross.

“You seemed nicer when you kept your mouth shut.” Nayeon pulled herself out of the car’s body, pushing hard with her hands against the bumper. Her back was pressed against an old skateboard she fixed to make it more comfortable for her back. Once up she washed her hands to the metallic sink.

“For once I was trying to be nice, make an effort.” The youngest sighed, not really caring about Nayeon’s mood. It’s been a full week now and she got used to it. The sun was slowly setting down, orange bathing her pale skin. Somewhere in the city, people were having fun with her dad’s money. Those people must rot in Hell, Momo thought. The sun was gnawing at her skin, eating with its warmness her complexion and deep down, she thought about those bastards burning.

“I’ve heard about your father.” Nayeon started, coming closer. Her eyes followed Momo’s eye sight. A police car was making rounds a bit further on the main road. It wasn’t Jihyo.

“How do you-” But the delivery girl got cut by Nayeon’s logical mind.

“We live in the same town, I saw the broken windows and kinda got the clue.” Silence fell between both of them. Dahyun was gone already, she had made her shift early enough to go spend time with friends. She had a life while Nayeon was more a : I-stay-in-my garage girl. She left Korea to build this and this was her home. Despite Dahyun’s encouragements, what happened a year ago transformed the garage owner into a grumpy bunny. People ? Annoying.

“Smart.” Momo was faking amazement, using a childish tone. Nayeon closed her eyes, hoping for calm and serenity, which was barely possible with a soul like Momo. In the silence, the Japanese woman had a strong aura and Nayeon never loved people taking space. They had to work hand in hand but it wasn’t easy.

“He got robbed. He lost everything.” Momo started. Her voice tone changed drastically. Nayeon’s brows furrowed and she checked on her new teammate. “I want to win money to give him a second chance.”

Nayeon hummed, closed her eyes and let the sun spread its last warm sunrays against her skin. At least she could trust Momo for now, she had a purpose. The only problem was her bad habits ; women, stubbornness and sarcasm. 

 

*****

“You’re pretty busy now that you’ve lost your job at your father’s restaurant.” Chaeyoung was chewing on her hamburger. They both went for a good fat meal in the best burger fast-food of the town. It was one of their usual meeting. This spot was nice, the retro vibe and Elvis songs were entertaining. Some students went there after school to grab something to eat but at night time, it wasn’t too crowded. Their voices could rest and speak without any need to shout. Food was great too, generous. The smell made Momo’s stomach growl as she took a first huge bite. She threw a death glare towards her friend, munching until she could articulate some words while Jailhouse from Elvis Presley was playing in the background.

“Life’s diverse, we go to parties and I’m… looking for a new job.” A lie. Momo kept eating to avoid bringing out the fact that she did fell into the trap. For now, Chaeyoung couldn’t know about her little illegal business going on. Her best-friend had her fair share with cars and she’d lose it if she learned that the little dark head she cared about the most chose to put her life on the line. But unfortunately for her, Chaeyoung had a 7th sense and could smell her lies from miles away.

“I’m not convinced.” The youngest was smart. She may not be able to let her feelings out in the open yet, she was pretty good at asking questions and digging into people. That’s what attracts women, this intelligence flowing through clever words. “You’re hiding something.” Another bite. The night fell and they were about to stroll down the streets, hoping to have some fun at some random bar and go home in the morning.

“I’m not. Sometimes we get busy, sometimes we don’t. Just say you miss me already.” Momo’s grin wasn’t enough persuade the smart girl. Chaeyoung felt that something was going on. She had a very bad feeling about any kind of agreement Momo made with those two girls she met weeks ago and her intuition never failed her.

“I don’t want to lose you, that’s all. But being your best friend also means that I care.” Maybe Chaeyoung did it on purpose but some sadness tainted her words. Momo’s lie did hurt her since they used to be transparent towards each other. Maybe she was wrong and nothing was going on but for someone that did trust her guts and hardly got signals wrong, yes, she felt hurt.

“Listen, my father lost his job, his money, got robbed!” Momo’s anger was almost clutching her heart, squeezing it tight. She had to race, she had to help him, she had to. “What else can I do ?” Her lips quivered. Heartbreak hotel was now playing, pitying the woman and bathing her into dramatic sadness. She almost gave up on eating, eyes gazing at the food. The anger nearly beat her voracious stomach.

“Get a job that doesn’t involve illegal races and death ?” Chaeyoung pointed out, eyes wide open, bewildered.

“It’s not easy. I know your bro-”

“Don’t!” The sudden shift in the air brought an uncomfortable silent fight. Momo could sometimes be clumsy, show nothing but strong stubbornness and hurt without thinking twice about words and their meanings. Chaeyoung dropped her half eaten hamburger on the plate, cleaning her fingers silently. Momo shouldn’t have brought the subject.

“Listen, I’m sorry.” Jaw clenched, Momo didn’t intend to bring a sensitive subject on the table. Everybody has their own demons, fears and their own past. Life and death work together, fair and unfairness too. “What I’m trying to tell you, it’s that everything is under control.” But her voice sounded defeated.

“That’s what we all say, Momo.” Slowly, the anger died down. Momo was able to finish her burger when the music switched to Bette Davis Eyes from Kim Carnes. Relaxed, she knew Chaeyoung was too kind, too kind for someone like her. “Just tell me when you go race, I don’t want to feel anxious every night.” Those final words lead to an agreement between them two. The night could start again, hearts feeling lighter after an honest talk.

“Roppongi ?” Momo asked as they stood up and left, leaving money on the table. The night was young. But youth was easy to take away.

 

 

Roppongi was the place to go whenever you wanted to meet new people and blend into an ocean of strangers. Known for its diversity it was easy to find a man or woman to finish the night with, no matter if their intentions were good or bad, the only key word was : fun. Little by little, this area expanded itself to appeal more public, more people into its streets and residences. The new look of this district attract, not only the Japanese people but foreigners, the rich and the middle class.

Chaeyoung and Momo both sank into the nightlife of this district. Chaeyoung’s yellow car didn’t go unnoticed in front of one of the coolest nightclub in town. Proud smile on her face, she made her way inside the club, Momo following her closely.

“It’s already full, we only hit midnight.” Bodies pressed together, it was already too hot inside. The girls found a spot near the bar to order some drinks. From there they could check if they knew some heads. “I’m not sure I will be able to go on all night.” Momo was waiting for her beer, eyes focused on the Dj. He wore a snapback with a Hawaiian shirt.  People in front of the decks kept jumping, losing themselves over vibrations and repetitive waves of retro techno.

“Got some appointment tomorrow morning ?” Chaeyoung asked, looking at some girls kissing. She wrinkled her nose before meeting Momo’s eyes. Seriousness was written on her forehead, a rare sight to catch in a night club.

“As crazy as it sounds I gotta go check my Sub’, my car got some new changes and I’m excited to see the result and bite the asphalt!” A smile crossed her lips, one of those rare smiles you can only display out of passion. Chaeyoung wanted this to stop, now, before it went too far. But Momo’s smile meant the world. She’d rather be supportive than a bad friend, a good advice is always better than an argument.

“I hope you’d give me a ride.” Chaeyoung snorted before a girl appeared from the compact crowd to whisper against her ear. It’s as if she was waiting for them to halt in their conversation to let herself be seen.

“Or you can give me a ride.” Momo was biting her lip to prevent from laughing, looking at her friend being the first prey tonight. Chaeyoung had red cheeks, unprepared for such a fast proposition. Eyes seeking for an absent help, she quickly understood that she couldn’t rely onto her long time best friend.

“Oh well yeah- tonight I’m not feeling it, you know…” She tried her best, biting her lip while the beautiful woman had those piercing eyes. She was European, probably French and was the personification of those lovely ladies you’d read about in romantic books. “But we can talk!” The foreigner found her absolutely cute, stumbling on her words. Yes, Chaeyoung used to get women but that one was something else. Momo hurried her friend to go talk in a quieter place with the girl, promising she’d be there and won’t give up on her.

After her beer she went for Yuzushu. The crowd never weakened. Momo had let her thoughts wander, she could feel the handbrake against the palm of her hand, she could perfectly picture the track from the old factory. The beat made her heart race, thoughts merging one after another. The adrenaline made her head spin. Soon, a face appeared on her mind : Mina’s. This girl was a whole mystery, ethereal yet playing with fire. Momo recalled perfectly well how people would look at the girl, as if they were hungry and fascinated and to be honest, she wasn’t a good example either. She finished her drink, playing with the ice cubes melting against the cold glass.

That’s when she tried hard to go back on earth that she met eyes with Hyejeong.

“!” Jaw clenched, she tried to run away from her ex-girlfriend. Unfortunately Hyejeong was determined to catch her. It was ridiculous, they both found themselves stuck in a hallway falling into some people kissing each other with heavy tongues and obscene groping.

“If you want to talk just call me!” Momo almost whined, showing a very childish side.

“You never answer!” Hyejeong was already desperate to have a real talk.

“Write me a later then! I don’t care, but not tonight!” Hands inside her dark hair, Momo closed her eyes while asking her ex to just go away.

“Don’t be dramatic now, just don’t! It is useless Momo, it is childish.” Hyejeong tried to talk some sense out of her ex-girlfriend but Momo was being all stubborn. Since their breakup it was impossible to complete a sentence without one of them screaming or running away.

“You’ve been the dramatic one for weeks, I’m done now.” Feet finally rooted into the ground, Momo looked up at Hyejeong. She didn’t look mad, just sad and a bit desperate to lead a conversation between them too. The couple next to them stopped kissing to attend the little show. “Go the away, what are you looking at ?!” Momo yelled before they both quickly left, almost tripping over each other. A sigh escaped her lips, the alcohol didn’t help to focus.

“I’m not here to get you back, I’m here for a face to face apologize.” Hyejeong tried to catch Momo’s hands but the youngest was quick to react, stepping back.

“You broke my trust. I mean, you broke my heart.” Momo’s tears were visible now. Maybe her feelings did fade, it happened weeks ago and her heart had time to heal a bit but the worst was losing a friend. “I don’t even know if I can be friends with you again, your dishonesty…” Her lower lip almost bled out of anger. Momo wanted to go away, keep on living without facing her ex now.

“I have been the worst. I know it and an apologize won’t fix anything.” Hyejeong gave up on coming closer and rested her back against the dirty pinkish wall, neons bathing her face with a blue light. “I’m just sincerely sorry okay.” She breathed out while Momo laughed.

“Fine, be sorry. Now leave me alone.” Momo’s voice was so cold and unwelcoming that it forced Hyejeong to take a break and respect her desire to be alone. She opened the door, loud electro gushing in before it became a muffled sound again. Momo was feeling cold, stolen. Even if the night started to become boring, it didn’t have to turn this way.

 

Chaeng 01:24

I’m outside for now if you’re looking for me, probably will leave soon we can meet up around 2 to say goodbye if u’re still with the girl.

 

*****

Nayeon lost sleep a year ago. She’d usually spend the night thinking about her old white care still under repair. Small drops of rain had started to fall. The warm vapors of the lukewarm ground made a fine fog rise while Nayeon waited standing in the middle of the road. The sun was still hiding on the horizon and only a thin blue layer bordered the sky. The itching need to smoke a cigarette was there, she clenched her fist hard enough to dig her nails inside her palm, the pain erasing this urge.

Suddenly, the sound of a roaring car was heard. The headlights lit up Nayeon's body as she found herself in the middle of the wet road. The boy getting out of the car had red hair, a scar on his arcade and seemed confused about being invited by the mechanic at dawn. He slammed the car door before approaching the former driver. His soles were crushing the puddles that had formed on the pavement.

“Well, what do you want from me ?” His eyes met Nayeon's slim figure. The women seemed to reflect, back facing the road when at last a first flight of birds could be seen, like a black net crossing the sky.

“I need your help for something Taeyong.”



A/N : I am so sorry for taking 3 whole months to update. I've been weirdly busy lately but thinking about writing everyday. Thank you for your patience, don't forget to upvote to support my work and to leave a comment to give me strenght ! :)