The Way We Were

Never The Same

"Alright i'm up, jeez!", A hand fumbled for the offending alarm clock, violently trying, and succeeding, in satisfactorily slapping it into silence, a groan came from beside the owner of the arm before the sleepy lump fell back asleep and grew silent once more. She swung her legs over the side of the bed and took a moment for herself to gain her bearings, rubbing her sleepy eyes as she slid forwards and her grateful feet met the warm comfort of her waiting slippers beside the bed. Glancing at the alarm clock which had done it's job in waking her but had done so a little too shrilly for her liking. The room was dark but she couldn't bare to wake himby opening the curtains to the morning light which was pressing against them in a fruitless attempt to see inside. Shuffling into the bathroom, it was far too dark and so with a grimace, she clicked the light on after closing the door and sat on the cold porcelain toilet, frowning as the artificial lighing stung her sleepy eyes. Once she had done her business and stood up at the sink, she fought the temptation to just go back to bed, opening her bleary eyes and staring at her swollen cheeks in dismay. Every morning was the same, but she really wouldn't have it any other way, it had been her parents forcing her to find someone that had landed her in this apartment, with this boyfriend, and this comfortable life, so at least was thankful for that. She must be thankful, otherwise what was the alternative for her?, a grubby little one bedroomed apartment on which she struggled to pay rent which was way too steep, with only herself as company?. Or maybe she wouldn't even be that lucky and it would be her on the street, asking for any and all spare change from the many unfriendly faces passing her by on their way to work. Shuddering at the thought, she washed her face, brushed her teeth and put on her makeup, today was a day just like any other and she realised whilst she had been stuck in that miserable daydream, her body had gone into automatic mode and she was already leaving the bathroom and passing the now empty bed.She hadn't heard him get up but there he was as she walked into the living room a few minutes later, a stark contrast to herself, she was fully dressed and ready for her shift at the office, he was fromhead to toe and was cradling a cup of coffee with a sleepy grin on his face.

"Good morning honey, maybe you can find some clothes soon and get on with your day before I finish work?, you know I love seeing you like this, I do really love seeing you like this but if the mailman knocks the door again or the old lady next door comes over, either i'll be bailing you out of jail for indecent exposure OR we'll be down at the hospital explaining away a heart attack to their relatives. Ok, i'm off, have a good day and find some underwear at least, ok? Love you.". She left quickly after stealing both a sip of his coffee and a squeeze of him, as the door shut behind her, she had a moment of wanting, why not go back and spend the day in bed with him after all?, but no, a doctor's surgery can't run all the admin itself and she liked the little break she got at work because it made their time together so much more passionate. Deciding it was better to take a taxi to work instead of driving in this distracted state, she called the number she had gotten from a colleague a few weeks ago and waited outside the apartment building for the 20 minutes it took for the nearest cab to arrive, the journey went by in a flash and she chatted idly to the driver up until they arrived and was almost sorry to see him drive away. The automatic doors opened as she approached, letting out a waft of disinfectant and chatter, it was unpleasant when you started working here but she had been at this surgery for 7 years and was used to it by now. As she walked in, she made sure her name badge was visible and greeted everyone she passed with a cheery smile and a hello, only stopping once she had located the coffee machine in the staff room. Waiting for her coffee to brew, she closed her eyes for a moment and sighed, her best friend walked in and gave her a sympathetic pat on the arm as she re-opened her eyes. The pair of them walked back through the corridor and parted when she had arrived at her office door and stepped inside, sitting down at her desk, she left the door open and sipped her too hot coffee before unravelling the neverending stream of digital paperwork for the day. Her job wasn't difficult but it was repetitive, the usual emails to do with basic things like pay increase requests, changes in shifts, vacation days. Mixed in sometimes with a call from higher up in regards to these, sometimes a missed appointment being logged would frustrate a doctor or nurse enough for them to grace her with their presence but today it seemed like the hours would be long and she could quite comfortably drink her coffee whilst it was hot without fear of interruption from staff or email alike.

When she got home at 7pm, she found he had managed to dress himself appropriately and had located his cologne, it was the one she liked but could never remember the name of, she could smell it from the moment the door opened and it instantly relaxed her. Dropping her coat and bag just inside the door andreplacing her shoes with her slippers as quickly as possible, she shffled with a little more enthusiasm towards the smell and wrapped her arms around him as she entered the bedroom.

"I think this one's busted, shame, it's pretty. oh well, let's go. I need a drink.", she heard scuffling feet as her eyes focused, the ground beneath her was damp from the night's downpour but it was sunny now and she had to blink to focus on the day before her eyes. The narrow alleyway she was sat at the end of was windy and it whistled around her as she got to her feet, the soft hissing her circuitry made as it worked at full capacity to get her limbs to work and to keep her mind clear was automatic and rhythmic as she found her feet. People passed by in a rush as she left the ally and stepped into the thoroughfare. I guess you could call it busy, but then again, there were so few organic beings left that it was a dribble of life, trudging through the sodden debris as if anyone had a job anymore or even a family who would benefit from the money a job garnered. She paused at a spidered glass shop window, wiping away the dirt that had accumulated on it's surface, her hand pausing as her eyes met the reflection in front of her. Oh she was beautiful of course, but there was no call for beauty in this wasteland once home to many wonders. If anyone had passed her back in the early part of this century then she would have been admired but seen as just another person, not a synthetic copy of a life so many had had and lost. She tried a smile and over the almost silent sound of her motherboard configuring the gesture a second before she made it, she could hear those same voices slurring behind her. They were getting closer and her heightened sense of smell picked up a mixture of alcohol and human waste, it was an all too familiar scent now, only eluded by the very wealthy who stood on pedestals in their high rise buildings overseeing their factories making a million copies of people who had been living breathing lifeforms and had the money behind them to be brought back with a shiny new skeleton of pliable metals and electronics where veins and arteries once were.

Pulling her hood up as she turned to walk briskly away, she didn't react to the men catcalling her and was thankful when she passed by someone she thought she knew. Getting in step with them was easy but the look they gave her was not, a frown attempted to stretch across the woman's artificial skin but the telltale wrinkles that should have been there never formed and she simply looked a little concerned before picking up speed and entering a nearby apartment building reserved for the rich elite and their service androids. It would have been nothing at all to keep up and enter the building too but she was slowing down and she scanned her torso for the reason, it took her a second to find the space under her blouse where a 4 inch hole resided, she probed it with her fingers and felt a spark of broken electrical current beneath her fingers. An intercom sounded within her head and a smooth male voice chimed in, "Soeul Android Recall and Repair Hospital, my name is Eric. We sensed you have a minor malfunction and advise you to visit the hospital for repairs immediately Miss Kim, model #KY1991221. A route has been sent to your optics, we hope to see you soon.". The connection fizzled to silence and she continued her journey, the woman completely out of her thoughts as she followed the yellow line on her optics. Arriving at the hospital a few moments later, she entered and sat in the waiting chair until her name and model number were called from the same inbuilt system that they had first made contact through. She had no need to get up, the chair she was on was like an old fashioned stair lift and it took her on a track into the nearest room to face a doctor who hid behind a surgical mask and cap, in these times, it was better to be safe than sorry. What felt like seconds later, her vision went temporarily black before she was once again in his arms. That cologne, that apartment, that comfortable life, it was all she had ever wanted and all she could never have.