SAHARA (JiBo)

Dystopia: The Tree of Language

*Nobody POV*

 

Another cheer-filled day starts at Dreamcatcher Orphanage. Children’s laughter and footsteps echo through the hallways, reaching the office of the main caregivers, Kim Bora and Kim Minji.

 

It’s not unusual for the kids to come knocking at their door early in the morning, not able to wait for them to come out and play with them. Today is no different, and soon Minji finds herself opening the door to the resident troublemakers, Yoohyeon and Siyeon. Siyeon is usually the one plotting their pranks, endlessly followed by her loyal companion, Yoohyeon. Being only one year apart in age, the 11 and 10 year old are best friends, treating each other as sisters. Siyeon likes to joke she’s a wolf and Yoohyeon is her pup. They take care of each other well.

 

‘Well, look who it is. Good morning, girls!’ Yoohyeon excitedly hugs Minji. ‘Mom! Can we have pancakes for breakfast today?’ Bora laughs from behind her desk, setting some papers down. ‘Of course! Are the other girls awake yet?’ Siyeon shakes her head. ‘We snuck out!’

 

Walking into the hallway, Bora takes Siyeon by the hand as Yoohyeon still has Minji in a tight hold. ‘Then let’s make breakfast together and surprise them?’ The girls excitedly nod and quickly follow their ‘moms’ to the kitchen downstairs.

 

Bora settles into explaining to the girls how to make pancake and waffle batter, as Minji slips away to check on the youngest in the orphanage, a sweet 5-year-old by the name of Gahyeon. She usually sleeps in the same room as Yoohyeon and Siyeon, or ends up sneaking into the younger’s room if Siyeon and Yoohyeon too much.

 

As expected, Gahyeon is curled up in the middle of Siyeon’s bed, holding one of her wolf plushies. Her little pink fox pyjamas stick out from under the blanket cutely. Pleased that she’s still sound asleep, Minji returns to the kitchen. Handong and Yubin had a tendency of oversleeping anyway and they didn’t have any school activities today so they can rest for now.

 

‘What happened here?’ The table is set with some of the pancakes Bora is still cooking, while Yoohyeon and Siyeon arrange the rest of the breakfast and cutlery neatly. ‘We tried helping Mommy with the pancakes but I dropped some.’ Siyeon giggles as Yoohyeon pouts cutely. She’s always been the clumsy one. Minji pats their heads and chuckles. ‘Better luck next time, kids. Practice makes perfect.’ This quickly lifts their mood as they go around placing cups on the table too.

 

‘How’s Gahyeon?’ Minji hums in response, moving around Bora as she’s done so many times before, helping her make waffles. ‘Still sound asleep. I assume Dongie and Yubin are still sleeping too.’ Bora smiles. ‘Those 2 are usually so quiet anyway, you wouldn’t know unless you barge in there.’ The adults in the room laugh easily together, comfortable together as they’ve been best friends since they were very young. Taking over this small orphanage was something they decided on together after graduating college. Bora has a nursing degree and a passion for cooking, where as Minji has a teaching degree and has always loved children.

 

Together they make a great team, and hold this house together to make a home for the girls under their care.


 

***

 

Red sand stretches endlessly

 

After a long day of playing together, it’s time for the kids to get to bed. Gahyeon had fallen asleep in Bora’s arms an hour ago already and so she decided to let her sleep in Handong and Yubin’s room as they wouldn’t disturb her. Siyeon and Yoohyeon were enjoying their final half hour of gaming of the day before they have to retreat to their room.

 

‘I’ll go read Yubin and Handong their bedtime story. Remember girls, only 30 minutes left, then it’s time to wash up and get ready for bed.’ The girls pout, looking over to Bora. ‘Can’t we stay up a bit longer tonight? We almost finished the game! And we already did all our homework yesterday!’ Bora can only roll her eyes as she’s heard similar pleas much too often.

 

‘You know the rules, girls. You can finish your game tomorrow.’ Sighing, Bora turns around, heading up the stairs to the youngest’s bedroom.

 

Minji kept quiet the whole time, trying to ignore the girls. She knows she’s the weaker one of the 2 caregivers as she easily gives in to the girls’ requests and compromises with them at the slightest pout or whine. It doesn’t help that she has a weak spot for Yoohyeon’s puppy eyes.

 

‘MOM! Can we please pretty please stay up a bit longer? Just an hour so we can finish the game!’ The 2 girls jump over the couch to cling to Minji, Yoohyeon’s eyes already sparkling and Siyeon trembling her bottom lip.

 

‘Girls, you heard Bora. You know the rules.’ The girls don’t give up, nagging at Minji more and more, Siyeon even allowing her eyes to well up with tears. Minji closes her eyes and leans her head back against the couch. Yoohyeon sneakily smirks, they got her now.

 

‘Only 1 hour and you girls will have to revise all your homework tomorrow again!’ Cheering erupts above her and Minji opens her eyes just in time to be met with a big hug from both girls. ‘Thanks mom, you’re the best!’ Bora enters the room, having overheard Minji allowing the girls to play longer. ‘I see you’ve decided without me.’ Huffing, she retreats, moving back upstairs to her own room.

 

The girls barely register this happening as they’re too invested in the game, but Minji heard. She also hears her best friend slam her bedroom door upstairs. Getting up from the couch, she sighs, muttering under her breath. ‘They’re getting older, they’re allowed some fun too…’

 

Soon, an infinitely cold dead end

 

*Bora POV*

 

I can’t believe she did this again. It seems like every time I manage to instill a new rule for the girls to follow, Minji just disregards it and gives them their way regardless. Of course, I want them to have their freedom too but the girls really need a basic set of rules, especially Yoohyeon and Siyeon. Otherwise, they won’t get around to studying or learning how to be more organized.

 

It makes me always come off as the bad guy. I’m not the one they go to when they want something fun, unless it’s food. I’ll always be the one they come to for more practical matters.

 

Sighing, I settle behind the desk in my room, looking through the mail and paperwork I still have to finish for Yooh and Siyeon’s upcoming school trips. I’m also always the one to deal with the logistics of things, while Minji will usually be the one to drive them to school and help them socialise better with kids their age. I can’t even remember the last time any of the girls asked me to take them out to the park alone, instead of with Minji. Gahyeon is the only one that still clings to me so much as she’s the youngest.

 

Shaking my head, I turn off my desk lamp, getting up to take a shower and do my final rounds before bed.

 

*Minji POV*

 

What’s so bad about having the kids stay up late just this once? Shaking my head, I guide the kids to their bedroom. They managed to finish their game even though their eyes are almost closing now as they hold my hands.

 

‘Thanks, Mom. I promise I’ll keep up with my homework well!’ I smile, softly patting Yoohyeon’s head. Turning to Siyeon, I lift my eyebrow, crossing my arms. ‘What about you, little troublemaker?’ Blushing, she waddles to the bathroom. ‘Yeh, I’ll do mine too.’ Pleased with the confirmation that they remember our deal, I fluff up their pillows and get their beds ready for them.

 

Siyeon returns from the bathroom first, getting into her bed and frowning at me. ‘What’s wrong, little one?’ Pouting, she slides under her blanket. ‘Mommy usually gives me a hug before bed.’ I try not to let my calm expression falter, gently patting Siyeon’s head. ‘I’m sure she’ll still pass by in a bit. She must be busy with something.’ Watching Siyeon sadly pout breaks my heart. The girls are so used to Bora reading them a bedtime story excitedly or giving them a tight hug before bed. I usually just tuck them in and make sure they’ve cleaned themselves up before sleep.

 

Turning, I watch as Yoohyeon waddles up to me. ‘Can you tuck me in tonight, Mom?’ Smiling, I walk to her side of the room with her and tuck her into her bed, nice and snuggly covered by her blanket. ‘There you go, sweetie. Are you comfy?’ Yoohyeon nods tiredly, looking absolutely adorable. Placing a kiss on her forehead, I quietly move back towards the door, whispering a soft goodnight to the girls before turning off the lights and closing the door.

 

Making my way to my bedroom, I stop for a moment at the younger’s bedroom. Peeking in, Handong and Yubin are already sleeping soundly in their beds, Gahyeon cuddled up against Handong sweetly. I can’t help but smile at the sight and close the door again gently, not wanting to disturb them.

 

I hope Bora doesn’t forget to check on the girls. Siyeon isn’t likely to fall asleep anytime soon without having seen her. Frowning, I enter my room. It’s one of those things that only Bora seems to be able to handle. Whenever the kids act rowdy or can’t sleep, she just instantly seems to know what to do to calm them down. She’s the voice of reason to them. They may like playing with me more, but they don’t usually come to me with serious matters except to help them with homework.

I sigh, getting myself ready for bed. I hope Bora gets over this soon.

 

Every moment, growing further away

My way

 

*Nobody POV*

 

The thirst of this barren land

My lips drying up beyond thirst

 

The days after that become more and more tense. Even the kids start noticing their guardians’ odd behaviour.

 

Bora mainly wakes up earliest, preparing breakfast for the kids and waking them up for school. By the time they’re ready, Bora is in the office, leaving Minji to ensure the kids finish their breakfast so they can leave on time. Bora then has the kitchen and breakfast table cleaned by the time Minji returns.

 

They each spend their time in their own rooms and avoid each other, giving each other annoyed glances occasionally.

 

One day, Siyeon even caught them fighting when they did end up in the same room together.

 

[Siyeonie flashback]

 

I found a cool caterpillar outside and wanted to show mom! I know Mommy has a fear for bugs but Mom is usually okay with it. I put it on a leaf and walk inside with it, careful to not drop it.

 

I hear them in the kitchen and excitedly walk up. But then their voices become louder. Mom is yelling at Mommy.

 

‘How do you think I feel when every time the kids are hurting about something, they ask me where you are?! I want to help them but they trust you more!’ I hide behind the corner, peeking around. Mommy looks at the floor, there are tears coming from her eyes.

 

‘Minji, this is exactly what the problem is. They only come to me about serious matters. Anytime they want to have fun, it’s all about ‘mom’ and I’m left out of the loop until one of them gets hurt!’ Mom angrily throws her towel to the side.

 

I flinch, hoping they don’t hear me. I don’t like seeing them fight. Looking down, I walk away with my little friend.

 

‘I’m sorry, maybe next time, buddy.’ I go into the garden and show him to Yoohyeon. She has a book with bugs and we try to figure out which one it is. Mom walks out to call us for dinner. Mommy doesn’t join us again. I love her cooking but I miss her at the table…

 

Pack all of that in reality

An oasis which I can’t find

A single oasis

 

[Siyeonie flashback end]

 

Bora becomes more and more uneasy as the days go on. She hasn’t properly talked to Minji lately. Any time they try, they end up yelling at each other, it’s very draining. Siyeon even came to her the other day to ask if they were angry with each other. Bora had to tell her they were just having a small argument, lying to one of her favourite kids in the house.

 

Yoohyeon was harder to fool. Despite her clumsy look, she was potentially the smartest girl in the house. Minji notes that yet again when she’s helping her dry some artwork for an assignment.

 

‘Mom, why are you and Mommy fighting? I read it’s not healthy to avoid each other.’ Minji’s eyes nearly pop out of her sockets, choking on her own saliva.

 

The little girl continues looking at her artwork as if she hadn’t said anything at all. For a moment, Minji thinks it was just her imagination, until Yoohyeon turns to her, reaching up with her small hand and patting her cheek. ‘It’s okay, Mom. We’re just worried about you.’

 

Minji blinks, feeling tears well up. She’s worried about the current state of her and Bora’s friendship as well. And now it appears it’s affecting the kids too. Yoohyeon smiles at her dried artwork, carefully tucking it away in her backpack, ready for school. ‘Can I go play outside?’ Minji absentmindedly nods. Her thoughts are a mess in her head, bouncing off the inside of her skull, giving her a headache.

 

Sitting alone in the living room, she can’t help but wonder out loud.

 

‘Maybe it is my fault?’

 

Nobody has a fixed path

Even if there are obstacles in front of me (I know)

Understand understand

 

***

 

Bora is sitting at her desk, doing paperwork when Handong comes knocking at her door. ‘Mommy?’ Bora smiles at her soft voice, getting up to open the door. ‘Hey, sweetie. What’s up?’ Shyly, she looks at the floor, avoiding Bora’s eyes. Softening, Bora takes her hand and guides her to her bed. Setting the kid on it, she kneels in front of her. ‘Do you need me for something, Dongie?’

 

Handong mumbles under her breath, confusing Bora. Not wanting to push the young girl too much, she pats her knees. ‘I couldn’t quite understand there. Sorry, sweetie. Could you repeat that for me?’

 

Hold onto the truth and fight

 

Looking up, Handong meets Bora’s eyes. She looks distraught, worrying Bora. Sniffling, Handong finally speaks up. ‘Are you and Mom going to leave us?’ Widening her eyes, Bora quickly pulls the sad child into a tight hug, her own eyes threatening to spill with tears. ‘Sweetie, we could never! What makes you think that?’

 

Patting her head gently, Bora’s heart breaks at the kid’s next words. ‘Signie and Yooh said mommies that fight sometimes leave their kids… Like how our mommies and daddies left us before we came here…’

 

I have to go forward, started war

The moon fills up the moon fills up

 

*Siyeon POV*

 

‘Okay, we need to stop mommies from fighting, right?’ Yoohyeon nods firmly. Handong and Yubin stare at the floor, nodding slightly while Gahyeon just pouts in my arms.

 

‘I don’t know why they’re fighting, but we don’t want to lose them! We’re family!’ They all agree with me. Even Gahyeon cracks a soft smile. She’s so cute. I look to Yoohyeon. ‘We have a plan. But we need to work together well!’ Yubin raises an eyebrow at me. ‘What do we have to do?’

 

I chuckle, happy they’re all on board, we need this to work. I don’t want to lose more parents. Not again.

 

SAHARA

Ra-ra-ra

Ra-ra-ra

Change everything quickly

A rocking ambition

SAHARA

Ra-ra-ra

Ra-ra-ra

Pray pray towards the sky which cannot be covered

SAHARA

 

*Nobody POV*

 

The kids sit in a circle in the garden. Bora was out doing groceries and Minji is busy in the kitchen preparing their afternoon snack. It’s the perfect moment for them to put their plan into effect.

 

‘Yubin and Dongie, you remember your part, right?’ Siyeon smiles at the younger ones’ nodding heads. They may be quiet kids but they’re very clever. Yoohyeon stands next to her, holding Gahyeon’s hand. As Yubin and Handong head off to prepare their part of the plan, the eldest kids kneel in front of Gahyeon.

 

‘Gahyeonie, when we call Mom, can you cry and pout? And don’t tell her what’s wrong, ok?’ Gahyeon frowns for a moment but smiles softly, nodding her little head. Her pigtails fly around cutely, making Siyeon and Yoohyeon giggle at the sight. They love their youngest sister.

 

‘Yooh, let’s do this.’ With a firm nod, Siyeon’s first in command salutes and heads off, leaving Gahyeon with Siyeon in the garden.

 

Siyeon walks over to the swing set, setting Gahyeon on the floor and covering part of her clothes with some mud, making it look like she just fell off. Smiling, she kisses her on the head. Yoohyeon stands off to the side with her football, ready to go.

 

Nodding, Handong and Yubin stand ready at the backdoor. ‘Let’s do this.’ Siyeon nods at Yoohyeon, who audibly tries to kick her football into the swing set for added effect.

 

With the wind on the front

start a fire and charge on

 

Minji startles as she’s finishing the final touches on the children’s’ afternoon snacks. A loud bang is heard, followed by a wail and crying. Setting down the knife in her hands, she turns to find Yubin and Handong rushing into the kitchen, seemingly panicked.

 

‘MOM! YOOH HURT GAHYEON!’ Confused at the wording, Minji wastes no time in following the kids outside, gasping at the sight. Yoohyeon stands by the swing set, her football in her hands, tears staining her cheeks as she hovers over a crying Gahyeon in the mud. Siyeon is kneeled by the youngest, wiping the tears off her cheeks and trying to calm her down.

 

Rushing over, Minji kneels next to them. ‘What happened?’ She lays a hand on Siyeon’s shoulder, moving her so she can inspect Gahyeon. Besides some mud, she seems okay physically, she must’ve gotten scared, Minji concludes. Siyeon sighs softly.

 

‘I was pushing Gahyeon on the swing and Yooh was playing football. She accidentally hit her with the ball and she fell off the swing.’ Yoohyeon plays her part well, sobbing as Siyeon explains the situation. ‘I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to hurt Gahyeonie!’

 

Draw as I will

(Dream the dream I hope

For my perfect dream)

 

Picking up Gahyeon, Minji nods to the kids. ‘Let’s all get inside first, okay?’ Following her inside, Siyeon sneakily fistbumps Yoohyeon, who wipes at her fake tears with a sneaky smile. Gahyeon continues wailing as she promised her older sisters she would and Yubin and Handong play their part of being shocked and worried well.

 

Once in the kitchen, Gahyeon is sat at the table and Minji grabs a cloth to wipe the mud off of her. ‘It’s okay, sweetie. You’re okay.’ As she approaches Gahyeon again, she cries harder, wiping at her eyes. Siyeon frowns at Yoohyeon, faking anger. ‘I told you to wait until we were done at the swing!’ Yoohyeon sobs and wipes at her eyes, dropping her ball. ‘I said I’m sorry!’ Yubin and Handong pull the 2 apart as Siyeon fake-pushes Yoohyeon.

 

Minji’s eyes widen at the sudden riot starting in the kitchen. ‘Kids, calm down!’ They pretend not to hear her, continuing their bickering as Gahyeon’s voice towers over them with her cries.

 

Frustrated, Minji fumbles around in her pockets for her phone, ready to call Bora. She knows she can’t do this alone.

 

With the wind trying to teach me

and what you will gain by toppling me

 

***

 

Bora is carefully puzzling over how to best put her groceries into the back of their shared car when her phone rings. Looking at the screen briefly, she frowns. Why would Minji be calling her, they haven’t properly talked in weeks. Worried something happened to the kids, she quickly picks up, one hand still putting groceries in her car.

 

‘Hello?’ Her eyes widen as she’s met with wailing and screaming on the other side of the phone. Her motherly instincts kick in, one arm quickly throwing everything in the car as she waits for Minji to explain.

 

‘Gahyeon fell off the swing because of Yoohyeon hitting her with her football and now the kids are fighting. I need you, please come back quick.’

 

Part of Bora’s heart swells at the words. ‘I’m on my way. Try to separate the kids and hold Gahyeon in your arms, that helps calm her. Sing to her if you can.’

 

She hangs up with that, quickly returning the cart and rushing home in record time.

 

All of that hold back (Hold back)

It’s plainly visible, yet, why do you close your eyes like that

 

Rushing through the door, she decides to take the groceries inside later. Minji is in the living room, holding Gahyeon and softly humming to her as she continues crying. Siyeon and Yoohyeon are sitting apart, Yubin and Handong acting as a barrier.

 

Gahyeon instantly reaches for Bora as she comes in, crying louder again. ‘Mommy!’ Quickly taking her from Minji, she hugs the young girl tightly, whispering softly in her ear, effectively calming her down. Siyeon and Yoohyeon share a glance.

 

Even though the fierce wind scratches me

If I have the strength to stay sure

I can get through everything

Wah ah ah ah

 

***

 

Minji smiles as she stands at the entrance to Bora’s room. Bora is tucking Gahyeon into bed, singing to her softly. The small girl smiles up at her lazily, easily falling asleep to the sound of her voice.

 

Getting up, Bora makes eye contact with Minji, walking out of the room with her and closing the door behind her. They walk to the kitchen where Minji had already prepared the both of them some coffee after ensuring the other girls were in their respective rooms with their afternoon snacks, calming down after the events of earlier.

 

‘You know, I’ve always envied the relationship you have with Gahyeon. You always know what to do to calm her down.’ Bora blushes, sipping her coffee. It seems her best friend hasn’t forgotten she prefers hers with plenty of sugar and milk. Minji would always to just drink milk instead.

 

‘I could say the same about you and Yoohyeon. You managed to get her to apologise and calm down so quickly. She tends to outsmart me usually.’ Chuckling, the adults settle into a comfortable silence.

 

‘Minji, I’m sorry for overreacting the past weeks. I think we each have our specialities in this household and should support each other in that.’ Minji shakes her head. ‘I’m sorry too, Bora. I shouldn’t undermine your authority. I do appreciate all the rules you set in place for the kids. I think I’m a bit too lenient.’

 

Smiling, they talk things through, hugging it out and agreeing to support each other fully and communicate better in the future, for their own sake and the kids’.

 

Behind the corner, the kids all fistbump and cheer, happy that their plan worked. Bora raises an eyebrow, checking behind the corner. ‘What’s this gathering?’ Blushing, Siyeon and Yoohyeon hug her tightly, explaining their plan.

 

‘You’re not angry at us, right?’ They shake their head, hugging the kids tightly. Gahyeon sleepily holds Bora’s hand. ‘I’m glad you guys made us realise a few things.’

 

Yubin smiles softly. ‘Like what, mom?’ Minji pats her head gently, looking over at Bora and back to their kids.

 

‘No matter what, we can get through anything together. Because we’re family.’

 

That evening, they watch a movie together in the living room, enjoying each other’s company and even building a pillow fort to the youngest request.

 

SAHARA

Ra-ra-ra

Ra-ra-ra

Change everything quickly

A rocking ambition

SAHARA

Ra-ra-ra

Ra-ra-ra

Pray pray towards the sky which cannot be covered

SAHARA

 
 
 
-----------------------------------------
Author's note:
 
Finally another one-shot! Yaay!
This time again with help from my friend, Ash! (@daeguseaofblood on twt)
 
Hope you enjoyed! Stay tuned!
Have a good day/night! :3 Uploading this on my bday so it's my bday gift to you! xD