Jazz Bar

Dystopia: The Tree of Language

*Narrator POV*

It’s another quiet evening at the local jazz bar. Their head bartender, Minji, is busy cleaning her equipment and setting up before the first customers trickle in.

She briefly discusses with the waitresses and technical staff how tonight’s sets will go, before checking her phone. Their main act, Siyeon, hasn’t answered her since this afternoon.

Always being one to worry easily over her friends, a frown forms on her face. 

“Ya! Who’s making you frown!” The unmistakeably loud voice of her girlfriend, Yoohyeon, sounds through the bar. “WHO DO I HAVE TO BEAT UP?”

Instantly, her frown is replaced by a soft smile. “Babe, we both know you wouldn’t be able to fight a fly if it came down to it.” Pouting cutely, Yoohyeon leans over the bar, chin in her hands. “I still want to know why you looked so sad there.” Locking her phone and walking up to her girlfriend, she squeezes her cheeks. 

“Siyeon just hasn’t answered me yet, but it’s probably fine.”

Minji chuckles as she sees her girlfriend’s brain going into overdrive. She gets this very specific and very endearing look in her eyes when she’s overthinking something. Before she can mention it, Yoohyeon’s eyes light up and sparkle at her.

“I’VE GOT IT! OMG, WHY HAVEN’T I THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE!” Yoohyeon jumps up and grabs her phone, quickly typing away on it. Returning to her bartender duties, she waits for Yoohyeon to settle down before asking what she’s up to.

“I have a plan to make Siyeon feel better! Haven’t you noticed she only sings sad songs lately?” Minji looks up in thought. She figured it was just part of Siyeon’s eternal tortured soul vibe she had going on. “I guess? What’s this plan of yours, though?” Yoohyeon simply smirks and leans over to kiss Minji’s cheek before rushing off.

“You’ll see! I’ll be back tonight!’ 

With a shake of her head, Minji starts up the cash register and flips the sign by the entrance to ‘open’. She hopes her girlfriend doesn’t get herself into trouble, again.

 

*Minji POV*

Frowning as I serve another customer, my eyes keep shifting to my phone and the back entrance. The 2nd set has just finished and tonight, Siyeon is supposed to go 4th and last as the closer. It’s not like her to be this late.

I turn to grab my phone and attempt to call her one last time when I hear the door open. Siyeon shuffles in, staring at the floor. She’s entirely dressed in black, bangs covering her eyes. I make my way to the artist’s room, following her.

Once inside, I tap her on the back to get her attention. Siyeon looks at me blankly and takes off her headphones. What sounds like ‘In the end’ by Linkin Park is softly playing from them. It seems so far away now, the days I’d catch her cutely dancing and singing along to Red Velvet’s Umpah Umpah instead.

Now, as she blankly looks at me, shoulders hunched, my heart aches for her. What happened to my dear friend and our energetic performer?

“Siyeon, are you okay?” It takes her a few seconds to reply, but when she does, her voice falters. With trembling lips, she looks up at me. “I don’t think so.”

Giving her a moment to settle in the couch and calm down, I gently place an arm around her shoulders. “What’s going on? Did something happen?” Her head shakes, moving her bangs out of her eyes slightly. 

“That’s the problem. Nothing happens.” I squeeze her shoulder, urging her to continue. “When you gave me the opportunity to work here, I was ecstatic! Someone finally noticed me! I thought it’d be a boost for me in the industry. But it’s been months now, Minji, and I’m not even attracting any new customers anymore.” 

So that’s what’s been bothering her. Pulling her into a tight hug, I try to calm her thoughts. “You are doing great right now, Siyeon-ah. It may take time, but you will get noticed again. I can ask around and see if you can play some gigs at a colleague’s bar if that’d make you feel better? I know your talent belongs out there for the world to see, but I also can’t help but want to keep you here. If it weren’t for you, I’m sure this place would’ve had to close months ago.”

Tearing up, Siyeon cries into my shoulder. I let her. I hope she gets through this slump, she deserves to smile every day and enjoy singing to the fullest again.

 

*Narrator POV*

Siyeon settles on her designated bar stool on the small podium set up for their performances. Many regulars have already ordered a drink and settled to enjoy the show by their favourite performer. It’s no secret that most of the current customers come solely for Siyeon’s soothing yet powerful voice, accompanied by a high-quality drink served to them by Minji.

Their technician finishes setting up her microphone and the soft red spotlights that Siyeon requested for her set. She feels a bit better after airing out her thoughts to Minji but still hopes she can find her passion for singing back in new ways.

Minji finishes cleaning her glasses and leans against her counter, ready to listen to Siyeon’s set. She knows hardly anyone orders drinks during her performance anyway, in favour of drowning in her vocals instead. 

Taking in a deep breath, Siyeon nods to the technician to start the backing-track for her. As soft piano floods the room, everyone’s eyes are fixated on the singer. Siyeon herself has her eyes closed for the first verse, fully immersed in the song. 

Minji frowns as she watches 2 people sneak in from the entrance. One of them, lanky and clumsy, waddles over to her bar station. She quickly recognises her as her girlfriend, who is currently sneaking behind the bar to pull Minji into a tight hug. Smiling brightly, the pair share a sweet kiss.

Yoohyeon whispers into her ear softly. “Glad we didn’t miss her performance.” Minji turns to look at the stranger that had entered with her. “Who did you bring along?” Yoohyeon smirks and looks over at the stage. “A colleague.” Confused at her cryptic speech, Minji opts for simply holding her girlfriend and listening to her friend perform instead. It’s hard to understand Yoohyeon’s ways and the bartender has learned it’s easier to wait for her oversized puppy to come to her and explain herself than to ask for an explanation.

 

*Siyeon POV*

Opening my eyes, I notice someone moving through the crowd. Her long dark hair covers her face as she tries to quietly move to a free table in the back of the bar. As I continue singing, my eyes quickly find their way to the bar where Minji is currently cuddling her girlfriend, Yoohyeon. 

It stirs something in my heart, seeing her so happy with Yoohyeon. They make a great pair. Blinking away, I focus back on my audience. 

 

Through the descending red light

I feel your eyes ah

 

Sensing an intense gaze, my eyes quickly find those of the stranger that entered a bit ago. Her eyes are intense, burning onto me. Breathing deeply, I try not to let her distract me as I go into the freestyle adlib part of the song.

 

Endlessly entranced by my humming

You give me sweet looks

 

Her gaze seems to only intensify as I reach the of the song, closing my eyes to gently run up to a high note. Opening my eyes slowly, her head is tilted, a soft smile on her lips. Hiding behind the mic, I let my bangs cover my eyes, out of breath from a simple look from this stranger. My heart is beating fast and my face feels like it’s burning up. 

Accepting the applause, I take a small bow and lift my head, hoping to see the stranger’s reaction again. 

She’s gone. I bite my lip, mood lowering again. Did she not like it? She seemed so interested in my set, though? As my mind races over possibilities, I make my way back to the artist room, collecting my things.

“Siyeon, you did great up there! But you always do!” Yoohyeon slaps me on the back, showing affection in her own clumsy way. “Thanks, Yoo. Can you tell Minji I’ll be leaving? I’m feeling a bit hot. I’ll message her tomorrow before my set.” Yoohyeon nods with a lazy smile on her lips, stepping out of the way so I can leave. I put on my headphones and quickly hit shuffle, not paying attention to the playlist.

I blush as the first song to play is, of course, Heart Attack by Loona’s Chuu. I suppose it does fit my current state of mind. Softly humming along, I make my way home, in need of a long shower. Maybe it’s time to have another look at renewing my set.


 

*Bora POV*

Smiling to myself, I can’t help but hum the song that artist sang last night at the jazz bar. She has a great voice, smooth but powerful and full of emotion. 

Organising some of the new application forms, I can’t help but think of last night. Our eyes met and I couldn’t stop staring. It was exhilarating.

Getting up, I take my stack of papers and walk over to my cabinet to file them away. I can’t relish in the fact that I cleared my paperwork early for long because suddenly my office door is being broken down. 

Of course, it’s by none other than my insane colleague and friend, Yoohyeon. 

“BORA, WASSUP!” I groan and slap her up the back of her head. “What did I say about barging in like that?! What if I’m in the middle of an interview?” Yoohyeon merely shrugs at me smugly before draping herself over my desk chair. 

“Your secretary would’ve told me if you had company. Anyway, I’m done with my classes for today so I decided to visit my bestest friend, Bora!”

I pinch the bridge of my nose, taking deep breaths. As sweet as she is, Yoohyeon is also the equivalent of an oversized puppy on 10 cans of Redbull half the time.

“What if I’m not done with work yet, did you think about that?” Another shrug as she plays with one of the elephant statues on my desk.

“Be careful with those!” Rushing over, I quickly grab it out of her hands before she can break it. “Why are you really here, Yoo.” I sigh in relief as she finally gets out of my desk chair and rests on the edge of my desk instead. I quickly take my rightful place at the desk and cross my legs, looking up at the annoying giant on my desk.

“I’m here to see how you felt about last night, at the bar?” She smiles at me sweetly, her posture straightening. Ah, so she’s here for business.

“Well, as you said, indeed she has very unique vocals. She is very stable and seems to emotionally invest in her singing. All, good traits, of course.” I fiddle with a pen on my desk as Yoohyeon nods her head. 

“I think so too! I honestly don’t know why I never asked you to drop by before. She could be a real asset to the company.” I nod, recalling last night. Turning my head, I pretend to fill some forms on my computer as I feel my cheeks and ears heat up. 

“I think she has amazing potential and there’s not much more I can teach her. She’d be ready to throw into the studio, don’t you think?” Smiling, I nod again, not trusting my voice. It’d be nice to see Siyeon again. Her eyes were so deep, like they held the secrets of the universe in them, as they stared back into mine. I wished I could’ve seen her smile, she seemed solemn as she sat under the red lighting of the spotlights. I almost zone out as I feel a smack on my arm.

“YA, KIM BORA! Are you even listening to me?” Turning, I push Yoohyeon off of my desk. “Don’t yell!” As she gets back up, she leans in close over me, pouting in thought. “Yoohyeon, what do y-”

“OMG, YOU LIKE SIYEON!” I smack her away from me and cover my ears. “Sheesh, you’re loud!” Hiding my face behind my hands, Yoohyeon’s arms snake around my shoulders, pulling me into a back hug. 

“I can’t believe someone finally broke through THE Kim Bora’s walls.” 

Groaning, I push her off again. I know she won’t let it go, though. “Well, lucky for you, I think she’s single. She’s quite the loner. All you have to do is work that Bora charm of yours!” 

She goes on as I try to ignore her rambling. She means well but she’s such a handful when she gets like this. I do hear her mentioning something about Siyeon being a daily performer at the bar, though. That’s interesting.

 

*Narrator POV*

The following evenings, Siyeon feels lighter. Especially as she keeps meeting familiar eyes in the crowd. The mysterious girl comes in for Siyeon’s set and leaves during the applause. It’s frustrating to Siyeon because she never has the chance to approach the girl this way.

Tonight is no different, as she sets up, she notices her favourite stranger sneaking in and taking her usual seat at the very back of the bar.

 

Did you slip in through open doors and sit down

 

Making eye-contact once again, Siyeon starts her performance. Bora’s eyes never once leave the artist’s. A soft blush on both girls’ cheeks.

 

Just to look at me like that every day


 

* * *

 

As Siyeon reaches the pre-chorus, a familiar figure sneaks into the bar in a hurry. Bora had gotten herself stuck in traffic after a meeting lasted longer than expected. She hastily rushes to her seats and meets Siyeon’s nervous eyes.

Bora smiles at her then, causing Siyeon’s breath to momentarily hitch. Even with windswept hair and a sheen of sweat on her forehead from probably running into the bar, the stranger looks beautiful to her. 

 

When our two eyes meet I want to stop singing

And draw closer to whisper oh nah


* * *

It’s been a tough day for Siyeon, she feels like she’s been overusing her voice while trying to practice new songs to impress her favourite stranger at the bar. Minji warns her to stay home and simply rest for a night so her voice can recover, but Siyeon can’t stop herself from wanting to see the stranger again.

As she sings through the first verse, she watches a concerned frown form on Bora’s face. Her mood drops as Bora gets up and moves to the bar, halfway through Siyeon’s set.

Unbeknownst to her, Bora requests for Minji to make her a specific ginger-lemon based tea to soothe . Bora begs Minji to not tell Siyeon her name and slips her a few bills to cover the ingredients for the drink. Chuckling, Minji watches as Bora disappears and Siyeon shuffles over to the bar sadly after her set.

“Did dream girl disappear on you again?” Siyeon nods sadly. “She didn’t even watch the whole set this time.” Minji sets the requested tea in front of Siyeon with a soft smile. The singer’s eyes widen in confusion. “What’s this?”

Minji shrugs as she continues cleaning glasses and preparing other drinks. “A certain stranger noticed your struggle with your voice tonight and requested a special drink to soothe your throat and get you back in shape.” With a wink, Minji turns to serve her customers.

Siyeon looks down at the drink, wrapping her hands around the glass and relishing its heat. 

 

I feel I love you

 

Taking a sip gently, she can’t help but smile as the sweet drink soothes and warms . Minji watches her light up as she cherishes the drink in her hands.

 

Oh I love you

Oh I like you

Do I know you? Oh ah


 

*Yoohyeon POV*

I skip back to the couch with a bowl of popcorn as Minji scrolls through the TV channels. I love when she stays over, it feels so domestic.

“So how was your evening at the bar, babe?” Minji chuckles. “Siyeon is still hung up over her mystery lady. Though mystery lady actually made a move for once.” I place the bowl on my coffee table and hang on her arm. I haven’t been able to visit the bar due to new students the past weeks but Minji kept me updated on Siyeon’s mystery lady.

“OMG, what happened?” Minji turns to me with a big smile. I can’t help but lean in and kiss her before letting her speak. 

“She noticed Siyeon’s voice wasn’t in the best condition so halfway through her set, she walked up to me and gave me a recipe for a ginger-lemon tea and paid me to make it and give it to Siyeon. And then she just left.” 

I frown in thought. “Wait, ginger-lemon tea? With lemon zest on top and a slice of lemon and ginger in the glass?” Minji nods at me in confusion. “Yeh? How did you know?” I get up and grab my phone. “Did the lady look like this?” Minji looks at the picture of Bora and me on my phone. Her eyes widen. 

“Yeh! Wait, you know mystery lady?” I nod and sit back down. “That little . Her name is Bora, my friend from college that I ended up working with at the same company?” She nods in recognition. “Yeh, you brought her to the bar recently, right? But she left before you could introduce her to me properly?” I nod and smile at Minji widely. 

She immediately sits up and raises her eyebrows. “I know that look, what are you planning now?” I merely chuckle and snuggle into her side. 

“We’re going to get those 2 useless lesbians together, of course.” I feel her shake her head and reach for the popcorn bowl. 

“Can we first watch Tangled, though?” I nod excitedly. “Only if I get to sing Finn’s lines!” She agrees and we quickly get immersed in the world of Rapunzel.

 

I think I love you (Love you)

Oh I love you (Love you)

Oh I like you (Like you)

Maybe you’ll feel it, too


 

*Narrator POV*

Needless to say, Yoohyeon thought she had the perfect plan. Currently, she’s dragging Bora out of their company building for an impromptu lunch. At the same time, she’s texting Minji to make sure she gets Siyeon to the right restaurant.

Minji chuckles as she receives multiple texts from her overly excited girlfriend. She’s walking with Siyeon as the restaurant is close by. 

“I appreciate it, but you really don’t have to take me out for lunch, Minji.” She shakes her head and playfully pushes the singer. “What kind of absurd talk is that? Of course, I’m taking my dear friend out for lunch. And don’t worry, we can just discuss your set there and take our time before tonight’s shift.” Siyeon smiles at her, glad her friend is so caring and thoughtful.

The 2 enter the restaurant, Minji looking around for her tall girlfriend. 

Meanwhile, Yoohyeon is seated at a table near the back with Bora, who’s looking through the menu. “I really don’t understand why we couldn’t just eat at the company restaurant, Yoo.” Sighing and rolling her eyes, she pulls out her phone. “I told you, I wanted to change it up! We’re already holed up in that building too often!” 

Bora shrugs and continues browsing her options. Yoohyeon texts Minji to walk towards the back of the restaurant.

Doing as she’s told, she guides Siyeon to the back of the restaurant, where they catch Yoohyeon’s eyes. She waves at them stupidly, Bora’s back still facing them. 

In a much too loud and exaggerated voice, Yoohyeon greets her girlfriend. “Babe! Fancy seeing you here! What a coincidence!” Minji facepalms and shuffles closer to the table. “Indeed, love.” 

Bora frowns at the interaction and looks behind her, first meeting eyes with Minji and greeting her briefly, before her attention is entirely captivated by the dark-haired singer behind her stupid friend’s girlfriend.

 

Even for the smallest movements

I can’t help but respond

 

Siyeon freezes as well, meeting Bora’s surprised gaze. Yoohyeon quickly gets up and helps Minji guide Siyeon to sit across from Bora. “Wow, have you guys met? Looks like it. Siyeon, meet Bora, Bora this is Siyeon. Oh wow, I have to go to the bathroom, will you come with me, babe? Of course, you will! K, bye!”

And with that chaotic waterfall of words, Yoohyeon drags Minji off to hide further in the restaurant and keep an eye on their 2 friends.

 

Baby you know it (Know it)

Know baby you know it

 

Siyeon coughs into her fist, shyly looking down at the table. Bora feels her ears getting fiery red and quickly takes a sip of water to calm herself.

“So, your name is Bora?” Bora nearly melts at how small and soft Siyeon sounds right now. “I- yes. My name is Kim Bora.” She awkwardly reaches her hand across the table to greet Siyeon. Siyeon chuckles cutely and grips her hand with a nod. “I’m Lee Siyeon. Nice to properly meet you finally, I guess.” 

Bora is blushing furiously at this point, retracting her hand quickly. “Yeh… Sorry I never approached you before.” Siyeon smiles at the shy look on Bora’s face. She’s much smaller than she thought. Tilting her head, she remembers she was with Yoohyeon.

“How do you know Yoohyeon?” Bora scratches her neck and chuckles. “We actually work for the same company and have known each other since college. I’m the talent scouting manager at the company she gives vocal lessons.” 

Siyeon’s eyes widen. “You’re a talent scout for DCC??” She looked up to Yoohyeon for working at such a prestigious company but she never dared ask her to get her an audition because she wants to be recognised for her talent, not her connections. Bora nods. “That first night I came by, Yoohyeon had dragged me over, actually. She said I just had to hear the main performer for myself.”

The singer gulps, making eye contact with the smaller girl in front of her. “And? What did you think?”

Bora takes a deep breath. “I fell in love with your voice.” She smiles at Siyeon, who quickly returns the gesture, with an added blush on her cheeks.

 

Perhaps we are similar

Thinking the same thoughts

Seemingly wanting for something oh

 

Minji and Yoohyeon enjoy their lunch together once they notice conversation starts flowing between their friends. It’s been a while since they had a proper lunch date as well.

Bora and Siyeon ease into the set-up date quickly, discussing their tastes in music, love for dance and joking about their friends too, of course.

That evening, Bora visits the bar again, but this time she stays until Siyeon’s set is done and offers her a bouquet of crimson roses. Siyeon is quick to accept and pull her into a tight hug, causing huge applause and some wolf whistles courtesy of Yoohyeon and Minji to break out from the crowd.

 

If you are now going to approach me

Don’t hesitate and come

Let’s skip awkward greetings

Like old lovers


 

*A few months later*

Bora is excited. Siyeon’s debut single is supposed to release tomorrow but the company, including Siyeon and Yoohyeon, has been so secretive about it. Granted, it was a good stunt because it’s gained Siyeon quite a following already but Bora couldn’t help but envy Yoohyeon for having already heard the song.

Whenever she asks, Yoohyeon simply says that she’ll love it and it’s a surprise. Of course, Bora will love it. She loves everything about Siyeon. Over the past months, they’ve gotten to know each other better than anyone ever has before. They even sent Yoohyeon and Minji on a spa-resort weekend to thank them for finally getting them together that day at the restaurant.

“Bora, let’s go!” Yoohyeon’s loud voice booms from the hallway of her apartment complex. For some reason, Yoohyeon badly wanted to take her out tonight. She’d rather spend the evening with Siyeon, but she said she had to do final checks and rehearsals for her debut the next day. 

“I’m coming!” Bora grabs her purse and walks out, nearly toppling over Yoohyeon in the process. She sighs as Yoohyeon side-steps so she can close and lock her door. “Where are we even going?” Yoohyeon starts blabbing on about some ‘surprise’ while dragging Bora down to her car.

 

* * *

 

Bora frowns as they park at the jazz bar. “Yoo, you didn’t have to drive us both here? We could’ve just met here if you want to hang out at the bar so bad.” Yoohyeon smugly smiles at her friend and steps out of the car. “The bar is closed tonight, my friend.” Bora frowns in confusion and quickly gets out of the car, smacking the door closed behind her. “What do you mean?”

Trailing behind her, Bora stops when Yoohyeon suddenly turns. “I heard there’s a special event tonight!” Bora shakes her head. “What are you planning?” Yoohyeon simply shrugs her shoulders and pushes Bora in front of her. “Have fun!”

“Wh-” Yoohyeon has just successfully yeeted Bora through the bar’s entrance. Regaining her balance, she looks around her. The bar is dark, only the counter illuminated by a few strategically placed candles.

“Hello?” As Bora takes a step forward, suddenly the spotlights at the podium flicker on. Red lights shine down on the stage, reflecting off of a familiar figure. 

“Siyeon?” Bora takes a few more steps but stops when Siyeon smiles at her and music fills the room. 

It’s a smooth and jazzy sound and Bora can’t help but become entranced as Siyeon starts singing.

Quickly, she realises it’s their story. Covering her face with a hand, Bora smiles while tearing up. Siyeon sings to her, serenades her, and slowly makes her way closer from the stage. Gently she holds Bora’s hand and sways with her to the beat as she sings.

She softens her voice as she reaches the final chorus, taking the time to look Bora deep in her eyes and relay her feelings to the smaller girl. Bora gently caresses her cheek, smiling up at her.

 

I feel I love you

Oh I love you

Oh I like you (Do-ru-doo)

Do I know you? Oh ah

I think I love you (Love you)

Oh I love you (Love you)

Oh I like you (Like you)

Maybe you’ll feel it, too

 

Finishing up the song, Bora whispers back. “I think I love you too.” Siyeon leans in closely, discarding her microphone and pulling Bora closer by her waist, squeezing into her hips. 

“Kim Bora, will you do me the honour of being my girlfriend?” Bora chuckles and pulls Siyeon into a sweet kiss by her cheeks.

A ruckus is heard in the distance. Kim Yoohyeon’s booming voice resonates through the bar. “DID SHE SAY YES?!” The couple burst out in laughter as they spot Minji trying to pull Yoohyeon back to the backroom. 

Shaking their heads, the new couple relish in the feeling of holding each other, softly swaying to the song playing in their hearts.


 

(I feel I love you)

Ooh-oh-oh

Ooh-oh-oh

Ooh-oh-oh oh-oh whoa

(I feel I love you)

Ooh-oh-oh

Ooh-oh-oh

Ooh-oh-oh oh-oh

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

 

This was long overdue and SO MUCH FUN TO WRITE!

Tried something new. Worked together with a friend (twitter: @daeguseaofblood) to brainstorm on the scenes and such :3 We had a blast and hope to do it more often! Special thanks to Ash for this!

Have a good day/night :3 Follow me on twitter @shaimaafoop for updates!