Tension (Suayeon/JiYoo/SingJiBoYoo)

Dystopia: The Tree of Language

Your Rule perfectly assembled...

 

This is not your typical fairytale. This is a story where friendship and loyalty come to the forefront, trying their best to overshadow betrayal and sorrow. Mourning the death of their king and queen, the whole country waits with baited breath. The only heir to the throne is a young girl by the name of Kim Bora, soon-to-be Queen Kim Bora...

 

* * *

 

inside it even a single miss is too big of a poison...

 

'Bora, look at me.' Slowly, she turns to the voice. Minji sighs, tired of watching her mope around. It's been a week since her parents, the rulers of the kingdom, were tragically murdered by the court's head of guard. Bora had him excecuted immediately and took her allowed month of mourning and preparation. The castle and its inhabitants had barely seen her since. Swallowed by anger, she spiraled into her own thoughts. Her handmaiden since birth, Minji, has been tending to her needs since. They're more like sisters than anything else. They were raised together and the king and queen were like second parents to Minji as well, raising her alongside their daughter as a shoulder to lean on, in case anything were to happen to the royal couple.

'You need to get some fresh air. This isn't helping anyone and I hate to see you so... so broken...' Bora's eyes moisten again at Minji's words. It's true, she's broken. Everyone knew her as the loud and energetic princess, always up for an unplanned dance party and joking around with the kids of the court's staff. That disappeared after the incident. The halls are now empty, the kids saddened at the loss of both their rulers and their friend.

'I am broken, Minji. What am I supposed to do? You know they'll expect me to marry and take over rule by the end of the month! I didn't want any of this!' Minji frowns and quickly pulls her best friend into a tight hug. They hold each other close, sobbing softly and relishing in the comfort their close friendship brings them. Bora would be much worse off if it wasn't for Minji being there with her every step of the way. From the announcement to the funeral to her mourning process.

'Just try to go out to the garden today at least? I've been working on appointing a new head of guards and need to have a meeting this afternoon in your name. The guards have apparently elected someone themselves. Someone that trained them last year and took over from the previous head for a few weeks when they were on the country side.' Bora rubs at her eyes, taking in her friend's words. 'Make sure they're to be trusted.' Minji nods. 'Of course. I won't let anything else happen to you.' Rubbing her back, Minji waits for Bora to settle her thoughts. 

 

Now don’t hesitate Oh...

 

'Clear the garden before your meeting. I don't want anyone to see me like this.' Minji smiles softly, glad she'll at least get some fresh air. 'I will. I'll make the arrangements and accompany you there before the meeting, okay?' A soft nod is all it takes for Minji to get up and leave, but not before leaving a soft kiss atop her friend's head.

The second she leaves and closes the door behind her, she hears Bora break down in sobs again. It takes every bit of her willpower to walk away from the door. With shaky hands, she makes her way to the barracks to arrange the meeting and tell the guards to clear the garden.

 

Don’t stay trapped Oh...

 

* * *

 

You need to break out Break the wall...

 

Gazing out over the flowers in the garden, Bora takes a deep breath. The soft fragrance of the flowers soothing her mind momentarily. Minji had rushed off after dropping her off, not wanting to be late to the meeting, as she's representing Bora. Getting up, she decides to walk along the rose bushes. She used to always tend to them with her mother. As she passes the bush she planted with her mother only the previous year, a tear falls from her eyes, heart breaking at the memories.

'Excuse me, are you okay?' Startled, Bora turns around, back facing the voice. She quickly wipes away her tear and puts on a cold facade, not wanting to show weakness to anyone. 

'Who asks?' Bora turns swiftly, freezing as she comes to face a gorgeous woman, clad in heavy armour and dark hair in a tight ponytail. Her bangs are just short enough for Bora to make out a set of cat-like eyes smiling at her. Taking off her glove, the stranger steps forward with their hand outstretched. Bora frowns at the gesture. She doesn't know who I am? Thinking it may be someone from the entourage of the potential new head of guards from the country side, she plays along. It may be easier to pretend she's not the princess for a while. Just be Bora again for a bit until responsibility comes to bite her in the again.

'The name's Lee Siyeon, pleased to meet you.' Gently laying her hand in Siyeon's she nods. 'I'm Sua.' She smiles sadly as she uses her mom's nickname for her. 

 

Oh no oh...

 

'You looked a bit shaken there. You're sure you're okay?' Bora shrugs and pulls her hand back from Siyeon, turning to walk towards the benches between the rose bushes and apple trees. She needs to sit down, needs to feel grounded. Siyeon follows her and takes a seat next to her, taking off both gloves and smiling up at the afternoon sun. 'Quite a nice day out. These gardens are very well kept, I'm glad to see it.' 

Frowning, the princess turns her head. 'You're not familiar with the royal gardens then?' Siyeon shakes her head with a wolfish grin. 'I'm from the country side, far south.' Bora's suspicions are confirmed by the rugged looking girl. 'Was asked in for business. You work for the palace?' Bora nods and decides to leave it at that. For a few minutes, they simply sit beside each other in a comfortable silence. As it draws closer to evening and sun lowers, Bora starts feeling cold in her dress. Siyeon gently reaches forward and places her warm hands on Bora's. 

She startles in surprise, but quickly finds comfort in the warm touch. 'I'm used to being out in the cold. My body usually runs quite warm. Useful on the battlefield, or to warm a pretty girl's hands.' Bora blushes at her words, hiding her face behind her hair.

Sitting up quickly as the clock chimes 5 PM, Siyeon's eyes widen. 'I'm running late for a meeting. So very sorry, Sua!' Getting up, she bows to the princess before handing her her gloves. 'Stay warm. Let's meet again!' Running off, Bora follows the sound of her shaking armour. Looking down, she puts her hands into the leather gloves, bringing them up to her face. 'Smells like campfire.' Siyeon must spend a lot of time outdoors.

Slowly, the princess makes her way back to her chambers, waiting for Minji to update her after the meeting over dinner.

 

* * *

 

Minji had explained to her that the proposed head and their entourage ran a few minutes late but they made up for it with their enthusiasm and skills. She couldn't help but notice how Minji would blush when talking about the new head's right-hand guard. She made sure to take note to later whenever they might meet.

A few days later, Bora finds herself wandering the gardens again, maybe wishing to meet a certain girl again.

 

Except for you time flows busily...

 

As she leans over to smell some of the orchids, she feels a presence hover over her. 'I somehow always managed to kill those back home.' Siyeon manages to elicit a soft giggle from Bora's lips. She turns to meet her eyes. 'Did you overwater them?' Siyeon pouts for a moment, seemingly thinking about it. Bora finds herself at ease in her presence.

'I might've... My mom was always better at those things. She may be glad I'm not there anymore to mess up her flowers.' Bora smiles melancholically, recalling all the times her mother chided her for overwatering flowers. 'My mom was like that too. She taught me everything I know now.' Sensing the sad tone, Siyeon gently places a hand on Bora's shoulder. 'I'm sorry, Sua. What happened?' Not wanting to talk about it, the princess shakes her head and simply allows Siyeon to rub her shoulder gently. 

'Which are your favourite in the garden?' Looking up, Bora's eyes sparkle slightly. 'The roses. I love the roses.' Offering her arm, Siyeon waits patiently until Bora loops her arm through. 'Care to tell me more about their care?'

And so they walk about, Bora explaining about the various plants and flowers as they pass through the garden, with Siyeon smiling and attentively listening to everything Bora has to say.

 

Everything can’t always be perfect...

 

Minji is glad to see Bora's mood liften since she started going to the gardens more frequently. Bora always did find her inner peace by visiting the flowers and tending to them with her mother. Smiling, she walks to the barracks, looking for the newly appointed head of guards.

'Hey, Minji!' She smiles as a blonde-haired tall girl approaches her. 'Yoohyeon, how are you?' Yoohyeon smiles widely, using a cloth to wipe the sweat off her neck. Minji gulps for a moment and clenches her hands together behind her back. 

'Ah, I'm okay. I was just training the guards. Seems they still have some techniques to brush up on.' Minji smiles back and nods. 'Master Lee isn't with you?' The oversized puppy-looking second-in-command shakes her head cutely. 'Siyeon? No, she decided to explore the castle grounds. She's been wandering off a lot lately. She says she wants to familiarise herself with every corner so she can better think of strategies for defense!' 

Minji nods, she did seem like the planning type. Yoohyeon looks more like the impulsive type but has shown herself to be very knowledgeable in many fields, one of them being languages. During one of their meetings, she mentioned she dealt with many different people from different nations so Siyeon puts that skill to use by letting Yoohyeon handle negotiations.

'Do you know where she might be or when she might return?' Yoohyeon purses her lips and Minji giggles softly. 'Not sure. I can help you look, if you'd like?' Minji nods, blushing slightly. She won't turn down a chance to spend time with Yoohyeon. She's taken quite the liking to her. 'I'd appreciate that, Yoohyeon.' Now it's the guard's turn to blush and scratch the back of her neck. 'I'll tell the guards to take a break. I've been pestering them for 2 hours already.' With a nod, Yoohyeon is off and Minji pinches her arm to make sure this isn't all a weird dream.

 

* * *

 

It's nearing the end of the month, Bora needs to get back to her duties and start preparation for her public corronation. She hasn't been able to see Siyeon as much as she's constantly working on different legal issues and Siyeon is busy finishing up their defense strategies and making sure everything is order for the day of the corronation, as it's custom to invite the neighbouring royals and nation's aristocracy. 

They found a way to keep in touch. Whenever either one of them visits the roses, they'd leave a letter there for the other to read. They correspond this way with Siyeon still not realising Bora is the future Queen she's hired to protect. Bora is encouraged by Siyeon's letters. It makes her want to do better at every meeting that follows, to be the Queen that Siyeon is so busy for. To deserve to be guarded by Siyeon's master and entourage.

 

It’s okay...

 

They were supposed to have a meeting with the full staff, the night before the corronation. However, Siyeon didn't think it'd be safe to have that many people in the same room and leave posts unattended. Instead, everyone but the guards met, so they could ensure the staff's safety along with the future queen's.

Bora is greeted happily again by all the staff, those who weren't able to work with her on preparation simply happy to see her again, with more colour to her cheeks. She may have even let a smile or 2 slip. She feels stronger, prepared for her duties.

 

You’re doing great right now...

 

That night, she can't help but toss and turn though. Memories of her parents assassination at a gathering like tomorrow's plus her impending duties leaving her panicking. Needless to say, she doesn't get much sleep that night. Minji spends the whole morning trying to calm her while running around and preparing for the corronation. Yoohyeon bumps into her a few times, able to give her a soothing kiss and hug, making sure the handmaiden doesn't overwork herself. 

 

For Everything to turn out as you wish...

 

She trembles, waiting in her dressing room. Minji walks in slowly. 'It's time, Bora. Are you ready?' Taking a shaky breath, she takes Minji's hand. 'I have to be...'

 

Trust me oh Trust me Don’t stop, bet everything...

 

Slowly, she makes her way to the throne room, where she can hear everyone chatting happily, music ringing through the large room. Minji squeezes her hand and walks ahead of her to announce her entrance.

 

Needless worries only torment you.

Tension will disappear abandon thought bewitch yourself...

 

'May I have your attention, please!' Minji's voice rings over the crowd, instantly causing silence. Bora looks at herself in one of the mirrors. It feels like she just swallowed a pile of rocks. Her stomach feels heavy, heart pounding unimagineably fast. 

'May I present to you, our soon to be crowned queen. Her majesty, Princess Kim Bora!' Closing her eyes, she draws another shaky breath. She smooths out her dress and steps out from behind the curtains, nodding at the maids moving the curtain for her. 

 

The future doesn’t seem clear yet...

 

She meets the expectant eyes of hundreds of her disciples, aristocrats and royalty from neighbouring countries. The rocks feel heavier with every step she takes. Will I be enough.  Another step closer to the throne. Will I be able to rule as justly as my parents have. She feels her eyes prickling, gulping down. I'm not them. I am not my parents. Her thoughts spiral, her footsteps become slower, less calculated. Minji's smile drops as she sees the familiar sight of Bora in the middle of a mental breakdown. She tries to catch her gaze to calm her, but it's too late. Bora's eyes glaze over with tears.

 

Numerous plans hold you back...

 

She breathes out an apology and finds herself lifting the edges of her dress, running out. The crowd gasps and murmurs. 'Her majesty seems to be filling a bit ill, please do enjoy some more drinks and music as we make sure she is alright!' Minji tries to get everyone distracted by prompting the band and maids to continue as they were. Music soon fills the hall again but the people keep murmuring among themselves. Just as Minji is about to make a run after Bora, Siyeon grabs her shoulder. 

'Let me go after her. Stay here and tend to the guests.' Minji is ready to deny her, Bora hasn't done well with strangers lately. But Siyeon's determined look makes her stop and merely nod in acceptance. With that, the royal head guard is off.

 

Everything can’t be perfect all the time it’s okay...

 

Siyeon quickens her pace, feet swiftly taking her towards the back doors of the palace. The roses. She knows that's where she'll find the distressed Princess. She'd been the first to gasp as Bora walked through the curtains. She smiles as she is now almost running through the garden. She's not mad at all that she was lied to. She's rather honoured she got to see a different side to the princess. She was able to connect to her as a person, for that she'll always be grateful. It warms her heart to know Sua/Bora is the person she'll protect with her life. There's not a doubt in her mind. Bora will make a great queen.

Spotting the small girl seated next to the roses, Siyeon wordlessly joins her on the bench. Bora stiffens and slowly turns her head. 'Siyeon?' 

'You know, I always expected a prince or princess to be present for a corronation.' She turns her head to Bora with a gently smile. 'So what made ours run away, Princess Bora?' She gasps, a hand finding its way to cover . 'I'm sorry I lied! I'm sorry I never told you... I just wanted to be normal... Not be royalty... Not have all those responsibilities...' Nodding, Siyeon brushes a few stray tears off of Bora's cheeks. 'No need to apologise. You were forgiven the second I saw how beautiful you look in that dress.' 

Bora is quick to blush and tries to hide her face. Siyeon grabs her chin gently, tilting her head to face her. 'Don't hide your beauty. I'm glad our Queen will at least be a sight for sore eyes. Helps morale, yknow?' Bora chuckles at the remark before sadly sighing again. 'I'm not sure I'm suited to be queen. My parents had so much more experience, were so much better at all they did.' Siyeon shakes her head. 'It's the people around them that made them king and queen.' Bora sniffles and frowns. 'Without your people, you can't be a queen and without their queen the people can't be united. You're doing fine as you are. Just stay true to yourself and listen to those around you. You're not in this alone.'

 

You’re doing great right now...

 

Bora throws herself into Siyeon's arms, hugging her tightly. 'Do you really mean it?' Siyeon hugs her back, careful not to hurt her with the armour she's currently wearing. 'I swear on my mother's flowerbed.' This elicits another giggle from the princess. 'But wait, weren't only the prime guards supposed to be in the throne room?' Siyeon nods. 'Yeh? That's how I arranged it, for safety.' Bora's eyes widen as realisation hits her. 'You're Master Lee...' Siyeon groans and rests her head on Bora's shoulder. 'Don't call me that, makes me feel old.' Bora gently lifts her head, rubbing Siyeon's cheek with her thumb. 'So you've been protecting me all this time, emotionally and physically, and I didn't even know...'

 

For Everything to turn out as you wish...

 

'I suppose so. Are you feeling better?' Bora nods softly, leaning her head against Siyeon's, who's breath hitches.

 

Trust me oh Trust me...

 

'You promise to stay by my side at all times?' Siyeon nods, leaning in. 'As long as you want and need me, I will be right there beside you, my queen.'

 

Don’t stop, bet everything...

 

It's Bora who closes the gap between them in a sweet kiss, her hands finding the back of Siyeon's neck, pawing at the muscle there to Siyeon's pleasure. Siyeon nearly purrs into the kiss, lowering her hands to squeeze Bora's waist. As they part, both are sporting a wide smile, cheeks painted a soft pink hue.

 

Close your eyes beside me...

 

Siyeon sits up and lifts Bora with her. 'May I her highness back to her corronation?' Bora bites her lip and nods, looping her arm with Siyeon and resting her head against the taller girl's shoulder as they slowly walk through the garden. Siyeon starts humming softly and turns her head to Bora. 'May I sing you a lullaby? My mother would always sing it for me when I got anxious before trainings and battles.' Bora wordlessly nods and closes her eyes, trusting Siyeon to guide her safely through the garden.

 

I’ll sing for you

Lullaby for you

(Just stay with me)...

 

Bora's heart calms as Siyeon sings softly for her and her alone. Opening her eyes as they near the hall again, she braces herself at the sound of the festivities. Siyeon stops at one of the side entrances to look at her. 'Are you ready?' Bora takes a deep breath. 'Will you stay with me?' Siyeon nods and holds her close to her side. 'Always, my queen.' Smiling, Bora nods and looks ahead at the door, chin lifted. 'Let's do this.'

 

Right now, it’s only hardships...

 

The crowd instantly stills as everyone turns to the side entrance opening. Everyone spots their princess, clinging to the Head of the Royal Guard's arm. Minji is in the middle of a mild panic attack when Yoohyeon pats her arm and turns her towards the door. She smiles softly as she finds her clinging to Siyeon. She quickly gathers staff to open up a path to the throne for the pair. 'Make way for our future Queen!'

 

But you will rise again

You can do it...

 

Bora makes eye contact with old acquintances as she makes her way towards the front of the room. Siyeon follows her pace steadily, providing her support and safety. Once she reaches the front, Minji moves up to bow before her and offer her hand to take over from Siyeon. Siyeon eyes Bora, who nods at her. Siyeon lets go of her arm and bows before her. Before she can move back to her designated position, Bora grabs her arm and kisses her cheek quickly. 'Thank you, Siyeon.' Blushing, Siyeon winks at her, trying to ignore the gasps and whispers in the crowd before moving back to her spot beside Yoohyeon. Yoohyeon winks and raises her eyebrows at her playfully to which her superior quiets her down with a well-aimed shove in her side.

 

Everything will turn out as you wish...

 

Bora stands in front of the throne. The royal family sword placed in her hands by the president of the royal council. As she cites her vows as Queen, her eyes meet with Minji's. She smiles at her best friend proudly, blinking away a tear as the council moves to pledge their loyalty to her as their queen.

 

Just trust me oh Trust me...

 

Minji is up next, Bora had decided she wanted her best friend to crown her. 'I'm so proud of you.' She whispers as she comes to stand before Bora. 'I love you, Minji. Thank you so much.' Minji tears up as Bora does too. She gently takes the crown off of its cushion and nods for Bora to kneel. 


If you give it your all...

 

She gently places the crown atop her head, pulling Bora back up. Minji takes a step back before kneeling down to pledge her loyalty to Bora again as well.

 

Needless worries only torment you...

 

She steps forward, in clear view of everyone in the large throne room. 'I introduce to you, her Majesty, our Queen Kim Bora!' The whole room immediately drops to their knees, pledging their loyalty and allegiance to the new Queen. 

 

Tension will disappear...

 

Bora bows her head towards the room. She stands up straight and takes a step forward again. 'As your Queen, I promise to be tool for the people, a voice for the unheard. Let us unite this country again!' The whole crowd bursts out in cheers. The band kicks back in for a night of song and dance. The nation celebrates as their queen has finally taken her rightful place. After a month of mourning and uncertainty, they can now rest easy with a queen who wants to understand her people.

 

You don’t have to worry...

 

As everyone starts dancing together, a certain guard walks up beside her. Bora eyes her mischievous look. Kneeling, Siyeon holds out her hand. 'May I have the Queen's first dance?' Bora smiles brightly, taking her hand and pulling her close against her to sway softly. 'Stop calling me, queen. It makes me feel old.' Siyeon chuckles at her words and smiles as she feels Bora relax into her.

 

I’ll cast a charm for you...

 

Minji spends the night laughing and dancing with Yoohyeon as Bora does the same with Siyeon. Later that evening, the 4 of them retreat to the gardens to chat and become closer. It is upon these 4 pairs of shoulders that the country's future rests. With friendship, loyalty and a sense of humanity, the nation unites as 1 under Queen Bora's reign.

 

Parara ba ba babababa

You’re the only one

Parara ba ba babababa...

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------

Author's note:

Oof, that was a tough one to write but I got it done somehow :3

Hope you enjoyed! Stay posted for the next one-shot!

Have a good day/night! :)