𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒.

The Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She knew she was running away from someoneβ€”or something, and for a while now, she's been doing just that. Her dress's skirt billowing behind her in the wind as she pressed on heading for the docks. She needed to find him.

She knew she was the safest with him.

Even when she knew he'd push her away regardless.

She flitted through carriages, scaring the horses and even evoking curses from the coachmen. But she couldn't stop then. They've been chasing her for days, and she didn't know how they came to the realization that she could see more than most mortals do. Because she had never told anyone of her peculiar talent. So how did they know?

But there were only so many places in London that she could hide herself before finally giving away her locations. And found her, they did.

She prayed to whatever forces controlling her fates to let her live just for a few minutesβ€”at the very least, until she could see him one last time. And lay out her feelings for him. Oh, just how much she regretted ever not telling him when she had the chance.

Shadows loomed over her head, and snarls erupted, sounding even closer to her than before. She swallowed back a shriek and risked looking upwards towards the buildings above her. She had been found. Humans. . . humans could never see them. But she could. Shadows flickered from the corner of her sight, and she ran towards the back alley. It was the fastest route to the docks where he was working. It was how she'd met him in the first place; by the docks, attending to the ships.

A sailor of the vast seas. Her jolly sailor bold.

By all miracles, she reached the docks. The sun was rising high and soon the ships would sail. She pushed past the mortals crowding the dock as she spotted a large vessel of white mast and sails. She ran faster, yelling for his name. Her angel.Β 

Her only hope was to see his face one final time and perhaps, just perhaps, one last embrace.

The ship was massive and as she peered up towards it, the sun glinted in the horizon, momentarily blinding her as the figure of a tall man jumped from the lower deck of the vessel and stood in front of her. She couldn't precisely make out his features but she knew that he was bewildered as to why sheβ€”a high-class young lady, was at the docks.

"Anna," his rich deep voice called upon her very soul, and she found her resolve crumblingβ€”her knees, weak.Β The sun still obscured his face from her sight. "What are you doing here?"

If the universe really wanted to separate them, let this be her final chance of savouring whatever moment she had left of him. She rushed forth and threw herself right into his arms, and all of her worries and problems withered away. She thought he would push her away as he had often done in the past, as if he was constantly fearful that a single touch from him would disintegrate her body and soul away. But this time, he returned her embrace in such deep intensity that it had brought a pleasant surprise to her.

Her body warmed up to his touches.

Her soul lighted up.

But as momentarily as it lasted, growls and snarls resounded from the other side of the piers. Her angel's body stiffened, but before he could put himself in front of her in a protective stance, she desperately cupped his face. The sunlight seemed to wrap around them, but even without seeing his face clearly, she knew just how otherworldly he was.

"Please, there is no time." She pleaded. "You have to listen to me," For a frightening moment, she recalled calling his name, but it disso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter