๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ.

The Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just as soon as I said it, the man in front of me threw back his head and laughed; a deep, resonating sound that was rich and full, vibrating inside me and affecting me subconsciously.ย 

"Is that your judgement of me? That I am an angel?" He mused when he'd finally gained control of himself. His dark gaze twinkling subtly.

"I- But," I stammered. "I recalled last night. You- saved me. You came down from the skies, w-with wings."

He let out another roll of laughter, although this time was lower in volume, but as affecting nonetheless. "And you assume all creatures with wings are - inevitably -ย angels?"

I instantly scowled in annoyance. "Okay, then what the hell are you?"

His lips curled wider into a triumphant grin, as if he was amused and satisfied by my current predicament.ย 

Jerk.ย 

A really attractive jerk.

"Let's just say for now, I am your ally in our upcoming, ah, obstacles." He flashed me a grin, and I was beginning to think that he was well aware of his effects on me.

"How. . . can I trust you?" I pressed. "I don't even know your name. I don't even know why you saved me last night, or how you found me- Have. . . Have you beenย followingย me?"

He let out a deep rumble of chuckle. "Calm down, little dove."ย Why the hell does he keep calling me that?ย "One question at a time. I promise, I'm not running away any time soon." That same grin again appeared upon his features, infuriating me as deeply as it intrigued me. "Or shall I say,ย flyย away."

I took a deep breath and tried to collect my jumbled up thoughts. Being near this man, was doingย thingsย to me; things I'd never imagined I'd experience. And what was more exasperating was the fact that I was in definite danger last night, yet. . . I found myself being able to trust this man,ย angel, whoever the hell he was. He was dodgy, vague and very mysterious, but all I could think of was that if he wanted to harm me, he would've done so last night. He wouldn't have had to save me in the first place if he wanted to harm me.

I decided to trust my instincts and take a chance.

"Okay, what's your name?" I started off simple.

"Whatever you wish to call me, dove." He teased with a wolfish grin upon his face, like a cat cornering a mouse.ย In this case, I was the unfortunate mouse.ย I stifled back the urge to gulp. Or lean forward and smack him.

Or kiss him.ย Slap me now.

At my unconcealed glare, he chuckled, clearly finding amusement in the situation I was in. That, or he was justย thatย bored. "I am known as Kai."

"You mean, you have another name?"

Kai cocked up a perfect brow. "Yes, but one which is not in your business to know, little dove."

I rolled my eyes. "It's just a name." I grumbled. "Fine. Kai.ย How did you find me last night? No, scratch that, the night in front of my apartment, why were you there?"

"Why, dove, I was simply in the neighborhood." He shrugged, displaying an expression of pretense innocence. I narrowed my eyes at him, and Kai raised his palms up, surrending. "Alright, if you must know so badly to feed that growing curiosity of yours regardingย meโ€”" I opened my mouth to retort in anger. "I was watching over you. That, and I wanted to say hello. Nothing more."

I frowned in confusion. "Watching over me? Why?" I sputtered, waving my hands in between us both. "I- No, forget that. Can you just explainย from theย start, without being all infuriatingly cheeky with me? Tell me in all transparent honesty; why was I attacked last night and what were those things and why did they call me a Nephilim? And what's the relation between angels and demons, and-!" I took a deep breath, also trying to ignore the twinkle of amusement in his eyes as he waited for me to finish. "And if you're not an angel, what are you then?"

Kai tilted his head to the side slightly as he looked at me, studying me. As if he was weighing on his choices. "Will you promise me to listen without interrupting me? Questio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter