π‘œπ‘›π‘’.

The Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In an abandoned warehouse, in the outskirts far from the city or any mortal towns, shadowsΒ emerged. The night that was peaceful with a constant singing of crickets, abruptly stopped as the air thickened with darkness. The dusty pavement was soon covered with globs of thick black smoke that soon arose to several figures.

The smoke dissipated, giving view of three male figures. Their menacing red gaze spoke of their identity, an eerie light in the darkness. The middle one stalked to a chair nearby and sat down with the kind of grace that a panther would have, just before it pounced on its prey.

"Bring him to me." He spoke, his tone commanding and final. Like a leader would.

Another two figures appeared from the shadows, much like the first three did. But they dragged a limp body along as they approached, and threw the unmoving person at the feet of their leader.

The leader took a slow step towards the unmoving heap of body, and crouched in front of him. "Did it work?"

"No, sir. The blood. . . appeared to not have been compatible with him." One of them reported in a rather timid voice, fearful of their lord's response. "He. . . still can't see."

A feral growl broke through the silence and temperature plunged down to freezing. "Bring me another Nephilim. I don't care how many, bring themΒ allΒ to me."

Β 

_______________________________

Β 

A week passed by in a breeze since that odd incident. Of course, my ghost radar was constantly on; I kept seeing souls every second of the day, and even though I was faking to not have seen or heard them, it was driving me insane nonetheless. I wondered if I could ever turn my ghost radar off. Hell, a day of not seeing a single soul - so to speak - would be nice for a change.

Oddly, ever since last week's incident, more and more souls kept appearing around me. I couldn't decide who's more confused by it; them or me. One time, I was walking out of the subway train while I was on my way back from my campus, and this one female soul - just about my age - appeared right in front of me, and it caught me off-guarded that I didn't manage to swerve in time.Β 

I walked past her like she's merely a whisk of smoke- well, sheΒ was.Β And technically, I wasn't supposed to see her.

But she yelped and cursed at me. Oops.

This other time, I was reading in my campus's library, but there was this old man - another soul, what else - was literally in front of me, staring at me with those bottomless smokey eyes. I grabbed a random religious book, flipped it open and threw it out on the table. He grunted and disappeared.

Now, don't ask me if these souls were responsive to what kind of religion, that's a more tricky aspect of things that I definitely wouldn't want to delve into. Like, are ghosts sensitive to holy water? I don't know. But they hated the rain - I've never seen a single wandering soul when the day is raining. So. I guess?

Can ghosts be exorcised? Hm, I don't think so. The notions of ghosts are merely spirits or wandering souls who were left still walking the plains of the earth's realm instead of crossing over to the other side. They're definitely not capable of anything other than moving things around a bit here and there. But to actually possess people and cause harm? I'm not entirely sure. It hasn't happened to me or occured anywhere around me yet, and I intended to keep it that way.

Seeing spirits was one thing. Exorcising demons? Nah. No thanks. Unless Heaven or Hell were up paying me for it, then I was happy where I was.

Adjusting my shoulder bag, I pushed open the door to Grandma's Kimchi and was greeted by my co-worker, who was also one of the very few humans on this planet that was immune to my antisocial reputation. Kim Jongdae, or rather Chen as we had all called him because of his obsession with this one Chinese character in this one favourite Chinese drama of his, was a man who had nothing to lose in life. You could throw him the most sour lemons of life, and he'd turn them into awesome lemonades and watch him come out of it grinning. Chen was always smiling, always making peopl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter