Why don't you get married?

Why don't you get married?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why don’t you get married?”

This is so random.

She is sitting after a long tour in this big flower garden located on the southern side of Amsterdam only to find a stranger talking to her and asking her that question after some moment of talking. She tries to curl a very simple smile she has, actually not really interested to give a long answer. She thinks that it is okay to answer this kind of question. She will not see this stranger again after today, anyway.

“Everything has its time, I believe. I don’t push things like that,” she replies.

The stranger, a bright and young man, smiles. She does not know maybe it means that he already expected that kind of answer she gave?

“Oh, I believe it, too.” That guy nods.

She takes a better look at this guy she has been talking with for almost half an hour. She cannot guess his age, but perhaps they are at the same age. He’s got his hair cut short, black hair, with some of bangs rest on his forehead. Long eyelashes, round big eyes, pointed nose, well, he has nice features not to mention his sharp jaw and his gummy smile. He looks so perfect in the eyes of a stranger. Her.

“For some people, looking for a partner is easy.” He comments. “But, I cannot be like them.”

“Why is that?” she asks, honestly feeling the same. It is never easy to find a partner.

He shrugs. “I don’t know. Maybe, I’m not good enough?” he lets out a half sigh saying those words. “Oh perhaps, I’m too picky.”

“I don’t think it’s a problem,” she says, finally getting into the topic. “If you’re too picky to look for a partner, it just means you want the best for you. Marriage happens once in a lifetime.”

“I’ll say. So, it’s not bad, right?” he forms a slight smile.

“No. It’s not bad.” She replies and smiles, thinking that many people will not agree on that.

The society is already formed to give people limited time. They demand people to arrive at the same time, expecting the same for everybody. The thing they forget is that everyone has their own journey. People pursue different dreams, different lives. Why should they arrive at the same time? They took different roads. And no one knew what they have been through on the road.

That is the thing she never understands people.

But, life is not about pleasing everyone.

But, it is hard sometimes not to think about what people say.

It unknowingly takes some space in your head.

“But…,” the guy suddenly speaks, “if you find that person right away, will you get married?”

She looks at him intently. “What do you mean?”

He exhales. “You, find the person who accepts your flaws, having that same connection, tastes, will you spend your life with that person?”

She believes that she will have the chance to find the right person, so, “Yes.”

“That was quick.” He grins.

She curls a smile.

“Do you have type or something?” he asks again.

“No, not really. But, someone who is caring and sharing the same tastes will be great.”

“What kind of taste?”

“Food? Music?”

“Oh.” He nods.

“And, you? How’s your type?”

“I don’t know.”

That is weird.

She is really having this kind of conversation with a stranger.

The old married couple they have been looking at and talking about (which led to that random marriage question) for more than ten minutes just move to another little area of tulips. She realizes that probably she and this stranger guy will change the topic to talk since the topic they were talking on is already leaving the scene.

“Should we leave, too?” the guy asks her. He blinks. “Oh, sorry. Do you want to go to other spots?” he seems to realize that he was asking her to go with him without even asking her opinion.

Oh.

They just happen to meet and talk, it does not mean they should go to the rest of the spots in this garden together. She comes alone here and never expects to roam this place with someone except the garden’s staff or guide.

“No. I’ll be here for a moment. I still need to rest my feet.” She answ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter