That Kind of A Stranger

The Crossroad Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter II: That Kind of A Stranger

 

(Author’s Note: I suggest for you guys to listen to Falling Asleep Again by GFRIEND, and read with it, feel the chapter and the song. I wrote this chapter for you to feel. And I hope you find the beauty of this by doing so. Of course, you may opt not to do so too. J )

 

 

I watched the cars freely pass by. The night has come again, and even the lampposts will soon slowly fall asleep. I am standing by a waiting shed, waiting for my bus to come. The sky is beginning to turn orange as the sun bids it goodbye for the day.

 

From afar, I can see the bus 7718. And after some seconds of waiting, it did come to a stop in front of me. I alighted and tap my cute black card on the bus scanner. I chuckled. I just remembered how I got it. It’s pretty cute, quite bizarre. It is not like the ordinary rectangle card. It resembles a cartoon character that I don’t know. I just like that it seems so unique, like it was made in a personalized way. I only remembered how I got it, but honestly, it still feels weird that I can’t remember who gave it to me. I asked unnie, but nah, she is also clueless.

 

I’ve taken my seat on the bus – one near the window. I like looking outside while listening to music or the radio on my phone. And at night, I like watching the moon moves as we go. I forgot the explanation about that scientifically. But I like to think that it is following me, just like how I did when I’m a kid. It makes me feel like I have someone with me. And sometimes, when the sky is dark, the stars can be visible and I have always wanted to watch them twinkle. I have this feeling before, that somehow, somewhere back then, I get to stare at those stars at the back of a pick-up truck. I also did asked unnie about this, but again – nah, she said we haven’t done it, ever. It does make sense though. She hasn’t had a relationship for someone to do that for us, and, it is just last year when she get to learn how to drive.

 

Maybe, it was me. Maybe, it was just me, remembering fragments from my daydreaming moments or from those dreams that I have when I sleep at night.

 

On that note, I should make it quick and tune in on unnie’s radio channel. I glanced at my wristwatch quickly as I scroll down my phone for my favorite channels. KBC, this is where Sowon-unnie is working. I plugged in my earphones, anticipating to hear her voice. I smiled when I catch a song ending that indicates that at least the radio program hasn’t ended yet.

 

“What are you guys doing today? Is anyone listening to KBC’s radio? Although, we might be not that close from each other, we may still actually be curious about each other. Today is a Monday, and it makes me want to ask how you all are doing. I hope you had a good day.”

 

“I’m Kim Sowon, and you’re listening to KBC Radio.”

 

Sowon-unnie stopped talking for a while as the soft radio tune replaced it in the air for seconds. I always listen to this radio program when I go home at this time. Her voice is something that could actually compliment the view outside. It is in the late Autumn, the trees are shedding, nearly welcoming the winter. My eyes caught a brown leaf, finally letting go of the small branch. It swirled through the air for some slow seconds before it sways and gently fall on the small lake near the road.

 

“Now… the time has come again for this segment. I’m going to read some messages sent by our listeners.”

 

I listened to unnie, while I watch the ripples from the light touch of the leaf create another wave. It’s beautiful for me. How a simple action can create an effect and that effect creates another thing. It’s amazing how a simple touch can make something big.

 

“Today’s show has been broadcasted to you live, and so this segment would be too.”

“I asked earlier, ‘When are the times you feel lonely?’ and our dear 7070 said, ‘It is when I turned off the radio and the room was enveloped in silence.’

“Number 2356 said, ‘it is when I cooked a meal, and when I was about to eat, I look in front of me and there is no one.”

“Aww that is really sad sometimes.” Unnie commented.

 

 

“It is the day of hearts soon, but one of our listeners sends us a beautiful phrase, which is, unfortunately, something melancholic. Number 0603 says, ‘Nothing is sadder than meeting the right person at the wrong time, and every time I think about that, I feel the most loneliest person.’”

 

I heard unnie’s reaction on air and some of the crowd on the bus with me. I smiled; Unnie must have done that unknowingly, and probably the crowd felt the same.

 

True enough, the phrase has been used and used a couple of times of people, books, and movies, and yet it still has the same thorn. It pierces through your heart as if you have felt it before. Even before you get to experience love, we kind of know that somehow that feeling really .

 

 “Ah… that...” Sowon-unnie sighed. “That must really make you feel lonely. I just wanted to sit beside you right now.”

 

I think that was probably the tiest joke the universe has played, letting you meet that someone but in a wrong place or time. Because for me, in that matter of time, two souls almost collided. They are like stars at the edges of neighboring galaxies – moving, and about to touch each other. Like lines mimicking asymptotes – never meeting, never touching, yet both can feel the lingering feeling from it.

I winced at the thought. And somewhere, in the crooks of my heart, I found a tiny thorn. It feels as if I did have the same thing but I cannot remember.

 

Oh! Shiz!

I silently cursed at myself.

 

Miss dumb Yerin just missed her stop. I sarcastically congratulated myself as I stood up immediately, and tap my card. I sighed upon sitting on a waiting shed 3 stops after the place where I’m supposed to go. I closed my eyes trying to calm myself. The day isn’t good for me today.

This morning, the taxi that I’m riding stopped halfway through my destination. The taxi driver told me, I just have to take another one since there is something wrong with the engine. Then as an effect, I get to be late on a hiring job event, and unfortunately, I came there seconds after they called my assigned number. So, in short, I’m jobless.

This afternoon, I got my red days, and from all the misfortune I had today, this might probably be the least – I changed my bag last night and I wasn’t able to put a pad for emergency cases like this. Thanks to this hoodie that I just found accidentally on the waiting shed that I got to cover this embarrassing stain on my behind.

I sighed. And it is just Monday.

 

And after that, this happened now. I enjoyed observing the world outside while listening to unnie’s program that I missed my stop.

 

I sighed before turning on my phone and searched where I am and how to go home. As usual, I just have to survive the day. God, it is Monday but why does it feels like my tiredness level has reached Friday?

 

The Google search has finished loading the results and I found one easy way which is just to take the train, go down four stations after and take a short ride to my street. I repeated what I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter