A Wish upon a Star

The Crossroad Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER IV: A Wish upon a Star

 

 

< JUNG EUNBI POV >

 

Do you believe in a wish upon a star?

 

I don’t before. I do not like the idea of letting the stars write my fate. When I was a child I thought I can create my own constellations. But there came a time that changed it.

 

I can still remember the first time I felt my heart beat for someone. For me, it was just the ordinary scene -- No slow motion. No falling or bumping into someone and getting caught in the arms. No spark. Just a simple smile from someone I spent my years of existence with as I grow up. Some might call it a puppy love – a crush. Something that is not quite real. But for me, it is my first love. It was the time my heart is beating for someone else other than me, that it feels like the flowers are blooming differently. The sea reflecting the sun setting seems lovely. And the sound of the rain drops seems to be a music for my ears. I even hum to the tune of the birds perched on the branches. Everything is just so colorful.

 

 

I can still remember that time.

 

 

“You have 40 percent of getting this question wrong. The thing is, If you get it wrong, you’ll get hit.” The professor stated, her eyes are like those of a hawk – too alert for minimal movements. It is as if it is so ready to catch its prey.

 

“If you had that chance. What is the percent that you’ll get safe?” She continued.

 

A loud thud caught the attention of the whole class. My eyes caught what it is. I sort of sighed and chuckled at the same time. It is the usual thing. She is there sleeping on class. And unfortunately, being too much on dreamland won’t do you good. (Well, maybe she had since she gets to be tall.) She had caught the attention of the professor – earning her the bad luck to be called to answer the question. She immediately stood up, hitting her knees accidentally on the edge of the table.

 

“Get this question right and I won’t detain you for sleeping in class.” The professor told her.

“Eyy. Sir, be kind. I’m just dead tired. I don’t intend to sleep but due to all the trainings I have done, my energy is drained.” The taller girl, who had always caught my attention, tried to get away from it. But upon seeing the professor’s disapproval look, she took it back. “No sir. I’m willing to challenge the question.” She hesitantly stated as she pump her fist on the air, as if she is so ready to answer.

 

“Then… there is 20 percent chance you know this question. Again, there is 40 percent chance of getting it wrong. We can say that the punishment is getting hit. What percent will you have to get yourself safe? – well, in our situation, from getting detained.”

 

“C-could you repeat that sir?” The taller girl asked; obviously, just buying more time. However, our professor is cruel enough to do a countdown from five.

 

Clearly affected by the countdown, I saw the panic in her eyes as she just blurted out a number. “Five?”

 

“Five, sir. Five percent.”

 

And I heard the class laugh. She answered wrong. But I can’t dare to laugh. She will get detained for sure, this time.

 

“Anyone who knows the answer?” The professor asked as her eyes roamed again – looking for that hand up in the air, begging for attention.

 

“Yes, Yuna.”

 

I saw Yuna stood up and write lines in the air for a mere 2 to 3 seconds before she stated the answer. She wow-ed the class and even the professor. Indeed, for someone of her age to advance for some year level, this is quite basic for her.

 

She is Choi Yuna, a genius. Basically, that is how I might describe her. We are not that close so I can’t tell much about her. All I know is she is a bit weird – some kind of weird and genius. Quirky?

 

About that person who will now be detained later, she is my childhood friend. Her name is Kim Sojung – a good looking person, yet she lacks some circuits on her brain. She is quite popular for being an athlete though and for being good in speaking.

 

Back then, at that age, we might be young but we are also planting seeds for our dreams. I was one of them, the dreamers. I had a dream. I wanted to let the people hear my voice through the microphone. Either it be from singing, from anchoring, or just hosting. I wanted to reach out to people through that. And, as stupid as it might be, I wanted my voice to reach out to her heart. Everyone, must probably be going on the same thing. It is the teenage years anyway – the years when we get to have our time risking to venture into that field.

 

And I clearly remember the last day I saw everyone.  Because that is the time I realized I’m h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter