XI: Avaritia

The Witch's Mistake

Jisoo reluctantly entered the dim room, her steps quiet as Hosoek led her through a single hallway. The sound of laughter entered her ears as they neared a curtain-covered entrance, cigarette smoke wafted her way as soon as the orange-haired boy lifted the cover for them to enter.

 

Her eyes landed on the dim light fixtures on the walls before shifting towards the group seating on a poker table illuminated by a crystal chandelier. She recognized the faces that smiled as they entered. It was the same group that approached Hosoek when they arrived at the mansion.

 

"They're my friends," Hosoek whispered from behind, pulling her close to him as if to calm the uncomfortable feeling she had upon meeting strangers.

 

"Hosoek! What took you so long?" A man grinned at the sight of them. He had long dark hair reaching the top of his shoulders, a cigarette resting between his middle and index fingers.

 

"Sorry, Jae, I had to stop by somewhere." Hosoek replied, "Did you start?"

 

"Yeah." The blonde lady seated on the right chuckled, taking a sip from her wine glass "Jae has taken my extra cash and Hyunmin's lost one of his cars."

 

"Not my fault you guys kept losing." Jae laughed, putting out the burning residue of his cigar on an ashtray.

 

"Don't get so cocky yet, it was just the first game." Hyunmin, a brown-haired boy with sharp eyes and ear-piercings uttered as he lit his second smoke.

 

"Whose the pretty lady beside you, Hosoek?" Jae asked, eyes locked on Jisoo with interest.

 

"This is my schoolmate" Hosoek grinned, making her sit beside him before proceeding to introduce her to the group.

 

"So, Jisoo..." Hyunmin smiled politely as he shuffled the cards "Are you here to play as well?"

 

"N-no, I'm just-"

 

"She's here to bring me luck," Hosoek answered for her. 

 

He gave her a sunny grin, offering a glass of wine he got from the attendant which she happily accepted to ease her nerves.

 

"What a disappointment." Jae commented, "It's more fun when more people are playing."

 

"I don't really know how to play poker." Jisoo forced a smile, ignoring the fact that the boy was practically leering at her.

 

Her eyes were now fixed on the attendant handing the four players an equal number of chips; 25 blue ones for money on hand, 20 red ones for cash in bank, 5 gold ones for property. Her eyes grew wide as the chips' value was explained.

 

"This... is real money right?" She leaned to whisper on Hosoek's ear.

 

"Of course."

 

Jisoo paled at his answer, eyes fixed on the demon mark on his cheek. The boy host's the sin of 'Greed', why would this poker game be just a normal game between friends?

 

'Is this okay? Should I make him fall asleep now and stop him from gambling?' She thought in worry.

 

'But wouldn't it be questionable if he suddenly passed out just as the game was about to start?'

 

"How much is the wager?" Hosoek asked, eyes locked on the cards as it was dealt.

 

"I'm betting 1 million." Jae panned.

 

Jisoo almost choked on her wine, hastily covering with a tissue before anyone could notice. 'That's a lot of money!'

 

[Est. Amt. ~ ₩1M = $822]

 

"That's a very small bet for someone who just won 20 million and a car on the first game," Hyunmin commented.

 

"My wager doesn't have any effect anyway. Hana's the big blind." Jae replied nonchalantly.

 

"I'll do 2 million then"  Hana, the blonde girl offered with a grin.

 

"Won?" Hyunmin's eyebrow quirked upward "That's smaller than the first game."

 

[Est. Amt. ~ ₩2M = $1.6K]

 

"I'm going to lose all my allowance if I bet more." Hana pouted, giving the brown-haired boy her puppy dog eyes.

 

"Bet something else then" Jae laughed "Like that purse of yours."

 

"Are you kidding me?" Hana glared at him, hugging her branded bag "This is my mom's gift, it was bought in Italy."

 

"Come on, take the 2 million already." The blonde girl whined, sliding 2 blue chips to the center of the table "You can just bet more if you think it's too small."

 

'These guys are no joke.' Jisoo gulped down her drink, her palms were getting sweaty. Why was she feeling nervous anyway? She wasn't the one losing money.

 

"Stop complaining, Hyunmin." Hosoek chuckled as he peeked at his cards. "Let's start the game."

 

"I second that." A smirk tugged on Jae's lips.

 

"Raise the bet next time." Hyunmin grinned, giving the orange-haired boy to his right a hopeful look "Like your apartment in Gangnam."

 

"As if I'd wager that on my first game." Hosoek laughed.

 

Jisoo was on her toes as the game progressed, she didn't know how to play it so she had no idea if the cards on Hosoek's hand was going to make him win or not. 

 

After the final betting round, there were two eight cards, one jack, and one ace. Hana chose to fold his hand. Then the bet was raised to 40 million combined. They were raising the bets so nonchalantly like money was water to them.

 

[Est. Amt. ~ ₩40M = $32.8K]

 

"Damn, I at this," Hana whined, resting her chin on the palm of her hands as they each revealed their cards.

 

Hosoek let out a laugh, opening his two cards to show an eight and a jack. "Full House!"

 

Jisoo sighed in relief at his jubilant expression. Seeing the players' focused expression unknowingly got her pulled into the game as well.

 

"Argh!" Hyunmin slapped his forehead in frustration "I lost again!"

 

"You lost big time." Hana laughed "Why would you raise your bet if you weren't sure you were gonna win?"

 

"I was trying to bluff!" The boy stubbed his cigarette on the ashtray "I didn't know they wouldn't fall for it."

 

"Guess you better change your tactic." Jae chuckled "Since we decided to play with the remaining chips, the stakes for the next game will be high."

 

"Hosoek must be so happy." Hana pouted "I wish I was as good as him."

 

"That's cause I have my lady luck right here." Hosoek nudged the girl beside her softly.

 

Jisoo's cheeks heat up when he threw her a wink "I really didn't do anything."

 

"Ahh...that makes me so jealous," Jae commented, his sly gaze making her uncomfortable. "Let me borrow her next time."

 

Jisoo gazed at him in disbelief, hands clenched angrily as their eyes met. "I am not-"

 

"Hands off, Jae." Hosoek warned, placing an arm around her shoulder "She's mine."

 

"I am what?!" She gaped at the guy beside him. 'How did I become his property?'

 

"Ohhh..." Hyunmin chuckled "Heard that, Jae? You can't have this girl."

 

"An innocent mistake. I didn't know she's taken." Jae raised both hands with a smirk plastered on his face. "Didn't see you as the type of guy to have a serious relationship, Hosoek."

 

"What are you saying?" Hana laughed as she shuffled the cards in her hands for the next game. "Hosoek's greedy, she won't let go of anything he likes. Makes sense that he'll be possessive of her."

 

"G-greedy?" Jisoo's eyes grew wide as he stared at the blonde girl.

 

She recalled Hosoek's words before they entered the room: 'I  can't seem to win against my friends...'

 

'This wasn't the first time Hosoek gambled.' A worried look flashed on Jisoo's face as she turned her head to the orange-haired boy.

 

"You've been gambling?" She uttered.

 

Of course, why did she think the demons would act out only at school? Jimin snatching a purse on the street and Hosoek gambling tonight was evidence enough that they could be controlled by their demons anywhere at any time of the day.

 

"A little." Hosoek whispered, the memory putting a smile on his face "I won an awful lot of money there too."

 

'God' her heart drummed nervously 'What about the other hosts? What did they do on the first night they hosted their demons? What if they're being controlled right this moment as she's keeping an eye on Hosoek?'

 

"Do you not know where we met your boy, honey?" Hana grinned.

 

"We met him at an underground gambling den." Hyunmin explained, "He was winning on any card games the regulars made him play."

 

"They call him a gifted gambler," Jae uttered, blowing the cigarette smoke from his mouth. "Though, not everyone's happy since they lost their money because of him."

 

"Stop talking like I'm the only one who's made some regulars mad." Hosoek retorted "You've been winning there too, I even lost to you."

 

"Once." Jae laughed "Only once."

 

"Let's start the second game then." Hosoek gestured for Hana to start dealing cards "Maybe you'll win for the second time."

 

"I'm not hoping to," Jae left his cigarette on the ashtray before nodding "but go on. I'll wager everything I've won tonight and the remaining chips in my hands."

 

"If I lose this time I'll let you have my apartment in Gangnam." Hosoek voiced. An arrogant smile on his face.

 

"Now this is fun" Hyunmin cracked his fingers excitedly "I'll wager my remaining chips as well."

 

"I'll bet one of my cars then," Hana added.

 

Jisoo felt a shiver run down her spine, it felt like a warning that something very bad would take place if she doesn't do anything to stop the game.

 

She pulled the fabric of the boy's sleeves "I don't think this is right." She whispered, "It's too risky."

 

"Don't worry." Hosoek gave her a reassuring smile "I'll win."

 

"H-how do you know? What if you lose-"

 

Jisoo's words were cut when he suddenly landed a kiss on her cheek "You're my lady luck, aren't you?" He grinned "Why would I lose when you're here?"

 

"Hosoek, you can't just bet your apartment like that."

 

The boy's gaze turned sharp after her sentence, the stoic expression on his face intimidating her "Don't tell me what to do, Jisoo" He panned.

 

"I'm just worried about you." She pleaded.

 

"Look" the boy chuckled leaning in to whisper on her ear "I'll spoil you with anything you want after this game, until then... be a good, pretty girl and sit on your chair."

 

Jisoo bit her lower lip, holding on to the frustrated tears in her eyes as she watched Hosoek turn his attention to the game. She wanted to be angry, to scold him for treating her like property to show off.

 

But how could she even do that? What right does she have to get angry when she's the reason he's acting like this?

 

"Oi, Hosoek, are you okay?" Hyunmin's question took her attention.

 

"It's nothing, just a headache, it's been recurring lately." 

 

Jisoo's eyes grew as the boy massaged his temples, an idea popping inside her head  'That's it!' She sat straight on his seat 'I can use that.'

 

"Somnus." She whispered and watched the host of greed slump on the table, alerting everyone in the room.

 

"Hey, Hosoek!" Jae stood from his seat along with the others, a mixture of worry and confusion plastered on their faces.

 

"Oh, no!" She gasped, acting worried as she asked the attendant for help to support Hosoek up his seat "It must be the headache."

 

"Is there a room where he can rest?" He asked the man.

 

"Yes, right this way."

 

"I-I'm sorry." She glanced back at the group on the table "The game will be ending here." She said before following the security out.

 

Jisoo sighed in relief as she stepped out of the gambling room, the clear, white light of the hallway felt like heaven saving her from the darkness of the abyss they were in earlier.

 

They were led through a door made of beige sandalwood. Inside was a spacious room with windows draped in curtains of gold silk, floor covered in thick brown-colored carpet, and queen-size bed with a soft cotton quilt.

 

"If there is anything you need, please tell the security at the door."

 

"Yes, thank you." She replied, smiling softly at the attendant before he left.

 

Jisoo sat beside the bed, guilty eyes locked on the sleeping Hosoek. She held the boy's hand, brushing the back of his palm with her thumb.

 

"I'm sorry." She uttered, finally letting her tears trickle down her cheeks  "I'm really sorry. I'll take care of this I promise. I'll learn the spell and cast the demons-"

 

The door swayed open startling her, she looked back to see a panting Namjoon enter the room, followed by Jin who was wearing the same worried expression on his face. Both had visible sweat glistening on the side of their foreheads, a proof of them running towards Hosoek's room as soon as they heard the news of their friend fainting.

 

"What happened to him?!" Namjoon asked, his frantic eyes staring at her.

 

Jisoo stood up, hands clasping the chain of her purse to calm herself "H-he suddenly had a headache while playing poker with friends.." she uttered, eyes on the ground.

 

"The doctor the attendant called said he fainted because of the pain."

 

"It's not something critical then, right?" Jin sighed in relief.

 

"Y-yes, the doctor said he just has to take his medicine whenever the recurring headaches come."

 

"Damn it!" Namjoon slammed the table near him, the sound making her flinch.

 

"What's happening to us recently?! It's like someone has a grudge on the three of us and found a way to give us headaches!"

 

"Calm down, Joon." Jin held the guy's shoulder "It's probably just coincidence."

 

"Coincidence?!" Namjoon's forehead creased "You think the three of us having headaches and finding ourselves doing things we normally wouldn't do is a mere coincidence?!"

 

Jisoo froze where she stood, face pale as she watched Namjoon arguing with Jin. She wanted to stop them but the words seemed to be stuck on .

 

What is she going to tell them anyway? Is there a way to explain what's happening to them right now without them freaking out or calling her crazy?

 

"I suggest you lower your voice or you'll wake Hosoek up," Yoongi uttered from the door. They hadn't noticed him enter because of the commotion. "Didn't the doctor said he needs rest?"

 

"W-what are you doing here?" Namjoon uttered in puzzlement. Yoongi usually likes to keep to himself and doesn't talk to anyone unless needed. He's barely even seen at the party even when he attends it.

 

A faint smile escaped the boy's lips "I was passing by and heard the conversation."

 

"You see..." Yoongi continued as he sat on the couch "I'm having headaches too, and somehow also do things I wouldn't do."

 

"Are you serious?" Jin uttered in doubt "This is not something to joke abou-"

 

"Since when did I joke about these kinds of things, Jin?" Yoongi panned "Out of the six of you who stayed in this mansion with me, you're the only one who I talk to. Do you know me to be the joking kind?"

 

"I'm sorry." Jin uttered solemnly "It's just hard to believe you're also having headaches, that would be too much for a coincidence."

 

"You're not the only one who thinks that way," Yoongi spoke. His gaze shifted towards Jisoo, eyeing her with scrutiny "Are you not the girl I met the other day at the school garden?"

 

"I-I-"

 

"You ran away from me that day. Did I do something I shouldn't have?" He asked.

 

"No," Jisoo nervously gripped the skirt of her gown "I was just startled to find you there."

 

"With tears in your eyes?" The boy's eyebrow quirked up in suspicion before a smirk tugged on his lips.

 

"I've heard rumors of a girl being around 'Demian's popular boys' lately, I didn't know it was you." He crossed his arms "Are you sure you're not a spy from one of our parents' business rivals?"

 

"W-what?!" Jisoo's eyes grew wide, shaking her head in horror "No, I didn't even know about Soleil until Hosoek invited me here."

 

"She's not someone's spy."

 

Jimin's voice made everyone turn in his direction. A grim look on his face as he stormed from the door towards her.

 

"Jimin-"

 

"I told you to wait for me at the table." He scolded "Look what you got yourself into."

 

"I asked her to come with me." Hosoek voiced as he stirred from his sleep. He sat up the bed, massaging his aching temples before a faint guilty smile curved on his lips. "It's not her fault."

 

"Why exactly would you bring her with you?" Jimin spat "You guys aren't even close-"

 

"I was just curious." Hosoek explained, "I wanted to know how she suddenly got close with you and Jungkook and how he had Taehyung's attention too. The three of you are friendly but you're all known to be very cautious of trusting people."

 

"Stop lying!" Jimin's jaw clenched as he grabbed Hosoek's collar, his action causing Jisoo to pull the brown-haired boy away.

 

"Stop it!" Namjoon stepped forward, eyes sharp with anger "Are you crazy?! Hosoek just woke up from fainting!"

 

"No!"Jimin hissed "He's acting as if he cares about Soleil, and whatever this group is but he's just playing around!"

 

"What do you mean?" Jin uttered in confusion.

 

"If he's really just curious about Jisoo then why did he take her to a gambling room?" Jimin pointed at Hosoek accusingly "I've talked with security and the guests he was with weren't even in the original list, they're heirs of rich gamblers who cheat and con people! One of them even has a record of ual harassment!"

 

"What?" Hosoek's eyes grew wide at the boy's words, its as if he just heard the information for the first time.

 

"What do you mean what?!" Jimin spat "What were you thinking, bringing Jisoo with you in that room?!"

 

"I don't know-"

 

"You don't know?!"

 

"Shut up!" Hosoek grabbed his head in frustration "I told you I don't know what you're talking about. I was going to talk to her when I saw her at the foyer but I had my headache and the next thing I knew I was in that gambling room."

 

"You know me, Jimin." He said, pleading to be understood "I would never do that."

 

The thunderous sound of crashing vases followed by violent shouts in the hallway took their attention.

 

"W-What's happening out there?" Jin asked the security by the door.

 

The man looked troubled, eyes glinting with hesitation as he replied: "It's Mr.Jeon Jungkook and Mr.Kim Taehyung, Sir." He said, "They seem to be having an argument."

 

"What?!" 

 

A second passed before everyone rushed out of the room, their frantic eyes searching for only two people. A gasp escaped Jisoo's mouth, her reaction making everyone turn towards the scene her wide eyes were fixed at.

 

Only one thing registered on her brain: Blood.

 

_______________

A/N: To my readers, I will tell you honestly, I do not know how to play poker 🤣 So I am sorry if the game didn't make sense 🤣

Still, I hope you had fun reading this chapter! 💜