Chapter 2

Once Upon A Time In A Royal Castle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene opened her book and found a note on it. To see it privately, she went to the restroom.

"This is my number..."

"Who's this?" Irene tilts her head.

Out of curiosity, she took her phone and called the number. In just a few seconds, the owner picked it up.

"Uhm... hello?" Irene awkwardly greeted the person on the phone.

She heard nothing but noise then suddenly, the person hanged up.

"Is this a prank or something?" Irene raises her eyebrow. Her phones notifies her that the owner of the number texted her.

"Irene, this is me, Seulgi."

Knowing it was Seulgi who put the note on her book, Irene felt really special all of a sudden. She had this weird, unexplainable yet likeable feeling.

Irene: I thought it was a prank. How did you even manage to put a note on my book? That was so fast of you.
Seulgi: I've been trying for a few days now and I only succeeded today, to be honest. I'm glad I did and thank you for not ignoring my unnamed letter. I thought leaving it unnamed would make things safer for us.
Irene: It's okay, I clearly understand.
Seulgi: Want to sneak out again tonight for some hot noodles?
Irene: Have you tried hot choco from vending machines?
Seulgi: Never.
Irene: Let's have that instead, then. See you tonight. I mean, later at room. Or maybe.. later in the castle? I don't know what to say. This is embarrassing.
Seulgi: The teacher's here now. Better get back.

Irene kept her phone in her pocket and went back to the classroom. They looked at each other and smiled as she enter.

"Irene.." Wendy calls her with the loudest whisper she could.

Irene looked at her direction and asked why.

"Can I see your homework? I need to do it before she asks us to pass it", said Wendy.

"Is she serious?!"

Irene writes something and gives her notebook to her.

"Thank you!" Wendy smiles cheerfully.

When Wendy opened the notebook, she saw what Irene wrote a few seconds ago.

"Homeworks must be done at HOME."

"Seriously, like a mom." Wendy chuckled.

"Who was that?" The teacher asked.

Wendy thought nobody would answer but Vanessa, her classmate she defended Irene from, spoke and said, "That was Irene."

"Wait, me?" Irene asked.
"Yes. You suddenly laughed while looking at your phone."
"I don't even have my phone!" Irene shows her hands.
"Because you already hid it in your pocket."

Vanessa was at the restroom earlier when Irene went out the cubicle, that's why she saw her put her phone in her pocket.

"Please show me what's inside your pocket, Ms. Bae."

Seeing the lump on Irene's pocket, Wendy worried Vanessa must be right about her phone being in her pocket, so she stood up and admitted her mistake.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Kim. It was actually me. My mom's note on my notebook made me laugh" said Wendy.

"Did she just call me mom?" Irene's eyes got big.

"Again, Wendy? How many times do I have to tell you not to make noise and focus on listening while I'm teaching?"
"I'm sorry, Ms. Kim. I'll go out now and receive my punishment." Wendy goes out.

"Before I continue with this, Vanessa, why did you have to lie about the person who laughed being Irene?"
"Because... Because... It was really her! Wendy just defended her cousin! You know her! She defends everyone even though she might be in trouble for that!"

"It was really Wendy, though."
"Yeah, I heard it too."
"I even saw her."

Their other classmates agreed.

"Okay, silence. Vanessa, see me after class."

"Why does she act like she hates Irene so much? It's not like Irene has done anything offensive to her." Seulgi wondered.

After classes, Irene rushed out to check on Wendy. She found her sleeping in front of their room while sitting. She chuckled and shook her arm slightly.

"Time to go, Wendy. Get up", said Irene.
"Is she okay?" Seulgi asked.
"Yes, she just fell asleep", Irene answered.

Wendy yawned and stretched her arms. As soon as she open her eyes, it was Irene's face she saw.

"Wow..." Wendy wasn't able to keep herself from saying it.

"Wow?" Irene raises her eyebrow.

Wendy shook her head and said, "Let's go. Where's Seulgi?"
"I'm here."

Wendy looks at her and asks, "Can you not tell mom?"

"I never did."
"How about you?" Wendy tries to acts cute towards Irene.
"I-- I don't know." Irene answered.

Wendy pouts sadly.

"Okay, okay, I won't. You kind of got me into trouble again but at the same time you saved my life, so okay."
"Yay!!" Wendy hugs Irene.

Her sudden action shocked both Irene and Seulgi.

Seulgi doesn't know why, but she wants to take her sister's arms off Irene.

"We better go now", said Seulgi.
"Uh, yes, you're right." Wendy stands up.

While walking behind them, Irene held her chest. Her heart was beating really fast.

"She really shocked me."


------------------------------------------------

"How was your day, Princess Seulgi and Princess Seungwan?" Mrs. Gazel asked.

"Good! Right, Irene?" Wendy winks at her.
"Huh? Why ask me?"

Irene suddenly realized that they are already in the palace and not the school or their home.

"I, I mean, hehe, yes, right." Irene smiles awkwardly.

Mrs. Gazel saw the shock on Irene's face when Wendy asked her right away and asked, "Did anything happen?"

"Nothing, of course! What could even happen now that Seulgi and I are studying hard?" Wendy lied.
"Are you sure you're not lying?" Mrs. Gazel asked her with a serious tone.
"She's telling the truth. Nothing unusual really happened." Seulgi defended her.
"That's good. I'll be heading out now. Irene, see me on the music room after getting changed."
"Yes, Mrs. Gazel." Irene bows.

As soon as Mrs. Gazel leave the room, Wendy looked at Irene, shaking her head.

"You're a really bad actress", said Wendy.

"If you're just not a princess I would have... ugh! Why make me lie?! I'm not a bad actress but a bad liar, okay!"

Wendy walks towards her and look into her eyes.

"By any chance, are you badmouthing me inside your head?" Wendy asked.
"I'm not, your highness." Irene looked down to avoid eye contact with Wendy.

Wendy pats her shoulder and says, "You're really bad at this."

"Did she just see through me? I think I should train myself and learn how to act now." Irene told herself.

As the princesses change their clothes together, Seulgi suddenly asked Wendy if she's mad at Irene.

"I'm not. She's a bad actress and she likes badmouthing me but I don't care. I still like her", Wendy answered.
"Like her?" Seulgi asked.
"Not THAT way, silly!" Wendy laughs out loud.
"Oh, sorry. I forgot we're 'princesses' now. I have to be graceful again" Wendy whispered.
"This is really hard, isn't it? I just want to be a normal citizen to be honest", said Seulgi.

Her words made Wendy stop from moving.

"Is that really you?" Wendy asked.
"What do you mean?"
"I think that's the most honest thing I've heard from you! Way to go, sis! Learn to be more free!" Wendy cheered on her.
"Unless we're inside the palace." Wendy whispered once again.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter