FIRST TEASER

  THREE NATIONS  /  APPLY OPEN

first teaser

‹ REMARKABLE NATION, UNDETERRED BY THE WORLD ›

 

"Kill him."

Silence fell through the courtroom. Everyone had been too stunned to speak. No, that's wrong. No one dared speak a word against King Rowen of Argilia. If his verdict is to kill, then that shall be done.

"Your highness! Please forgive him, he is only a child. He did not know the wrong he had committed." A commoner man, pleading for the life of his son. The son, snot-nosed and messy headed, was caught stealing from the royal pantry. King Rowen stood up from the throne and looked down at the crowd watching intently.

"Your words mean you volunteer your life in his place, is that right?" Unfaltered, King Rowen did not pass a glance towards the father. His eyes were set on the young boy who was too scared to even utter a single noise - let alone word. The King had found it strange. The boy should be pleading for his life, not his father.

"Your majesty!" The father cried, falling to his knees. His voice was desperate, but... he had not once offered his own life for his son's. Both the King and Prince took notice of it.

The Crown Prince, Xerxes, stood behind his father. His sharp eyes peered down at the young boy. No one dared steal, especially from the royal palace. It was such a strange occurrence. Besides, weren't parents supposed to protect their children? Pathetic. This man is not willing to stake his life for his very own son's. 

"Royal Knights, please dispose of this child at once." King Rowen ordered. Despite the knights feeling uneasy about killing a child, they knew better than to falter at the orders given by the king. 

Xerxes closed his eyes as the child's shrill cry echoed throughout the courtroom. As the child pleaded for his father to save him, it struck an old memory in Xerxes' mind.

Father... Why...

His expression instantly soured. "Halt."

The royal knights held a firm grip on the boy, but stopped their preparations of execution. All eyes fell on Xerxes. King Rowen turned and peered at his son, his eyes read that of impatience.

"Father, I do not want to see bloodshed on my last day here. Stop this at once." Xerxes said promptly, walking over to the knights and forcing them to release the child. He placed his hand on the boy's shoulder. 

"Xerxes, you dare go against my word?"

"The child will grown up under my reign one day, not yours, Father." Xerxes replied, kneeling down to be eye level with the boy. "Now, where does your loyalty reside?" 

The boy looked into the Prince's eyes. They were not as piercing as the King's, but they were definitely as scary. 

"T-To you..." The boy whispered.

"Right answer. Now do you wish to tell my father what really happened?" 

The boy shook his head quickly. 

"Oh? Even if it means you'd be out of trouble?" 

The boy continued to shake his head.

"Very well. I assume it would be alright to take your father's life as punishment then, right?" Xerxes smirked, lifting himself up off the ground and shifting his gaze towards the father. 

"No!" The boy went and grabbed Xerxes' cloak, tugging him away from his father.

"Ah. So you'd protect your father when he failed to protect you." Xerxes noted aloud. The boy stubbornly puffed out his cheeks while the father winced. King Rowen remained silent in the exchange. "We will be taking the child into custody. He will be raised by the royal knights."

Almost instantly, the knights once again picked up the child and began to drag him away. The boy let out a cry once more as he reached out towards his father.

"Please, no!" The father begged. "He is my only son."

"If you cared for your only son, you wouldn't put him up to tasks that would get him killed. You don't deserve him." Xerxes said before turning away. "I will continue my training for the day, father, please do with him as you wish."

As the door closed with both the boy and Xerxes gone, King Rowen turned to the father once more.

"Kill him."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Perhaps you do have it in you to be king."

Xerxes was training, swinging a sword around. Sweat dripped down his body as he heard the familiar voice. Lowering his sword, he left out a loud huff as he tried to catch his breath. His father stood behind him, his head tilted as he studied his son's form.

"Wha-"

"Your form is sloppy, Xerx." King Rowen commented. Xerxes scowled as he looked down at his sword. He found the sword to be too light of a weapon. He much prefered something heavier. "You best retire the sword while at Grecina. We can't have other nations know the Crown Prince of the great nation of Argilia can't wield such a basic weapon." There were sharp words in his sentence. 

"I doubt anyone would raise taunts at me. I am the first magic wielder in our royal bloodline, so I am sure that is impressive enough, plus I am beyond proficient wielding an axe." The prince countered, walking over and handing the sword back up on the wall.

"Very well." His father conceded, knowing it to be true. Their family only possessed warriors - the strongest as if they were destined to lead their country. Argilia only grew in size due to their family conquering other countries. That is, until King Rowen's father formed an alliance with the other countries. Rowen had his thoughts about the alliance, but stayed quiet and figured it would be alright to play nice for now. "I trust you will be on your best behavior."

Xerxes rolled his eyes, hiding the action behind his arm as he wiped his sweat with his shirt sleeve. "Yes, I will bring honor to the Ateria name." 

His father nodded, happy his son said what he had wanted to hear.

"Your going away party starts soon." King Rowen spoke, turning around and looking up at the brick walls. The castle was well enforced.

"I think I will pass." Xerxes spoke, catching up with his father. 

"Oh? Are parties not your thing?"

"I hardly believe parties are fitting for the Argilia Empire." 

The king looked down and softly smiled. His son continues to grow everyday. He couldn't ask for a more proud citizen of their empire. "Very well. I will entertain our guests and brag about how you will carry Grecina Academy on your back." 

Xerxes grinned as he opened the door for his father to exit. "I will let our empire's presence be known." King Rowen looked at his son in the eyes and placed his hand on Xerxes's shoulder. He admired his son once more in silence before leaving the room. 

With his father gone, Xerxes silently closed the door and slumped down onto the brick floor. He looked up to the array of weapons that adorned the wall. He excels in combat and yet...

He sighed once more after a few moments had passed. Tomorrow is the day he leaves for Grecina Academy. It may only be a school in appearance, but every royalty knows attending is a huge deal. Not only to meet others your age from the other countries, but also to see the royalty. If the royal princes or princess do not make a proper impression for these years, their country will be viewed as weak and well, the alliance is in place but there are those who are trying to tear it apart. Xerxes knew that all too well.

He stood up and dusted off his clothes both from the dirt on the ground and the sweat that was starting to stick to his clothes. Tomorrow is the day his fate changes.

He took a couple steps back towards the weaponry and tripped on his way over.

 
 

ghughguh i am so sorry omg it has been so long but wow look at this, we are back in action!! i hope the people who applied before are still around... but i am still accepting applications wa, so like. mwah. also if there are errors i will cry so pls be nice. i love this story so see, we back again <3