LSS

Acronyms

 

LSS - Last Song Syndrome

 

 

 

 

It's the weekend. Music night. The cafe' is filled with customers. She went up the mini stage and grabbed the microphone. After a very short introduction, she started to sing. 

 

"Today, today bet my life
You have no idea
What I feel inside
Don't, be afraid to let it show
For you never know
If you let it hide"

 

Some draw their attention to her, others kept minding their own business. She's gotten used to this to the point that she doesn't really care at all. She doesn't mind who's listening, she just sings. With all her heart. 

 

"I love you, you love me
Take this gift and don't ask why
Cause if you, will let me
I'll take what scares you and hold it deep inside..."

 

It's her part-time job but she loves it so much. She loves singing so much. She's glad that she is able to share her talent and get paid too. But more than that, she believes thar music connects people. A simple song can mean a lot to a person. You can touch lives, you can recall memories, you can get hurt, you can relate one way or another.

 

"...And if you, ask me why,
I'm with you and why I'll never leave
Love will show you everything

 


One day,
When youth is just memory
I know,
You'll be standing right next to me"

 

There are songs that you can't get out of your head and there are some that you don't want to listen to again. There are some songs you want to sing along with while some you want to just close your eyes and feel it's melody and lyrics. For her, she doesn't mind the genre. But tonight, it's something mellow. Since it's the love month, she was asked to sing a ballad.

 

"My love will show you, everything
Our love will show us everything"

 

After singing the last line, she opened her eyes then smiled. She said thank you and stepped down from the stage. 

Part-time job is over.

Chaewon heads home.

 

 

 

 

"Don't you have any other songs?", Nako asked her roommate who's been playing one song since she got to their apartment.

"I can't get enough of this song. It's so...beautiful...", her roommate replied.

"It is beautiful. But it has been playing for over a hundred times now."

"That's exagerrating. It helps me relax, sentimental..."

"Okay. I'll let it pass just for today. Tomorrow, you put your headphones or airpods on if you still want to listen to that same song."


It's confirmed. Nako's roommate got a Last Song Syndrome (LSS). She acquired it from the cafe' she went in to over the weekend. Nako tried her best to prevent herself from getting infected too. 

After a couple of days, Nako observed that her roommate is not playing music anymore. Atleast not in speaker. She wanted to check if her roommate still got LSS. She approached her one time while the latter was quietly browsing her phone with airpods on. Nako snatched one airpod to listen to the song that's playing. It didn't take long before she returned it. Her roommate grinned. She still has it. Nako walked away and let her roommate be. 


'Love will show you everything'


Nako read silently. She held her laughter. Even her roommate's caption on her Instagram post is the title of that song. She tried to remember when is the last time she had a last song syndrome too.  She then realized that her roommate's actions are pretty normal when you're in that state. You can't stop listening, humming and singing to that song whenever and wherever you are. Using different platforms to listen to it, and even finding ways to subtly share it to others. 


How long will the syndrome last?


It depends to the person. To each his own. There's no specific time table. I guess you can say that it ended when you have a new song that you can't get out of your system. It doesn't really 'end'. There's no cure. You'll just acquire another strain, another song that will trigger your LSS.

 

 

 

 

The following week, Chaewon was invited to her friend's wedding. Of course, she was also asked to sing. During the reception, she was called in front to serenade the newly weds. A round of applause and some cheers welcomed her. She said her greetings to the couple and addressed the guests as well. 


"Today, today I bet my life..."


The moment she sang the first line, one of the guests looked at her. That particular guest was seated at the back so she stood up to get a better view of Chaewon. Once she saw her, she sat again. She looked at her phone and went to her playlist. She smiled. That's it. She has had a last song syndrome with that song. She turned her eyes on front and watch Chaewon sing it beautifully. 

 

'Is that her?', she kept telling herself.

'The voice is really similar...'

'...but she looks different.'

 

After the song number, the guests teased for more. Chaewon just smiled as she went back to her table. The reception went on. Chaewon stood up and headed to the dessert table. She was busy picking some sweets when she noticed someone was beside her. She glanced momentarily then went on to fill her small plate.


"You sang it beautifully...", someone spoke.


Chaewon stepped back and faced the person beside her.


"Thank you!", she replied.

"I had a last song syndrome with that song."

"Really?"

"Yeah... I had it on repeat in my playlist."

"I love that song. I always sing it."

"It started when I heard it in a cafe'..."


Chaewon paused.


"Every weekend they have this music night. Someone sang it there. When I heard it, I immediately searched it up. I felt like it's the most beautiful song I heard... Actually, I was at the back when you sang earlier, I honestly thought that it was you. But..."

"It was me", Chaewon replied.

"What?"

"At the cafe'. It's me."

"But you look different...no, you're similar..."


Chaewon smiled.


"Ah! You cut your hair short."


Chaewon nodded.


"What's your name?", the girl asked.

"Chaewon. You?"

 

 

 


"Sakura."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-END-

 

 

 

 

 

 

#IZONE_FIESTA

#아이즈원과_함께하는_매순간이_피에스타

 

They are finally coming back. 😭

We'll be having LSS soon. ☺