Chapter 2

A Journey Together

 

“OH! YOU!”

 

“Why? Do you know her?” the representative asked. Kibum turned to his new assistant. “We were at the same eatery last night and her friend was very drunk,” he said. Her head was tilted to the side, as if to give a puzzled look. He quietly exhaled and continued, “But she managed to bring her friend out of the eatery by herself.” Her head tilted up straight and looked at him, confused. ‘Why didn't he mention about the accident?’

 

“Well, so you’ve seen how she can handle people. It should be cake then, for you two to get along,” the representative said nonchalantly. “You two should get going. Don’t you have filming, Kibum?”

 

“Neh. Annyeonghi gyeseyo,” Kibum bowed to his superior. Hyojin bowed too and followed behind Kibum as they head out of the office. There was silence in the car, as they head to the filming site. Kibum was reading a book as Hyojin observed Kibum. She noticed that he had quite heavy eye bags. It was probably from yesterday’s late night. “Are you done staring at me or am I just so handsome?”

 

She turned her head to face the front, before slowly turning back to Kibum. “D-don’t you need rest? You were up late last night and y-you kinda have ey-eye bags,” she said cautiously. He put down the book and looked at her. “So you DO remember last night’s events,” he said as he turned his body to face her. She looked down guiltily. “Thanks for not ratting me out. But may I ask why you didn’t tell the representative what really happened?”

 

He plopped back onto his seat with a nonchalant look and continued reading. “You said you’ll pay back, and you’re my assistant. So naturally you’ll handle that mess. No use making such a big fuss. After all, YOU’LL wash the clothes YOURSELF, until they look all clean and new. Seems like you’re already off to bad start as my assistant.”

 

She closed her eyes and let out a sigh. “I understand, but can you do me a favor? As much as you may like reading, can you do it when you have more energy? I’m worried about your health right now. Too little sleep is not good for an entertainer. Please give me the book and have a nap until we get to the place,” she asked with her hand stretched out a little. He scoffed and continued reading his book. Suddenly, he saw a hand right next to his book. He looked away from the book and turned to her. She was serious. “Please. Don’t do it because I asked. Do it for yourself.”

 

He thought back to the past year that he had been with his manager hyung. It wasn’t until the 5th month that hyung actually mentioned about resting instead of reading. Even then, Kibum didn’t listen. He eventually gave in out of respect and the need to not listen to hyung’s nagging anymore. He thought that he could get away this time since he has a new assistant. ‘Hmm, but she seems to be serious. Nah. Continue reading.’ He gently pushed her hand back towards her and continued reading. He heard a sigh before his book started to get further away from him. “Ya mwohaneungeoya?!” She was taking the book away from him! “Kim Kibum-ssi, please rest. If you don’t do it yourself, then I’m afraid I’ll have to take the book away by force then.” With that, she snatched the book away and put it behind her, under her shirt. He plunged towards her and tried to get the book from behind her back. “! MOLEST!”

 

The van came to a sharp stop and the driver turned around to look at the pair. Kibum saw the shocked look on the driver’s face and looked back to Hyojin. She had her hands on her chest and a fearful look on her face. He grimaced and went back to his seat. “Hyung, you know I won’t do anything to her!” The driver looked at Kibum with his eyebrow raised. He turned back to the front and restarted the engine.

 

Kibum glared at Hyojin. All she did was look down and keep her hands behind her back, where the book was hiding under her blouse. He angrily plopped into a comfortable position and closed his eyes. Without any other effort needed, his head started to drop to the side continuously. Hyojin saw the drooping head, so she unbuckled her seat belt and attempted to adjust the seat backwards slowly.

 

FLOP! Kibum sat right up. “Choesonghaeyo! Choesonghaeyo!” she bowed repeatedly. In his blur state, he waved his hand at Hyojin and shifted into a comfortable position on the laid back seat. She went back to her seat and buckled on her seatbelt. “Komawoyo.” She turned to him. His eyes were still closed, as his arms were crossed in a cozy manner. “You were right. I needed the rest.”

 

‘Huhhhh If only this happened with the team,’ she thought as she stared at the sleeping actor. She glanced at the title of Kibum’s book. ‘Boook on Eck-ting. Eem-pro-v-… Ugh why is this in English?’ Looking back at him, she smiled to herself. ‘At least I’m getting somewhere with him. Han Hyojin, fighting!’