Two

The Promise

2

How do you even begin describing Doyeon? Shes literally an angel. Its her third year as the cheerleading captain(she is in her Junior year),good heart,good face,popular you get the gist. Why would Lucas trade Doyeon with her? She was okay with Lucas’ past girlfriends. But this time? Doyeon? She felt like the world slumped on her shoulders,crushing the tiny hope that she could be with Lucas. 

“Hey babe. You must be Yuqi right?” She gave Lucas her brightest smile Yuqi could feel she was going blind. Damn it,why does everything about her have to be perfect. She was so caught up in everything Doyeon that she forgot she was being asked.

“Ah,you got it.” She extended her arm for a handshake and let out an awkward chuckle Lucas could only look at her in disbelief. This was nervous Yuqi who wants to be out of the situation. But why? Lucas thought. 

“Shall we eat? Yuqi what do you want,the usual?” 

 

Doyeon and Lucas sat beside each other while Yuqi is silently situated infront of Lucas.

Doyeon observed that the two has this routine where Lucas lets Yuqi open his bottled water and then giving her his yogurt which she assumes he didn’t like. 

“Wow they’re serving my favorite yogurt today.” She exclaimed, breaking their rhythmic dance.  They both look at Doyeon then to each other. Communicating through their eyes, Lucas retracted and turned his attention to Doyeon. 

“Oh really? Noted.” He just smiled,never bothering to take his yogurt away from Yuqi. Doyeon could only smile back. 

Unlike Lucas who was his usual confident,goofy self, Yuqi sensed tension. Luckily Minnie passed by so she excuses herself throwing some lame excuse to go and eat with her.Lucas temporarily watched Yuqi’s retreating back and then turned to face Doyeon. 

“So about later..”

 

—-

“Hey you’ve been silent since forever. Its not you. Is something wrong?” Minnie inquired as they were walking back to their classroom. 

“Oh nothing, its just that Lucas is dating Kim freaking Doyeon. I mean, how could you compete with her?” She felt defeated. Minnie and Yuqi have been close friends since they entered high school. And she is the only soul who knows that Yuqi has been “crushing” (as Yuqi would say it) on Lucas but Minnie knows its more than that. It took all of Minnie’s strength and constant badgering to let Yuqi admit to her feelings for Lucas.  Fine!But just a crush. Was all Yuqi said when all of a sudden Lucas started dating. She’ll let Yuqi figure her feelings out. Besides, she knows something but its been fun watching the two throwing jealous fits. 

“I mean I would also date her if I were  a boy. Nows really the time you should give up . Shes way on top of you.” Minnie teased, emphasizing the last part. It was so hard not to laugh when she literally saw Yuqi’s face turn bright red.

“This is me. See you later.” Yuqi did not even spare Minnie a glance as she entered her classroom. 

 

Yuqi did not expect to see Lucas inside the classroom so soon. After all, they still have 30 minutes left before lunch time is over. She eyed him being perfectly still,so peaceful it just made her wanna rest under his arms. Oh my this is some sever crushing. She thought to herself.

She sat in front of Lucas who was busy gazing outside the window. 

“Aren’t you back so soon?” Lucas stopped facing the window and turned towards her with an unreadable expression. Eyes blank and mouth tightly closed. Somehow this image of Lucas left an unsettling feeling inside her. Far from the peaceful form a while ago.

“Oh uhm,is everything fine with me dating Doyeon?”

Yuqi was taken aback. She did not expect that coming. Before all the color drained from her face she quickly redirected her attention and then scoffed. 

“Why wouldn’t I?” 

“That does not answer my question.”  

Since when did Lucas become witty? She internally hissed. Her heart tells her that its time. Time to tell him the truth, time to tell him that to this day she remembers his promise and will do anything to honor it. But her little head reasons with her that he is gonna reject her. For Doyeon. For Kim perfect Doyeon. After that she’ll lose the only thing thats connecting her to him. Friendship. 

 

“Do you..like me Yuqi? I mean me.. in a not a friend way?”Lucas leaned in closer. Eyes intently on Yuqi. Their faces were inches apart and for her, it felt like there was no onle else around except them. No they,just them. She wished that they could stay like this forever but fear got the better of her. 

 

It was barely audible but Lucas heard probably the most dehumanizing word in the english language. 

 

“No.” 

 

Yuqi choked. In the end, logic triumphed over emotions.