One

The Promise

1.

The chilling winter air blows as the rays of the sun slowly sets,darkness starting to envelope the town.Lucas was kicking sands in the playground where he’s been stuck with Yuqi who has been sulking for the past hour. He was getting impatient and at 4 in the afternoon,it was already getting dark. 

“Would you stop crying?” Lucas cussed a hundredth time. He was visibly pissed for he can stop the melancholy of his best friend and classmate Yuqi.He don’t fancy seeing her so sad and blue. Although his condescending manner of comforting seems to make her cry even harder.

“How can I? He’d rather play with some other kid than me.” replied the sobbing Yuqi. The usually bright girl’s eyes are now all red and swollen from all the crying. 

“I am all alone” she added. 

Lucas immediately stopped what hes doing,sat down beside her ,looked right into the most beautiful pair of orbs he has ever seen and tried to reply as reassuring as possible.

“You have me. I will never play with other people than you. Heck I even promise to marry you!” He said as the familiar trace of crimson red slowly filled his cheeks. How can this girl think she is alone. He is not going anywhere. 8 year old Lucas was bewildered. At that time he could never think of a world without Song Yuqi, his best friend in it. 

It seems to work when Yuqi stopped crying and she turned towards him. With watered eyes she smiled.Still in disbelief but nevertheless,trusted Lucas’ words.

“Really?You promise?”

 

“I promise.” Shuffling Yuqi’s locks.

*****

Yuqi never forgot,will never forget that day. The way the cold winter breeze blew Lucas’ hair. Or how the setting sun reflected on his eyes. Especially not the way Lucas beamed her his most beautiful smile. He promised to be with her forever, to marry her. And she believed him. Ever since that moment, Yuqi never looked for any other guys. She only has her eyes set for him,her best friend,her Lucas. 

But it appears that the latter thinks otherwise.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Yanan sat in front of her,interrupting her thoughts.  

Ah Yanan, Yuqi isn’t oblivious to the fact that the President of the student council is enamored by her. To say frankly, she should be thankful that one of the most popular boys is mad about her. Yanan is the type of guy where you have one look at him and you’d be planning your wedding. Tall,silent type hottie who has this in a good way feminine face,you just know for a fact that he is a gentleman.He is no stranger to numerous girls confessing to him but he always has an excuse to not date them. She knew it was because of her, heck everyone who knows them knew it too. Aside from being a consistent top student and part of the student council, she was practically no one. Who would notice this bespectacled,poodle haired cutie? Yanan did. And she has conflicting feelings about it.

Though she sure has a lot of haters for a no one. In addition to being Yanan’s apple of the eye, she is also best friend’s with the campus’ number one heartthrob, Huang Xuxi a.k.a Lucas. 

“Uhm,lunch?” She said giving Yanan an awkward smile.Yuqi internally cursed her naturally red cheeks and their very close proximity, girls from all direction gave her the deadliest glare of all glares.She hurriedly took some distance,busying herself by fixing her table. 

“Great me too. Since its out there,mind if I join you?” 

Unbeknownst to her, Lucas had long been observing them. He stood tall by the doorway keeping an eye on Yanan and noting how close his proximity is to Yuqi. He took a deep breath and called on to her.

“Hey Song!” They directed their attention to Lucas who looks like he is about to skin someone alive. 

He sported his best smile but his eyes betrayed him.”Sorry buddy but shes going with me. “ he then eyed Yuqi and added,” I’d like you to meet someone.”

Yuqi can only give Yanan an apologetic smile.

 

“So who am I meeting this time? You’ve dated lots of women that i lost track of all their names.” Yuqi tried her hardest not to sound so bitter. If she succeeded,only Lucas knows. Ever since sophomore year started, Lucas has been parading his, as Yuqi would say and sorry for the term, bimbos in front of her. Again, she don’t wanna sound bitter but if you’d go to school with full make and half your showing, then congratulations, you earned the title. 

 

“She finally agreed to go out with me. Later we’ll have dinner. But of course, you’re my best friend and She has to run by you first.” 

Maybe it was the way he smiled,so proud and somehow menacing or how the wind made his hair dance to the rhythm. Because although shed be meeting another girlfriend of his, his words made her heart flutter. But then again, he was just his best friend. 

 “So who is it this time?” She said almost rolling her eyes. 

“Its- Oh, Doyeon here!” 

As Lucas waved enthusiastically to the incoming girl, Yuqi felt like she was slowly becoming ice. No. Not her. Not Kim Doyeon. 

How can she hate this perfect human being?