Fin.

my ears are sensitive (kiss me better?)

Lee Chaeryeong was deathly afraid of loud noises. 

 

Her ears were quite sensitive (just like she was about how they looked) and she was a jumpy and innocent baby to top it all off. 

 

Her biggest fear was thunder. 

 

Everything about it was terrifying. The way it sounded, the way it looked, the damage it could do. Everytime it rained while Chaeryeong was out she would worry that it would turn into a thunderstorm. 

 

This particular thunderstorm, came out of nowhere. 

 

Chaeryeong was getting ready to walk home from school after a meeting with the art committee, minding her own business, until she found a rain drop land onto her shoulder. And another. And another. Until the sky had turned grey and and drops of rain were hitting the entirety of the carpark. 

 

Chaeryeong saw it before she heard it. The bright light clapping through the clouds. Her heart sunk when she realised what would come next.

 

Crack!

 

Chaeryeong let out a scream and her hands flew straight to her ears. In her terror, she tended to fall onto the ground.

 

‘No, why me?’ She whimpered to herself as she stayed seated with her back up against the wall of the school. She was under the covered area so she was sheltered from the rain, at least. But, Chaeryeong couldn’t care less about getting wet, it was just the damn loud thunderstorm.

 

Oh, how Chaeryeong wished she went for her driver’s license. Their family had two cars that could be shared around, anyways. 

 

‘Are you okay?’ 

 

Chaeryeong looked up to see a girl looking at her with an eyebrow raised, as if she was genuinely confused as to what Chaeryeong was doing on the ground. 

 

‘What does it look like?’ Chaeryeong snapped. Even though she was a jumpy, innocent baby, it didn’t mean she didn’t have an attitude. 

 

She let out another whine as the thunder cracked again. 

 

‘It looks like you’re scared of thunderstorms.’ The girl replied, her expression still the same. Although, if Chaeryeong looked closely she’d be able to see that the girl was smirking slightly to herself. 

 

‘You’re so smart.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Now can you leave me alone?’ 

 

The girl chuckled. 

 

‘You’re cowering in fear but you want to be left alone?’ 

 

Chaeryeong shot her a glare. ‘I only want the company of someone who is here to comfort me.’ 

 

‘Hey, I never said I’m not going to comfort you. I asked you if you were okay, didn’t I?’

 

‘Whatever.’ Chaeryeong huffed. 

 

The girl chuckled and sat down next to Chaeryeong, her feet together but her knees slightly apart. She hugged them with her arms. If Chaeryeong wasn’t preoccupied she’d probably think the girl looked extremely attractive at that moment. 

 

‘I like to think that thunderstorms are just the angels vibing at a concert.’ The girl said. She closed her eyes and hummed when another thunderstorm hit. ‘Yessss, that bass! You go, Gabriel.’ 

 

Chaeryeong rolled her eyes. ‘Well, can you tell Gabriel to turn it down? My ears are sensitive.’ 

 

‘I’m Ryujin, by the way.’ The girl said, ignoring Chaeryeong’s comment. Chaeryeong looked in her direction to see her holding out her hand for Chaeryeong to shake. 

 

Chaeryeong took it quickly and then placed her hand back over her ear. ‘Chaeryeong.’ 

 

‘Cute.’ Ryujin said. ‘So, are you single?’ 

 

Chaeryeong whipped her head in Ryujin’s direction and stared at her as if she had two heads. 

 

‘What?’ 

 

‘I asked if you were single. Or are you in some sort of complicated mutual pining relationship or something?’ 

 

Chaeryeong blinked. ‘I-I’m single. I have a protective older sister and— why do you need to know this?’ 

 

Ryujin shrugged. ‘Cause I think you’re cute.’

 

Chaeryeong thanked Gabriel when the bass dropped again so she could blame her reddening cheeks on her fear of thunderstorms. 

 

‘Do you want to get hot chocolate?’ 

 

Chaeryeong only blinked at Ryujin. 

 

‘Or coffee. Any drink you want. Food. Or I can take you home, if you’re not interested in hanging out with me. Personally, I think we’re kinda vibing. Do you think I’m cute too?’ 

 

Chaeryeong was at a loss for words. One, Because Ryujin just said so many things. And two, she’s never had someone flirt with her before. Three, was Ryujin even flirting with her? 

 

‘Hot chocolate‘s nice,’ was all Chaeryeong said. 

 

Ryujin smiled and her eyes crinkled. Chaeryeong had to admit she looked incredibly cute. 

 

‘Period!’ Ryujin said. 

 

She stood up and held out headphones to Chaeryeong. 

 

‘They’re noise cancelling headphones.’ Ryujin said when Chaeryeong looked at them with confusion. ‘So, your hands are free.’ 

 

Chaeryeong‘s mouth made an ‘o’ shape. ‘Innovative. Thanks.’

 

Ryujin watched her put on the headphones with a smile and reached over to turn them on for her. 

 

‘Connected to: Ryujin’s iPhone.’ 

 

(Ryujin was silently thanking the Heavens that she had changed the name of her phone that morning). 

 

She gave Chaeryeong a thumbs up, signaling if it was okay. Chaeryeong gave her a thumbs up back and a bright smile. She was especially smiley because she was playing SNSD. 

 

Ryujin signaled ‘let’s go’ with her head and Chaeryeong happily followed her. 

 

But, not before Ryujin bent down and intertwined their fingers. 

 

The movement was so quick that Chaeryeong almost didn’t notice it. Now, when she blushed at Ryujin’s smirk, she couldn’t blame it on the thunder because she couldn’t hear it over Into the New World playing through her ears. 

 

………. 

 

‘You go to my school, right?’ 

 

Chaeryeong and Ryujin had made their way into a cute dessert cafe, where they bought more than just hot chocolate. The two couldn’t find it in themselves to leave the cute pastries on the display.

 

Ryujin raised an eyebrow. ‘I’m literally wearing the same school uniform as you.’ 

 

‘I know, that.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘I just never seen you around before. What grade are you in?’ 

 

‘I’m a senior.’ 

 

Chaeryeong beamed. ‘Same as me! It’s so weird, I really don’t remember ever seeing you in the halls.’

 

Ryujin faked that she was in pain, clutching her heart with the free arm that wasn’t around Chaeryeong’s shoulders. 

 

(Earlier, when they sat on the booth, Ryujin slid in next to Chaeryeong, smoothly draping her arm around Chaeryeong’s shoulders. She had told Chaeryeong to let her know if she was ever overstepping her boundaries and Chaeryeong just stuttered out an ‘o-okay’ with flushed cheeks. But she didn’t complain one single bit). 

 

‘Don’t worry.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Your name does sound awfully familiar. Do you play any sports? Wait, do you play softball?’

 

Ryujin shook her head. ‘You must be thinking about Yujin. Ahn Yujin.’ 

 

‘Ah. You’re right. You’re right.’ 

 

When the waiter arrived with their pastries, he put down four sets of cutlery, and filled up four glasses of water. 

 

‘Oh, sorry. There’s only two of us.’ Ryujin said.

 

The waiter looked between the two. Then he looked at all the food they ordered. 

 

‘M-my bad.’ He gave them a customer service smile. 

 

Chaeryeong hid her head in her hands as he walked away. She could hear Ryujin sniggering next to her. 

 

‘That’s mortifying.’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

‘He’s gonna think we’re fatasses.’ Ryujin chuckled. 

 

Chaeryeong sunk into her chair, or more like Ryujin’s arm, and Ryujin just laughed and pulled her closer into the side of her body. 

 

The two felt so comfortable with each other, almost as if they’ve known each other for months or even years now. In reality they had only met an hour and a half ago. 

 

‘Try this one, ‘ryeongie.’ Ryujin said, placing a fork of chocolate cake in front of Chaeryeong’s mouth.

 

‘I can feed myself, you know.’ Chaeryeong laughed but happily took the cake. Her eyes widened. ‘Wow, that’s really good.’

 

Ryujin smiled than pointed to her own mouth. ‘Do I get a reward?’ 

 

Chaeryeong’s fork clattered onto her plate as her cheeks grew completely red. Her cheeks, perhaps her whole face and her whole body went red. If toes could blush, they would be right now. 

 

‘W-what?’ Chaeryeong said.

 

Ryujin looked at her in confusion. Then her eyes opened in realisation. 

 

‘Oh, you thought I meant a kiss!’ Ryujin said hastily, ‘No, no, I meant for you to feed me too, I didn’t mean that, unless you’re willing to then I’d be down but I don’t usually kiss on the first date but for you I’d totally make an exception.’ 

 

‘Breathe,’ Chaeryeong giggled. Then her mind registered what Ryujin just said. ‘So, this is a date?’ 

 

Ryujin nodded. ‘I’m hoping so. It’s up to you.’ 

 

Chaeryeong hummed. ‘For future reference, how many dates would you go on before you kiss someone?’ 

 

‘Hmmm…’ Ryujin bit her lip, ‘maybe by the third date.’ 

 

‘Noted.’ 

 

…………

 

On the drive back to Chaeryeong’s house, the two kept talking, and learning more about each other. They played a rapid fire game where they had to answer little things like favourite food, favourite movie, if the world was ending tomorrow what would you do? (Ryujin’s answer to the last question was to fly Chaeryeong to Las Vegas so they can get married before they die). 

 

Ryujin was shocked to learn (but also she should have known) that Lee Chaeryeong was none other than the little sister of Lee Chaeyeon, a graduated student who was now a backup dancer for JYP Entertainment.

 

‘You really didn’t know?’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

Ryujin shook her head. ‘Not a clue. But as soon as you said it I really should have known.’

 

‘Wow.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘That’s the first time that’s ever happened.’ 

 

‘What do you mean?’ Ryujin took her eyes off the road momentarily to glance at Chaeryeong. 

 

‘I don’t know. I guess I’m just used to being known as Lee Chaeyeon’s little sister.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘My sister is literally perfect. If she didn’t get into SM she got a scholarship to do Med school in America. Everyone loves her. She’s really good at cooking and baking and to make everything worse, she’s the nicest and most down to earth person in the world so you can’t hate her.’ 

 

‘I think you’re wrong with that last part.’

 

Chaeryeong chuckled. ‘Why do you think so?’ 

 

‘Because,’ Ryujin stopped at the traffic light and turned to Chaeryeong. ‘The nicest and most down to earth person in the world is sitting in my passenger seat.’ 

 

Chaeryeong let out another laugh. ‘Very funny. Maybe if you knew me longer than 3 hours I’d believe you.’ 

 

Ryujin started the car again and she smiled sheepishly. ‘Funny story about that. I may or may not have known you longer than just today.’ 

 

When Chaeryeong didn’t say anything Ryujin continued, ‘does the name Shin Yuna ring a bell?’ 

 

‘Yuna!’ Chaeryeong smiled. ‘She’s in art club with me. I love that kid.’ 

 

‘Well, she’s my little sister.’ 

 

Chaeryeong shot a glance at Ryujin, trying to look at  her features and see if she had any in common with Yuna. 

 

‘Well, not technically. She’s officially my cousin, but since we’re both only children and live so close together we see each other as sisters.’ 

 

Chaeryeong nodded. Now, that made sense.

 

‘What does that have to do with me?’ Chaeryeong cocked her head to the side. 

 

‘Stop that.’ Ryujin looked serious. ‘My poor heart can’t handle your cuteness.’ 

 

Chaeryeong stuck her tongue out at her. 

 

‘And I was Yuna’s ride home. So, I’d pick her up after every art club.’ Ryujin said. ‘And obviously I’d see you.’ 

 

‘How come I never saw you, then? If you were there every time?’ 

 

Ryujin was silent for awhile. 

 

Chaeryeong watched the car drive past house after house. 

 

Finally, after a few moments, Ryujin answered, ‘I panicked everytime you were close by. Can you blame me, though? I turn into a mess around pretty girls.’

 

Chaeryeong laughed. ‘But, you seemed really confident today.’ 

 

‘It took me months to get to this point, trust me.’ Ryujin said. ‘So, that’s probably why you’ve never seen me before. Because, every time you were in the same vicinity as me, I’d panic and hide.’ 

 

Chaeryeong hummed. 

 

‘You know, if it wasn’t for Yuna basically forcing me to ask you out today, we wouldn’t be here right now.’ 

 

Chaeryeong reached her hand out to hold one of Ryujin’s that was holding the steering wheel. She entwined their fingers together. 

 

‘Well, I really need to thank Yuna, then.’ 

 

When Ryujin pulled up into Chaeryeong’s driveway, Chaeryeong had a sudden surge of confidence. 

 

‘We’re here.’ Ryujin said. ‘See you tomorrow?’ 

 

Chaeryeong nodded. 

 

‘Hey, um,’ Chaeryeong said, ‘we should pretend this is our third date.’ 

 

‘Why?’ Ryujin said. 

 

Chaeryeong didn’t answer her. At least verbally. Instead, she smiled and reached over to place her hand on Ryujin’s right cheek, turning the girl so she was facing her. 

 

Then she connected their lips together in a short kiss. 

 

Ryujin was stunned, to say the least, and Chaeryeong was living for it. 

 

‘Thank you for everything.’ Chaeryeong said, one hand on the door handle. ‘See you to—‘ 

 

She couldn’t finish her sentence because Ryujin had spun her back around, connecting their lips together in a much deeper kiss. Chaeryeong instantly melted into Ryujin and it didn’t take long for her to catch onto Ryujin’s flow. Ryujin’s hand had made its way to the back of Chaeryeong’s neck, pulling her even closer while Chaeryeong’s hand found its way back to Ryujin’s cheek.

 

And when Chaeryeong felt Ryujin smiling against her lips, her heart couldn’t help but swell up and burst because Ryujin was just too cute. 

 

When they finally pulled away, Chaeryeong had caught sight of Ryujin still with her eyes closed and still with the smile on her face. Almost as if she wanted to savour this moment she’d been waiting for a long time. 

 

‘I really don’t kiss on the first date.’ Ryujin said a huge smile on her face. So huge that her eyes and nose were both crinkling. ‘But you drive me crazy.’ 

 

Mayhaps the only loud noise Chaeryeong would accept is the pounding of her heart every time Ryujin smiled at her. 

 

…….

 

‘That thunderstorm was killer yesterday. Gamja couldn’t stop crying and slept in my room. Good thing I was home.’ 

 

‘That’s good your dog was fine. I was fine too, thank you for asking.’ Chaeryeong said to the girl. 

 

Jo Yuri was one of Chaeryeong’s best friends. They were both an equal amount of coward as much as the other, maybe one of the reasons why they bonded so well. 

 

In fact, most of Chaeryeong’s friends were sort of innocent cowards, Yuri, Hitomi, Choerry— Hyejoo was probably the only one who could walk to the bathrooms on the fourth floor alone and without turning around every 5 seconds to check behind her. 

 

‘Didn’t you have art club?’ Hitomi said. ‘Did you get home okay?’ 

 

Ryujin’s cute smile flashed through Chaeryeong’s mind and she was so thankful that she was so good at maintaining an expressionless face (something she and Yuri always got teased for). 

 

‘Don’t worry, I was fine.’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

She was definitely more than fine, yesterday. Chaeryeong could still feel Ryujin’s lips against her own. 

 

Speaking of Ryujin, Chaeryeong caught sight of her entering the cafeteria along with her friends Yeji and Lia. Behind her was Yuna and her best friends Yujin and Jiheon. 

 

Chaeryeong felt second hand mortification from seeing Yuna. After yesterday, she’d have a hard time facing her dongsaeng. 

 

Chaeryeong had a hard time going home yesterday, as she and Ryujin spent ages outside her door stealing kisses with each other. Everytime Chaeryeong would place her hand on the doorknob, either Ryujin will spin her back around or Chaeryeong wouldn’t be able to help herself. 

 

They were engaged in another lip lock, Chaeryeong’s back against the front wall of her house and Ryujin’s arms around her waist when they heard the front door to Chaeryeong’s house swing open. 

 

Chaeryeong had prepared for the worst. She half hoped it her youngest, Chaemin. Anybody BUT her older sister. Chaeryeong once had brought a boy home and Chaeyeon scared him so much he never talked to Chaeryeong again. Chaeryeong wasn’t even interested in him! 

 

‘Please, I let you guys do this for 20 minutes now, but enough is enough! Unnie, can we please go home?’

 

Chaeryeong and Ryujin both turned to see none other than Yuna standing in front of them with her arms crossed and her hips poking out. 

 

Apparently, Yuna made Jiheon’s older sister, Jiwon, drop her off at Chaeryeong’s house to make certain that Ryujin actually had the guts to talk to Chaeryeong and drive her home. 

 

How she was able to get into Chaeryeong’s house? Chaeryeong had no idea. 

 

Yuna was a very interesting girl. 

 

Chaeryeong had never seen Ryujin so embarrassed. Well, Chaeryeong had never really seen the girl before yesterday, but it was still weird to see her whole face turning red, when Ryujin was the one making Chaeryeong blush the whole afternoon. 

 

And now, even just seeing Yuna across the room had Chaeryeong wanting to curl up into a ball.

 

‘Dammit! I forgot!’ Yuri smacked her head in exasperation, interrupting Chaeryeong’s thoughts. ‘I gotta go talk to Ahn Yujin. My cousin asked her to be her date to her middle school dance.’ 

 

‘Wait, you mean, Wonyoung?’ Choerry said. ‘She knows Ahn Yujin?’ 

 

‘I was just as shocked as you were.’ Yuri said. ‘Apparently they’re childhood best friends who found each other again.’ 

 

Chaeryeong was sort of half listening to the conversation as she was too busy glancing over at Ryujin. She looked hell attractive in her jeans. 

 

‘Someone come with me please? To make me look tough? I gotta let Ahn Yujin know not to hurt Wonyo.’ 

 

Everyone looked to Hyejoo as soon as they heard the phrase about looking tough.

 

‘I’ll go as long as I get to glare at her.’ Hyejoo shrugged. 

 

Chaeryeong put up her hand, glancing at Ryujin. ‘I’ll go, too.’ 

 

‘Ahn Yujin.’ Yuri called out to the girl once she was closer. 

 

The said girl turned around with a huge smile, only for it to evaporate as soon as she saw Yuri. For someone so tall, she was acting like she was smaller than the tiny looking Yuri. 

 

‘Wonyoung’s cousin!’ Yujin said, nervously. ‘U-uh, I mean, Jo Yuri s-sunbaenim. And Son Hyejoo sunbaenim! And Lee Chaeryeong sunbaenim!’ 

 

At the mention of Chaeryeong’s name, Ryujin turned around at the speed of light. She caught eyes with Chaeryeong and smirked slightly. 

 

‘Let’s talk.’ Yuri tiptoed to put her arm around Yujin. It was quite funny, because Yujin was courteous enough to bend her knees so that Yuri can reach her. 

 

Hyejoo followed after Yuri and Yujin while Chaeryeong stayed put. All of Ryujin’s friends exchanged one glance at each other then walked a few metres away to give them some space. 

 

‘Sleep well?’ Ryujin said, her signature smirk on her face. 

 

Truthfully, Chaeryeong had stayed awake a couple hours later than usual, as she couldn’t get rid of that stupid smile on her face. 

 

‘It was alright.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Did you get home well?’ 

 

‘Sort of.’ Ryujin chuckled. ‘Yuna would not shut up the entire ride. Even more than usual. She’s the devil, I swear.’ 

 

‘Noooo.’ Chaeryeong whined. ‘Yuna is an angel.’ 

 

‘No, YOU’RE an angel.’ Ryujin said. ‘Trust me, Yuna is like a little demon.’ 

 

Chaeryeong had to stop herself from blushing. ‘I don’t believe you.’ 

 

‘It’s true!’ Ryujin said. ‘You’re literally an angel, like have you looked in the mirror lately? You’re insanely gorgeous.’ 

 

‘Oh, I knew that.’ Chaeryeong said, faking her confidence to hide how flustered she felt. ‘I was talking about Yuna being a demon.’ 

 

‘I’m not a demon!’ Yuna suddenly popped up on the side. ‘Can you guys please stop talking about me and get to it.’’ 

 

The last part was aimed directly at Ryujin who rolled her eyes at her sister. 

 

‘I was getting to it.’ Ryujin said. 

 

‘Well, get to it faster.’ Yuna rolled her eyes back. 

 

Ryujin sighed as Yuna walked back over to Jiheon who was watching Yujin nod sheepishly to everything 

Yuri was saying, while glancing every so often at Hyejoo’s glare. 

 

‘Get to what?’ Chaeryeong raised an eyebrow. 

 

Ryujin scratched her head. ‘I have a basketball game on Friday and I was wondering if you’d like to watch? I can get Lia to reserve front row seats for you. She’s a cheerleader.’ 

 

‘You play basketball?’ Chaeryeong had to stop her eyes from bulging out of their sockets. The thought of Ryujin playing basketball was the most amazing thing ever. From what she knew, basketball players wore tank tops as their uniforms. 

 

‘Yeah,’ Ryujin raised an eyebrow, the smirk seeming to grow bigger. ‘I can pick you up before and then maybe after the game we can grab something to eat?’ 

 

‘Sounds good.’ Chaeryeong smiled, which was an awfully composed reaction compared to how she was feeling inside. 

 

‘Great.’ Ryujin beamed. ‘I’ll text you.’ 

 

‘Cool.’ Chaeryeong gave her a thumbs up. 

 

Then she realised something. 

 

‘Wait, do you have my number?’ 

 

Ryujin froze. Then she took out her phone and scrolled through her contacts. ‘Do I? Did I not ask for it yesterday? Or did I just give you mine?’ 

 

Chaeryeong shook her. ‘You didn’t give me yours, either.’ 

 

Suddenly, Yuna came back, another exasperated look on her face. 

 

‘You forgot to ask for her number? Really, unnie?’ Yuna groaned. ‘How could you forget? The plan was to drop her off and then ask for her number, didn’t I run it through your brain for a good 15 minutes?’ 

 

‘I was distracted, okay!’ Ryujin put her hands up in defence. ‘Just a little… preoccupied.’ 

 

Both Chaeryeong and Yuna didn’t miss the way Ryujin’s eyes glanced towards Chaeryeong’s lips. 

 

‘Okay, gross.’ Yuna scrunched up her face in disgust. ‘Nevermind, just unlock your phones and hand them over to me.’ 

 

Ryujin and Chaeryeong shrugged and did as they were told. 

 

They watched as Yuna typed a few things on Chaeryeong’s phone, then she typed some more things on Ryujin’s, before nodding satisfactorily and giving it back to them. 

 

‘You know, we could have done it ourselves?’ Ryujin said.

 

Yuna hummed. ‘But I wanted to do it.’ 

 

Then she smiled her large :D and skipped away. 

 

‘A demon, I’m telling you.’ Ryujin watched her leave. ‘She’s so loud and for what?’ 

 

‘She’s not that loud.’ Chaeryeong pushed Ryujin playfully.

 

…………

 

Chaeryeong jumped up, hearing Ryujin’s car pulling up to her driveway. The engine echoed through the quiet neighbourhood, Chaeryeong could already hear her down the street. 

 

‘Bye! My friend is here to pick me up for the basketball game!’ Chaeryeong called to her parents. She could just imagine them muttering to themselves, wondering when the hell Chaeryeong became insterested in sports. 

 

Chaeryeong opened the door only to catch Ryujin’s hand up in the air, mid knock. Both girls couldn’t help their surprised expressions upon seeing each other. 

 

Chaeryeong also didn’t miss the way Ryujin eyed her up and down. Though, she almost did miss it because she was doing exactly the same thing to Ryujin. 

 

‘Weird clothes for a basketball uniform.’ Chaeryeong raised her eyebrow, though she wouldn’t mind seeing Ryujin playing in casual wear. Jeans and a hoodie never looked so good. 

 

‘I get changed before the game.’ Ryujin said. Then she winked. ‘Besides, couldn’t risk you having a heart attack when you see me in my uniform.’ 

 

‘You wish.’ Chaeryeong snickered. Though, she knew deep inside that Ryujin was absolutely right. ‘Let’s go, can’t have you being late. Your team captain will be mad.’

 

Ryujin let out a laugh. ‘Trust me, I think she’ll be cool with it.’ 

 

The car ride there was comfortable for both of the girls. 

 

Chaeryeong did most of the talking as Ryujin was concentrating on driving, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t engaged in the conversation. Ryujin would react where appropriate and would prompt Chaeryeong with more questions. 

 

Somewhere in the middle of Chaeryeong’s complaint about science class, Ryujin’s hand had found its way to Chaeryeong’s, lacing them together. The sudden movement had caused Chaeryeong to halt her story just for a fraction of her second, then continuing on as if nothing happened. 

 

It was so natural being with Ryujin. Who knew? Maybe they were moving a bit quick but to Chaeryeong it felt just right. Everything would just happen and Chaeryeong had nothing against any of it.

 

Unfortunately, they had arrived at the gymnasium and had to eventually let go of each other, or else they wouldn’t be able to leave the car. 

 

‘Come,’ Ryujin said, ‘Lia’s waiting for you. She’ll keep you company while I warm up with my team.’ 

 

Chaeryeong was a little disappointed that she wouldn’t be able to stay with Ryujin any longer but what did she expect? Ryujin was there to play basketball, not to sit next to Chaeryeong. Afterwards, she could have Ryujin all to herself. 

 

Chaeryeong and Ryujin walked into the school doors, and there, as Ryujin had said, Lia was waiting for Chaeryeong, as well as a couple other cheerleaders who Chaeryeong vaguely recognised.

 

‘Hey, guys.’ Lia smiled. Chaeryeong had to admit that Lia’s smile was gorgeous. In fact, all of Ryujin’s friends seemed to be insanely pretty. 

 

‘Take care of her, please?’ Ryujin said. 

 

Lia rolled her eyes. ‘Okay, captain, just go boss your basketball team around. I’ll take care of your girl.’

 

‘She’s not my girl.’ Ryujin started to back away, then she shot a look at Chaeryeong. ‘At least, not yet.’ 

 

Then she shot her cheeky little smile and waved at them. Chaeryeong watched her jog down the hall with her large bag. 

 

‘Did you say she’s the captain?’ Chaeryeong said, ignoring the blush coming on from Ryujin’s comment. 

 

Lia nodded. ‘You didn’t know? Wow, Ryujin was either being modest or maybe she just wanted to show off to you in a dramatic way.’ 

 

‘Definitely the second.’ Another girl said. ‘I wouldn’t blame her, though. You seem like such a cutie, I’d want to impress you as much as I can.’ 

 

‘Okay Hyewon, calm down before Ryujin breaks your leg,’ said the third girl.

 

‘Oh, please.’ Hyewon scoffed. ‘Ryujin is such a softie. Don’t you remember? That one incident?’ 

 

‘Oh right, she couldn’t stop crying over me!’ The third girl laughed. She wiped a fake tear. ‘Minjoo is so pure. I wish she was my daughter.’ 

 

Hyewon and Minjoo both laughed at Minjoo’s impression. 

 

‘Are you guys done?’ Lia said to the two, the hint of a smile still on her face.

 

‘Yes, ma’am!’ 

 

Lia rolled her eyes, linking arms with Chaeryeong. 

 

‘Come on, we reserved front row seats for you and your friends. You said there’s five of you guys, right?’

 

………

 

Chaeryeong had no idea why her friends were even there. Maybe she could understand Choerry, she wanted to join the cheerleading team before but she just couldn’t afford to attend the practices with all her extra credit and part time jobs. But Yuri? Hitomi? And don’t get Chaeryeong started on Hyejoo. She never wanted to leave her room. But then Chaeryeong saw the girl take out her Nintendo switch.

 

‘Why didn’t you just volunteer to be a chaperone at Wonyoung’s middle school dance?’ Hitomi said to an antsy looking Yuri. ‘Then you can spy on them.’ 

 

‘Wonyoung wouldn’t let me.’ Yuri said. ‘She paid me in bread.’ 

 

That explained why Yuri was there. If Yuri had nothing else to do Chaeryeong wouldn’t be shocked if she broke into Wonyoung’s school to spy on Yujin. Chaeryeong didn’t even know why she had to do that, Yujin seemed like the biggest sweetheart.

 

‘Why are you here, Chaeryeong?’ Yuri said. 

 

‘Yeah, you don’t care about sports any less than Yuri does.’ Choerry cocked her head to the side. 

 

‘A… friend invited me to watch her.’ 

 

Hitomi narrowed her eyes at her. ‘Since when did you have friends either than us?’

 

Chaeryeong only stuck out her tongue in response. 

 

Her hands instantly flew to her ears when loud music began to play. Damn the loud speakers. 

 

‘Everybody make some noise for the ITZY Cheetahs!’

 

Chaeryeong started clapping hard as she heard her whole side of the stadium erupt into cheers and woops. She felt like an idiot but everyone else around her was doing the same thing, save for Hyejoo, so hopefully nobody noticed how over excited she was. 

 

‘Here we have number 3, your Captain, Shiiin Ryuuujiiin!’

 

Chaeryeong let out an even louder cheer as Ryujin came running onto the court with a basketball in hand. Her eyes scanned the audience, more specifically the front row, before her eyes landed briefly on Chaeryeong. Then she looked away, smiling to herself. 

 

All throughout the warm up, Chaeryeong couldn’t stop watching Ryujin. She was meant to look attractive in her tanktop and shorts, which she did of course, but Chaeryeong couldn’t help but think she looked adorable, too. She was so focused on her ball and everytime she’d shoot her little smile was insanely cute. 

 

And when Ryujin was huddled with her team (right in front of her, may she add) Chaeryeong couldn’t help but admire how she looked as a captain. 

 

It was obvious that she wasn’t just the captain because of her skills. There were plenty of other great players like Yeji, the point guard. Chaeryeong could see how the rest of the team were focused on Ryujin, listening to everything she was saying. Chaeryeong could see the respect they had for their captain. Respect that Ryujin had no doubt earnt over the years. 

 

That alone made Chaeryeong fall even more for her. 

 

The whistle blew, abruptly shaking Chaeryeong out of her thoughts and she brought her hands quickly to her ears. 

 

‘I wish I wasn’t so jumpy.’ Chaeryeong laughed. 

 

‘Me too, sister.’ Yuri said. Chaeryeong turned to also see her with hands over her ears. 

 

When she turned her attention back into the court, the starters were already in position, just waiting for the ball to go up. 

 

And then they were off, everyone was running around the court and to Chaeryeong it looked like a mess, like nobody knew where to go but she knew that these players knew what they were doing. Just cause she didn’t understand didn’t mean they didn’t. 

 

The teams were going back and forth shooting hoops and earning points, the score wasn’t too far apart. 

 

Suddenly, Chaeryeong’s school started to cheer loudly. Hyunjin had intercepted a basket and had quickly thrown it to Yeji who was already getting ready to run down the court. 

 

The other team followed her, trying desperately to get into the defensive position Chaeryeong had observed during this first quarter. 

 

Chaeryeong thought Yeji was going to try and score while having two giants towering over her. Good luck to her. 

 

Then suddenly, Chaeryeong caught sight of Ryujin waiting patiently outside the 3-point marker, right in front of the basket. She was completely open. 

 

Apparently, she wasn’t the only one who noticed as the captain of the other team suddenly yelled, ‘Soobin, watch number 3!’ 

 

But it was too late. Yeji had sneakily passed the ball behind her back, straight into Ryujin’s hands.

 

Swoosh.

 

Her school erupted into cheers. Even Chaeryeong could tell that they did well. 

 

‘Shin Ryujin with the 3 points!’ 

 

While running back to their positions, Ryujin snuck a glance at Chaeryeong and Chaeryeong swore she saw her wink at her. 

 

‘Shin Ryujin keeps looking over here.’ Choerry pointed out and Chaeryeong froze. But then Choerry turned around to scan behind them and then the cheerleaders nearby. ‘I wonder who she’s looking at.’ 

 

Three quarters later and after many smiles and winks towards Chaeryeong’s direction, the game finally finished with the ITZY Cheetahs winning, of course. Ryujin and her team had one more huddle before going off into the locker rooms to change. 

 

‘Well, that was an experience.’ Chaeryeong said, glad that all the cheering around her had quieted down. 

 

‘It was alright.’ Hyejoo said. 

 

‘By the way, you never told us who your friend on the team was.’ Hitomi said, causing Chaeryeong’s friends to all look at her. 

 

‘O-oh.’ Chaeryeong’s cheeks flushed a little. ‘You see, it’s—‘ 

 

‘Hey, Chaeryeongie.’ 

 

Chaeryeong stopped her sentence to look at the person who called for her, knowing without a doubt who it was. 

 

‘Hey, Ryujin.’ Chaeryeong stood up. She gestured to her friends. ‘Uhhh… this is Yuri, Hitomi, Choerry and Hyejoo.’ 

 

Ryujin gave them a wave, ‘nice to meet you.’

 

Chaeryeong almost smacked her forehead at the sight of her friends looking shocked. But, least they were trying to hide it.

 

‘Hey, listen, can you hold this for me while I go shower?’ Ryujin said, passing Chaeryeong her letterman jacket. 

 

‘Uh, sure.’ Chaeryeong said, eyeing the jacket. ‘But don’t you have a bag you can put this in?’ 

 

‘I do.’ Ryujin said. Then she smiled sheepishly. ‘But, I was hoping you’d, maybe, want to like… wear it?’ 

 

Chaeryeong’s entire face flushed red and she wouldn’t be shocked if she turned around and saw her friends staring at them with their mouths agape.

 

‘Ryujin!’ Chaeryeong pushed her playfully, not knowing how to react. 

 

Ryujin only shot her her cheeky smile. 

 

‘Wait for me?’ 

 

Chaeryeong shrugged. ‘I mean you’re my ride, I have no choice.’ 

 

Ryujin held her chest, faking a pained look, ‘ouch, Chaeryeongie. That hurts.’ 

 

Chaeryeong chuckled and shooed Ryujin away with her hand. ‘Just go, already. You stink.’ 

 

Ryujin put her hands up in defence. ‘Alright, alright. Meanie.’ 

 

For a moment, Ryujin looked like she was contemplating something. It was only brief because before Chaeryeong knew it Ryujin was leaning forward to give her a peck on the cheek.

 

She turned to Chaeryeong’s friends who were just watching the whole exchange . And still shock. Shock because why the hell was Shin Ryujin flirting with their best friend?

 

‘Nice to meet you guys!’ Ryujin smiled.

 

Choerry was the only one who was in the right mindset to reply. ‘Nice to meet you, too!’ 

 

When Ryujin walked away, Chaeryeong was bombarded by her friends. 

 

‘Um…’ Yuri said, ‘what was THAT?’ 

 

‘Since when were you friends with Shin Ryujin?’ 

 

‘Do they look like friends to you? I feel like I have to rinse my eyes.’ 

 

‘Disgusting.’ 

 

Chaeryeong chuckled nervously. ‘Yeah… friends… about that.’ 

 

After telling the story of how she and Ryujin met and hearing all the screaming coming from her friends, Chaeryeong had to cover her ears. But that didn’t stop her from laughing at the absolute panic on her friends’ faces.

 

………

 

‘Guess who.’ Chaeryeong felt two hands covering her eyes. 

 

It’s been a couple weeks since that first basketball game and Chaeryeong’s friends were starting to grow used to Ryujin’s random moments of showing up. Even Hyejoo was able to hide her distaste everytime Ryujin kissed Chaeryeong’s cheek as they were all so used to it by now. It didn’t stop Chaeryeong from blushing profusely. 

 

‘I hope it’s Yeji.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘She’s pretty.’

 

She heard Ryujin sigh. ‘Wrong! Guess again. She’s even prettier.’ 

 

‘Oh!’ Chaeryeong snapped her fingers. ‘It must be Lia, then.’ 

 

‘True. But, no. Here’s a hint: she’s holding chocolate bread she bought for you to have for lunch.’ 

 

Chaeryeong took Ryujin’s hand off of her eyes, feigning surprise. 

 

‘Oh, wow!’ Chaeryeong said sarcastically, ‘it’s Ryujin!’

 

Ryujin shook the chocolate bread in the air and Chaeryeong accepted it happily. While Chaeryeong munched happily on the bread, Ryujin pinched her cheek lightly with a smile on her face. 

 

‘Thank you.’ Chaeryeong said with puffed cheeks. 

 

Ryujin held Chaeryeong into her side in a one armed hugged. 

 

‘Yeji, watch out!’ 

 

Everyone turned to see Yeji. 

 

It was too late for poor girl as she had tripped on the bag on the floor and her lunch went hurtling to the floor with a loud bang. 

 

Crash!

 

Chaeryeong had instantly put her hand over her ears, only for her to realise there were already hands there, covering them. 

 

Chaeryeong looked up to see Ryujin close behind her, protecting her instinctively. Chaeryeong wasn’t even sure Ryujin knew what she was doing. Usually she would send Chaeryeong her little wink or smirk at her. But right now, Ryujin was just looking at Yeji with a disappointed look. 

 

Ryujin had seen what was coming, Yeji was a pretty clumsy girl for a basketball player, and had already went to cover Chaeryeong’s ears, preparing for the loud crash. 

 

‘Yeji, I swear.’ Ryujin said with a shake of her head. She took her hand off of Chaeryeong’s ears as if nothing happened and went to help her friend clean up. 

 

As Chaeryeong watched her wipe pasta off of Yeji’s pants, her heart swelled. Something she had learnt about Ryujin is that she was really attentive to everybody around her. She wasn’t so much the ‘mom friend or the ‘dad friend’, she was the ‘protector friend’. Like a bodyguard or a knight. 

 

And honestly, it made Chaeryeong fall all the more in love with her. 

 

………..

 

It’s almost been a month since Ryujin and Chaeryeong started doing whatever it was that they were doing, a month of Ryujin driving Chaeryeong home, a month of late night texts and phone calls, a month of Ryujin winking at Chaeryeong from the basketball court and a month of Chaeryeong teaching Ryujin how to draw. 

 

Sometimes during art club, while waiting to give Chaeryeong and Yuna a ride home, Chaeryeong would invite Ryujin to come inside the classroom and observe. Or in Ryujin’s case, be a nuisance to Chaeryeong, a nuisance that still managed to make her blush. 

 

Chaeryeong could tell all of her friends were getting antsy. They had no clue what Chaeryeong and Ryujin’s status was yet. Truthfully, she hadn’t told them about her status with Ryujin yet because, well, she wasn’t sure what their status was. They were just friends who knew they liked each other and would frequently make out whenever they were alone. And maybe once or twice in the janitor’s closet.

 

But, if Chaeryeong were to be honest, a little part of her was scared. 

 

She trusted Ryujin, but a part of her, the insecure coward, didn’t want to believe any of this was true. It didn’t believe Ryujin would actually like her.

 

For one, Ryujin was insanely gorgeous. Chaeryeong never missed the way boys and girls alike would fawn over her. Ryujin was either too oblivious to notice or she was just ignoring them. Which Chaeryeong didn’t know why, she had the whole school in the palm of her fingers because, secondly, Ryujin was also insanely popular. 

 

She was the captain of the varsity basketball team for crying out loud! No wonder Chaeryeong had felt like she’s heard her name before she even met Ryujin, the whole school would talk about her every time she won an important game. 

 

Chaeryeong decided that she would talk to Ryujin about it. One thing she had learnt about the girl these past few weeks was that it was so easy to talk to her. She was non-judgemental and a really good listener. Chaeryeong thought she was just an attentive person, but then she realised she was only attentive to a select few. That being her friends, her sister, her basketball team and her… Chaeryeong. 

 

Chaeryeong shot a quick text to Ryujin, asking if she was busy and if she would like to come over. Ryujin answered in a heartbeat with an ‘on my way! <3’.

 

Chaeryeong glanced at the time. The drive from Ryujin to her house was between 10-15 minutes, they didn’t live too far from each other. Chaeryeong had some time to freshen up. 

 

She didn’t have to dress up, she just had to make sure she smelled okay and her hair didn’t look like she just rolled out of bed and her eye bags were covered and maybe she also had to redo her eyebrows. 

 

While she was curling her hair, she heard a knock on her bedroom door. 

 

‘She’s here already?’ Chaeryeong panicked, the curler still in her hair. She called out, ‘just a minute!’ 

 

‘I don’t care! I’m walking in!’ Came the response that didn’t sound like Ryujin. 

 

She knew that voice. 

 

‘Unnie!’ Chaeryeong said when the door opened. 

 

There standing by the door was her older sister, beaming at her with sparkling eyes. 

 

‘I’m home!’ Chaeyeon said. ‘Only for a couple weeks but I’m home, nonetheless!’ 

 

‘Unnie!’ Chaeryeong dropped her hair curler and sprung towards her sister, finally able to regain her senses.

 

‘Did you miss me?’ Chaeyeon said, a tear threatening to spill out her eye as she held her little sister in her arms. 

 

Chaeryeong nodded profusely into her shoulder. She was overjoyed that her sister was home. 

 

‘Let’s go out tonight!’ Chaeyeon said. ‘I want to know everything that’s been going on in your life. Any updates?’ 

 

A montage of Ryujin flashed through Chaeryeong’s mind. 

 

Oh right, Ryujin was coming over. 

 

‘Oh no.’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

Chaeyeon raised an eyebrow. ‘What’s that mean? What did you do?’ 

 

‘No, it’s just that, um…’ 

 

Chaeryeong had no idea where to begin. How will she even bring it up to Chaeyeon? What would she even say to Chaeyeon? She didn’t know her status with Ryujin, that’s the whole reason why she invited her there that night. 

 

And on cue, the doorbell rang. 

 

Chaeryeong gulped. 

 

‘Oh! Did you already have plans tonight? Tell them to join us! My treat.’ Chaeyeon said, making her way over to the door. ‘Who is it? Is it Yuri? I miss that kiddo, I want to cook for her again. She actually appreciates my food.’ 

 

‘Actually—‘ 

 

It was too late, Chaeyeon had already opened the door to reveal Ryujin looking incredibly good in her sweatpants and hoodie.

 

‘Hey, cutie— and you’re not Chaeryeong.’ 

 

‘... and you’re not Yuri?’ 

 

Chaeryeong scratched her head. 

 

‘Unnie, meet Ryujin. She goes to my school.’ Chaeryeong said, not knowing how else to introduce Ryujin. 

 

Ryujin shot a look at Chaeryeong when she only introduced her as someone who went to her school, but nonetheless she stuck out her hand. 

 

‘Ryujin, this is my Chaeyeon Unnie.’ Chaeryeong said while the two shook hands. 

 

‘Shin Ryujin, right?’ Chaeyeon said. ‘You’re the captain of the varsity basketball team.’

 

‘That’s me.’ Ryujin shot her signature smile. 

 

‘Are you still dating, uh… what’s her name again?’ Chaeyeon snapped her fingers together. ‘Oh, Jeon Heejin!’

 

Ryujin froze. ‘N-not anymore.’ 

 

Chaeryeong couldn’t help but study Ryujin’s face. Ryujin was one of those people that rarely showed her vulnerability. Chaeryeong couldn’t help but wonder what happened with Jeon Heejin to get Ryujin acting like that. Ryujin never told Chaeryeong about her exes but Chaeryeong already assumed she had some, seeing how confident and experienced Ryujin seemed. 

 

‘My bad.’ Chaeyeon scratched her head. ‘Anyways, if you guys don’t have any plans, Ryujin do you want to go bowling with us? We’re planning on taking our youngest, too.’ 

 

Ryujin shot a glance at Chaeryeong. She didn’t expect to be meeting her family today. At least it wasn’t her parents. 

 

‘Sure.’ Ryujin said, her moment of vulnerability already gone. ‘As long as the loser pays for drinks.’ 

 

……….

 

Chaeryeong felt terrible the entire car ride. 

 

Ryujin was at the wheel, of course, with Chaeryeong in the passenger seat and her sisters sitting in the back. 

 

One time, Ryujin had rested her right hand in between the seats, waiting for Chaeryeong to take it. A common occurrence between the two. 

 

Instead of holding Ryujin’s hand like she normally did, Chaeryeong had glanced at her sister in the rear view mirror before proceeding to ignore Ryujin’s hand and pretend it wasn’t there. 

 

She didn’t miss Ryujin’s hurt expression. 

 

And then, as if to rub salt into the wound, Chaeyeon had asked Ryujin if Chaeryeong was dating anyone and Chaeryeong instantly jumped in to answer, no. She didn’t think, she just answered and she regretted it as soon as she said it.

 

So, Ryujin was awfully quiet for the rest of ride. 

 

Chaeryeong wanted to whack herself in the head. Why did she say that? 

 

Thankfully, Ryujin was a prideful Aries, and she refused to let it show that she was upset. It just made her a tad bit more competitive than she usually was. But it was fine, because Chaeryeong’s oldest sister was equally as competitive. 

 

Either way, it looked like Chaeryeong was paying for drinks because even Chaemin was doing better than her. 

 

‘Cough it up, unnie.’ Chaemin laughed at her sister when the game had finished. Ryujin had won by only a few points while Chaeryeong came dead last by a landslide. 

 

‘Yah!’ Chaeryeong scolded their youngest. ‘Where did you learn that from?’ 

 

Sometimes Chaeryeong forgot how much her little sister was growing up. 

 

‘I’ll go get the drinks, now.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Unnie, can you guys save us a table?’ 

 

Chaeyeon gave her a thumbs up. 

 

Ryujin went to follow but Chaeryeong had grabbed her arm to stop her. 

 

‘Can you help me carry the drinks?’ 

 

Ryujin glanced at Chaeyeon and Chaemin walking away. Then she nodded. 

 

Chaeryeong was going to get the drinks, but first, she had to make a detour. 

 

Grabbing Ryujin’s hand, she lead her to the bathrooms and thankfully nobody was in there.

 

‘What are you—‘ 

 

Ryujin was cut off by Chaeryeong planting her lips on hers. It was a brief peck, and it was so quick Ryujin barely had time to react. 

 

‘I’m sorry.’ Chaeryeong pouted. ‘About the car ride and everything.’ 

 

Ryujin planted a kiss onto Chaeryeong’s forehead. 

 

‘I’d say it was no big deal but, even I had to admit it kinda hurt.’ Ryujin said, a pained smile on her face. ‘Why did you do that? Are you embarrassed to be with me?’ 

 

‘What?’ Chaeryeong said. ‘No! It’s not that. Don’t ever think that.’ 

 

Chaeryeong reached out and grabbed Ryujin’s hand in her own, playing with her fingers. 

 

‘My sister can be a little… protective.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘And I just sort of panicked, okay? Because I really really like you and I don’t want anything to ruin this and if my sister found out we’re um… us… then she’ll form biased opinions on you before getting to know you and it doesn’t help that I don’t really know where we stand and—‘ 

 

‘Breathe, babe.’ Ryujin smiled at her, her hands moving to rub Chaeryeong’s arms.

 

‘Sorry.’ Chaeryeong hung her head down. 

 

‘So, what I got from that is that you’re super into me?’ 

 

Chaeryeong shot Ryujin an exasperated look. 

 

‘I’m kidding!’ Ryujin laughed earning a soft punch from Chaeryeong. ‘But if it makes you feel better, I’m super into you, too.’

 

Chaeryeong rolled her eyes but still leaned forward to peck Ryujin’s lips. 

 

Then she shyly scratched the back of her head. ‘Also, what happened with Jeon Heejin?’ 

 

Ryujin sighed. ‘She was sort of my first love. Sadly, I wasn’t hers. It’s okay, though. I was in sophomore year and I just really wanted to date someone. And it was okay for awhile until she broke up with me because she was already in love with her best friend. Who also happens to be on my basketball team.’ 

 

Chaeryeong wrapped her arms around Ryujin’s waist. ‘I’m sorry to hear that. But I can promise you, I am definitely not in love with my best friend.’ 

 

Ryujin smiled, tucking a stand of hair behind Chaeryeong’s ear. She dropped a little peck onto it. ‘Noted.’

 

Ryujin had found out that Chaeryeong was quite sensitive about the way her ears looked, which she didn’t understand why, Chaeryeong’s cute ears were one of her favourite things about her. So, Ryujin always made sure to do little things like that to let her know. 

 

‘Come on.’ Chaeryeong let go of Ryujin. ‘Let’s go get our drinks.’ Chaeryeong said.

 

She went to leave the bathroom but Ryujin stopped her. 

 

‘No, wait. What do you mean you don’t know where we stand?’ Ryujin said, her joking demeanor gone. Instead, her gaze was trained on Chaeryeong, as if she was studying the girl’s face.

 

‘I just wanted to ask you.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘What are we?’

 

‘I’m hoping we’re at least dating.’ Ryujin said. ‘Or else I’ve definitely been reading something wrong here.’ 

 

Chaeryeong chuckled. ‘So, we’re dating?’ 

 

Ryujin shrugged. Then she grabbed Chaeryeong by the waist and pulled her closer.

 

‘Or do you want to be my girlfriend, instead?’ 

 

It’s safe to say that after that there was a bit of a delay in getting the drinks to their table. Chaeryeong just made up an excuse of the line being long and the service being slow. And she made sure to retouch her makeup. Or at least wipe . 

 

…….

 

‘Cheese hot dogs are always delicious.’ Chaeyeon moaned at the taste. 

 

‘Do you not get to eat them while practicing?’ Chaeryeong said, cheese hanging from (which Ryujin instantly went to clean and it didn’t go unnoticed by Chaeyeon). 

 

Chaeyeon smiled sheepishly. ‘Don’t tell mom but sometimes I forget to eat.’ 

 

‘Unnie!’ Chaeryeong snacked her.

 

‘I’m sorry! I can’t help it.’ Chaeyeon said. ‘We’re busy preparing for Twice’s world tour and they asked me to choreograph one of Mark from Got7’s solo songs and I’m kinda stressing out.’ 

 

Chaeryeong’s eyes widened. ‘Wait really?’ 

 

‘Yeah, I’m pretty nervous and I don’t know why the asked me—‘ 

 

‘Twice are going on a world tour?’ Chaeryeong squealed. 

 

At the same time, Ryujin had squealed, ‘Mark has a solo album?’ 

 

Chaeyeon looked between the two and shook her head. She turned to Chaemin, her last resort. 

 

‘Oh, me?’ Chaemin said. ‘Right, um, well done unnie! Choreographing a song sounds like a big deal! Is that what you wanted to hear?’ 

 

Chaeyeon stuck her tongue out at her. 

 

‘You like Got7?’ Chaeryeong raised an eyebrow at Ryujin. 

 

Ryujin just coughed. ‘What? No, I don’t. Yuna likes them not me.’ 

 

Chaeryeong just laughed and pushed her shoulder playfully. 

 

They were sitting on the grass of a nearby park, waiting for the fireworks. Chaemin had seen a flyer saying there was a festival nearby and there would be fireworks at 9. 

 

Chaeryeong was usually scared of fireworks, but seeing that Ryujin would be by her side, she didn’t feel too scared. 

 

Chaeyeon was definitely suspicious over how Chaeryeong seemed unfazed at the mention of fireworks. 

 

‘Oh, it’s about to start!’ Chaemin said as her watch hit 9pm. 

 

Chaeryeong went to put her hands over her ears, only half surprised to feel there were another pair of hands already there. 

 

She placed her hands on top of Ryujin’s even though she didn’t need to, she just wanted to hold Ryujin’s hand. 

 

Ryujin stayed holding her ears for the entire duration of the fireworks. Chaeryeong could feel Chaeyeon’s questioning gaze but she chose to ignore it, running her thumb along the back of Ryujin’s hand. 

 

It was nice, sitting in the park and watching the fireworks with her sisters and Ryujin, her most favourite people in the world. 

 

Chaeryeong could feel Ryujin turning her gaze sometimes to watch her instead of the fireworks, but she pretended not to notice it because she knew that if she looked at Ryujin she wouldn’t be able to fight the urge to kiss her right there and then. 

 

It was extremely hard, Chaeryeong had learned quickly, to resist the urge to kiss the hell out of Shin Ryujin 24/7. 

 

So, when the fireworks ended and Ryujin brought her hands off of Chaeryeong’s ears and her soft gaze silently asked if Chaeryeong was alright, Chaeryeong couldn’t help but lean forward and plant a soft kiss on Ryujin’s cheek. 

 

Ryujin was a little surprised, but seeing Chaeryeong’s small smile instantly made her smile back. 

 

She tucked Chaeryeong’s hair behind her ear and Chaeryeong instinctively brought her hand up to hide it. But, Ryujin softly brought the hand away and planted a kiss onto one ear. Then the other. 

 

‘Someone is definitely lying here.’ Chaeyeon mumbled to herself, shaking her head at her sister and Ryujin. Her other sister was currently asleep on her shoulder. 

 

Instead of confronting the two, Chaeyeon decided to stay put for now. 

 

She claimed that it was because she didn’t want to wake Chaemin up. But deep down inside, she knew it was because she liked the way Ryujin was smiling at her little sister. Smiling at her as if she was her entire universe. 

 

………...

 

(But, she definitely confronted them the next day when she opened the front door to the sight of them making out on the porch.)