seven

Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2015

 

Seungyoon started his internship ahead of me because I was still finishing my portfolio. As expected, he was very busy. We only got to spend weekends together, sometimes not even. Seungyoon is an overachiever so I know he’d put in extra hours just to be good at what he’s doing. Not wanting to be left behind, I submitted my portfolio to all the companies I’ve been eyeing as soon as I finished. I particularly wanted to get an interview at this Art Gallery that’s relatively near Yoon’s office, and luckily I got a call.

 

I purposely didn’t tell Yoon so that he won’t be disappointed in case they don’t call me back and also because I want to surprise him. 

 

My interview went well, I think. I was really nervous since it was my first time but I think they were pretty impressed with my work. We finished just before lunchtime and I headed straight to Seungyoon’s building hoping he hadn't eaten yet. It was my first time inside and I gotta admit, it’s a little intimidating. I stepped inside and the glass doors automatically opened as I was welcomed by a lavish reception area with a pretty receptionist.

 

“Hi, how may I help you?” She asked.

 

“Oh, I.. I want to visit Seungyoon. I think he’s in Marketing.” I muttered.

 

“Seungyoon..?” I’m almost sure she knew which Seungyoon I was talking about because how many Seungyoons could there be in Marketing but I answered anyway.

 

“Kang Seungyoon.” I said and she looked me up and down as if checking if I was someone who’d look like Seungyoon would hang with. She seemed to believe I was because she asked for my ID and called someone on the phone.

 

“He’s in a meeting but you can wait upstairs. 21st floor.” She told me with a polite smile.

I got in an elevator and pressed 21. Everywhere I looked had the Kang Group of Companies logo in it. It suddenly hit me that Seungyoon would probably own this building someday and that’s just crazy. 

 

I got out of the elevator and sat at one of the couches in the reception area. I waited for about 10 mins before I saw Seungyoon exit one of the doors talking to someone, their heads focused on some papers Yoon is holding. I stood up thinking he’d notice me but he was so distracted he didn't even look at my direction.

 

“Yoon.” I called him. 

 

His head instantly snapped up and he looked around like a cute puppy. “Mino!” He said when he spotted me. He almost ran over but he slowed down just before he reached me while looking around. “Sorry, PDA’s not allowed in here.” He whispered to me. I don’t think he noticed that the person he came out with followed behind him.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asks with a big smile on his face.

 

“I had an interview somewhere near here and I was wondering if you had lunch already.” I asked trying to look at him but the guy hovering behind him was really distracting.

 

Yoon followed my line of sight and then looked behind him. “Oh, yeah. Mino this is Simon-hyung. I guess you can say he’s my boss here. Hyung, this is Mino my.. Best friend.”

 

My eyebrows shot up at that but I shook his hand nonetheless. I guess it’s understandable since Yoon’s not officially “out” with his family although we think they probably have an idea, I mean the whole school knew.

 

“Boss? Hardly. He’s going to be my boss someday.” Simon tells me to which Yoon scoffed. I can tell they’re already very comfortable with each other.

 

“Well, Seungyoonie go have lunch and if you’re eating at the cafeteria remember, don’t get the kimchi.” He said to which Yoon doubled with laughter. “Shut up, hyung.” He says. 

 

Great. They have private jokes.

 

---

 

“So, you never mentioned him to me before?” I asked as casually as I could. We decided to have Ramen at a restaurant below their building.

 

Seungyoon slurps his noodles. “Simon-hyung? I guess I haven’t.” He shrugged. 

 

“Come to think of it, you never really talk about what you do for your internship.” I told him.

Seungyoon hesitated. “Yeah well.. I knew you weren’t really interested..”

 

“What do you mean? Just because I didn’t want the job doesn’t mean I don’t care about what you’re doing.” I frowned at him.

 

He reached out for my hand and smiled. “You’re right. Sorry. I’ll tell you more about what I do from now on. It would be so great if you work in this area. I’m so excited!” 

 

“Yeah. Hopefully everything works out.” I squeezed his hand back.

 

---

 

Everything did not work out. 

 

The gallery near Seungyoon’s office didn’t call me so I had to take another offer which was quite far from him. I couldn’t afford to wait since I need to pay my own rent now that I no longer live in the dorms. Seungyoon offered to pay for my place in the meantime but of course I wouldn’t have that.

 

“Why not? You’ll pay me back anyway.” He asked me while helping me unpack in my new place. It was a tiny old studio unit but I love it. I think it has character. Plus, it was near the trains and bus stops.

 

“I just don’t want to start my life after uni by asking someone, especially not you, for money.” I told him.

 

He sat on the small couch after we pushed it on one side of the wall, deep in thought. “What if you stayed with me for a little while until they called?”

 

I was surprised. We both got separate places after uni after all, if he wanted to live together he would’ve suggested it sooner. “You.. want to live together?”

 

“Just for a little while. Until you get the job you want. I don’t want you to make sudden decisions that you’ll regret just because you’re pressured to pay your rent.” 

 

I thought about it. Living with him is tempting. Seeing him everyday would be the best thing ever but are we ready for that? “I dunno Yoon. I rejected the internship because I wanted to work for it on my own, if I live with you, wouldn’t that just be the same?”

 

Yoon ran a hand through his hair looking frustrated. He has all the answers to my dilemmas but I won’t take any of it. I’d be frustrated at myself too.

 

“But, what if the art gallery calls you next week? Aren’t you going to regret it?”

 

“I know it’s a bit far but this other company is good too, Yoon. I already told them I’ll sign on Monday.” I tried to assure him.

 

----

 

I hated my job. They made me do all the menial things like get them coffee and answer calls. They assured me that this would just be for the beginning, that all newbies go through it but I dunno, I wanted to create art and I thought I was too good to not be doing it. I felt like I was wasting my days away.

 

I hated to think that maybe Yoon was right. Maybe I should’ve waited, because the gallery did call me a week after. Maybe I should’ve gotten the internship at his father’s company. I started doubting myself. I started to drink to unwind after work and for the first time since I quit, I was tempted to smoke again..but I didn’t.

 

One time, after a particularly bad day at work, I called Yoon. I really just wanted to see him. 

 

“Hey.” He answered after a few rings.

“Hey, busy?” Wherever he is, it’s very noisy.

“Not really. Hold on- no hyung, I don’t want to get wasted-” I’m hearing music on the other end and a lot of laughter.

“You seem busy..” 

“No, it’s just..the team wanted to celebrate-”

“HE GOT PROMOTED!” I think I heard Simon shout from the other end and for some reason, I felt ice in my stomach.

“You got promoted?”

“Yeah, I’m no longer an intern! I’m officially part of the team.” He says excitedly with cheers in the background. I ing hate that I’m not the one he’s celebrating with.

“Congrats. And I’m not invited to the party?” , I really am drunk.

His voice shifted and he realized I was in a weird mood. I think he moved to a different room because it suddenly became quiet. “Mino, I didn't know there was going to be a party. They were the one who organized it-”

“Oh, so it was Simon who didn’t invite me.” 

Silence.

“Mino, why are you being like this. You can come over here now if you want.”

“Nah, I’m good.”

“Mino? What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy for me?”

My drunk self snorted. “Yeah sure, I’m happy for you.”

Now Yoon sounds upset. “What’s with the sarcasm?”

My hazy mind couldn’t help but laugh at how ridiculous the question seemed. “I mean, of course you’ll get promoted. You own the ing company, what are they gonna do? Fire you?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter