count

make it count | vseul one-shot

you have my heart

 

As planned, Seulgi crossed over to her house and changed, before returning to wake sleeping beauty up from his slumber. It was difficult at first, since his grogginess got the best of him, but the mere mention of the art exhibition energized his entire mind and body in an instant. He was practically bouncing off the roof as he got ready to go. 

 

Due to the present winter season, and the cold temperatures lowering by the hour, Taehyung and Seulgi had dressed comfortably in beige, long-coats. Having been glued to eachother's side over the years, they've adapted to one anothers chicly, vintage clothing styles. In actuality, it was something else they miraculously had in common, so they were known to match on various occasions.

 

Upon arriving at the exhibition, as ecstatic as they are, the pair ventured throughout the building whilst examining every piece of art that they came across. Most of the time, they'd stand side-by-side and critically evaluate each one, not saying a single word to each other. Then, disrupting that silence, Taehyung would ask her questions about what she thought of it, what the possible story behind it was, and most of all, what she liked or disliked about it. Since they were so in-tune and intrigued by one another's thoughts, their conversations could go on forever, if they had enough time. Ever since they were able to learn and love the spectrum that is art, they thought of themselves as artists in many ways whilst encapsulating their own personal styles. They'd often pick up on each other's hobbies as well. 

 

In Seulgi's case, she was most interested in drawing and painting. And, with no question about it, she was great at the hobby. Whenever she could, she'd share her drawings with Taehyung, whether it was of Frida Kahlo or of one of her cats. He'd note that she was always molding her craft and improving, while giving other techniques of drawing a try. With that in mind, it'd inspire him to try--to try to share something else with her that she does so well. He knew he wasn't as good of a drawer like she was, but with her as a teacher and a guide, he saw himself improving as well. 

 

On the other hand, Taehyung was in love with photography, and he was phenomenal at it. There'd be days where he'd showcase his photos to Seulgi, and she'd be able to stare at them for hours, drowning herself into the scene that he captured. Just the way he adapted to her hobby of drawing, she gave photography a try as well. Hell, she was good at it, too. He wondered how someone could excel at so many things that was associated with art, but then again, that was one of her many gifts.

 

"Taehyung, take a picture of me," Seulgi ordered, skipping towards a medium-sized, Van Gogh portrait that hung on the wall. Lifting the film camera to remain at eye-level, he trained his focus upon his stunning, best friend who posed with two piece signs. The shutter clicked and the photo was taken with a single press. 

 

"Cute," he commented, but she was too enveloped with the portrait to hear. 

 

Then, she spoke in a commemorative tone: "Remember when we went to our first exhibition during vacation with our families?"

 

By her side, he looked at her side-profile, humming positively in response.

 

"Was it ninth grade?"

 

"Yeah, it was during winter break, I believe. A couple days before my birthday, right? We couldn't stop staring at the--"

 

"--Gustav Klimt piece," she finished.

 

He smirked, laughing a little at the good times. "The kiss, how can I forget?"

 

"The night before, we watched that Egon Schiele movie together. Your parents and my own were all bundled up in a hotel room. You and I didn't stop talking about it the whole way to the exhibit the next day," she looked over at Taehyung, whose eyes hadn't budged from focusing on her. "Is Klimt's piece still your favorite?"

 

"One of my favorites, yes. Since then, we've been to countless of other museums and exhibits, diving into other artists like Frida Kahlo, Picasso, and Van Gogh. The kiss claims a special place in my heart, though. It's what pulled us into this world and started our love for going to these places, while learning about other artists' pieces."

 

"I agree," she nodded, smiling.

 

"Now, let's take a picture together." And, so they did. A couple, in fact. With the film camera that Taehyung had bought for her many months ago, Seulgi captured a few shots of him by some landscape frames. 

 

They spent some time chatting about art that surrounded them, and delved into reminiscent memories of their past; of their friendship, as they often did. Meanwhile, Taehyung felt like he was on cloud-nine, as did Seulgi. It had seemed that her heartbreak had resolved in a manner of hours that she spent with her best friend glued to her side. She pondered how easily her mind forgot about how she had been dumped, and how her unhappy emotions were pushed to the side once she was with him. Then again, his efforts of making her forget and instigating happiness to overshadow what she's gone through was what she needed. She knew that he would help her do so, and that he'd succeed. 

 

But, how was it so easy? 

 

Was it because he was her best friend and the only one that mattered? 

 

Was it because his adorable smile and his comforting words reminded her that everything was okay, and that he was there for her until she was better? During this horrible, rainy day that her emotions had created and made everything seem, was his role the sunshine that shone through the cloudy skies?

 

She shook herself out of her thoughts and grabbed his attention, again:

 

"Taehyung?"

 

He looked into her eyes and quirked an eyebrow upwardly, "yeah?"

 

"Do you believe in the idea of soulmates?"

 

 

It had came as a surprise that it was a topic they've never talked about before. Even then, he didn't have an answer yet, so he was left a bit speechless. 

 

Biting down on his lower lip, he shrugged, "Soulmates as in destined to be with somebody, platonically or romantically?"

 

She nodded.

 

"I don't know, do you?"

 

"Of course, I do. At least when it comes to us."

 

"Us?" To think that Seulgi was his soulmate brought him in abundance of happiness, and with her in mind, he began to believe it without a hint of an explanation. 

 

"Yeah, think about it: we've been next door neighbors for over six years, unknowing of one another's traits, personalities, and what we liked. Then, we become best friends who later find out that we share numerous amount of interests that I can't even count on one hand," Taehyung chuckled at that, agreeing. "Our hobbies, our favorite movies, and other interests that we have are similar, and even if we liked opposite things, we've managed to grow and adapt to it anyways. Something in the world clicked, and wanted us to be best friends."

 

With her detailed explanation, Taehyung was left with no words to say. 

 

But, she continued: "Plus, I can't see a life without you in it."

 

His stomach swirled and filled with obnoxious butterflies. Not going amiss, he felt his heart flip one-too-many times at how nice that sounded coming from her. For a moment, he was lost in the realm that was her and her words, diving in too far, in which it took him awhile to return to reality. 

 

An idea popped into his head, and a grin slowly crept up on his lips, "yeah, you're my seulmate--" he broke out into a fit of laughter at his pun, "--get it?"

 

"Tae, I'm being serious," she playfully bumped her shoulder into his, giggling a little at his childishness. 

 

"So, am I," Taehyung smirked, amused. "We are soulmates."

 

To hear that phrase come from her best friend, it filled her with glee. At this point, she was more than glad that she got to spend the day with him and him only. Because, in actuality, Taehyung was all that mattered. No one was there for her like he was, especially today. And, because of his efforts, his actions and his words have stood out to her more than anything else. 

 

 

Then, it was while thinking of Taehyung that her heart began to break and crumble all at once. To shock her even further, it wasn't even the reminder of Jimin breaking up with her earlier. If she was being honest, she found that her feelings towards him was only a natural attraction that had the ability to grow into more, but it thankfully didn't. 

 

The evening had grown much older and night had already began to fall, but as she exited the building with Taehyung by her side, she studied him thoroughly. She concluded she had done that too often the entire day, but she couldn't get over his sweet, considerate behavior towards her.  It made her feel differently internally; all warm, mushy, and giddy. 

 

But, that was only half of her.

 

The atmosphere was dim, and with the bit of light that the setting sun had to offer, looking at him caused her heart to feel like it was thrown inside a shredder. Guilt and utmost regret was eating at her insides. Unable to keep quiet anymore, she spoke up:

 

"Taehyung, I'm sorry."

 

His eyebrows scrunched, ultimately confused at the reasoning behind her random apology. 

 

"What? Why are you apologizing?"

 

She sighed. "For not coming with you to the exhibit last time. I know I canceled because of Jimin, and now that I think about it, I feel dumb for doing so."

 

"You feel dumb for canceling and going on a date with him, because he was going to break up with you anyways?" He restated to understand. Her lips parted, as if she was going to say something, but then she closed . He figured his wording was insensitive, so he tried to recover: "Sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that, or to remind you of--"

 

"No, it's okay, I'm not upset over him anymore," she smiled in reassurance, and he was grateful to hear such a thing. The two stopped at the crosswalk and waited for the signal to change. "But, yeah, I've realized that I should've gone with you. It was ed up of me to cancel something that we always did together--" a strong gust of wind hit her cheeks, causing her to shiver and her teeth to chatter incessantly, but nonetheless, she continued, "--just to go and hang out with some other guy that I only knew for two weeks."

 

Without a second to waste, Taehyung stepped forward and embraced her small body. Her hold tightened around his waist as another gust of wind blew by them. Though, it was no match for the maximum warmth that their bodies had created. He buried his face into her hair and whispered:

 

"You liked him, and at the time, he didn't seem like an , hm?" he hummed, awaiting her eventual response. She gently shook her head against his chest, closing her eyes, immersed in the moment. The rumble in his chest and the sound of his voice was all that she was tuned into. "Exactly, so there's no need to apologize for having feelings. You're here now, and that's all that matters."

 

She pulled away a little to gaze into his eyes, a small, appreciative smile on her face. Again, his caring words touched her heart, but this time, it left an imprint. "I still regret it, but most of all, I'm glad that I'm with you today."

 

"Seul, I'll always be with you, no matter what. You don't need to worry about things like that, you know?" Seeing as she was still shivering, he grabbed ahold of her hands and formed them into little fists. As expected, they were as cold as ice. To create friction and induce warmth, he rubbed the palms of his hands against them. Hoping it'd work a little bit, he craned his neck downwardly and blew into their hands. "Your hands are so cold, why didn't you bring your gloves?"

 

Seulgi, however, didn't reply. She was too lost in his eyes; his affectionate and loving gaze. Although his attention and his goals were set on getting her hands to heat up, she observed and studied his actions closely. That hidden feeling that would often bubble inside her returned, only stronger. Perhaps it took her too long to realize the obvious glint that appeared within the way he now looked back at her. 

 

He, too, felt something in the significant moment that they were sharing. 

 

But, the difference between her and him was that he had always known what that exact feeling was. That same nagging emotion would swallow him up at times; whenever she was around or at the mere glimpse of her smile, but he'd never act on it. It was something he was always familiar with, but he could never tell if she was. After he found out about her relationship with Jimin, he forced that feeling to perish and never return, but it wouldn't budge. To be safe, he ignored it for her and the sake of their longtime friendship. 

 

It never seemed to work.

 

In the end, she was the reoccurring sunshine that'd begin all the greatest days in his life, never having the ability to set.

 

It'd be false to say that it didn't hurt him to see her with someone else. Ever since he was able to identify that those feelings towards his best friend did, in fact, reside within him, he'd remind himself that there'd be a day where he had to tell her--to show her. But, it was a revolving-door effect of fear, denial, and stress. 

 

Though, that wasn't smart, because he knew that the avoidance would lead her elsewhere; to and with someone else. 

 

He couldn't deal with that idea anymore. He didn't want to see her with anyone else, but him. They were growing much older, and if its not now, with this atmosphere that nuzzled around them, he figured he wouldn't have another chance to make his feelings known--to make this once-in-a-lifetime moment count. 

 

But, how?

 

He breathed: "Seulgi?" 

 

"Yeah?" Their eye-contact hadn't budged, and that glimmer of affection never faltered. It was steady, and reassuring to Taehyung, despite the growing fear inside him.

 

"Can I tell you something?"

 

She laughed a little at his adorability. "Of course, you can."

 

He inhaled a deep breath. 

 

"Ever since I saw a single tear rolling down your face earlier, I vowed to myself that I'd do everything in my power to make you feel better. I was pissed about what Jimin did to you. Hell, you may have thought I was kidding, but if I saw him, I think I would've punched him." He scoffed out a laugh, sorting out his words. The nerves were getting to him; he could feel it in the pit of his stomach. "Knowing you all my life, and seeing how someone could make the decision to hurt you so easily, it didn't make sense how someone could have the audacity to break your heart, let alone cause you any sort of pain. You're too precious for this world, Seul. So, with that in mind, all I wanted was to make you happy today." 

 

His heart was speaking, and it wasn't planning on stopping. He paused, avoiding any sliver of eye-contact. He stared at his hand still holding hers. It was do or die. 

 

"You did make me happy," she searched for his eyes to meet hers, and once she succeeded, she smiled lovingly at him. "The happiest anyone could make me."

 

Was she being serious?

 

"But, that's the thing: I always want to make you happy." He wasn't going to stop there, but he needed to pause, once again. He felt like there was something lodged in his throat. He was in disbelief. Was he finally confessing to Seulgi? Maybe, he was, but one thing was for sure: he wasn't letting anything stop him. his lips, he continued: "I look forward to spending hours upon hours with you, especially moments like these. I always want to see your smile or hear your laugh. I always want to go to exhibitions with you, and have an insight on your thoughts. I love seeing your drawings, and reminding you of how talented you are. I–"

 

"You're so cute," she complimented, letting out the softest laugh. Her hand had reached up and caressed his cheek gently. The sound of her laugh had only calmed Taehyung, but her touch instilled a whole different feeling within his gut and within his chest. It relaxed his nerves, but it caused his heart to race and flutter enthusiastically. It might as well have soared out of his chest. 

 

He wanted to laugh, but some nervousness still resided within him: "I don't think you understand though."

 

"But, I do, Taehyung." Then, it was as if all his dreams and all his hopeful wishing had came true. 

 

This was the moment he had been waiting for. 

 

It was all a gradual process; something neither of them have done for the first time. The nerves were more than evident at this point, but there was reassurance in how deep and intense they gazed into each other's eyes. Their focus never wavered as their heads tentatively inched closer, and their hearts were beating too quick to realize. Before they knew it, the once-large space between their faces had vanished almost completely. Their proximity was so close that the tip of their noses touched and their breath hit one another's lips. 

 

Seulgi's eyes fluttered shut, anticipating his lips to touch hers, but he didn't move a muscle. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer, if that was even possible. He reciprocated her smile, and leaned into bump his nose with hers, as she did so in return. 

 

"I still don't think you understand," he whispered affectionately, and it had caught her attention.

 

"What don't I understand?" she replied at the same volume, their line of sight trained on each other's lips; unmoving. "Tell me."

 

"I'm in love with you, Seulgi. I've always been."

 

Her smile blossomed into yet another grin, but instead of replying with words, she replied with a gentle kiss; touching her lips to his. It was long-awaited, but it was perfect. He sighed into the kiss, as they were caught smiling through it all. He could always describe how she makes him feel, but now that they were close and sharing this moment, he couldn't put it all into words. All he could do was immerse himself within this new feeling, dive into the way she tastes, and explore how else she makes him feel. 

 

They pulled away, but only an inch. It was as if they've forgotten what's been going on around them, and where they even were. The cold that was once the subject of their minds wasn't even taken into consideration anymore. All they could focus on was themselves, feeling utmost bliss. Nothing could ruin it, and nothing would be able to pull them out of this dream-like reality that they were the main characters of.

 

Almost knocking Taehyung out, Seulgi questioned with a smirk: 

 

"Have you ever thought about how I felt about you all these years?" 

 

He nodded. "I wouldn't dwell on it for too long, because those thoughts had the ability to kill. They were only thoughts after all. It never came from you, so I was stuck in the unknown. I forced myself to not think about it."

 

"That's what I always did, too. It's scary to have feelings for someone that you're so close with. I had always assumed that you only considered me as a best friend, and that was all," she bit down on her lower lip. "I may have not known it, or wanted to admit it, but I think I fell in love with you once I knew what that term meant."

 

"Me too, but I think you had me at your smile," he grinned flirtatiously.

 

"I could say the same. I'm surprised you couldn't catch onto how I felt, though. Did you ever think I had feelings for you?"

 

"Of course not," he retorted as if it was the most obvious answer. He interlocked his fingers with hers and punched the button to cross the street, once again.

 

Her jaw dropped, beginning a battle of bickering: "Oh, please. I think it was more than obvious that I've always loved you."

 

"Uh huh, and how so? I'm pretty sure you were with someone," he rubbed it in, in which she, then, punched his arm. "Ow, what the hell, Seul? I'm serious, that really threw me off!"

 

"That's because you would never say anything, so of course, there'd be someone coming along the way!"

 

"Hey, I never had to date a girl, and it's not like you ever confessed to me!" He huffed. "It was obvious that I was waiting for you."

 

"Fine, I'll give you that. I'm glad Jennie didn't take your heart instead."

 

Taehyung frowned deeply. "But, someone else managed to take yours."

 

Seulgi stopped walking and tugged his hand, catching his gaze almost instantaneously. It was evident that there was sadness hidden within his, but he tried his best to not appear that way. Like he said before, the mere thought of her with someone else brought him sorrow. It'd go away eventually, but even then, Seulgi reassured him.

 

"Don't you know you've always had my heart, Taehyung? Like, I had yours?" She questioned in sincerity, stepping closer. "It's a hidden feeling; a hidden emotion that chooses when to reveal itself. That's what love does. Today, I can't count how many times it's presented itself, but then again, when I'm with you, it always has. No one can make me feel strongly like you do. Not even Jimin. Hell, I knew him for a month, and I couldn't even have an in-depth conversation with him. All I know is that I'm sorry for ignoring my feelings, and I wish I hadn't, but–"

 

"Don't apologize. I'm not mad at you for being attracted to someone else. For how much we've avoided this topic, I think it only makes sense that someone came along the way, even if it was only for a short-term." These were one of the many reasons why Seulgi loved Taehyung. He was good with words, and it carried understanding. He knew how to make everything right. "But, forget the past. Now is our time."

 

She pressed her lips against his, once again. This time, it lasted longer, and it was sweeter. It was what they needed to feel okay. With the simple action of a kiss, it marked that there was no more room for doubting or wondering about the what-ifs. Most of all, it meant that they were together, and that they finally had each other in their arms. Nothing was going to change that.

 

Pulling away, Taehyung's tone lowered: "I hope you know that I love you more than I've expressed."

 

"I told you that you were a sap." She couldn't help but . He didn't disagree. She reached up and pecked his cheek. "I love you, Taehyung."

 

He hummed happily, and ordered: "It's getting way too cold out here, so let's go home."

 

She frowned as her expression fell. "Didn't you have other plans? I don't want to end the night just yet."

 

"Earlier, I was thinking of going out to dinner, but I'm afraid you're going to get sick."

 

"Don't worry about me."

 

"Too late, you're visibly shivering. Let's get you warm and I'll make us dinner, okay?"

 

Excitement bubbled within her, and her frown diminished. 

 

Holding hands the whole way, the overjoyed pair ventured back home. It wasn't too far of a walk, but with the temperature, Taehyung regretted not taking the bus. Despite Seulgi's constant reminder that the chill in the air was the least thing on her mind, he couldn't help but worry about her. 

 

Arriving at the residence, Taehyung cleared his throat and curved an eyebrow: 

 

"So, does this mean you're my girlfriend?"

 

"Is that your way of nonchalantly asking? If so, then no."

 

He chuckled. "If only it was that easy, huh?"

 

"It could be, but I want some effort from you."

 

"Effort? If we're talking effort, I think I did a -ton of it today!"

 

Amused, she giggled and planted her lips on his. 

 

"What do we tell our parents exactly?" He prompted. They entered the living room and stripped off their coats. "We're not only best friends, but lovers, too?"

 

"Exactly that."

 

"Well, in that case, you can't stay over, then."

 

"Why the hell not?"

 

"We're technically together, so wouldn't that be pushing our parents' sanity?"

 

"Definitely not," Seulgi winked, taking a few steps towards him. A wicked grin played at the corners of her lips as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "They don't have to know yet."

 

Her duality shocked him to the point where he was left speechless. It lasted for only a couple of moments before he was able to straighten himself out. Even so, he fully supported her idea, and stuttered out: "So, you want some ramen?"

 

🐻🐯

 

i loved writing this, and im glad that i finished it once and for all. not that im expecting any reads, but thank you for anyone who does and most of all, enjoys! i appreciate it a lot. (: