Santa haraboji

Gone but not forgotten (a Christmas story)

Gone but not forgotten 

 

Resting his head against the cushioned back of his arm chair ,watching the the flames flicker ,cracks and snaps of the fire adding to the peaceful atmosphere of his small house the light creating shadows that danced up the wall. 

 

Namjoon sighed contently with his adorable grandson curled up in his lap fast asleep, his daughter and son in law long retired to their bed after the older reassured them that he would eventually take the young boy through before he went to his own bed but somehow he felt that wouldn’t be for a while yet. 

 

Looking above onto the fire place his smile dropped slightly as he took in the pictures many filled with him ,his daughter Jea and the love of his life Seokjin. A wave of sadness washing over him ,a lump forming in his throat soon pushed back down by the feeling of tiny hands pushing him softly as yoosun readjusting himself comfortable once again. 

 

Taking in the five year olds features Namjoon was still astonished that the child resembles his husband so much despite the boys mother having been adopted by the couple when she was only a few months old, Namjoon smiled the soft hair away from his grandsons eyes “maybe you’ll even to grow up to be just like him yoosun ah” he mumbled softly his voice low and soothing before looking back to the photos again smiling at one taken just before the other had passed away. The pair hand in hand smiling happily their grandson a year old cling to his gampa’s leg barely able to hold himself up face scrunched up obviously screaming loudly for his grandparents to hold him.

 

“Appa? I thought you went to bed ages ago” jea had spoke  bringing the elder back from his thoughts “I was but I couldn’t bare to move him” he answered motioning to his grandchild fondly before moving that same loving fondness back to his daughter “and what about you? Santa haraboji isn’t coming for two more days” he mused smiling widely ,his dimples on full show still even in his old age “appa” jea laughed along sitting on the couch pulling a blanket around her shoulders ,her face softening “I miss him too it’s ok but I’m sure yoosun will love your version just as much as I loved his” she added reaching over gently squeezing her fathers arm reassuringly. 

 

Namjoon nodded “its quite funny tho you never used to like it , in fact you were terrified the first few times” the older chuckled “that is until you realised it meant you got a present then you were obsessed right through to Christmas with “papa when is Santa haraboji coming , how will he know where I live?” He added watching as jea retreated under her blanket. 

 

 Namjoon deciding one more quip couldn’t hurt “my favourite was when you asked me why papa and Santa looked the same ... I think you were eight maybe nine?” He spoke trying to think of the memory as best as he could. His daughters short brown locks pooping out first as she held the fabric tight  around her face “mmm I think I was more devastated to find out he wasn’t real than I was when I found out I was adopted” she joked. 

 

 

“Santa’s not real?” A groggily sleep filled deep voices joined in from the doorway, the pair looking up over to the source at Jungkook hair in every which way direction trying to rub the sleep from his eyes.