D - 3

Winter Wonderland

Eunbi found herself miraculously awake at 8 in the morning and was currently digging through boxes in their study.

“Could’ve sworn I put it in here somewhere…” the girl frowned as she placed the lid back on one of the boxes. Drumming her fingers on the lid, she looked around her small workspace. They had gone through a grand spring cleaning before moving in so that they wouldn’t bring excessive clutter to their new home 2 years ago. But now, Eunbi wondered if she tossed out several… valuable items.

“B?” a raspy voice called from the doorway. The girl turned around to find Yerin, still half asleep, leaning against the doorframe whilst rubbing her eyes. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing much, I’m just trying to look for something. Go back to sleep?” Eunbi offered a smile to Yerin who nodded and disappeared down the hall. The dancer turned back to the box that was sitting on her swivel chair and paused for a second as she tried to recall her train of thoughts before she was interrupted. 

Eunbi lifted the box and placed it back onto the shelf above her desk in turn for the one beside it. As soon as she opened it, her eyes lit up.

“There you are,” Eunbi whispered to herself as she brought the dry box out of the sorting box and onto her desk. She opened the clasps and lifted the plastic lid to see her old camera, resting nicely in the foam bed. Picking it up, she smiled and looked back at the door where Yerin stood earlier. She could hear the light snores coming from the other room and a small smile tugged at her lips. 

Yerin is gonna love this.

 

❄      ☃      ❄      ☃      ❄


 

Yerin opened her eyes to see Eunbi smiling at her.

“Uhm..” Yerin groggily sat up. “Why are you watching me like that?”

“I have a surprise for you,” Eunbi’s smile grew wider.

“Okay…? But please stop smiling like that. I mean I like your smile but you’re just creeping me out at this point.”

“Go wash up, we’re going out.”

“5 more minutes,” Yerin groaned and was about to lay back down when a hand caught her shoulder and pushed her back up.

“Now,” Eunbi said and herded Yerin out of bed, much to the other girl’s chagrin.

Eunbi had asked for Yerin to bring her camera along and so she did although with some confusion. 

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going?” Yerin asked, buckling up in the passenger seat.

“We’re going on a photography excursion today,’ Eunbi grinned. “I remember you told me something about being burnt out with work and so I figured that we could go out to freely take photos of anything and everything. Although this still is kind of like work, at least it will be something you want rather than something other people want.”

“Oh, Eunbi…” Yerin cooed and reached out to rub Eunbi’s head. “I never thought you’d remember that. You’re so sweet.”

“Shall we? I did some research on places we could go,” Eunbi said, blushing as she started the engine. “But we’ll get lunch first of course. Can’t work on an empty stomach can we?”

“Certainly not,” Yerin smiled.


 




 

“If I’m taking photos, what will you do? You’re not just gonna watch me, are you?” Yerin asked as she attached the lens onto the body of her 1D X ii.

“Of course not. I’ll take photos with you,” Eunbi said with a smug smile. She turned to the back seat to get her bag and pulled out the camera she found this morning. “This was what I was looking for this morning. It’s a little old but it still gets the job done.”

Yerin’s eyes widened at the camera in the dancer’s hand. It was indeed a later model but Yerin was more surprised at the fact that Eunbi owns one.

“I never knew you were into photography,” Yerin gave an amused look.

“Well… I got it back in college…” Eunbi started, looking a tad embarrassed. It wasn’t too hard to figure out why she was though. Seeing Yerin’s knowing look with a hint of amusement, she quickly frowned and waved her hands. “I just wanted to play around with a camera myself!”

“Sure sure, if that’s what you say,” Yerin laughed.

“Where do you feel like going?” Eunbi asked. She had handed her camera to Yerin who wanted to play around while she pulled out of the mall’s car park.

“I’m not sure. I haven’t done this in a while,” Yerin said thoughtfully.

“It’s okay, we can drive around while you think. Maybe you’ll see something that catches your eye or give you an idea.” Eunbi smiled.

“Sounds like a plan.”


 

❄      ☃      ❄      ☃      ❄

 

 

Eunbi smiled at Yerin who was currently kneeling by a bush trying to get a shot of a huge dragonfly that had landed on a cattail. They wound up by a small park after driving around the city. The rays of light that hit Yerin made the girl look ethereal and the puffs of condensation from her breath? Perfect. Eunbi raised her camera and pointed it at Yerin — who was still focused on the dragonfly — and pressed down on the shutter.

The sound caused Yerin to turn back at Eunbi who shot her a smile and a thumbs up.

“Are you suddenly into portraits?” Yerin joked as she strolled to Eunbi’s side.

“Just your portraits,” Eunbi winked. She looked back at the photo and saw that she had captured the moment perfectly.

“That’s partially why I love photography. It might be a little hard to get nice pictures sometimes but the results of patience are definitely worth it,” Yerin said as she slung an arm around Eunbi’s shoulder while resting one arm on her own camera hanging from her neck. “Do you want me to teach you?”

“I think you did… once. But… I forgot,” Eunbi gave an apologetic smile but Yerin didn’t seem to mind.

“Manual can be scary but once you get the hang of it, it’s really easy,” Yerin took Eunbi’s camera and began explaining what the dials do and how to work the settings according to the environment. Comparing it to the human eye, Yerin made it seem effortless to master.

“That’s it?” Eunbi asked incredulously.

“That’s it,” Yerin confirmed.

“That’s… so much easier than what I remember reading back in college…” Eunbi cocked an eyebrow as she fiddled with the settings.

“Maybe it’s ‘cuz I’m the teacher,” Yerin puffed her chest proudly only to get a light smack, causing her to shrink away.

“Keep flattering yourself,” Eunbi playfully rolled her eyes. Lifting her camera, she pointed it at Yerin and applied what she had just learnt. “Say kimchi!”

“No!” Yerin stuck her tongue out and the dancer clicked anyway. As Yerin threw her head back in laughter, Eunbi’s finger remained on the button and a burst of photos were taken. She looked back at the photos ad scrolled through it, stopping on one. 

Yerin had tilted her head back and her hair flowed over her shoulders, her eyes were curved up into little crescents and her gummy smile was proudly displayed. And just as Yerin taught, the bokeh in the background was just right, making the whole photo seem like a masterpiece. Well, it is a masterpiece.

“I think this is my new favourite picture,” Eunbi said breathily, eyes still glued to the small screen.

“I think you’re a natural, B,” Yerin smiled like a proud teacher as she ruffled Eunbi’s hair. “I think we should do this more often.”

“I guess I’ll have a whole high-quality compilation of your photos then. Not that I mind.” the dancer cheekily stuck out her tongue and Yerin pulled her along by the shoulder.

“I’m sure you won’t. Come, let’s exercise your new skill by the pond.”