D - 2

Winter Wonderland

Let me know when you’re done? I’ll come pick you up.

Sure. You wanna go somewhere?

Kind of. I wanna go to this restaurant a little outside the city. I’ve only been once with another friend but it was good so I thought we should go try it together

Alrights then. I’ll text you

See you :)

 

Yerin placed her phone beside her with a smile as she turned back to the cartoon on the TV. Eunbi was currently out with a friend for lunch and so the older girl was left to her own devices. To pass time, Yerin settled on rewatching some old cartoons.

She had gotten so engrossed that she almost missed Eunbi’s text. It was then that she realized she had already gone over half the series and was about to start on the third of four seasons. Switching the TV off, she quickly got a change of clothes and left.

When Yerin arrived, she saw that Eunbi was standing by the pick-up point with her friend, engaged in a conversation.

“Hello ladies,” Yerin greeted as she wound down the window.

“Hey there,” Eunbi’s eyes lit up as she looked inside. “you here offered to wait with me."

"Hi," you waved with a grin.

"How nice of you. Hop in, I'll give you a lift," Yerin beckoned at you.

"No no it's alright, wouldn't want to bother you two on your date."

"Nonsense! It's cold out and I'm sure it's faster than taking the bus or train. Just hop in, it's really no problem," Yerin smiled with an assuring nod. you hesitated for a second before getting in the backseat while Eunbi hopped in the front.

"Thanks."

"So where do you live?" Yerin asked as she pulled out of the pick-up point.

"I'll guide you, it's not that far from here," you said as she leaned between the seats. 15 minutes later, the trio had arrived at a small apartment complex in Mapo-gu.

"Thanks so much, Yerin," you said as she hopped out of the car. "Enjoy your date!"

"See you!" Eunbi waved at her friend. Turning back to Yerin, she saw the girl rerouting the navigator.

"So how was your day?" Yerin asked. Her soft and gentle tone made Eunbi smile.

"It was alright. It's been a while since I met her so it was a good catch up session."

Yerin hummed with a small smile and Eunbi recognized it as the girl saying "that's nice". A comfortable silence fell upon the two as they drove to their destination. By the time they reached and found a parking spot, the sun was about to set. Since Eunbi wasn't feeling that hungry, she opted to share the few dishes with Yerin.

After dinner, they walked out of the restaurant and saw that darkness had settled in and the Christmas lights were on.

"Woah, B, look!" Yerin gasped, shaking Eunbi's arm. The girl looked at Yerin and followed her gaze to a row of trees in the distance. The trees were wrapped with warm lights and seemed to twinkle in the dark, casting a soft glow on their surroundings. 

"It's beautiful..." Eunbi stared at the lights. "But let's get our lollipops before going to explore."

Yerin nodded earnestly and followed Eunbi to the small convenience store a little down the road. Eunbi chose a grape flavoured one and Yerin, a cola flavoured one. They savoured their lollies like children as they strolled back to the lights. Eunbi was trying to disgust Yerin by obscenely the lollipop.

"You're incorrigible," Yerin laughed when Eunbi herself lost it at her disgusting act. As they approached, they saw that there was a small pathway leading to the entrance of a modest mall.

"Let's go take a look," Eunbi said and slipped her hand into Yerin's, pulling them towards the entrance. There were a few shops on the ground floor selling an assortment of items like miscellaneous decorations, toys and even a small shop selling a range of coffee beans. The second floor consisted of mainly diners and restaurants and so they moved to the third which seemed to be a roof garden.

"I can smell your grape lollie from here," Yerin laughed as they arrived at the top.

"Well, it smells better than it tastes. It tastes artificial," Eunbi said but on the lollie anyway.

"If you want a more authentic taste then maybe you should a grape," Yerin said and chuckled at her ridiculous comment.

"Skin and all? Wouldn't I taste nothing then?"

"Maybe... skin it. Then it." Yerin said and Eunbi stopped to look at her. "You know what? Forget it." 

Eunbi let out a loud laugh and almost instantly slapped a hand over before her laughter could echo off into the neighbourhood below.

"You're ridiculous," Eunbi shook her head. It was dark on the roof but Yerin could feel the girl smiling. They walked up to the railings and was about to approach but saw that there was a red sticker on the small wooden platform.

"Do not step," Yerin read aloud. In sync, both of them stepped up onto the platform and laughed.

"We're like a bunch of rebellious teenagers," Eunbi cackled. Looking over the railing, they saw that the beautiful lights were just downstairs. They admired the lights in silence, taking in the peaceful surroundings. Yerin was about to say something to Eunbi but when she turned over, she found her words stuck in . 

The roof was pitch black but as the girl looked in the distance, the lights from the trees below cast a soft glow on her face, making her look surreal. It was nothing special and yet Eunbi managed to unknowingly take Yerin's breath away.

"You're beautiful," Yerin somehow whispered and Eunbi turned to her with a questioning hum. Their eyes met and Yerin swore she saw a twinkle in the other girl's eyes.

"What's with the sudden compliment?" Eunbi tilted her head.

How you seem to glow in the lights, the twinkle in your eyes, the way your hair falls perfectly over your shoulders, how you look completely at peace...

"No reason," Yerin said in almost a whisper. They were the only ones on the roof but the photographer didn't feel like disrupting the silence. She pulled the lollipop from and took half a step towards Eunbi, pressing a kiss on the side where the lollipop stick wasn't present. Eunbi was surprised at the sudden display of affection but quickly recovered and removed her lollipop so that Yerin had full access to her lips. Yerin rested her free hand on Eunbi's waist and the latter let her arms hang on Yerin's shoulders, careful to avoid touching Yerin's hair with her candy.

"You taste like grape," Yerin whispered amusedly when she pulled away.

"You just taste like you," Eunbi grinned. "Sweet."