The Fearless Feather and The Thunder

Of Fallen Wings & The Six Tails

Of Fallen Wings & The Six Tails

 

7. The Fearless Feather and The Thunder

*****

 

As Hyewon roamed the city after her brief encounter with Sakuya hours ago, the city seemed to be restless as people talked endlessly about what had happened earlier in the day. The distraught faces of the endless sea of people who chattered on their future and what to do next as she kept her head low, hoping to pass by unknowningly. The city was covered in a state of uncertainty and restlessness that plagued the air like an unseen veil that took over the minds of all in them there. A few merchants were seen packing up while others were selling off everything they can as they already decided their plans on leaving. The ones who stayed could only shake their heads at the situation since this was their life at stake, not willing to make such rash decisions like the masses.

 

Because of all the commotion, she went to the more secluded part of town where she once was the night before. As she was about to think of her own plan in the city, a person watched her closely before she started to yell.

 

"Hey you! It's not safe out there, come here!" A voice called over to Hyewon from a nearby building.

 

‘That voice...she was one of the 2 speaking yesterday night. They said that Sakuya warned them about something.’

 

“You in the black cloak! I’m talking to you!”

 

Hyewon looked over and saw a very animated woman waving for her to come over. The enthusiasm in her movements almost reminded her of a little kid with how much she moved her arms.

 

‘Might as well see what I can find out from them if they talked to Sakuya before...’

 

She quickly paced towards the building and the woman opened the door wider to let her in. The room was slightly dark but decently lit from a few stray rays of sunlight that filtered through the light curtains that smeared the wall across the window. Looking around the room displayed many items for sale from talismans, medicine, trinkets and what not.

 

‘No ordinary shop it seems.’

 

The woman came from behind and gave her a knowing nod, happy that she came into the shop.

 

Hyewon returned the gesture to acknowledge her as she watched the woman go behind her counter.

 

"Things seem to get more crazier and crazier it seems huh?" she asked.

 

Hyewon went over to her and answered. "Yes it is."

 

"By the way, the name's Yena and this is my friend and business partner, Chaewon." The woman finally had a name and displayed her partner that just came from the back.

 

"Greetings." Chaewon nodded with a worried smile plastered on her face.

 

"Greetings Yena-ssi, Chaewon-ssi my name is Hyewon." 'And she's the other voice from yesterday also…..'

 

A curious look shot Chaewon’s face. "Hyewon-ssi only? No family name?"

 

Hyewon blinked a few times thinking about it but soon answered in a lower tone. ".....I don't have one."

 

The duo turned their heads to look at each other with a knowing gesture and then looked back at her.

 

".........I see."

 

"......makes sense." Yena added.

 

Hyewon turned her head to question why. "Hmmm? Does it?"

 

"....you're a Kumiho that’s why." the duck lipped woman said rather nonchalantly.

 

Even as Hyewon watched the duo’s face with her unmoving face, none of them were scared or seemed suspicious of her as they awaited her response. Thoughts began to pop up in her head but she quickly dismissed them, wanting to look like she didn’t know what they were talking about as she answered them.

 

".......I think you have made a mistake."

 

Yena smiled and leaned over the counter with her arms wide open.

 

"C'mon, I’m no fool Hyewon-ssi. To tell you the truth, that's why I told you to come in here since I know you're one. I'm not gonna report you or anything if that's what you're wondering since there's plenty living here in Pusan as is and they do no harm." she stated confidently as she tapped her fingers on the counter.

 

"How did you know if a person is a Kumiho?”

 

With a quick flash of a smile, she explained. "Experience. I've had many dealings with the supernatural and the unknown throughout my lifetime ya know? If anything, I’m more familiar with Kumiho’s than you might think. Also, ya know this is an occult shop right?"

 

Hyewon shrugged her shoulders slightly. “I felt like I kept myself hidden pretty well."

 

"You do….it’s just that I’m a good people reader….or Kumiho reader I guess? You know, thinking about it, you smell kind of familiar in a way." Yena shared, sniffing towards the raven haired beauty like a weirdo.

 

Hyewon leaned back a bit and began sniffing her clothes but nothing seemed out of the ordinary in terms of stench or smells.

 

"Really? Just when I thought I washed myself enough before coming here…"

 

Yena laughed and waved her hand in dismissal, trying to correct herself. "I didn't mean you stink or anything, you just have a nostalgic kind of smell."

 

"Ahh, I see. Kind of weird to be smelling people don't you think?"

 

A hearty chuckle came out of the duck-like woman, tilting her head back in laughter.  "Ahahahaha...well it's making for an interesting conversation though, right?"

 

"...you're a weird one huh?"

 

"Well, I wouldn't like to be normal to be quite frank."

 

“That’s...great….I guess?”

 

She pointed at Hyewon and gave her a wink. “Better than being normal at least.”

 

Hyewon didn’t know what to think of the woman. She seemed friendly for the most part and didn’t seem to have any ounce of evil intent in her. If anything, she felt like someone she could trust and there was not much people in the world that she trusted if anything.

 

“So why did you want me to come in here since I'm a Kumiho?” she questioned.

 

Yena gave a small ‘Ahh’ before using a finger to tell her to come closer. “Because of a story I’ve heard from an Elite earlier this morning.”

 

Hyewon’s eyes widened at the term, not knowing who or what they were but she definitely knew what hunters are. “An Elite?”

 

The quiet Chaewon finally made it her turn to speak as she held one finger in the air.

 

"An Elite Hunter. High level Hunters that mostly take care of supernatural occurrences that regular Hunters usually can't deal with. They’re pretty secretive but they have a headquarters in the Capital and apparently, there are Elites around the world. Rumors are that they have rather unique abilities that no ordinary humans have which is why they're Elite….alongside their skills of course."

 

"Should I be worried?" Hyewon asked rather cautiously.

 

Yena caught her attention again as she spoke. "Just because you're a Kumiho? Nope….but only if you don't cause trouble or keep killing people. They leave Journeying Kumiho alone or even help them if needed."

 

"Journeying Kumiho?" Hyewon asked, curious to what she meant.

 

"The Kumihos on the journey to not eat any hearts or livers for 1000 days so they can become human. Quite a hard feat but there's many around here in the area."

 

As the new term entered her brain, so did the thought of other Kumiho being around her trying just as hard as her to become human. She tried becoming a Journeying Kumiho ages ago but compared to these Journeying Kumiho, she’s always been on the run and because of Hunters being everywhere, she would regularly come into combat with them even if she didn’t want to fight. Because of how relentless Hunters were, it would often lead to the death of them and eating their hearts was the sole reason why she’s been able to live throughout these years.

 

She concluded her thought and remembered something from yesterday night that she felt.

 

"I guess that's why I feel faint traces of Kumiho around here when I came into the city yesterday night."

 

Chaewon answered before Yena could open . "Their Kumiho energy will slowly dissipate the longer they do it and by the 850-950 days of not eating, you can barely trace it. After that is when you can't feel it at all."

 

"You both are quite knowledgeable about this…"

 

The duo looked at each other again and back at her with a knowing smile. "We may have a few Kumiho friends that hide around here…." “And many are close to becoming Human. We just want to help in any way we can.”

 

A half smile finally broke on Hyewon’s face, feeling the genuine thoughts and feelings of the duo. "That's nice to know…..and thanks for the info Yena ssi, Chaewon ssi.”

 

“No problem. As for you…..do you want to become human?” Yena asked.

 

Her face turned to what it once before, monotone, making it hard for them to read as she looked down from their view. “.....it’s a hard task….especially having to do it twice…..”

 

Yena raised her eyebrows in interest in her vague words. “.....I...I beg your pardon? Twice?”

 

There was a heavy silence in the air as the duo surveyed her closely. She remained unbothered but a sliver of sadness crept in her eyes for a moment until she answered.

 

“....I’ll tell you someday if we ever get closer.”

 

Getting the hint that Hyewon didn’t want to talk about it, Yena nodded as acknowledgement and let go of the subject. “Ahhh, I see…...we’ll I hope we do then.”

 

Hyewon nodded absentmindedly knowing that she probably won’t be there long enough to call a few humans her friends. Like Foxes, Kumiho’s themselves are usually territorial with each other with a few exceptions so the majority of them don't mingle with each other long enough to form large clans. Just knowing that there are a few Kumiho living in this city trying to do their best was reassuring that she too could have a future in happiness as well.

 

She released a small sigh and looked back up at their eyes. “So back to that Elite Hunter you were talking about…."

 

Yena rubbed the back of her head in embarrassment. “Oh yeah ....I got side tracked a little hehe."

 

"You mean ALOT." Chaewon chimed in as she began poking her friend in the chest, the latter trying to cover in return.

 

"Shhhh! As for the Elite, she was actually pretty nice...a bit goofy but very informative. Paid good too!” Yena leaned in closer to her. “Anywho, she mentioned something about Kumihos that intrigued me greatly and that’s why I called you here.”

 

“What is it?”

 

She walked away from behind the counter and paced toward the entrance of the door, looking outside from a small opening from a flap on the door.

 

“Something has been happening lately in this city and it’s been affecting Kumihos that turns them wild…..”

 

Hyewon walked towards her and stood behind her. “.....go on.”

 

The duck-like woman turned her head to face her. “That means you’re probably better off leaving this city soon.” The answer surprised her a bit since she wasn’t expecting it.

 

“But I just got here….?”

 

Yena walked away from the door and put her hand on Hyewon’s shoulder, leading her back towards the counter where they stopped. “Then at least stay in here at the shop, we have extra rooms in the back.”

 

Hyewon eyes darted around for a bit in thought before coming back to Yena’s. “I think I can take care of myself pretty well….”

 

The hand she had on Hyewon’s shoulder now wrapped around her neck. "Well friend, take this advice from me because some of those Kumihos that turned were my friends…Journeying Kumihos with no such intentions of eating human hearts or livers."

 

"So what does that mean?"

 

Chaewon spoke, her voice now a bit more serious than before. "Something is turning Kumihos into these things called Semi-Ferals and Ferals. I prefer that wandering Kumiho like you be wary of going out since humans already have a huge distrust of the kind."

 

Hyewon’s eyes shot back and forth between the two. “Why are you two concerned for me?”

 

Chaewon leaned on the table, clasping both her hands together as she looked down at them. "Your kind already has it rough so I thought of any help towards your journey in becoming human.”

 

".....I can see where you are coming from."

 

Yena patted her shoulder again. “So just stay here for a bit, we’ve helped plenty of Kumiho before and we’ll do the same for you.”

 

“Who are you two exactly?” Hyewon asked, curious to know more about the two close friends.

 

A hearty series of quack like laughs came forth from Yena’s lips. "Just some friends making ends meet with my buddy here, right Chae? The world around us is descending in chaos so both of us are hanging in there and trying to live for the best of it..."

 

"Yeah yeah, we're just surviving this crazy world as always. You'll never know what happ-"

 

*THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM*

 

Yena let go of Hyewon's shoulders and ran towards the door, peeking through the flap on the door as she looked outside. "What the heck was that? Thunder again?" She saw nothing out of the ordinary, just a normal sunny day as usual.

 

The other two came right behind her and also looked outside. After a few moments of hearing nothing, they all looked at each other in worry.

 

“What is going on with today?”

 

--------------

 

Outskirts of Pusan - 10 Minutes earlier

 

Slivers of the afternoon sunlight sliced through the trees and broken down buildings, leaving a warm glow in the surrounding area but for one woman, it was different. As Chaeyeon watched the stranger come closer to them, all she could see was dark energy bubbling from the woman just like the man they saw before.

 

The duo stood firm, watching the stranger closely as she confidently loomed closer towards them. Her eyes caught their attention with it’s ghostly glow and it could only mean one thing for them.

 

Drawing a short blade from his sheath, he raised it towards the stranger. “You see her eyes noona? They’re white so that can only mean one thing...”

 

Chaeyeon started to jump up and down, getting herself warmed up knowing that this fight was gonna be unavoidable. She started to loosen her shoulders, twisting her neck from left to right before an audible pop was heard. “She’s possessed.”

 

“I know Kumiho has the ability to possess humans but other Kumiho as well? That’s the first that I know of ....”

 

“We need to break the possession and lower her stamina enough to release her…..” the blond warned, keeping her eyes on the energy that seemed focused near the stranger’s head.

 

“Gah….what a stupid time to leave our swords and bows at the camp back in the city.”

 

“We still have our blades and talismans at least…..”

 

The stranger suddenly lunged forward with her claws bared, spinning her body like a twister to slash at the two at once. Both dodged the attack but saw that the balls of fire went wherever she pointed at as she guided them to burn the two. 

 

“Too much chatter…” the stranger hissed, waving her fingers in motions as the balls followed her subtle hand movements. All 6 balls rocketed towards Jin, causing his eyes to widen as he got in a defensive position. One after another, they shot towards him as he quickly slashed at the flames but surprising to him, they didn’t fizzle like the usual fox fire against his blade.

 

“What the heck?!”

 

Chaeyeon rushed the stranger, attacking her with a flurry of punches but they were all dodged easily with just small sways of the body. The blonde then tried to sweep the stranger but she vaulted backwards in a flip and landed safely 3 meters away.

 

She looked at Jin who was still dodging the flames. “Fast, agile and fighting both of us at once? She’s good.”

 

As Jin continued dodging the flaming balls, Chaeyeon rushed in and continued her assault in hoping to find an opening.

 

“The more tails they have, the stronger their pyro abilities are! If anything, that means the man controlling her must be a rare 8 tailed Kumiho since purified blades can’t destroy the fire!” she yelled towards her teammate as she still tried to get a hit on the woman.

 

“Damnit, we barely even fight 6 or 7 tailed Kumiho!”

 

“Keep dodging, I’ll find an openi-...!” Chaeyeon ducked past one of the flaming balls as it flew by her face, sizzling a few strands of hair to a crisp. 2 balls now shot towards her, stopping her from attacking the woman and changing her course of actions.

 

“This is getting pretty annoying now!” Jin yelled as he continued stepping back and forth while flailing his body to avoid the flaming spheres from touching him.

 

The smothering heat from the flames was intense, rapidly draining his energy as he continued thinking of a plan to stop the stranger’s fiery onslaught. Chaeyeon had a much easier time dodging but knew that this was just a plan to tire them out. So she quickly grabbed patches of dirt on the ground and targeted the fire, causing them to fizzle out slightly as they burned through the soft debri and causing smoke to fill the air. Her eyes shot wide, surprising herself that her quick thinking managed to work in her favor.

 

She cupped her hands and aimed it towards her teammate. “Jin! The dirt here is damp, throw it at them to slow them down!”

 

Jin smiled widely, happy that he finally had a way to fight back. “Alright! Great thinking noona!”

 

Jin followed suit and began digging up dirt wherever he could, targeted the flames with pinpoint precision as he forcefully threw them angrily. The satisfying pops they made whenever the debri hit made him smile in satisfaction, knowing this fight wasn’t gonna be as overwhelming as he thought. Smoke began filling the air, clouding the area in a light haze and making the stranger lose focus since she was fighting 2 fighters at once.

 

Being distracted by Jin’s unrelenting targeting of her fires, the Kumiho grew annoyed at his amazing aim and unbeknownst to her, Chaeyeon came as light as a feather as she jumped into the air, spinning her body like a tornado as she let loose a sharp kick to the side of the stranger’s head with a vicious snap, knocking her down forcefully and leaving a dirt trail in her wake. Chaeyeon landed beside her and quickly raised her heel upwards to its fullest height, aiming at the stranger’s head as she brought it down to knock her out.

 

*THUUUD*

 

The Kumiho rolled away just in time, feeling the dust from the impact scatter near her eye as she got back on the knees. As she was ready to jump, the overeager blond grabbed her by the leg, using her strength to pull the stranger’s body up and then slamming her back down into the dirt below like she was a hammer to an anvil. Chaeyeon quickly climbed on the back of her, twisted her arm and locked it in place as she forced her whole weight on it. She fought many Kumiho before and knew she couldn’t take a chance with them considering their strength was much greater than humans. Even so, joints are always vulnerable and the easiest to target despite their strength.

 

“Move and your arm goes bye bye.” she threatened, putting more pressure on the joint as she leaned down.

 

“Heh…..quite a fighter are you? If I was a Human, I’d already be knocked out from your consecutive strikes. The power in your legs is quite impressive.”

 

She snorted, amused at the unexpected compliment. “Let’s just say that I’ve fought many things before and learned from my mistakes, don’t test me if you value your arm.”

 

“Noona!” Jin came running as fast as he could since the flames disappeared the instant the stranger took her mind off of it.

 

“What do you want over here in Pusan?” Chaeyeon questioned roughly, still applying pressure on the stranger’s joints.

 

“Heh….so I can spill my plans to filthy Humans as you? How insulting.”

 

“Are you the cause of th- *sshhhhhhhhhhhhhh* ....what the heck?!”

 

The stranger’s body started steaming up, simmering the air around her rapidly as it singed the duo with small burns. Chaeyeon quickly jumped off as the duo backed away, watching the stranger get back up with a fiendish bellow. She dusted herself off, raised her hands to her face and started mock buffing her claws as her eyes gleamed with a hint of violence.

 

“I don’t have time to play with worms so why don’t you enjoy Hell once I send you two there?”

 

The duo stood shoulder to shoulder, readying themselves in a fighting stance as Jin kept a knife in his left hand while Chaeyeon readied both her fists.

 

“Get ready Jinnie.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

The stranger chuckled at the sight, leaning forwards in taunting fashion as she readied her claws for them to see. “I won’t even use any powers to kill you 2 so take it as a parting gift from me.”

 

She began lumbering forward like a Tiger intent to kill and after a few steps, took off into a sprint, kicking up dust from where she was towards her prey. The duo rushed forward as well, Jin leading in front as Chaeyeon trailed closely from behind, stalking Jin’s movement like a silent shadow. The stranger made the first move, slashing at Jin as he came close but he dodged at the last moment with a feint to the right, then ducking below her arm as Chaeyeon came in with a wind up, plummeting forward with her fist into the stranger’s face at full force. The momentum caused the stranger to stagger backwards from the attack, leaving her open momentarily as Chaeyeon then started a barrage of punches, landing each one across the strangers upper body with loud smacks accompanying each one.

 

She suddenly stopped her assault, bent her knees readying up for a heavy kick as the stranger raised her arms to block any upcoming blows. The blonde let out a smirk as she readied to jump, knowing the stranger didn’t see Jin from behind, pushing her off balance as Chaeyeon vaulted into the air in a twist of her body as she snapped her foot forward and hit the strangers face with a sickening blow to the forehead. The stranger's body launched into the air, twisting like a broken tree branch as she crashed into the wall of a broken building nearby. As the feeble wall crumbled onto her, Chaeyeon rushed forward as she jumped through the wall but found no body on the ground.

 

“The hell?!”

 

She felt the stranger grab her wrist, tugging her off balance as the stranger's other arm straightened her clawed hand like a spear, ing it forward to her body. Chaeyeon quickly spun counterclockwise in a circle allowing the attack to miss and finding herself behind the stranger. She quickly used both arms to grab the closest arm of the stranger and pulled as hard as she could as she threw her into another wall of the building.

 

*CRAASSSSSHHHH*

 

The stranger slammed into the wall hard, bouncing her head twice against it but this time, the wall didn’t crumble as she stayed up, turning around just in time to see Chaeyeon rushing at her again. She stood firm and awaited the blonde as she got near before she ducked down, grabbing unto Chaeyeon and picking her up, now rushing towards a wall nearby with large wooden splinters sticking out of them like stalagmites from a cave. She positioned the body where Chaeyeon’s spine was located, running as fast as she could to impale the blonde as the latter began elbowing the side of the strangers head to stop her. Due to the position of her arms, the blows barely did any damage so she began biting the strangers shoulder, causing the stranger to let out a loud yelp in response and slowing them down just a little.

 

Staggering towards the wall just before impact, Jin rushed in from the side and managed to pick both of them up with his strength and stopping the stranger from impaling his teammate. He let go both of them and quickly dodged out a swipe from his attacker as she kicked Chaeyeon away to the floor and began an assault on the unexpected Jin. Left, right, downwards, he kept out of her reach thanks to his height and now began to parry her attacks as he monitored her movements like a hawk. He continued stepping back and parried each blow easily but being a broken down building, he stepped on a large piece of rubble, losing his and getting a swipe on his upper brow as blood shot forth from the rather large gash.

 

“Ahhhhhhhhh!”

 

As blood began to seep into his eye, he raised his hands up to block any blows and felt her beginning to carve into his forearms, bleeding him like slaughter to a kill. The stranger straightened her hand like before and just when she was about to spear between his arms, Chaeyeon came in with a flying straight punch to the strangers jaw, rocking her head as she crashed through another wall and landed outside again.

 

“Jinnie! Are you okay?!” Chaeyeon spat out as she looked at his bloodied forearms. His breath grew heavy and ragged but he nodded quickly to tell her he’s okay, Jin reached into a pouch he had on the side of his belt and pulled out a fabric with green paste in it and a roll of bandages. He tore off his cut up sleeves and began speaking again.

 

“She cut me deeper than I thought but don’t worry, I’ll be quick! Go after her and I’ll be right behind you.” he answered back as he took a glob of the paste and chanted a spell out. As it began glowing a faint green light, he quickly threw the bandage up above him, letting it loosen a bit as he began quickly applying the paste onto his forearms.

 

She patted him on the shoulder to let him know she understood. “Take care okay?”

 

With a quick turn, she sprinted with vigor in her eyes as she eyed the opening in the wall that led outside.

 

Jin caught the roll and began taping his bloodied arms up. After he finished, he cupped his hands to yell at her as he watched her go. “Just don’t go overboard noona! Be rational!!”

 

She looked back and yelled back. “Don’t worry about me but I’m gonna make her pay for hurting you!”

 

Chaeyeon jumped through the hole and found the stranger standing in the far distance waiting for her in an clear area surrounded by trees. The stranger brought her hand forth and taunted Chaeyeon with a “come here” gesture with her hands, laughing as she was doing so. As the blonde began walking forward, she reached into one of her pouches and took out 4 talismans from with needles at the end of each, throwing them against trees in a circular formation where they stuck.

 

The stranger eyed each talisman position. “OoooooOoooo what’s this? Magic tricks? Explosives?”

 

A smirk formed on Chaeyeon’s face. “A barrier that detects dark energy such as yours. You try to leave and you’ll get a nice shocking surprise.”

 

The stranger chuckled as she readied into a fighting stance. “You got a death wish human?”

 

Me? Nope. I’m here to win...and I’m doing it so you’re locked here with me, not the other way around.”

 

The stranger’s eyes narrowed and lowered her voice into a harsh tone. “Confidence will lead to your downfall.” she hissed.

 

Chaeyeon shook her head to disagree. “Confidence is all I have against Supernatural beings like you who can kill me in a heartbeat. I’ll beat this confidence into your skull so that you’ll release the Kumiho you have controlled.”

 

*TSK* “Good to know your place below us human….” the stranger began running forward with her arms out, her claws bared fully, yelling as she got closer to the blonde.

 

Chaeyeon wiped the sweat that was beginning to fall down her brow and simply smiled as she watched, jumping in place to get herself warmed up as the stranger drew nearer. Opening her eyes wide, she focused her sight and saw the faint energy trails in front of the stranger on where she’d be next.

 

The stranger was 5 steps away.

 

4….

 

3…

 

She twisted her body, took a large step forward and planted her feet squarely to the ground...

 

2..

 

1.

 

Tucked in her elbows to it’s fullest and then rocketed her fist right where the strangers jaw would be before she even knew it.

 

*WHAAAAAAM*

 

The force of the hit brought the stranger crashing into the ground below, kicking up dust into the air as Chaeyeon stood above her.

 

Dazed from the solid blow to the head, the stranger spun her legs around trying to trip Chaeyeon but she simply cartwheeled out of harm’s way.

 

“Familiar sight of seeing you on the ground for someone who talks big.” the blond quipped, causing the stranger to rise up quickly, launching assault on Chaeyeon quicker than she did before.

 

She blocked every attack the stranger threw at her but could feel her getting stronger with each attack as her arm strength began to wear down. The stranger then went for an overhead slash and as Chaeyeon tried to block it, the stranger feinted her blow and pulled her arms in an X stance, releasing a slash against Chaeyeon’s stomach and spilling blood from where she carved.

 

The force pushed Chaeyeon back as she felt around her chest, feeling the warm liquid in her hands as she looked down at her wounds and noticing how deep they were.

 

The stranger didn’t allow her to think as the next moment was her lunging at the blonde, gripping her shoulders and flipping over, pulling Chaeyeon with it’s momentum into the air and crashing into ground below.

 

She didn’t even lay there for second since she knew an attack was already aimed at her before she rolled out of the way just in time to see the clawed hands digging into the ground where her head just was. Not being far from her attacker, she quickly took something out of her pouch and got off her knee. She used her other knee and slammed it against the side of the attacker’s head, making her stagger backwards for just a moment but not before the blonde dropped something before rolling away. The stranger slowly rose up as Chaeyeon did the same, now both at a standoff with only a few feet away. Chaeyeon could feel the burning sensation of the scratches on her chest as she started to breath heavily from the blood loss. Even with all the heavy blows she landed against the stranger, she didn’t breath hard or look tired at all.

 

“I commend your effort but you’ll die here woman.” the stranger hissed out as she readied her claws again.

 

Even with all the pain she’s feeling, Chaeyeon began snickering as she took out a single white feather from her uniform and displayed it in her hands. It had drips of fresh blood in it because of Chaeyeon’s wound but she showed it off proudly. The stranger narrowed her eyes and watched her actions.

 

“What’s that for?” she asked.

 

“My gift to you for entertaining me.” Chaeyeon then threw it towards the stranger as she watched it fall towards the ground slowly, drifting in the air for a small moment until it hit the ground with barely as sound.

 

*PSHHHHEEEEEWWWWWWW*

 

*PSHHHHEEEEEWWWWWWW*

 

A mighty gust of air shot the stranger into the air, propelling her upwards as another gust shot out from where Chaeyeon was at. With her face upwards, the stranger didn’t know what was going on until she saw it….saw her. The figure of the woman she was fighting was right above her, spinning in the air like a top as she descended down like a tornado with one leg outward. It felt like slow motion as she watched the woman’s foot come closer...and closer…..and finally crashing down upon her face like a lightning strike from the heavens. The force of the kick propelled her body down as it crashed into the dirt below, leaving a thick trail of debri and dust to kick up off the ground where she hit. Chaeyeon landed softly and then sat on her knees, holding her arms close to her chest from the pain of all the twisting she did.

 

“Dance of the Crane: Crescent Moon.

 

She watched the stranger's body closely and saw no movement but waited. 10 seconds...20…...nothing. Letting out a sigh of relief, she reached inside a pouch from the side of her body and took out a small container and opened it. Saying a short chant, the paste began to glow a faint green as she loosened one layer of her top garment off and inspected the wounds.

 

“….I’m gonna be feeling this in the next few weeks.”

 

She took a glob of the glowing paste and began rubbing it into the wound but movement caught her attention as she let out a heavy sigh. She quickly stood up and faced forward where the stranger was, now standing like nothing happened.

 

“You’re a tough one aren’t you? Every other Kumiho who tasted the Crescent Moon had their lights knocked out for a few minutes at least.” she expressed gruffly in a disappointing tone.

 

The stranger stayed silent, not uttering a word as her eyes now glowed velvet. The dark energy she saw earlier began bubbling forth from her head and Chaeyeon knew the fight was now going to get more serious.

 

Movement was heard behind her and soon Jin was right beside her, still breathing heavy but not as much as before. He stared at the stranger and spat out a curse.

 

“…..red eyes now? A full possession…”

 

“We have to lock her down ASAP. She’ll swing more wildly now so she’s gonna be more deadly in her attacks but more vulnerable.” Chaeyeon stated as she readied her knife from its sheath.

 

The stranger let out a ghastly roar before jumping towards the duo like a hungry Tiger. She landed between them and started swinging her arms wildly, keeping the duo at bay as they kept a defensive posture. She clawed at Jin but Jin brought one knee up, stopping the attack in its tracks thanks to his height. He quickly brought his other knee to her jaw, lifting her up a few inches before Chaeyeon readied a punch from the side. The stranger shook the knee off and slashed at her with her claws but luckily, Chaeyeon read her movements parried with the back of her knife, spinning her body into a low leg sweep and knocking the stranger off her feet as Jin assisted, slamming her against the ground.

 

He then took two talismans from inside his outfit and slapped them unto the strangers shoulders as he held her down. Chaeyeon ran towards her legs and did the same, slapping two talismans unto the stranger’s legs as she held tightly.

 

Incantation Arts: Light Prison!” they yelled in unison.

 

Beads of lights manifested from the talismans, forming small white circular shapes as it locked onto the stranger as she struggled to break free.

 

Incantation Arts: Purification!”

 

The light started to envelope the stranger more and more, causing her eyes to flicker in and out from red to ghostly white to her natural color, reddish brown. The duo held on tight, feeling the power of their spell doing it’s magic. As the woman continued to scream, the dark energy from before began bubbling from the center of her stomach and started lashing out, whipping them far away with a force with enough energy to take their breath away.

 

As they laid down on the dirt, the talismans were still latched on to the stranger as the light continued it it’s process of purifying the stranger. As she screamed louder and louder, the wild black energy thrashing about was too much, now spewing fire into the air as it rained like ashes onto the trees below.

 

“W-what the hell is happening?!” Chaeyeon brought her head upwards, looking at the rain of fire above them helplessly.

 

As fire quickly began to surround them, the energy was finally able to knock the talismans off, breaking the spell in the process. The body of the stranger began to levitate upwards with her back in an arch like she was lifeless as she twitched from here to there. The dark energy began to draw back into her stomach like a black hole as it closed back up with a rather satisfying suction sound.

 

“Heh…..heh…..aha...ahahahahahahaha……” the voice of the stranger was no longer feminine, now low and gruff that had an echoing quality to it as it continued it’s laughter.

 

The strangers body now fixed herself upright as she stood to look down at the two still laying on the ground.

 

“I must say….you two managed to surprise me with your craftiness. However, I have more imp-”

 

*THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM*

 

A crackle of Thunder was suddenly heard in the distance above them and not even a moment later, strong gusts of wind blew out the surrounding fire that continually burned through the area. The duo covered their faces from the pressure as they laid there in confusion while the wind howled with an anger that deafened their ears. This lasted a solid 20 seconds before they all looked into the clear sky where the source was coming from.

 

“The hell was that?!” Jin yelled as he scanned the area above them and instantly saw the source.

 

From a distance of 30 yards, they saw 2 figures floating in the air watching them from over yonder. One was a small woman with oddly colored hair and a strange outfit that seemed similar to foreign Monks of Nippon but the other was a large glowing peach colored fox creature with fur that was seemingly burning. They saw that the small woman spoke to the creature and then jettisoned towards the area where the other male Kumiho was at, leaving the creature behind to look over them.

 

Chaeyeon slowly rose to her feet as she squinted to get a better look. “A….a flying fox?”

 

“W-what the hell are they?!”

 

The stranger’s attention was now focused on the flaming fox above as it crouched in the air and walked slowly towards her like there was a solid pathway in front of it.

 

"Noona….it's literally walking on air…."

 

The creature then stopped as it's fur began to flare up wildly, flowing in the wind like a threatened cat issuing a warning.

 

*GAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooOooooOoooooooOOOoo*

 

It let out a mighty roar before swiftly rocketing towards the stranger as she got into a stance, forming her flaming balls from before in front of her. The balls collided with each other and merged into one creating an orb even bigger than the woman herself as she ed it forward to collide with the creature. To their amazement, the creature continued it’s advance, opening its mouth and absorbing the whole sphere of fire in a single gulp as it continued towards the woman at blinding speed.

 

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM*

 

Rubble, debris and dust blasted into the air as the creature crashed into the earth below where the woman once was, now living a large crater in its wake. Another sound was heard as a large pillar of peach colored flames shot out from the crater it left, leaving a blinding celestial light to envelope the area. After a few moments, they saw and felt a vortex of energy that simmered the area in a rather calming warmness unlike the fire the woman had.

 

Chaeyeon signalled for Jin to follow her as they slowly advanced towards the crater to investigate. Upon looking down into it, there was no sign of the woman they fought as only the creature remained, looking up towards them with curiosity in its eyes. From that close, they could see more details of the creature and it was definitely a fox if there’s anything to describe it. At least 5 times larger than a regular fox, had a peach colored flaming fur with trails of moving black lines that flowed freely from its body like ink on paintings. Even within the fur glowed 4 orbs that moved freely inside its body that gave off a bright light, making the body itself glow slightly. It crouched down slightly before leaping into the air, landing right beside them as they watched it with slight nervousness. While Jin was a bit taken aback by it, Chaeyeon calmed her nerves a bit, standing firm to read its energy.

 

“Its energy…..its white…..controlled and composed.” Chaeyeon stated as she watched the serene power flowing from it.

 

Unlike the wild black tendrils from the Kumiho’s energy they saw before, this creature’s energy kept close to its body and barely even moved, showing that it had complete control of its power.

 

It watched them in great detail as it’s eyes shot back and forth between the duo and while it intimidated them from its looks, it gave no negative aura or feelings that were felt in the area. It suddenly opened its mouth where 2 bright white orbs came from out of it, lighting the surrounding area in a ethereal light. A pulse from the creature’s mouth shot the orbs into them, hitting them with a force that reverberated inside of them for a small moment until it shortly went away. They both looked at their bodies and the wounds and burns they had before were gone.

 

“W-what? My gashes and burns are healed?”

 

Chaeyeon began feeling her stomach and couldn’t feel any pain anymore. “It seemed like it..”

 

Jin slinked forward slightly and slowly bowed to it. “Thank you.”

 

*THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM*

 

Thunder echoed in the near distance as the creature’s head shot up at the direction where it came from. With a small crotch down, It looked into the sky and leaped away towards the sound leaving a trail of white flames in its wake as rushed into the unknown. They both watched it with a mind full of intrigue wondering just what the creature was.

 

“What was that? It can’t be a Kumiho can it?” Jin asked even if he knew Chaeyeon was just as clueless as he was.

 

“I’m not sure but it went towards where that man was at. The girl flew over there too…..I think we should see what happens.”

 

He looked at Chaeyeon with worry growing on his face. “You sure noona? We most certainly would’ve gotten killed just now if those 2 didn’t show up.”

 

She looked back at him and reassured him. “If anything, it fought against the stranger who attacked us so that means those 2 are not our enemies. If that one creature scared him off, the person with it before will most likely be just as strong as it.”

 

“Yeah…I guess. I kind of want to find out what they are also....”

 

“Let’s hurry.”

 

They then rushed forward to where they once were before, looking at the burnt and broken trees and debris around them that were broken in just seconds. The whole area was covered and even if they were happy that the creature helped them, they also feared the power they possessed. Being only Humans, they knew they couldn’t compete against Supernatural beings that can change an area in just a heartbeat. As they reached their destination of the broken building, they noticed that the negative air it had from before was gone. Besides that, all the debri that was scattered from before was turned into a rather large pile in the center of the open area in the middle.

 

“......uh….that’s weird.” Jin stated as he looked at the large pile.

 

Chaeyeon agreed as they stopped to look at it for a moment. “T-that definitely wasn’t there before…..”

 

As they passed it, they continued and walked into the building itself. As they reached the room, Jin began surveying where they saw the man sat before and sniffed the air around him. “The man…..he’s gone…….not even a trace of that horrible stench from before either. It’s like it was not even here.”

 

Chaeyeon herself looked around and saw no trace of the energy from before when it was raining ashes of darkness around them. All that was left was just the same broken down building that was overrun with vegetation. “All the negative energy is gone as well….”

 

After inspecting the place for a few more moments and seeing no evidence of anything, they soon headed out as their heads filled with thoughts of all that just happened. Jin began to speak again as they finally got back outside.

 

“Isn’t that weird since energy usually stays in one place?” he questioned as he looked back at the building they were just at.

 

“It might be that creature that was with us. Maybe it has the ability to purify things….just like how it heals us before.” She took one look at her stomach again and felt it again. Same good ol’ stomach she thought as she patted it. She then wrapped one arm around Jin and proceeded to walk back towards the city, thankful that it wasn’t their last day in the world all thanks to the 2 strangers that help them out.

 

“Let’s head back Jinnie for now, I’m too tired to investigate this anymore today but maybe your team will be in Pusan by now with more info.”

 

He let out a harsh breath, mind racing from all the thoughts that began running in his mind. “Gahhh...so many things are happening today that I don’t know what to think anymore noona.”

 

“Exactly. Let’s discuss what happened and we’ll go from there…..just thinking about this is gonna make my head hurt.”

 

As they began walking away, a pair of eyes watched them closely from the trees above. One was a crow and the other was a squirrel, both kept their beady eyes on the duo until they disappeared from their view.

 

“So…..how are we gonna do this again?”

 

“....like Ninjas.”

 

“....but didn't the Ninjas learn from you Tengu though?”

 

“.............like Ninjas.”

 

“....................”

 

--------------

 

Minutes earlier

 

As a petite woman began searching the broken down building frantically, she felt her friend land close to her and instantly transformed back into her Human form.

 

“.......that stinky bastard disappeared out of thin air!” she barked angrily, still searching around the place while throwing rubble around.

 

“Who was he?” The slightly taller woman patted her friend’s back, sensing anger coming from the smaller woman that she haven’t seen before.

 

“I don’t know but I smelled a fresh trace of my brother’s blood on his knife...or claws....whatever! If that bastard did anything to Sakuya, I’ll rip out his throat myself and feed him his own goddamn eyeballs!”

 

“Calm down Nakochan, you’re a bit too angry right now….” the slightly taller woman uttered, keeping her voice low to calm her down. Nako closed her eyes and began slowing her breathing, knowing her friend was right but still feeling a bit angry knowing that the man most likely fought Sakuya a few hours ago.

 

“I know…..I know……..” Nako went to hug her friend to calm herself more. She rested her head on her shoulders and looked upwards at the sky through the large hole on the roof of the broken building.

 

“But if Sakuya is alive, I need answers Tomi…....desperately.”

 

Hitomi gave her a reassuring pat on her back and looked around the area, seeing nothing but broken down rubble around them and feeling all the negative energy. They both released their hug and began talking.

 

“Can you sense him anywhere?”

 

“No….either he’s not here or he’s hiding somewhere. He was an expert in keeping his energy concealed even among Tengu older than him…..that’s why that energy burst we felt hours ago was such a strange thing to feel.”

 

Hitomi stared at her with interest, cocking her head slightly. “Because he’d never do that I’m guessing?”

 

Nako gave her a solid nod, knowing her brother like the back of her hand even if it’s been almost 2 centuries. “Yeah….my brother was a peaceful yet playful person who’d never start fights or anything. Even if he did get into one, it would never escalate to him using that much power that we felt.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Since we’re here, might as well cleanse this place…..it’s making me feel dirty.” Nako let out a small grunt, sprouting large black wings from her back out of thin air as it glowed a faint shade of blue. With 2 mighty flaps of it, the negative embers of the man’s energy began to dissipate alongside the rotten smell that hung around like a nasty haze.

 

Hitomi followed suit and raised one hand high into the air with her palms wide open, summoning forth a bright light into the center of it that glowed in a celestial brightness. She quickly clasped it within her hand, breaking it in the process as a pulses of clear energy began shooting from it rapidly, dispersing the negativity energy of the area with each pulse. Moments later, she looked around the area with a smile and nodded to Nako.

 

After their cleansing, they began walking out of the building and back towards the outside area.

 

“Then what should we do?”

 

“Keep a low profile in Pusan.”

 

Hitomi’s head tilted again, not knowing much about the Joseon Kingdom or it’s words, terms, etc. “Pusan? Is that the city we flew over that’s close by?”

 

“Yeah. I actually came here with my brother a few years before he died….it was much smaller before of course so much has changed in almost 2 centuries.”

 

“Are we going to stay there until he appears again?” Hitomi asked, not knowing Nako’s plans at all since it was out of the blue.

 

Nako saw all the debri laying around the area and sighed.

 

“So dirty….”

 

She used her wings to summon forth a wind to blow them all into a certain spot in a pile. “It’ll be a change of scenery at least right? Might as well enjoy it for a bit since we had nothing important to do back in Nippon anyway....”

 

Hitomi didn’t mind the plan but her face grew worried. “But we don’t speak the language….”

 

“I do actually.” Nako stated, a smile of happiness growing on her face as she looked at her finished pile in the middle of the area. “Ahh….that’s better.”

 

“You do? When?”

 

Nako turned back to Hitomi and dusted off her hands even if they weren’t dirty. “Back when my brother brought me here. He came here first and then wanted me to check it out since he loved exploring new places. As for the language, he brought me to his 2 friends he made and they both helped teach us the language while we were here.”

 

“Are they here?”

 

In almost an instant, Nako’s face grew unreadable…..sad in a way.

 

“............no. One works for the Gods so she's always busy and the oth-”

 

*shhhshhhhshhhhshhhh*

 

Noises was heard in the distance as they shot their heads in the direction where it was coming from. They could tell it was grass being stepped on as people ran towards them in a rapid pace.

 

Hitomi's face began to panic and she started jumping in place. “Ahhhh, those two people I saved are coming! Let’s hide!”

 

.

.

*POOF* *POOF*

.

.

As the footsteps got closer, a small squirrel was seen hanging on the back of a crow as they sped off into the nearby trees….

 

--------------

 

2 days later.

 

The sun shone bright in the early morning, sending the first shy rays across the land to awaken everything beneath it. In the city of Pusan, things were finally settling down after 2 closeby incidents that occured just 2 days ago: “The Red Lightning” and “The Thunder from Nowhere”. In one certain camp where 2 Elites stayed at, a rather curious woman came just as a certain tall man woke up, way earlier than he usually does since he couldn’t get to sleep from all the thinking the past few days.

 

"Hello?" the woman smiled brightly through her words, looking at the gentleman sitting behind a desk who still had tired eyes.

 

"Uhhh...yes? Do you…..do..*ahhhhh*…..I’m sorry…..uh do you need anything Miss?" Jin asked, yawning in between his words.

 

Her eyes were curious, sparkling and full of wonder as she asked. "Ah yes, is this where the Elite Hunters stay at?"

 

"Why yes it is, do you have a request for us? Any Supernatural trouble? Sightings?"

 

She chuckled for a bit. "Nope, I'm actually a Elite myself and Headquarters sent me down here to help out."

 

His eyes shot open, finally awake as he was hearing the unexpected news. He took a closer look at her and she was definitely nobody he’s seen before but she somehow looked familiar in a way.

 

"Really? We haven't heard from HQ about receiving any new Elite to patrol in and around Pusan. Plus your outfit is suspect."

 

She looked down at her outfit and laughed as she looked back at him. "Different region and country."

 

"Okay…..but no messenger birds or anything told us about a new Elite coming to Pusan."

 

"I think the birds got scared from the lightning from 2 days ago. It’s been quiet here right?"

 

Jin’s eyes looked upwards towards nothing in thought, trying to make sure if she was correct but wasn’t sure himself. "Makes sense I guess….but still, I'm not sure we can trust just anybody coming around here claiming they are Elite."

 

She slammed her hands on the desk he was on, startling him a bit. "Test me." she said with a rather large smile and looking rather charming to boot.

 

Jin’s face was unsure but just said the first thing that came to his mind. "Do our Salute."

 

The woman beated her chest with one hand with vigor and kept the other one stretched out, perpendicular to her body. Jin was rather impressed, mouth now puckered as he solidly nodded his approval of her salute.

 

"Okay…okay...I’ll give that to you…...now where is our HQ?" he asked, still not taking it as serious as he should.

 

"Which one? The one in The Capital or the secret one?"

 

The last part of the sentence made him open his eyes wide, now fully awake and thoroughly impressed.

 

He stood up quickly and went towards her as she backed away slightly. "Okay, you pass! Congrats!"

 

"How?" she asked, wanting to make sure even if she knew.

 

"Nobody but Elites know about the existence of a secret one so yeah….welcome aboard." He brought his hand forth and she took it eagerly. As she shook, he noticed that her grip was rather strong, surprising him a bit at the moment. As they let go, she threw in an extra bow in return.

 

"Thank you….uhhh.."

 

“Jin. Ahn Jin” he answered with a smile.

 

Her smile grew wider….and a bit mischievous. “Jinchan.”

 

He looked at her in confusion, wondering why she’d give him a nickname even if they just met.

 

"Uh….Jinchan?”

 

She stepped forward and patted him on the shoulder. “Yes...you’re now known as Jinchan.”

 

“Uhh...I guess? Umm...so….so what's your name?"

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

"Sakura….Miyawaki Sakura of Mount Sakurajima, Nippon."

 

End of Act 1.