Chapter 1/1

Sailing Together

    The sounds of shore birds and waves crashing was prominent like every day on Jeju Island.  Everyone woke up at dawn, went out to work, and continued on until they were finished. Many men worked at the docks while the women tended to the farms and houses.  In his boots like every morning, a young man smells the air of the water. He holds the fish nets to his chest as he walks across the sandy shore.

 

Smiling as he catches a glimpse of children playing in the water before school, the man stops and pays attention to a little girl who is letting a boy play with her short braids. 

 


"Up here, Son!" 

 

The man turned his head to his father who called him from farther away.  The island has it that you can hear things quite well at certain places with a certain volume.  What could be yelled at the highest peak of the island could very well be heard from the shore. However, yelling from the shore might not get you all the way to the peak.

 

The man tore his gaze from the children to the boat at the end of the dock.  He decided to toss the nets up to his father instead of going inside the boat and delivering them to his hands. 

 

"You're getting better, Son."  His father laughed as he caught the nets perfectly.  "And it only took you sixteen years." He said as he put the nets in the respected area.

 

"I only learned from you, Father."  Seungkwan smirked in his mutterings as he went into the boat.

 

Upon entering, he sees an older man and a younger man.  He recognizes the older man to be one of his father's friends.  However, the younger one rings no bell to him. He instantly bowed and gave a small smile to the older man, feeling comfortable knowing someone who is watching him.

 

The old man had eyes of a typical sea man.  They were glassy and looked like they've seen more than they can tell.  However, with the clean face, the young man was confused. Usually this old man would have a beard on, displaying his years he's had out on the sea.

 

"Mr. Joon, is there something wrong?"  He asked with concern.

 

The old man, Joon, returned the smile.  "Of course not, Seungkwan." He laughed.  "I'm going to be taking a short break from the waters."  He explained as he rubbed his bare chin.

 

The young man, Seungkwan, smiled and let out a relieved laugh.  "Phew.. May I ask what you'll be doing during this break, Mr. Joon?"  He asked as he reached out to the table in front of him and picked up a case of hooks.

 

"I've met myself a fair lady, Seungkwan.  I feel connected with her, so I want to take some time to court her."  He explained as he watched Seungkwan prepare for joining his father for setting sail soon. 

 

Seungkwan smiled as he gathered some more things.  "Really now? She is sure one fine lady to choose a man like you.  I have no doubt she'll be in love just by the way you groomed yourself.  Your pride was in your beard, Sir." Seungkwan laughed as he rolled his sleeves up.

 

"Ehh, you give an old man too much credit."  Joon teasingly slapped Seungkwan's shoulder. "Oh!  How impolite of me. I forgot to introduce you to this fine, handsome devil."

 

Seungkwan met eyes with the young man once again and offered a smile.  "Any friend of Mr. Joon is most certainly welcome to me."  He said while bending down to retie his shoes.

 

"My sister had a son a sum of years ago.  She remains a widow these days as she's taking care of her little girl."  Joon started up. "He's getting a bit old for her, so she wanted him to experience the sea life just like his uncle Joon."  He laughed.


 

Seungkwan bowed to the young man.  "I'm sorry to hear about your father.  I hope your stay here will be enjoyable."  He gave some kind words, even though he wasn't for sure of the circumstance the other male's father was in.

 

"Thank you.  I'll do my best to work with you and your father."  He spoke for the first time in the past ten minutes.


 

Seungkwan paused at the voice and offered a friendly smile.  "I can see it in your eyes, you'll be just as fine of a fisherman as Mr. Joon is.  It'll just take some time, that's all." He said honestly.

 

Joon gave a proud smile and patted the young man's shoulder.  "This boy here has a name, Seungkwan." He said.

 

"Surely everyone does, Mr. Joon.  Is it a good name?" He replied.

 

"His name has remained decent for this time, I trust a boy his age will keep it that way too."  Joon confirmed with a chuckle. "His name is Choi Hansol."


 

The newly-introduced man bowed instantly at the mention of his name.  Seungkwan bowed back with a faint laugh. "And mine has only petty things on it, Mr. Joon.  Things from once I was a child. My mother would go on about how often I would get in trouble with the other kids at the lake, but she hasn't had the energy since a few years ago."  He told as he stretched his arms.

 

"Once she goes, you can't stop her though.  You must admit, she's one woman that tells you all of the details."  He waved his index finger.

 

Seungkwan nodded with defeat.  "She'll go down to the very last tear I shed when she spanked me for bringing home a headless carp."  He sighed happily. "Anywhom, the name is Boo Seungkwan." He turned his attention to Hansol.

 

"Boo?  Do you like to scare people?"  Hansol asked with a clever smile.

 

Seungkwan gave a half-amused, side-ways smile.  "Like I haven't heard that one most of my years, Hansol."  He laughed. "Will you be staying with us or are you taking Mr. Joon's residence?"

 

Hansol's clever lips went down to serious ones as the conversation changed.  "Uncle Joon is allowing me to stay in his cabin." He informed.

 

Joon let out a sigh, gaining the young boys' attentions.  "It has come time for me to leave, Boys. I trust you will take good care of my nephew, Seungkwan."  Joon put a hand on Seungkwan's shoulder.

 

The younger nodded and put his arms around the older gentleman.  Joon still smells like the sea—a salty musk mixed with a little bit of beer and marinated fish.  It wasn't the best aroma, but it was Joon's scent. Something like this lingers around the whole boat with its mates.  Seungkwan can't complain about the smell, because he too doesn't have the best scent.

 

"I'll see you again, Mr. Joon.  Whether it be in this life or the next."  Seungkwan said when they pulled away from the hug.

 

When a man courts a woman, they tend to never come back to their past life.  Their new life is far more precious than the years prior; however, the years won't be forgotten.  The years of the past paved the road of the present; the present road now leads to the future. And wherever that road leads Joon is where he will end.  There's no guarantee that Joon will bring the lady of his eye back to the island and have a family with her, especially since Joon himself is nearing his later thirties.
 

Not everyone is destined to have a lover and family.  Some people need to stay single while still helping the world with their hands.  It doesn't mean this person is lonely or bitter; but life has it that their road never crosses with another's road.  And that's fine. Seungkwan understands that if he truly has someone to call his traveling buddy, he will find the person in due time.
 

Whether he meet this person tomorrow, next year, or even thirty years from now, Seungkwan will promise to always love that person.  He'll love that person as much as he did in the past and as much as he will in the future.

 

"You keep you're daddy and mommy happy, you hear?  You'll be a man soon, and it's your responsibility to keep them in line."  The man winked.

 

If the man still had his beard, Seungkwan might not have been so intimidated.  The clean face really shows off his handsome features, but Seungkwan misses the old look.  He's never found beards to be attractive, but it gave off a unique trait for Joon.

 

"I will, Sir.  I'll keep Hansol company while you capture that lady's heart."  He assured. "We're setting sail now, so unless you want to get some crab before leaving, I suggest you to be on your way."  He laughed.

 

Joon smiled and looked far.  "I wish I could stay, but my heart says to go away."  He joked with his poetry. "Bye now." He waved to the younger males as he exited the boat.

 

The room was empty now as Joon left Seungkwan and Hansol alone.  They turn to each other and lock eyes for a brief moment.

 

"How old are you?"  He asked.

 

Hansol noticed a tone change in Seungkwan.  Instead of having the happy, talking to a life-long fishing partner tone, Seungkwan had a stranger tone.  Hansol pursed his lips at the tone, forgetting all about the question until he saw Seungkwan's eyebrows raise.
 

"Uncle Joon said you celebrated your sixteenth birthday recently."  Hansol stated, making the other nod and perk his attention. "I had only celebrated mine a month after yours."  He admitted.

 

Seungkwan nodded and looked away with a bit of a smirk.  "That still makes me older, Hansol-ah." He gave a teasing huff. 

 

Hansol settled his nerves as Seungkwan's tone became more inviting, but a lot more caustic.  Not burning in a sense that he was being chewed out, but burning in a sense that he's teasing.  Hansol quickly put aside his held-in breath and copied Seungkwan's actions earlier: rolling his sleeves up and making sure his laces were tied.


"I'll tell my father we're ready now."  Seungkwan said as he left the room.

 

He walked up to the deck and saw that his father was having a bit of a hard time with pinning the nets to the sides of the boat.

 

"I have the nails here,"  Seungkwan informed, "sorry for taking forever.  Mr. Joon was telling his farewells to us." He explained as he quickly helped with the nets.

"Isn't it great, Son?  I thought Joon was going to be a single man in his life."  He said as he let out a strained sigh and relaxed when the net was finally how it was supposed to be.

 

Seungkwan nodded with a pleasant smile.  "Ladies have caught Mr. Joon's eyes most definitely, but it is surprising one caught his heart.  She must be one woman to like a man like Mr. Joon."
 

His father laughed and nodded.  "Most definitely. You've met his nephew below, right?"  He asked as he opened his flask of tea his wife had made an hour ago.

 

Seungkwan confirmed with a hum as he went above to look around the skies.  "The weather might get a bit windy, but looks like a good day to get some crab."

 

"Agreed.  We're going to loosen the tie now."  He informed while putting his flask in his bag that was carefully tied around his waist.

 

Hansol came up from below and watched as the rope around the post was loosened.  He looked around the boat to see what else needed to be done, but the father-son duo seemed to have everything under control.  He felt a bit out of place or like if he was just a viewer watching this scene.

 

The two are coordinated to the point that no words were spoken.  It's as if they forgot he was there too, not one glance was spared his way.  The wind picked up and moved them with the sail they drew; the water hit against the sides of the boats; and the birds sing about the light storm that will be coming closer to the evening.  Hansol didn't know what to do as he just stayed back and out of their way.

 

"This is a good spot,"  The father spoke out as he prepared the nets, "come over here and help me."

 

The tone changed from being happy about finding a spot to in danger with the net.  Seungkwan turned from the other side of the boat and quickly ran over to the other man.  The father let out a pained yelp as a tearing noise was heard. Hansol stood there frozen in his spot as he watched this play out.

 

He examined the net from afar and saw that the hook on the other side of the net was too tight on it.  He moved his feet with instinct and unclasped the hook. Once he did, the tension of the net loosened on the father's belt.  The two moving on the other side looked at the relaxed net before looking across the way at Hansol.

 

The two looked lost—something that they didn't display on their expressions the whole trip out here.  Hansol moved across the deck to carefully take the hook out of the older man's belt and examined the skin there. 

 

"You should go back to the land, Sir.  I'll clean this out for you, but you should rest."  Hansol suggested. "Seungkwan and I can do some fishing while you relax."

 

The man was about to protest until he felt a hand on his shoulder.  He looked back at Seungkwan, seeing his son have raised eyebrows with a slight nod.  The man nodded back and turned his head to the youngest. 

 

"Very well,"  He agreed, "clean me up while Seungkwan turns us back."

 

Hansol walks the man down below and takes out his medical kit.  He tipped the bottle of disinfectant and put a little on a sterile cloth.  "It's going to hurt, Sir." He warned.

 

The man looked with a puzzled expression.  "Aren't things that heal you supposed to be painless?"  He asked.

 

"Sorry, Sir."  He furrowed his eyebrows and dabbed the ointment on the man's stomach.  He watched the other's natural reaction and fought the emotions that were coming in.

 

"It's better than getting an infection, Sir.  The men at the harbor can help you better, so please make sure you tell them when we dock."  He requested.

 

Mr. Boo nodded and watched Hansol tear a bandage open.  It was a light bandage, but enough to take care of its business until they reach the shore.  "I'll be going up to help Seungkwan now. Call if you need something." He said as he left the room and went on the deck.

 

 

Seungkwan's expression was twitching from strong to helpless as he stared out to the water.  The wind did its job of moving them again. Hansol silently came up behind the shorter. He carefully put his arms around the other's waist.

 

"H-Hansol?"  The other was hesitant and slightly turned back.

 

"I'm sorry about what happened, but I promise he'll recover."  He assured.

 

Seungkwan looked back out toward the water and shook his head.  "He wouldn't have gotten hurt if I put the net on correctly.." He muttered.

 

Hansol understood the other's mutters though.  He shook his head and held the shorter closer to him.  "No, it's not your fault. And if anything, we just need to make sure we're careful."

 

Seungkwan relaxed in the hold and sighed.  "Yeah.."

 

"One day, it's just going to be you and me out here.  We won't have another person here to help us." He stated.

 

Seungkwan instantly turned to face Hansol.  "Wh-what--?"

 

"Your father is going to want to spend time with your mother soon, Seungkwan.  It'll just be you and me out here." He explained. "So until then, we just need to make sure we're careful."

 

The other nodded and lowered his head.  "Right.." He said as Hansol brought him into a hug.  "I thought-"

 

"No."  Was all Hansol said.

 

 

They remain like that for a little while longer until they reach the shore.  Mr. Boo leaves the ship and they set out again after some other events. 

 

"Crab is probably off our list for now, but we can catch some other things."  Seungkwan mentioned as he looked at the time. "We'll still use the nets."

 

Hansol nodded.  "Teach me, Seungkwan."  He requested.

 

 

Seungkwan looked at the younger.  He forgot to ever ask about Hansol's experience.  He offered a smile and was happy to teach the younger his knowledge.  For once, he was the one doing the teaching. All of his life, he's been learning.  Now he can put his learning to the test.

 

 

"I will do my best, Hansol."  He said.

 

 

***

 

Evening came and they were making their way back to the shore.  With buckets full of fish and other sea life, they were ready to retire for the night.  Sitting inside with the boat slowly rocking back and forth, they share a table with some bottled water.

 

"What were you before you came to Jeju?"  Seungkwan asked as he crossed his ankles.

 

Hansol gave a look of thought even though he has a good idea on what to think.  It was his life, afterall. Shouldn't he know it best? "Just a student, Hyung."

 

Seungkwan smiled at the honorific.  "You don't have to, you're not that much younger than me."  He lightly chuckled.

 

Hansol shook his head.  "I would like to call you Hyung.  My classmates and I were never formal, but I don't want to be the same as them with you."  He explained, making the other form a softer smile.

 

"You're truly Mr. Joon's family."  He mentioned, making Hansol copy the smile.  "What are you most interested in?"

 

"Medicine.  I want to be someone who makes someone feel better.  Maybe not a doctor per se, but someone handy to have along."  He replied while relaxing his hands in his lap.

 

Seungkwan nodded as he was reminded about earlier.  "This morning, when you helped my father out. Thank you for that."  He said. "I know that I was a bit clumsy by tearing his clothes with the hook.."

 

"It's all fine, Hyung.  It was an accident, and I know Mr. Boo won't hate you for it."  He started. "No one in this world is perfect, Seungkwan." 

 

The older nodded and sighed while looking down at his water.  "How deep did the hook go in? I couldn't watch it." He asked as he played with the cap with his thumb.

 

"If the doctors were careful, he should be just fine.  Don't worry about it." He replied, thinking back at how the older man might need stitches.  "The doctors know best, I'm not a professional afterall."

 

Seungkwan nodded for the nth time today.  "Thank you. I really needed you today." He lifted his gaze to meet Hansol's eyes.  "After the accident too."

 

Hansol stood up from the chair and carefully walked to the one next to Seungkwan.  He held the older's hands and watched Seungkwan's confused eyes. "It's not a bad thing to need someone, so don't think lowly of yourself."  He said, rubbing circles on Seungkwan's hand with his thumb. "Just like Uncle Joon found his life-partner, I might have found my life-friend."

 

"Really?"  Seungkwan whispered. 

 

"I choose now and forever to not lie to you, Hyung."  He promised. "A kind of truth that won't hurt you, but save you is what I'll tell you."

 

Seungkwan's lips curve up at the corners, making a complete smile.  "Thank you, Hansol-ah. I hate to burden with you so much today.. but I've been rather lonely lately."

 

Hansol stayed quiet to listen. 

 

"My mother attempted to have two daughters before me: both had a name before they were born."  He started the story. "However, she could never have those beautiful, young ladies. When she wanted me, she didn't name me; she thought that naming before birth came bad luck.

 

"My name means that I'm a success of generosity.  Life thought it to be just for me to be born. Now I must make them proud and be the best success I can be."  He gave a smile that shined brighter than a lighthouse.

 

Hansol nodded and the other's hair.  "And a success you will be, Seungkwan."

 

 

***

 

A sum of years pass by.  Their ages went from sixteen to twenty-two.  Hansol has gained the knowledge of the sea with Seungkwan and the older's father.  Unfortunately, the cut from the years prior with the hook made it a bit tougher on the older male, making it more of the two young men doing the work.
 

Mr. Boo has retired recently and has given his boat to the two boys.  Joon hasn't come back, just as predicted. He wrote in a recent letter saying his lady has given birth to their second child.  The lady was only a few years younger than Joon himself, but still willing to have children of their own.

 

The seasons have done a number on everyone in the past years.  Storms set back some boats and the hot, humid air has picked up some allergies for the older people on the island.  However, all is well on little Jeju Island.

 

It is turning evening now, and the two are on the boat together like normal.  They dragged in some crab at the morning time and finished gathering some smaller fishes by this time.  They sit below deck while the wind carries them to the shore ever so slowly. Seungkwan tipped back his father's flask of cold tea.

 

"A good day today, if I say."  Hansol commented as he sat down at the table with a relaxed sigh.

 

Seungkwan confirmed with a hum.  "We should be home within an hour."  He calculated as he watched the water through the small window. 

 

"Hyung,"  Hansol started, gaining the older's attention, "I know this might not be the best time to talk, but I have something on my heart."

 

Seungkwan closed the flask and set it on the table.  "You can talk to me, Hansol. I'm not going to bite."  He chuckled. "Whatever is burdening you, share it at any time, even if I'm asleep."

 

Hansol smiled back and sat closer to the older.  "It's about us, Hyung." He was serious to the point where Seungkwan's smile went down.  "I want to talk about us."

 

"By all means, talk away."  He gave permission. 

 

He held Seungkwan's hand and cupped his cheek.  "My heart has been beating rapidly lately," He started, "when I'm alone in my cabin; when I'm eating at your breakfast table; while we're fishing; and even now."

 

Seungkwan opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out.  "I know it's crazy, and maybe it's the sea doing it to me; but the sea doesn't lie, Hyung.  Just like the waves, there's a purpose on why they crash against the boat wall there's a purpose for my heart to beat ever so much for you.

 

"Cheesy, crazy, call it anything—I want to court you, Seungkwan-hyung."  He ended.

 

 

They search each other's eyes for anything.  They didn't know what they were looking for and didn't even know if they would find anything.  Seungkwan leaned into the hand on his cheek and eyes trailed to Hansol's thin-lined lips. He wasn't dumb to the distance closing between their lips. 

 

"You feel that way about me?"  He asked in an almost-whisper.

 

Hansol nodded and thumbed the older's cheek.  "Don't worry about what your parents would say, I asked them beforehand."  He assured. "I want to seek your heart out, Hyung."

 

Seungkwan nodded slowly, bringing them closer with each movement.  Their breaths mixed a second later, making their eyes link again. The older shook a bit, his lips trembling with anticipation.  He waited and waited; he waited for the feeling and furrowed his eyebrows and pouted his lip as it hasn't come yet. Hesitant.  Seungkwan detected the other was cautious.

 

"I allow you to try me, Hansol-ah."  He answered the unasked question.

 

Hansol makes their lips one softly.  Their lips fit like puzzle pieces; it was a perfect match and Seungkwan couldn't believe how light-weight he felt.  He slowly raised his hand to hold Hansol's free hand. The kiss was long, but not long enough, in Seungkwan's opinion.

 

 

"Thank you, Hyung.  You've made me a happy man already."  Hansol smiled.

 

Seungkwan lifted his fist to tap it against the younger's chest.  "You're an idiot, you know.."

 

"How so?"

 

Realization hit the older at the end of their kiss.  "Our relationship isn't accepted.. We'll never truly be with each other."  His eyes started watering. 

 

"I don't care if we can't be legally married, Seungkwan.  I just want your heart. A fancy piece of paper is cute, but what is it without the real love behind it?"  He asked, holding Seungkwan's hands in his. "I'll take you away and we'll live together forever."

 

 

Seungkwan furrowed his eyebrows.  "T-take me away? But my parents-"

 

"Not literally, Hyung.  I could never leave the people you and I love.  But our hearts can escape together." He smiled and kissed Seungkwan's hands one-by-one.  "One day, our love will be accepted, and I want you and I to be there together."

 

Seungkwan's frown turned into a bittersweet smile.  "You promise, Hansol-ah?"

 

"Do you trust me?"

 

"Of course.." 

 

 

Hansol put some of the other's bangs back and put a kiss on the now-exposed forehead.  "I promise." He whispered as his lips went from the older's forehead to his nose; to his cheeks and to his lips; to his jawline and ending at his neck.  "I promise to love you in this life and the next." He said before putting their lips together again.

 

Seungkwan took a hand out of the gentle grasp and cupped Hansol's cheek, bringing the younger closer to him.  Their eyes stay locked for a few more seconds before closing together. Seungkwan smiled in the kiss, bringing the other closer to him while still sitting closer.

 

The kiss felt right, like there wasn't a thing wrong with it.  It felt like destiny pulled them closer. "Thank you, Hyung." Hansol whispered as he Seungkwan's hair.  "I've been afraid to tell you.."

 

"I understand, believe me, I do."  Seungkwan replied as he searched Hansol's eyes once again.  "Let's just.. Can I watch you until we get to the shore?"

 

"As long as I can watch you."

 

Seungkwan nodded slowly and smiled as Hansol thumbed the high point of his cheek. 

 

 

 

They made it to land and go their separate ways.  Hansol goes to his cabin and Seungkwan goes up the hill to get to his parents' house.  Upon entering, he sees his parents sitting together in the front room with a pitcher of tea.  He was offered to sit on the wooden chair. The wooden chair was the chair dedicated to someone who hasn't taken a shower yet.  Mrs. Boo would have a heart attack if a smelly man sat on her sofa.

 

"I take it that your trip went well, my Dear?"  She asked as she poured him a cup of tea.
 

Although tea and water is all he's been drinking all day, he automatically accepts the cup.  "It was fantastic." He replied.

 

He saw their knowing gazes.  He remembered that Hansol spoke to them beforehand.  Seungkwan's noticed that kids these days date without the parents knowing.  He finds Hansol's approach very ideal and more than appealing.
 

"We want you to have a happy life together, Seungkwan-ah."  She said with clasped hands. "Don't let the law tear you down."

 

"If you're happy with him, Son, go for him.  Give him a chance." His father followed up.

 

Seungkwan couldn't smile any brighter.  He might be competing with the burning fire at the fireplace.  "Thank you." He bowed his head before taking a sip of tea.

 

 

"Oh!  I almost forgot."  His mother put the tea cup down.  "Mr. Kwon down at the lighthouse told me this morning that there will be a storm coming in sometime this week.  I want you boys to be careful, okay?"

 

"Yes, he told us.  We have to get a shipment out to the mainland.  After that, we'll be off until the storm clears out."  Seungkwan informs. "We set sail tomorrow afternoon and should be back by the evening." 

 

His father nods with a smile.  "I'm proud of you, Son."

 

"Ayyyyee, don't be like that.  I'm going to go wash up and turn in for the night."  He said as he finished the tea. "Have a good night."

 

 

"You too, Dear!"  His mother called.

 

 

***

 

Hansol stretched his wings as he walked along the dock.  He yawned and looked at the clouds, seeing that they were a light gray.  He scratched his forehead and made his way to the lighthouse. Upon reaching the top, he sees the worker there.

 

"Good early afternoon, Mr. Kwon."  Hansol bowed.

 

The man with a hamster smile turned back and greeted him with a salute.  "The skies look a bit depressing, but you should make it to the mainland just fine."  He informed. "However, the evening might be a bit rough. If it's too bad, just stay there."

 

Hansol nodded.  "Right, I'll inform Seungkwan about it."

 

Kwon looked down at the boat to see Seungkwan loading supplies.  He folded his arms and gave out a pleasant chuckle. "You two get along well, you know that?  My first ship mate and I never got along." 

 

Hansol always liked hearing old stories.  It makes him feel like one day, he'll have some old stories to tell some young person.  "How was he?"

 

"He was short, about this tall."  He moved his hand to where the other's top of the head would be.  "I would always about it and he would always think me insane for having a fascination with tigers.

 

"But ever since I was a boy, they were my inspiration.  That's why I wanted to roam the sea a little bit, because they are adventurous and strong.  But in my later days, I became slower. But my eyesight hasn't gotten to me yet." Kwon chuckled as he leaned back against the wall. 

 

"Where is he now, Sir?"  Hansol asked as he clasped his hands behind him.

 

The other man gave a look of thought.  "I suppose he would be out on the sea still.  I haven't heard from him in years.." He let out a sigh.  "Maybe one of these days I'll try to find him, but I'm sure he'd still be upset at my teasing.

 

"Under the teasing, we were pretty close though."  He stated with a small smile.

 

Hansol chuckled.  "Sounds kind of like Seungkwan and myself.  He always teases me because he's older by a month."  He told. "But I know he loves me."

 

 

Kwon nodded and looked out the window again.  "His father was talking to me the other night.. about you and him."  He started. "I don't exactly agree with it, but I hope for you two a happy future together."

 

Hansol nodded back and looked out the window too.  "I should head out to him now. He's just about ready."  He informed.

 

"Travel well.  I'll do my best here to light the way."  He replied and patted Hansol's shoulder.

 

Hansol bowed before leaving the lighthouse.  He made his way to the boat and went inside. There he loosened the rope and they set off to the mainland.  The wind was starting to pick up half-way there, but was still fine. It was night time that looked a bit dreary, just like Kwon had predicted.

 

Seungkwan looked up at the sky.  "I think we can make it. It looks like it will be a bit rough, but we have work in the morning."  He told Hansol.

 

Hansol looked at the weather and nodded.  "Let's just be careful with it." He adjusted the sail to the weather.

 

They chose to stay on deck this time around to make sure everything would get done in case of an emergency.  And it's a good thing they did, too. The weather picked up tremendously with the wind blasting and the rain falling horribly.  Lightning fills the sky and thunder fills everyone's ears.

 

"Lower the sail!"  Seungkwan called from steering.

 

Hansol obeyed as he watched the waves.  Their lanterns flung out of the boat, making the only light come in through the lightening.  Hansol's eyes grow wide at a distant wave. He made his way to Seungkwan, making the younger confused.
 

"I'm sorry, Seungkwan."  He said with a tear coming up.

 

"Wh-what?  What are you doing here, you need-"

 

"We're not going to make it tonight."  He told, earning a shocked glare. 

 

Seungkwan looked at the water around them.  "No.. no, we're fine. The weather is just.."  He looked around once more. "I suggested this.. I'm so sorry Hansol."  He moved a hand to cup Hansol's cheek. "They told us to be careful, but we didn't listen.."

 

Hansol shook his head.  "If I thought it was a bad idea, I would have told you.  It's my fault too." He said softly, despite the loud claps of thunder.

 

They watch each other's eyes with smiles.  "Seungkwan," He started without an honorific, "if I'm given a second life, I'll go to you." 

 

"What if we walk by each other and not remember each other, though?"  Seungkwan muttered.

 

Hansol shook his head.  "I may live and breathe differently than now, but-"

 

 

His speech was cut by a wave spilling water onto the deck and drenching them.  "..but even at that time-"

 

 

Another wave came by.  It was strong and it knocked them down.  The steering wheel came off of the floorboard and landed on Seungkwan's feet.  The impact from the wave made it a stronger fall.

 

"Ahh!"  He gasped.

 

"Even in our next life, Seungkwan!  I'll go to you!" He shouted. "I'll love you like no one else can!"  He yelled as another wave washed him off of the boat.

 

 

 

"Hansol!!"

 

 

 

 

***

 

Twenty Years Later

Changwon, South Korea

2019

 

It is a warm day today and that is both a good thing and a bad thing.  Good because the cold air has gone away and people won't have sore throats during the night; bad because the people who are working are burning more energy.  However, this doesn't stop a young man outside of a building from directing a coworker how to place a sign.

 

"More to the left, left- left."  He said through his deep voice, shaking his head when the other worker almost lost balance on the ladder.  "Come down here and move the ladder." He instructed.

 

The other person came down and moved the ladder left and went back onto it.  The one dictating hummed in confirmation that the letter can be placed there.  "Thank you." He laughed as the worker was finishing up everything up there.

 

"Excuse me," A voice came from the side, "are you Wonwoo?"  He asked.

 

The other looked up at the taller with a small smile.  "Yes, and you are?" He confirmed.

 

"Oh, I'm Kim Mingyu.  I just got in from Anyang-"
 

"Yes, you're the one who wants a job while doing college stuff.."  Wonwoo remembered about the application.

 

He then looked back up at the sign and laughed when the other worker dumped some paint on his new, white sneakers.  The other worker pouted and furrowed his eyebrows.

 

"Not funny!"

 

"That's what you think, Chan."  Wonwoo folded his arms.

 

Wonwoo noticed the taller male watching him out of the corner of his eye.  "Is there something wrong?" He asked.

 

"No.. just admiring your smile.."  Mingyu replied. "It's beautiful."

 

Wonwoo blushed and huffed.  He stomped his foot saying, "Shut up." 

 

"I'm being serious, maybe.. we can get to know each other outside of work too?"  Mingyu offered.

 

Wonwoo got a feeling of familiarity and his cold heart melted for a split second.  His smile grew a bit more as they search each other’s eyes. He snapped out of it.

 

"Shut up,"  He said again as he stomped into the building.

 

 


 

 


 

Thank you so very much for reading!
Let's stay happy together in this life as well as the next. ^^

<3