Act 4: Brothers

The Tale of Nokdu: Unfinished Tales
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Act 4

Brothers

 

Nok Du only lay on his blanket after eating his food. His Master left him to rest and didn’t say anything about him and his brother. He would settle the matter later. Nok Du stared at the ceiling before his eyes swept around the room and landed on a bow and arrows. Blood rushed on his veins and slowly, he sat up before taking the items.

He knew the person who owned the bow and arrows.

The lady who saved him numerous times, even when she stood in front of The King.

The one who was staying behind to save not only him, but also all the people who survived that night.

His Master was right.

They all indebted to Dong Joo.

Sighing deeply, Nok Du put Dong Joo’s bow and arrows back to its place, laying again on his blanket. It has been days, but no one from the Palace came to the island. That meant, Dong Joo might said something which made every single person from Hanyang didn’t even consider to come. His mind was playing some plans on how he should save his lady.

What will he do after taking Dong Joo from Yulmu’s place?

What must he do for the decoy to avoid Yulmu know about the island?

And the most important thing was everyone in the Palace already knew him. He must find a way to go to Hanyang undetected.

And Dong Joo, he hoped she was fine and wished she always lit the candle at night.

When he was busy thinking about his plans, his eyes were heavy and Nok Du fell asleep while imagining Dong Joo’s beautiful smile.

Wait for me, Dong Joo.

Moments later, the door opened and Hwang Tae peeked inside. He was relieved when he saw Nok Du already asleep. After Nok Du had said earlier, he didn’t want to cause another awkward moment between them. Carefully, he stepped inside and kneeled to take the tray next to his brother’s blanket. Hwang Tae stopped when he saw Nok Du’s sleeping face. Memories when they were young, when they grew up together on the island, when they helped each other if their Father were punishing them, brought tears on his eyes.

How could he be so selfish?

Hwang Tae shivered when he remembered Grand Prince Neungyang asked him if it was alright for him to kill his brother and he said he didn’t care.

Nok Du’s brother hurriedly wiped his tears and took the tray before walking out from Nok Du’s room. He went to the kitchen and put the tray, exhaling deeply, didn’t notice there was someone else in the kitchen.

Lady Sook watched Hwang Tae stepped into the kitchen with tray on his hand, smiling in satisfaction after noticing the bowls were almost empty. And then, she saw the man who carried the tray looked so forlorn. Her instinct told her it might related to what happened before Nok Du and his brother escaped the faithful night.

“You should be happy your brother ate all the food,” the Mulwodan’s leader said, surprising Hwang Tae.

The man’s heartbeat increased when he saw Lady Sook. Her sharp eyes seemed to penetrate his soul. He cleared his throat to ease his nervousness.

“I…uh…I’m happy.”

“You don’t look like you do.”

Hwang Tae took a deep breath. “I think he’s still angry with me.”

Lady Sook smiled slightly. “That’s understandable. I thought you were sided with Grand Prince Neungyang, but your last act to save him gave away which side you were really on.”

Nok Du’s brother was silent before looking at Lady Sook. “How did you meet my brother? And those widows? I asked my Master and he didn’t give me answer either.”

“It was a long story. I understand how your Master feels because I also don’t know how to answer the question.”

Hwang Tae chuckled. “Do you all have agreements about not telling me and my father how you meet Nok Du?”

Lady Sook raised her eyebrows. “Is that even matter how we meet? You see for yourself all of us are his friends and family. All I can say is your brother is a good man.”

Hwang Tae smiled grimly. “Yes, I know. While I was busy plotting on how I get my life back, he got himself friends and a lady.”

“You do have your life back.”

Nok Du’s brother shook his head. “Not the kind which I want at first.”

“What exactly was the life you want, then?”

Hwang Tae went silent. He didn’t know how to answer the question.

“Is it the life of honor? Or the life the Grand Prince has promised you?”

The man blinked while the widow was smiling.

For Lady Sook, it was already an answer.

She took the tray before saying to Hwang Tae, “Someone told me it’s my life that I should protect, not my integrity.”

The Mulwodan’s leader bowed slightly and stepped out from the kitchen to wash the bowls, leaving Hwang Tae stood alone in the kitchen.

For the next three days, what Nok Du did were the same.

Eating and sleeping.

Although he hated it, he knew he had to do it if he wanted to go to Hanyang sooner. And for those several days, Nok Du also knew his brother was the one who sent food to his room. He just pretended to be sleeping when his food arrived.

On the fourth day, he was feeling better and decided to take a walk on the shore. When the sun was high on the sky, he carefully stepped out from his room, walking slowly, ignoring the stares from the widows and his family. When Nok Du arrived on the shore, he only stood with his eyes closed. Enjoying the sound of the waves and his memory when he and Dong Joo were on the swing replayed on his mind.

Diving? That is way too lame.

Then what do you do to have fun?

Have you ever surfed before? You should have seen me ride a wave that was as big as a house.

Stop bluffing. How could a wave be as big as a house?

Nok Du opened his eyes. He had the faraway look to the sea, as if he could just arrive in Hanyang by only staring. He took a deep breath and realized how much he missed Dong Joo. And then, he heard someone approaching and from the corner of his eyes, Nok Du knew who the person was.

“I guess you’re feeling better,” Hwang Tae said.

Nok Du didn’t say anything.

“It’s good if you do. We are worried about you.”

“Really?” Nok Du finally said and turned his head to look at Hwang Tae. “Even if we’re not brothers?”

The latter only chuckled nervously.

“How long have you known…about me?”

Hwang Tae looked at Nok Du. “Since Mother died.”

Nok Du didn’t flinch before saying, “For that long? And during those times you already thought about getting your life back even if it means abandoning me?”

“Nok Du…”

“Don’t!” Nok Du said angrily. His beady eyes flared. “You said clearly we’re not brothers and we’re not related. You abandoned me, the one I trust the most. I went to Hanyang to protect you and Father, therefore we don’t have to hide anymore and you…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter