Chapter 3

Unwanted Chances

Jongin is surprised at the boy’s request. Based on Kyungsoo’s reaction, his ex-boyfriend feels the same.

 

He can tell how uncomfortable the other looks at the moment so he guesses the best thing to do is make an excuse and save them the awkwardness. “It’s-.”

 

“Okay, let’s go,” Kyungsoo interrupts and the answer surprises him even more.

 

“Are you sure?” He asks and immediately shakes his head. “Nevermind, let’s go.”

 

This is what he wanted but he was just taken aback for a moment.

 

“There’s a restaurant on the next block,” he adds, closing the locker and hands the backpack to Kyungsoo. “I rarely go there since this school year started.”

 

They walked in silence. Him, carrying the boy, and Kyungsoo just next to them or sometimes, staying behind.

 

As they neared the venue, Taeoh is suddenly kicking his feet, pointing across the street in excitement and he slows down, following the direction with his eyes.

 

“Baba! Baba Chun!”

 

He completely halts, eyes disbelieving at the sight. It’s Kyungsoo’s husband, helping someone out of the car, with a matching kiss on another man’s hand.

 

Kyungsoo, who is behind them, just stares with what seems like a glare but he knows that it’s just the other’s eyesight.

 

Is he witnessing infidelity right now?

 

“He said he won’t be around here,” Kyungsoo muttered before continuing on their way.

 

That didn’t sound good.

 

It may sound crazy but fate is on his side. It means he might just have a chance on Kyungsoo again. It’s not bad to wish to be with his own family, right?




 

The food is great as it used to be but the kind of silence Kyungsoo gives is the only bitter thing in the room.

 

He feels like he should say something but the other’s mood is dark. It’s a good thing Taeoh is there to break the ice.

 

Sadly, the night ends early, which he understands. Kyungsoo didn’t deserve that but it’s not his business to pry on someone else’s relationship.


 

--


 

Kyungsoo is disappointed.

 

Didn’t Jongin want to talk to him? He had been sitting throughout the meal and he got nothing. Maybe he expected too much from it.

 

“Baba Shing!” His son wiggles out of his arms as soon as they reached the living room.

 

“Hyung, welcome home,” he greets. “I saw you two earlier. Junmyeon-hyung, you said you won’t be anywhere near the daycare,” he complains. “I could have avoided him.”

 

“Avoided who?” Yixing asks, Taeoh now in his arms. “What did I miss?”

 

“Oh, honey,” Junmyeon jumps up from the couch, “Jongin’s teaching at the daycare.”

 

“Who is he?” The confused Chinese male looks turns to him.

 

“You know,” he pauses, taking steps closer to them, “the jerk who knocked me up.”

 

Yixing coos. “The father and son reunited? That’s so sweet.” The man shifts his attention to the boy who’s distracted by the necklace. “So how did you break the news to him?”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

“What?” The couple say at the same time.

 

“But he knows. I didn’t have to tell him,” he defends.

 

Junmyeon gives him a look, observing his reaction. “So, are you back together?”

 

“No. Hyung, it’s not that easy. I don’t even know anything about him except that he’s teaching at the daycare. What if he’s in a relationship?”

 

“Did you ask?”

 

He hesitates. “No?”

 

“Anyway, as long as he’s taking responsibility for your son, everything will be fine.”

 

“Does he,” Yixing pouts his lips to point at the boy in his arms, “know?”

 

“I don’t know how to tell him,” he huffs, “and what if he suddenly starts calling him dad in daycare?”

 

The couple exchange looks in silence and he doesn’t like that. The two has a plan and he won’t be knowing any of it.



 

--



 

Did you get home safely?
Is everything fine?


 

He’s concerned and hopes that nothing bad is happening in the other’s house. As much as he wants to be with Kyungsoo, he wishes for the couple to sort out the problem and their marriage.

 

Finally, after days of no replies, he gets one. Or two.


 

What do you mean by that?
Can I see you this weekend anyway? Just the two of us.


 

By the reply, he can see how Kyungsoo is avoiding the topic. On the other hand, who is he to reject the date ?

 

Nevermind.
Yes, sure. Just give me the time and place.

 

He smiles at the invitation. That’s a good sign.


 

The next day, Kyungsoo’s husband is still the one to drop Taeoh in day care. He can only assume the two made up but if he’s in the other’s shoes, it wouldn’t be that easy.

 

Or maybe no matter what their issues as a couple should never affect the child. After all, they still have a responsibility to take care of the boy.

 

He sees Baekhyun pass by and before he can even call out to the teacher, he's told there's no time for chit-chat.

 

Bummer.

 

Kyungsoo didn't show up later that afternoon too. On the bright side, he's going to meet him tomorrow or the next day. Just the two of them.

 

Kyungsoo shows up late, with sweat on his forehead. "Sorry, I had some things to discuss with my group."

 

He watch the short drop his school bag on the table and Kyungsoo is seated, head low and catching his breath. "It's okay," he assures. He waited for almost an hour but yes, it's okay. "I already made an order. I hope you still like pasta."

 

This time, the man looks at him while swiping the beads of sweat on the forehead with a handkerchief. "Oh. I actually don't plan to stay long."

 

There's no denying that Kyungsoo's obviously trying to avoid and spend less time with him as much as possible. "But I already made the order. It can't go to waste."

 

The shorter ponders, glancing outside the window. "Okay, then. Half an hour isn't bad."

 

Half an hour.

 

"So, uhm," the other gives him a look before avoiding his gaze again, "I just wanted to tell you that if you want to see Taeoh outside as you said, you can just call me."

 

"Okay," he nods, disappointed that he expected to much on this meeting. His ex-boyfriend is straightforward and just wants to be done with it.

 

"On one condition," Kyungsoo adds, now looking at him. "I should be there so it depends on my availability that you can see him."

 

"I have no problem with that." He understands that trusting him of the boy's safety isn't easy. For sure, it's for the man's husband's peace of mind. "When can I see him?"

 

"That won't be in two weeks. I'm busy with school."

 

He can only nod again. It's not like he won't be seeing the boy in school but still, spending time with Taeoh not as a teacher is different. He wants to be a dad.

 

"Does he know me as not just his teacher?"

 

"No, not yet."

 

"Right, it can be confusing to him."

 

For a whole minute, no more words are exchanged. Kyungsoo's phone starts ringing and the shorter digs through his bag to pick up the phone. "Heㅡhmm."

 

He looks outside the window not to look like he's trying to listen in on the conversation. He can tell by the loud screaming from the other line it's no other than their boy.

 

"Yes, Papa will be home soon. Tell Baba I won't take long." Kyungsoo checks the time on his wristwatch.

 

He hears the man mutter something that it's getting late before talking on the phone again. "Okay, Papa's going home now."

 

As soon as the call ends, he speaks in disagreement. "You said half an hour," he points out but the shorter is already up, the bag hanging on his shoulder.

 

"I have my priorities, Jongin."

 

Just then a waiter comes to serve their food.

 

"You can leave as soon as you finish yours," he pleads, "please."

 

There's hesitation but Kyungsoo quietly drops takes his seat once again.

 

It's quiet as if they're strangers who just happened to share a table. But unlike he expected, the shorter doesn't leave the table once done. Instead, he finds Kyungsoo watching him eat, leaned back and relaxed.

 

It's not him that's being watched as he observed, but his plate.

 

"I forgot you don't like sliced tomatoes on your spaghetti."

 

He looks down on his plate where he has set aside the sliced tomatoes. He knows it's funny to think he doesn't like them when the sauce itself if made from the same ingredients. "Yeah."

 

"Weird how such trait or preference is passed on."

 

It may have not been directly confirmed by the man, it's still clear as day that Taeoh is his son. Their son.

 

"I have to go."

 

This time he doesn't stop his ex-boyfriend from leaving. There was no goodbye exchanged but it doesn't matter. He gets to see his son outside school and that's all he wants.

 

 

--


 

 

The first meetup is coming. As the days come nearer, Kyungsoo is getting restless.

 

"What's wrong, Kyungsoo?" Yixing approaches him that night in the kitchen.

 

"Nothing, Hyung."

 

"It's 2am and you're here, brewing coffee."

 

He releases a frustrating grunt, leaning his hip against the island counter, arms crossed on his chest. "I still haven't told Taeoh he's going to see Jongin tomorrowㅡ I mean, as his father."

 

"I heard they've been really close lately. It's a good thing he already warmed up to his dad since he's really distant with those he doesn't really like."

 

"Am I doing the right thing?"

 

"You mean, letting your son know who his other parent is? Yes."

 

He sighs. "Everything was fine without him. Why did he suddenly just pop up out of nowhere? I hate him."

 

"Okay," the older walks around to turn off the coffee maker. "Kyungsoo, remember this is for your son. Your issue with Jongin has nothing to do with him. Taeoh was born innocent, he deserves to know who his parents are, at least."

 

He knows that. He just doesn't want to be anywhere near that man.

 

"If you don't want to see him, I can take Taeoh to him," the older offers.

 

"No, Hyung. It's okay."

 

Yixing might spill some things. He can't afford that.

 

"Go to sleep, Kyungsoo. You should be in a good condition tomorrow."




 

 

The next morning comes in a blink and text is received. Jongin has sent him the place and time.

 

He frowns. Of all places, the other chose the aquarium park. He hates it for two reasons: one, he just wants to sit and eat, two, he remembers that one weekend they lied to their parents that they have a school project to do with their group mates but instead, sneaked out to visit a similar amusement place.

 

He doesn't like how he gets to connect things from the past with Jongin.

 

Probably he's the only one who thinks like that. Of course, for the boy's other father, it's done for Taeoh. It's for them to bond as father and son.

 

It's not like Jongin's been trying to win him back. That man most likely has a boyfriend anyway. A good and understanding one, he guesses, for he lets his partner go and see the boy.

 

"Where we going?" The boys asks as he's being dressed up.

 

"We're going to see your dad, baby."

 

"I have new papa? Yay!"

 

He chuckles at his son's excitement. How is he blessed with such an adorable son? Oh, right. Kim ing Jongin .

 

"Yes, but not like Baba Jun and Baba Xing. He's like me."

 

"Like Papa?"

 

"Yes. You know how your friends each have two mommies and daddies? You have two daddies."

 

His son only shrugs.

 

"Babies are born because of mommies and daddies. Like you, you are here because you have two daddies. That's me, Papa, and your dad."

 

Again, he's answered with a shrug. "I like. Many daddies."

 

"Okay," he laughs. "That's good."



 

 

--


 

 

Jongin offered to pick them up but Kyungsoo rejected the idea and just met at the entrance of the park.

 

He saw them get out of the car, Taeoh looking confused to see him.

 

"I tried to explain but I don't think he gets it," the shorter tell him. "He said he likes having many dads and I think that's fine."

 

The boy breaks into a smile. "Teacher!"

 

Teacher.

 

He watch Kyungsoo pick the boy up and whispers something before the boy looks at him in confusion again.

 

"Teacher is my daddy?"

 

He nods instead, arms open to welcome the boy, for the first time after being introduced as the father. Taeoh immediately leans towards him, Kyungsoo having no choice but to give the boy to him.

 

Just then he noticed the cute bear backpack the boy is carrying.

 

For the first ten minutes, he noticed the other just quietly walking behind them, also looking around and checking on the boy.

 

He'd slow down so the man can catch up, thinking that he's walking a little fast but Kyungsoo purposely stays behind.

 

Even when they take a break, the shorter does minimal interaction. Maybe for a reason that he gets to look after their son on his own.

 

He can also tell that Kyungsoo is tired with the way the shorter slumps on his seat and spacing out.

 

Taeoh is pointing at small carousel with underwater creatures on it, asking for a ride.

 

"Teacher Dada, please!"

 

Jongin smiles at how he's addressed. He admires his boy's wit. "Okay, let's go."

 

Kyungsoo is automatically gathering their stuff but Jongin stops him.

 

"Stay here. It won't be long. You can see us from here."

 

The other doesn't say anything and nods, probably needing more rest.




 

 

"Was it fun?" He asks the boy as they made their way out of the ride.

 

Taeoh nods.

 

Kyungsoo's taking a nap when they arrived back at their spot, the boy humming in question at the sight.

 

"Papa? Awake."

 

He puts a finger on the boy's lips to quiet him down. "Papa's tired."

 

"Papa drink coffee. Get coffee."

 

"Okay, let's get coffee."

 

"Baba Chun like coffee too," the boy adds out of nowhere. "Baba Chun give bear bag to me." Taeoh excitedly pulls on a strap on his shoulder. "Cute."

 

His son thinking something is cute makes the boy look cuter.

 

Cute.

 

The boy calls his other dad Baba. He personally thinks it's cute too. But Teacher Dada is cuter.

 

Kyungsoo snaps conscious, apologizing for falling asleep. "Uh, where are we going next?"

 

"We were just about to get you coffee."

 

"I'm fine. I just didn't get enough sleep last night."

 

They proceed with the rest of the activities. They didn't have much to do but Taeoh is in awe, face squished against the glass. "Papa, turtle! WOW!"

 

"Wow," he mimics, laughing to himself. It's been fifteen minutes and Taeoh hasn't moved from his spot.

 

"Taeoh, look at Papa," Kyungsoo says behind them.

 

The boy quickly turns with a huge grin like he knows what it meant.

 

He looks back as well, finding the other crouched down on the level, phone raised.

 

A camera shutter follows but Kyungsoo remains unmoving, eyes meeting his. "Move closer."

 

He does as told, smiling at the camera.

 

With just another shutter, Kyungsoo is satisfied and moves back again. His phone vibrates shortly after. The man sent him the photos which he didn't ask but he isn't complaining.



 

--



 

Kyungsoo comes to think it's actually a good thing. He doesn't get to bring his son to these places and Jongin does.

 

Until recently, he has kept Taeoh at home and they barely go out on weekends.

 

He hasn't seen the boy have this so much fun, he feels sorry for not able to give that for years. Taeoh has so much to explore outside. Maybe Jongin can provide just what he can't.

 

Crossing paths with his ex-lover isn't so bad after all.



 

 

Seeing the boy had too much fun today, Kyungsoo decided it's not necessary to have dinner together anymore though Jongin kept insisting earlier.

 

"How was your day?" Yixing greets him as soon as they arrived home.

 

"Honey, we don't need to know," Junmyeon butts in. "He will tell us if he wants."

 

“It was great,” he answers, earning intrigued looks from the older couple. “Taeoh had a lot of fun. Jongin was nice.”

 

Yixing was about to ask more but Junmyeon stops his husband before any word is spoken. “That’s good to know, Kyungsoo. You should clean up and prepare for bed too.”

 

He simply does as told, giving the older a grateful look as the couple leaves the room. He’s tired and want to rest as soon as he can, dinner may not be an option anymore.


 

Did you get home safely?
A reply would be nice.


 

He’s going to reply anyway, he thinks to himself.

 

Yes. Thank you for asking.

Taeoh enjoyed today. Thank you for that too.


 

Sure, don’t worry about it.
I can’t wait to bond with him again.


 

Instead of replying in text, he sends the photos he took earlier. He hasn’t viewed them well earlier and he takes his time looking at the few photos from earlier. A lot of them were blurry but he doesn’t want to delete them.

 

His son looks so happy, it’s all precious.

 

Looking at both subjects in most photos, Kyungsoo can only wish he could deny the biological connection but there’s just no way. The boy and his father look like they’re one person in different timezones meeting at one point in time.

 

His phone suddenly buzzes in return, an attachment needed to be downloaded.


 

I forgot to give you a copy earlier when you came back from the restroom.
Will hand you one next time.


 

It’s their first family photo and it’s framed with decorative aquatic designs, officially taken by the park staff.

 

It looks awkward on his part. With Taeoh in the arms of the taller, he just looks like he just joined by force.

 

He sort of didn’t want to take that photo but Jongin insisted, using the boy as bait. The taller said it’s for Taeoh’s remembrance from the park.

 

The more he looks at it, the more he gets uncomfortable. It would have just been better without him in the picture.