Chapter 1

Unwanted Chances

 

It’s strange.

Jongin feels like he’s looking at a little mirror with the reflection of the younger version of himself. This three-year-old boy is a spitting image of his three-year-old self twenty one years ago.

With the smudged ketchup wiped off clean from the boy’s face, it even feels more surreal to think this little creature actually exists.

“Uh,” Chanyeol, his best friend throughout his university years, nudges his side, “What sorcery is this?”

They’re both staring down at the motionless and confused boy in front of them, probably thinking what’s going on with these two weird men.

“Hello,” his best friend crouch down, the boy following the other’s movement with his eyes. “What. Is. Your. Name?”

It’s silly the way Chanyeol talks to a kid like he’s not asking a very common question.

Instead of answering, the boy shifts his gaze back at him, a hand raised towards him. He doesn’t know what to do with that.

Then the teacher comes up to them, crouching down next to the boy. “I see you have met your new teachers.” The boy gives a questioning hum and the teacher points at them one by one for introduction. “This is Teacher Jongin and this is Teacher Chanyeol.”

He watch the teacher carry the boy up in his arms. “And this is Kim Taeoh and you know who I am.”

“Yes,” his best friend quickly gets up on both feet, grinning a little too much it’s starting to look creepy. “Byun Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol really has no chosen time and place to hit on someone he likes.

“Anyway, he said Kim Taeoh,” the taller nudges him again. “Are you sure you don’t have a son?”

He only hisses back, glaring at his best friend.

Baekhyun nods. “Right? I think you both look alike but we shouldn’t assume things like that, Teacher Chanyeol. Like they say, there are seven other people in the world who look like us.”

“True. So, do you have time for coffee later?”

He doesn’t hear the rest of the conversation. All Jongin does is stare back at the boy and Taeoh does the same but with lesser blinks. Kids always win the staring game.

That is until Baekhyun puts the boy down and asks them to meet the other kids to get themselves familiar before they officially start their OJT next week.

He can’t help but look back at the same boy every ten minutes.

It’s just strange. There’s something about this meeting he can’t put a finger on, like he’s instinctively being pulled towards the quiet boy on the corner of the room, playing well by himself with blocks.

It was a short meeting with the kids and staff of the day care center since they have to go back to the university to register and verify their OJT details.

“It’s funny,” Chanyeol tells him on the way back to their university.

“What is?”

“You get to meet someone who looks like a younger version of you. Not everyone can have that chance unless you’re both biologically-related at some point. Even the other teachers think he’s your son.”

“Like Baekhyun said, it’s not uncommon. I was just taken aback at how he oddly resembles me like he came out of my old baby photos.”

“And his last name is Kim. What are the odds?”

“The odds where in one class, there’s like sixty percent of students with the same last name as mine?”

“Just saying.”

 

--

 

Kyungsoo loves his son but he doesn’t enjoy removing the crayon doodles on the walls all the time.

It’s already enough that they are provided their own space in the house and he gets a scholarship with the help of a kind-hearted couple.

Junmyeon and Yixing are the blessings he needed when he had nothing when his parents disowned him after finding out he just graduated high school and was already three months pregnant.

He found a place cities away from home and worked two jobs everyday just to make ends meet, especially that he was expecting.

Yixing was a regular at the cafe where he’s working as a waiter. One day he got sick and insisted not to give his shift away because he needs the money and he was on his third trimester already. He passed out during his shift and woke up in a clinic with the said regular customer.

Apparently,the couple is wealthy. He was brought home, was introduced to the man’s husband who is equally kind and caring and he was offered to stay with them.

Even until now, it’s unclear why they gave him so much. All Yixing says is they’re just trying to help him and the couple loves his son just as much, like they’re the grandparents.

“Kyungsoo, you’re still here?” Junmyeon’s voice interrupts his current task.

He looks back, now feeling his knees and arm aching from cleaning up the doodles.

“It’s already five.”

“Oh my god,” he freaks out, thinking that his son must be crying right now. “I didn’t notice the time.” He gets on his feet, setting the wet towel and spray aside. “I’ll get back to that!”

By the time he arrives at the day care center, Taeoh has fallen asleep in Baekhyun’s lap. “I’m so sorry. God, I said after school I’ll just drop my stuff and pick him up.”

Baekhyun gives him a smile. “It’s okay. You know, you can always stay with me, Soo.”

“Yeah, and you’d bring your dates over every weekend? No, thanks. I like our fancy bedroom.” He carefully picks his son up, the boy softly whining in his hold and shifting to get comfortable.

“Oh, by the way. Guess who your son met today?” There’s a playful tone in his friend’s voice.

“Who?”

“His father.”

He’s quiet, unsure if it’s true or just Baekhyun playing another prank on him like he does often.

“Look,” the teacher shows him a resume with a man’s photo on the top corner. “Don’t worry, I didn’t tell him he’s his son. But guess what again? He looks just as dumbfounded.”

He can’t believe his eyes. He’s staring right into his ex-boyfriend’s latest photo. Jongin looks even moreㅡ no. That man was nowhere when he needed him.

When Baekhyun keeps the file away, he snorts. “Small world.”

“He’ll be starting his OJT next week so good luck on your first meeting since high school, as you said.”

“Maybe it’s time for Taeoh to be home-schooled.”

“Shut up, Soo. Stop being so petty. You know what? Instead of hiding, why don’t you let him figure it out by himself and yet show him you are capable of raising your son without him? He’s a teacher-in-training. He loves kids. I’m sure he’ll be all over your son if he finds out.”

“That’s a very nice suggestion but also kind of mean. Also, I have to go now. I have to get back on that wall again. I’m already embarrassed on how many doodles there are around the house. It’s like hunting for treasure all the time.”

Baekhyun hands him the boy’s backpack. “Don’t they plan on having kids of their own? I mean, yeah, they’re still young but they have the money to raise a whole day care population.”

“I don’t know,” he sighs. “I don’t want to pry but the other helpers said maybe it’s their choice not to have one yet or at all. I’m sure it’s not the fertilization thingy, I mean, the problem.” He takes a step away, a hint that he’s ending the conversation before his friend starts another topic.

“It’s Saturday tomorrow. Wanna hangout?”

“I’ll try.” That’s clearly a no.

On the way home, he’s feeling cautious, now that he knows the father of his son is just around. What if they bump into each other? Has Jongin always been around this place? If so, why haven’t they met sooner?

Oh, right. He’s usually just home, school and day care.

Next week will be a start of something different for sure. He has given up trying to find his ex-boyfriend and suddenly he’s informed that Jongin’s nearby.

He’s not ready to see him again.


 

--


 

“Honey, it’s just four days,” Yixing says, dragging his luggage towards the door, with Junmyeon trying to persuade his husband it’s not an important business.

Kyungsoo only watch them from the living room floor, helping his son color the coloring book he bought yesterday. He smiles at the cute bickering between the two, finding it adorable that neither of them are raising voices. Instead, they sound like they’re just whining but in very soft mode.

Junmyeon is left, disappointed. “Four days of unimportant business.”

“It’s okay, Hyung, He’ll be back before you know it,” he says to comfort the older.

“Three nights of cold, empty side of the bed.”

Despite being married for six years now, the couple are still very much in love with each other like they’re still in their teens.

Junmyeon joins them and Taeoh immediately offers the older a violet crayon. “Thank you.” The man turns to him. “I got this, Kyungsoo. Maybe you have to review for a test, you can take this opportunity while your son’s still in a good mood.”

He shakes his head. “I have no upcoming tests. I’ll just go grab some snacks. Would you like some tea, Hyung?”

“Yeah, sure.”

He leaves the two sharing a page of the coloring book and makes Junmyeon’s request. Doing chores is the least he can do for all the support he got from the couple.

He comes back with a tray of snacks, including his son’s favorite grape juice and star-shaped biscuits.

“Papa!” Taeoh jumps up in excitement when he approaches them.

“Okay, okay. Calm down. Sit down,” he orders, placing the tray on the coffee table.

On the other hand, Junmyeon is still busy finishing the coloring book. “Just leave my tea there.”

He nods though no one can see.

“Papa. Drink.”

He gives his son the juice box and sets the plate of biscuits next to the coloring book.

“Kyungsoo,” the older starts, attention still on the book. “I’m not sure but I have noticed you’ve been somehow distracted since Friday.”

It may not seem like it but the couple, specifically Junmyeon, can read him like an open book.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

He gives his son a glance, hesitating to tell what’s been bothering him. When he’s sure Taeoh isn’t listening to him, he opens up. “Uhm, Baekhyun told me Jongin will be working in the day care starting tomorrow.”

Junmyeon sets the crayon down and straightens up. “Jongin?” The older also glances at the boy who’s busy sipping on the juice.

He nods. “Baekhyun didn’t tell him about him, being my son’s,” he pauses, “other dad.”

“Your concern is?”

“I don’t know what to say when I see him. It’s been four years.”

“I understand.” Junmyeon gets up and sits on the couch after taking his tea with him. “He will have to take responsibility. You gave Taeoh his last name.”

“Hyung, back then, I was still hoping to find him. It’s different now. I don’t even need him anymore.”

“But still, you both have a son. You can’t change that. It’s his choice to be a responsible father if he wants to, though.”

He quietly wipes the crumbs off his son’s face, the boy whining and turning away.

“Besides, Taeoh has to get to know him. Eventually, he’ll start to understand that every kid has two parents. At least he knows both of you.”

Junmyeon’s right. Why do kids have to suffer the consequences?


 

--


 

It’s their first day in the day care and Jongin had to handle a group of three to four-year-old kids for at most four hours. Not all kids behave like this remarkable Kim Taeoh. He figures, the boy is quiet most of the time but also gets annoyed easily when distracted from what he’s doing.

With Baekhyun roaming around the small classrooms, he can’t even take a break. He knows he loves kids but it only speaks for those he likes.

Some of them are little devils, full of mischief. Why is he assigned to a group of kids in their age when they’re most curious? He’s been asked a lot of different questions under the sun while he’s reading them a book.

“Taeoh,” he calls out to his mini look-alike at the back who’s just doing his own business, doodling on a piece of paper. “Don’t you like the story?”

The boy slowly looks up at him with innocent eyes.

“Perhaps, you already know this story?”

A nod.

Unlike his classmates, this boy is too quiet when they’re at the point where learning to communicate verbally is critical. So he opens it up the next time Baekhyun visits the room, giving the kids a break.

“Is Taeoh usually this quiet or he’s just shy and still adjusting?”

They both turn their heads towards the subject who’s gathering his things and sits on the corner, away from the other kids.

“Well, he’s just a quiet kid and loves to play in peace by himself,” Baekhyun explains. “People at home talk to him and he responds well. Maybe he’s still warming up to you. Don’t worry.”

“Maybe I can talk to his parents?”

The teacher gives him an unsure look but nods anyway. “Yeah, if you can stay for a while after five. Sometimes his father picks him up late. He’s still studying.”

“Oh,” he nods, sympathizing. “I can stay and I just have a few questions. I hope he doesn’t mind that.”

“Does that include why his son looks like you?”

“What? No.” He fakes a laugh to cover his awkward reaction from the unexpected question.

“Just kidding. He’s a very good friend of mine. His father, I mean. So I should just warn you he’s been a little stressed lately so don’t try to push him.”

“Of course. Thanks for the heads-up.”


 

As Baekhyun told him, the parent is late and the school protocol states that a teacher will not leave the school until all his students have been picked-up by his guardians.

Chanyeol didn’t have to stay because first of all, his best friend was assigned in a morning schedule.

Apparently, Baekhyun had been considered as the boy's guardian. Like now, Taeoh is comfortably napping on the teacher's lap while Baekhyun is doing some paperwork.

All the while he's just sitting on the side, waiting for a specific parent to arrive. Chanyeol is already texting him, asking him why he's taking too long to respond.

He explains why and asks the other to stop acting like he doesn't know the rules. Good for the other, he has no problem with his class.

"Ah, Kyungsoo, you're here."

His ears ring at the mention of a familiar name, immediately hitting him with a wave of emotions.

Just what are the odds he'd hear the same name after four years. After an unwanted break-up he initiated and still deeply regretting it.

He slowly raises his head from his phone to see two more figures in the doorway, one stranger and one all so familiar.

Doh Kyungsoo. Once the boy he was in a relationship with for two years is now a family man.

On the corner of his sight, he sees Baekhyun standing up and carrying the sleeping boy towards the parents . "Mr. Kim, it's been a while."

"Yeah," the stranger, addressed as Mr. Kim nods. "I just had time to go with Kyungsoo. We're also just heading straight to dinner anyway."

Just then, his eyes meet with Kyungsoo's. He doesn't show the hurt he's suddenly feeling and gives the man a smile. "Hi."

"By the way," Bakehyun carefully hands the boy to his ex-lover, "Jongin here has something to ask. He had been waiting for you."

"Oh, sorry to keep you waiting," Kyungsoo's husband apologizes. "There was traffic outside Kyungsoo's university."

"It's fine," he waves his hand and gets on his feet, taking quiet steps towards the couple. "I handle Taeoh's class. If you don't mind, I just have a few questions about him. I have noticed some things while we were in class."

Mr. Kim looks intently at him, not even being subtle as the man moves to scan him up and down. "Would you ask how come he looks like you?"

He manages another fake laugh. "I've been getting that a lot recently."

"Well, Kyungsoo is the person who can answer all your questions." The man tentatively takes the boy from Kyungsoo's arm and heads out. "We'll be in the car."

"I'll be in the office!" Baekhyun announces and rushes out of the room, leaving him and his ex-boyfriend alone in heavy silence.

He looks around, and politely gestures towards the chair. "Would you like to sit?"

Kyungsoo responds in a low voice, eyes everywhere but him. "No, I'm fine. This won't take long, right?"

"Uhm, right. Anyway, as Taeoh's teacher, I am concerned how he behaves around other kids. He likes being by himself?"

"That's right. He plays well by himself and he gets easily irritated around noisy environment. It's really quiet at home."

"I see," he nods. "And he doesn't speak much. Don't take this the wrong way, but does he have a speech problem?"

This time, the shorter focuses on him. "No, he doesn't. He's just not chatty around people he doesn't feel comfortable with. Once you get his trust, like talk about something he likes, he'll never shut up. Is that all?"

It's clear that the other doesn't want to be around him anymore so he just let it be. After all, he's the reason why they broke up. He can't blame Kyungsoo for holding a grudge against him.

 

Why does your son look like me?

 

"Yeah. I just wanted to clarify thoseㅡ."

Kyungsoo has already his heel and is a few steps away, his back on him.

"Okay."

 

I missed you.


 

--


 

"So, how did it go?" Junmyeon asks as soon as he enters the backseat next to his sleeping son.

"Fine, I guess. I just left after he was done asking."

"Do you think he knows by now?"

"Hyung," he whines. "I don't want anything to do with him. I hate him. The second I saw him, I wanted to cry and slap him with the number of days he wasn't there for me."

Junmyeon starts the car and drives off. "But Taeoh is his son too."

"He even thought Taeoh has a speech problem."

"Then I hope you calmly explained that."

He did and he's still upset.

"You know, if my husband is here, everything's settled right now."

"I know." He's glad Yixing isn't around. That man's pet peeve is anything that screams problem.

They're quiet for a moment and he takes the opportunity to clean up his son's face with a wet wipe, gentle enough that he won't awaken the boy.

"He looks handsome."

"Hyung, stop that."

"Is it making you feel the romance years ago?"

"Hyung, please."

 

But yes, he makes me remember that heartbreak too.

 

That heartbreak caused by a shallow reason. Jongin thought living and studying miles away from each other won't make their relationship work.

They broke up right after graduation, neither of them aware he was already pregnant.

And he suffered alone. Jongin left home right away and changed his number. Not to mention, their parents had always been against their relationship because they think it's just going to be a distraction in reaching their goals.

He hates him. He hates him for still making him feel like they still have a chance despite meeting for the first time in four years, despite things that have changed.

But he hates him because he was his last hope before he left home but Jongin ended every communication possible.

 

Then he'll show up just like that, all friendly and looking attractive.