Chapter 21

The Village in the Forest

to copy my author's note from my other krisho fanfic: I have been contemplating updating both fics, this one and my series for Staggering Fall of Youth, and I have reached this conclusion. 

I do not, will NEVER support Wu Yifan's actions in real life. I think what he had done is disgusting and repulsive, and which I desire that he gets punished severely. 

Now, in terms of my fanfics, I have always separated the characters from the real life singers and actors. I write this fanfic because I like writing fanfic in general, and have always used it to perfect my writing skills, my editing, etc. 

I will continue to update these fanfics. I love the stories I have created, I love my made up characters, and I want to see them finished. I always told myself I would complete my stories, no matter how much of a hiatus I need to take or how life gets difficult. 

Please keep this in mind as you read these two stories. I just want to finish these fanfics I have many ideas planned. I use these stories to vent while my real life world crumples to pieces, while my depression gets worse and I get more lonely. I am NOT supporting Kris Wu as I write these, these have NOTHING to do with that piece of . 

***

“I don’t know how much you know, but the stories regarding the village is a bit… interesting, to say the least,” Chan explained.

 

He sat far away from the three, and his group all sat around him, obviously wanting to eavesdrop into the conversation. They liked listening to Chan telling stories. 

 

“There’s a reason the council doesn’t tell the villagers about the outside world.” Chan toyed with the necklace on his neck, feeling fidgety. “They like the control they have on others. And it’s easy to control a small group of people who are afraid of breaking the rules.” 

 

Jeonghan shook his head. “They may think like that, but everyone knows that over time, there will be an overthrow. The population will grow stronger, those with authority will get weaker, and there will be an idiotic ruler who won’t know what to do.”

 

Seungcheol looked at Jeonghan in surprised, but made no comment. As the prince in Kaeleous, he was taught for years all about the history of the Kingdom, and human history in general, from the collapse of the normal human race and the origins of a omegas and alphas, which later developed another societal hierarchy. 

 

But Jeonghan was also taught information that Seungcheol and the rest of the citizens were never taught, stuff that was confidential. Over the years, Jeonghan has told him bits and pieces from when they come up in conversations, but Seungcheol wondered how much the latter had retained from going almost two decades without studying it. 

 

“I know,” Chan said, agreeing. “They know it’s coming. Especially since a lot of the omegas are protecting themselves, refusing to listen to them. And there are much more alphas now who refuse to take advantage of omegas. I don’t think the older community likes that.”

 

“From the meetings I’ve gone to the past couple of years, there’s a lot of focus on birth rates,” Seungcheol added. “And that there’s been a decline. You weren’t there, but Jeonghan was forced to go to a meeting, and they tried pairing off my son.” 

 

Chan widened his eyes. “Are you serious? They are forcing pairings again?” 

 

“Yeah and it’s ing ridiculous,” Seungcheol said, his voice laced with anger. The situation still pissed him off. How dare they threaten to touch his family. 

 

“He’s in a fake engagement with Yifan,” Jeonghan added. He noticed how Chan got even more shocked. “But they like each other, so who knows how that is going to end up.”

 

“I thought he would never find somebody,” Chan muttered to himself. “Wow, I’m really surprised.”

 

Seungcheol frowned. “What do you mean?”

 

“Since the death of his mother, he definitely got more introverted,” Chan explained. He, unlike Seungcheol and Jeonghan who lived away from everybody, had grown up in the community, always heard gossip and rumors being spoken around. “He had his group of alpha friends and that was it. Of course, over time his father forced him to be more outgoing because, you know, Yifan was going to take his position one day, but still, you could tell he did not like people. Though you can’t blame him at this point, to be honest. I couldn’t stand a lot of the adults there.”

 

Jihoon, who didn’t know anything about the village but was following along, spoke up. “Has nobody ever, like, ran away? And come back to tell the truth? I don’t understand how they could be so well hidden for decades and centuries.”

 

“There’s a huge border that makes it extremely difficult for anyone to go through,” one of the alphas in Chan’s group, Minho, spoke up. He set his machete which had been on his lap right next to himself before stretching out his legs. “Water is undrinkable, lots of animals, and extremely high mountains with dangerous cliffs and overhangs. It’s why no one makes it through.”

 

“But there’s a tiny clearing,” another alpha, Changbin, spoke up as well. “Clear land with many trees, though not exactly a forest. And there’s a stream.”

 

Seungcheol knew what he was talking about. When they had been escaping Kaeleous many years ago, they had noticed a clearing, which was vastly different than anything else they had seen their entire trip. Not long after that, they discovered the village. “That must have been where we went through,” he said. “We never saw the border.”

 

Jeonghan thought of all the maps he had studied, growing up. He knew what border Minho mentioned. Because he had learned it as a whole concentrated area, not a perimeter surrounding habitable land. 

 

The info he had been taught was wrong. 

 

“That makes a lot of sense,” Jeonghan muttered. “My father just knew it as a barren wasteland and it’s why he never tried to go near there.”

 

Chan nodding, getting up from where he was sitting. “I’ve definitely seen people before, sent from others. But they never make it far to the village, anyways.”

 

He walked over to where Minho was sitting, snatching the machete from him, the alpha starting to whine. “Oh, COME ON, CHAN-“

 

“First of all, this isn’t even yours.” Chan ran his thumb over the handle, looking at the inscription on it. “But yeah, the village is not a safe place.”

 

“Why did you run?” Seungcheol asked him. Everyone knew about his disappearance; people had never left before. 

 

“I was picking fruit. I heard Hyunsuk talk to two men about keeping it a secret. I guess rumors about you, which they called you Scoups, were going strong and people started to wonder.”

 

“I swear to god, that man has always given me a bad vibe,” Jeonghan muttered. 

 

Chan scoffed, rolling his eyes. “Anyone with common sense could see that. But some people choose to see with ignorance.”

 

Seungcheol never liked Hyunsuk in general; the man had the worst opinions in his opinion whenever there was a meeting. The chief was more understanding and compassionate, but Hyunsuk was definitely like the devil on his shoulder. 

 

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the reason us three were kidnapped,” Jihoon said to himself. The more and more they talked, the more he hated that guy. 

 

Chan heard him, though. “Kidnapped?” he asked. “Oh, that’s bold from him. Though they did the same to me.”

 

“Wait, they kidnapped you??” Seungcheol shouted at Chan. 

 

“Well, duh! They knew I heard them and I tried to run, but I mean, it was three of them, I was no match.” Chan stuck out his foot, showing off a long scar on his ankle. “They threw me in the jail and Woojin went ballistic. He got me out, we ran and that was it.”

 

“Don’t ask him where Woojin is, he’ll get mad at you,” Seungmin said. 

 

“Will you shut it already, Seungmin, I told you that you’re not swimming until your infection heals-“

 

Felix covered his mouth, trying not to laugh. “He’s an idiot-“ 

 

“They had a fight,” Hyunjin explained in a monotone voice while Chan continued arguing with Seungmin.  “Woojin went off to the caves and wants to be alone for a few hours. Chan is upset.”

 

“Oh, that sounds like fun,” Jihoon replied sarcastically. Every time he and Soonyoung fought, Soonyoung would go out but wouldn’t even ten minutes until he came back, crying to Jihoon for forgiveness. Even if it was Jihoon’s fault. Yeah, he felt bad for it. “Does he do it often?”

 

“No, not really-“

 

“I think we need to get moving.” Chan picked up his bag from the ground, opening the flap. “I’m packing. Some of us need to lead them back-“

 

“Wait, SOME?” Jisung asked him. 

 

Chan glared at him. “You. Don’t even THINK about coming-“

 

“Oh, come ON!!!!!” Jisung got up quickly from the ground, only to immediately lose his balance. “Ah, -“

 

“.” Minho stood up from where he was seating and dashed towards Jisung, holding him. “You need to be eating more-“

 

“You two are staying, that’s end of story. He’s expecting and you two need to stop being stupid.” Chan looked around till he saw Felix, who was wrapping a blanket around Jeongin tightly. “You two as well. Jeongin hasn’t been sleeping and is almost crashing at any moment, and Felix, please keep an eye on those two idiots over there.”

 

Felix made an ok sign with his fingers. “On the lookout as always!”

 

Seungmin jumped up from where he was sitting, excited that he was allowed to go. “Wait, aren’t we going to wait till Woojin gets back?” 

 

“Please stop it, Seungmin-” 

 

“Wait, don’t take us to the village,” Seungcheol asked him. “Not yet, at least. We have a request.”


 

***

 

When his family came back from the meeting, Taehyung was sent off to collect some roots, so off he went, carrying his basket. 

 

He set the basket on his head and went on his way, hoping to tire himself before he got home so that he could pass out.

 

“Taehyung, wait.” He looked around and saw Hakyeon coming up to him, also with a basket in tow. “Wait for me!”

 

Surprised, Taehyung stopped, waiting for his best friend to catch up. “You too?” he asked.

 

“Finding mushrooms.” Hakyeon reached up to where Taehyung was standing, plucking the basket off his head. “She wants people over-“

 

“Oh, how fun.” Taehyung rolled his eyes, reminding himself how much he hated Hakyeon’s mother. “I had to clean the entire house while they were at the meeting.”

 

“That meeting was bad, let me tell you that.” Hakyeon looped his arm around Taehyung’s, the two walking together. “Somebody is arrested for treason-“

 

“Treason? Who??” Taehyung asked, confused. He didn’t know much about rumors in the village, much less who would be more likely to commit treason. “That’s so weird-“

 

“Wait, hold on, I hear something.” 

 

Taehyung raised an eye but stopped per his friend’s request. “I think you’re hearing things-”

 

At that moment, though, Taehyung did hear it. Or, rather him. He heard him. 

 

“Is that someone running?” Hakyeon asked Taehyung. 

 

“Why are you asking me, I don’t know!!” 

 

“I mean, I don’t know, it sounds like it!!” Hakyeon yelled back at him. “Do we run or hide?”

 

Taehyung let go of Hakyeon’s arm, sprinting towards the noise. “I don’t know-”

 

Said person running finally came in view, and Taehyung was able to recognize him. It was one of those omegas, Byun Baekhyun, who was always with his group of friends, the quiet one. 

 

“Oh, shoot!!” Hakyeon dropped the baskets on the ground, not concerned about them for the moment. “He probably found out, Taehyung-"

 

“Found out what?” Taehyung asked him, running towards Baekhyun. “BAEKHYUN!! WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?!”

 

Baekhyun, who finally noticed them, stopped in his tracks. Taehyung couldn’t see that well from here, but… was Baekhyun crying? “I- they- they’re-”

 

Baekhyun burst into tears, collapsing on the ground. 

 

Taehyung reached to where Baekhyun was, kneeling on the ground to maintain eye lever. “What’s wrong, are you okay? Are you hurt?” he asked, checking Baekhyun to make sure he didn’t have any external injuries. 

 

The latter didn’t respond, continuing to sob on the ground. Taehyung had no idea what to do. 

 

Hakyeon appeared next to Taehyung, also kneeling on the ground to put his arm around the omega crying. “I’m so sorry, Baekhyun, I- I really… really can’t stand the village people.”

 

“What did they do?!” Taehyung asked, still confused as to what was going on. “Is he hurt?”

 

Hakyeon gave him a not now look, not wanting to make the omega any more upset, though that proved to be useless, the forest being silent except for the cries of the lonely omega. 

 

***

 

They reached the stream. 

 

There were ten guys, with varying levels of injuries or tiredness. All acting on their impulsiveness, but no one acting on selfishness. 

 

The group stopped, momentarily, seeing as Jaebum was limping on a sprained or broken ankle, and Jaehyun had been beaten. Jinyoung was better off than the two alphas, but he still had been manhandled, having been thrown on the ground here and there, and was suffering from nausea and aches. 

 

They were stopped for five minutes, which Jaehyun took it as the opportunity to collapse on the ground, trying to catch his breath. 

 

Taeyong couldn’t ask him if he was okay, because it was obvious that Jaehyun wasn’t. Not that Jaehyun would admit it. He would lie about it anyway. 

 

He lifted up Jaehyun’s shirt, staring at the bruises dotting his skin. It pained Taeyong to see his alpha like this, all beaten up when he did nothing wrong. Jaehyun didn’t deserve it, how could they?

 

“I’m so sorry.” Taeyong could feel tears fill up in his eyes. “I’m so sorry to what they did to you-”

 

“Huh? Baby, none of this is your fault, I- I wasn’t careful.” Jaehyun forced himself to sit up, wincing at the pain but held his tongue. He didn’t want to make Taeyong worry, he hated making him worry. 

 

Taeyong noticed, though, his hands reaching out to help Jaehyun sit up. “You need to rest-”

 

“I’m- hey.” Jaehyun grabbed Taeyong’s wrist, making eye contact with him. “Taeyong. Please believe what I’m saying.”

 

Taeyong stared at him wide-eyed, nodding slowly. 

 

“Look.” Jaehyun leaned forward- well, as much as he could anyway. “I heard them talking,” he whispered, not wanting the rest of the group to hear him. “About many lies that they tell this village.”

 

“I- lies?” Taeyong said softly back to him. “What- what lies?”

 

Jaehyun sighed. “They’ve always told us we were all alone,” he explained. “But, Taeyong, we’re not. Taeyong, they talked about a kingdom out there, about cities, other villages that all talk to one another yet we are trapped are here, baby, and they- they dropped a book.”

 

Taeyong didn’t react for a few seconds, processing everything Jaehyun just said. “I- we’re not alone?” he asked him. “But- wait, what was the book about?”

 

“I don’t know, but I think it’s important.” Jaehyun ran his hands over his thighs, hating the bruising. “I hid it. They ran after me and I hid it. They beat me for it but I wouldn’t tell them.”

 

Taeyong thought about the men who came into their house, claiming to be looking for something that Jaehyun hid. “That’s what they were looking for!” he told Jaehyun. “That book!” 

 

“Wait, what? Who’s they?” Jaehyun asked him. 

 

Internally, Taeyong debated telling Jaehyun or not. But he was always honest to him and never hid anything from him. “I- I was waiting for you to come back from work.”

 

***

 

“Look at you!!” Minghao exclaimed. “Prince Yoon Jeonghan of Kaeleous!” 

 

Jeonghan put his hands on the lace. “Does it look okay? I don’t really wear feminine stuff that much.”

 

“You look amazing!!” Minghao clapped his hands together, jumping out of the bed. “You’re gonna run this Kingdom one day while look gorgeous doing it!”

 

“Oh shut up.” Jeonghan sat at the chair behind him, sighing. “I’m so stressed, Hao, do you think I look good enough for Seungcheol? What if I style my hair-”

 

“HEY!!” Minghao shouted, putting his hands on his hips. “What did we say?” 

 

Jeonghan rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, looking away from Minghao. “I don’t remember.”

 

“No, we went over this while I was getting ready!” Minghao reminded him. “Come on!”

 

They spent the morning together until Jeonghan was forced to do some royalty stuff alone, a lot of it being omega etiquette etc. He usually didn’t have an issue, but since he always met people from other places, it was important to have a run down on what customs and traditions others are used to so that he didn’t offend anyone. 

 

By the time they saw each other again earlier, Minghao had brought his clothes into Jeonghan’s room, wanting to get ready. He didn’t really go all out, wearing some black slacks and a white button down shirt, pairing it with golden hoops. 

 

While getting ready, though, Jeonghan had been stalling, brushing his hair the entire time. Now, though, he had no more time to waste, so he got ready in a haste, his stomach filling with dread. 

 

Why was he scared? He’s done this so many times to all the important events in his life, what was it this time that made him so terrified? 

 

Because he was seeing Seungcheol tonight. 

 

Jeonghan closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. “I can’t mess this up, Minghao,” he said quietly. “I- I really do like him.”

 

Minghao’s face softened. “Oh, you poor thing.” He stood in front of Jeonghan and gave him a hug, not caring whether their clothes got wrinkled or not. “He’ll like you, I’m sure!”

 

 

“Don’t tell me, you’re actually going with the plan.” 

 

Seungcheol turned around to see Soonyoung behind him. “I’m getting paid hush money,” he said. “Of course I wasn’t going to back down.”

 

Soonyoung sighed. “I thought you were hanging out with him.”

 

“You think I actually care about him?” Seungcheol started laughing. “Be for real, Soonyoung.”

 

“Would you have cared about him if he were a normal citizen like us?” Soonyoung looked around, watching how guests were starting to enter the ballroom. “No offense, Seungcheol, but I don’t think ruining his outfit is worth it.”

 

Seungcheol thought of Jeonghan, if he were to have been born a normal person. Seungcheol would have courted him in a heartbeat, he admitted it. He really did. But Jeonghan was a prince. He wasn’t genuine, no matter how much of a kind person others thought he was. 

 

“He deserves it,” Seungcheol whispered. “They all do.”

 

Soonyoung shook his head. “I really hope he doesn’t have a crush on you or anything. I’d feel so bad for him.”

 

***

 

Junmyeon woke up to someone removing their arms off his waist. 

 

In his sleepy state, Junmyeon didn’t even question who it was, just grabbing the arms and pulling them closer, holding onto them tight.

 

His eyelids shut again, ready to make him doze off again, until he realized… someone’s arms were around his waist. 

 

Junmyeon was blinking wide awake now, turning around to see Yifan, who had a flushed look on his face. “I- I was trying not to wake you up, I’m sorry.”

 

“I- oh, I’m sorry!” Junmyeon sat upright, covering his chest with his arms. He was embarrassed to have done that to Yifan, especially while half asleep. “I- I don’t know why I grabbed them.”

 

“You’re fine.” Yifan removed the blanket that must have somehow covered both of them in the middle of the night without noticing - they were each given their own, and this looked like the one Yifan had. Did they just unconsciously cuddle with each other in their sleep? “I wonder what they are doing.”

 

Junmyeon listened quietly, where they could hear some arguing. “Oh no, I wonder- who do you think it is?”

 

Yifan frowned, picking up bits and pieces of the argument. “It’s not Junhui or Minghao,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. “Come on, let’s see what’s going on.”