V

Life Will Change

The doors drew open on the palace that was the Kim Headquarters. 

Wendy held her breath. 

"Huh. Where the is everyone?" 

There was almost nobody inside the grand lobby, except for 3 women who were seated patiently by a staircase. 

Jennie let out a rather audible tut, showing her displeasure. She approached the 3 women who had shown up, while Wendy took in her new surroundings. 

The interior was certainly just as grand as the exterior was, though the furniture was styled in a more modern style than the outside would suggest. The lobby had two staircases that led up to the second floor. Straight ahead seemed to be an assembly area, but Wendy couldn't see it very well since only one door was open. It was very spacious. Wendy was sure there was more to the place but she couldn't get the chance to explore for now, as Jennie signaled her over to the other three women. 

"Sorry Wendy, we had some... issues so almost everyone couldn't make it." 

Jennie now pointed to the women who did show. Wendy's first instinct was to bow, and she was glad when they also returned the greeting. 

"This is Jisoo, Lisa and Rose. My three most trusted soldiers." 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Wendy." 

The blonde introduced herself first. 

"Good to meet you, I'm Rose." 

Friendly, well-mannered and polite was what Wendy gathered from her greeting.

Next was the redhead. 

"Jisoo! Hope we get along well!"

She had a bubbly charm to her that Wendy had to smile at. 

Lastly, the one with dirty grey hair. 

"Whassup. I'm Lisa." 

Monotonous, dead serious. Wendy frowned a little.

"Ni-nice to meet you all, I'm Wendy. Please show me the ropes." 

Jisoo and Rose looked at each other before starting to laugh. Lisa cracked a grin. 

Wendy furrowed her eyebrows. 

"It's been a while since someone greeted us so politely." 

"Yeah. Good job finding this one Jennie, she isn't a total ." 

Jisoo coughed loudly after that comment, her eyes glancing over to Lisa as she spoke. The fierce-looking girl snarled. 

" off, midget." 

Jisoo stuck her tongue out. 

Jennie shook her head. 

"Rose, I'll put you in charge of Wendy for now. She is in no way shape or form good enough to do anything for us now, so train her up, why don't you?"

Wendy felt slightly insulted by Jennie's remarks, but it was a fact. She put her head down and let Jennie finish her orders. 

"Jisoo, Lisa. You two come with me. We need to discuss the problem we got going on right now." 

"Rodger dodger, boss!" 

"Yes, boss." 

Jennie placed her hand on Wendy's shoulder. 

"Rose's gonna take good care of you. I'll see you soon Wendy."

"Yes, Jennie. See you soon." 

With a wave, Jennie, Jisoo, and Lisa left the building, leaving only Rose and Wendy behind. 

"Jennie huh? First name basis with the boss?" 

Rose had a little smirk on her face. 

"O-oh, sh-she was the one who told me to call her by her first name..." 

"I know, silly. She does that for all new recruits. She will expect you to start calling her boss as you rise in the ranks though, so don't get used to it." 

"O-okay..." 

Rose began to snigger. Wendy pouted. 

"Gosh, you're stuttering so much. Nervous huh?" 

"Ye-yeah..."

"Let me guess, you got thrown in here against your will?" 

Wendy's eyes widened. Rose gave a sympathetic smile. 

"I can tell. No one who chooses to or is chosen to join this life is half as polite as you at first. They learn respect later on. This place houses some of the least feminine women you'll ever meet in your life, and the men are just brutal." 

"You, however. You're just a little girl. No way someone would have just chosen you of all people to join us, and I'm certain you wouldn't have chosen to come here." 

Wendy nodded. 

"You're right." 

Rose smiled. 

"I know I am." 

Wendy let out a sigh. She saw Rose offer a cigarette, which she declined right away. 

"Sorry, I hate smoking." 

Rose smirked. 

"Good. I won't smoke around you then." 

"Do all mafia members smoke?" 

"Of course not. I didn't initially, but the stress piles on after a while. Plus, peer pressure becomes a big factor. Keep up your will, don't smoke. It's awful." 

"Why don't you quit?" 

"Haven't found a reason to. Lung cancer isn't going to be what gets me killed in here anyway." 

"That's bleak." 

Rose chuckled. 

"It sure is." 

They sat in silence for a minute. Wendy continued to look around the lobby, occasionally wandering around the lobby to keep her feet moving while Rose just watched, her head resting on her hand. 

"What's upstairs?" Wendy asked, pointing at the floor above them. 

"Off-limits." 

"Why?" 

"That's where all the heads have their meetings, in addition to the weaponry and documents. I've only been up there once myself. There are records of everything and everyone inside." 

"How did you get all that information?" 

Rose furrowed her eyebrows. She became a little sterner, Wendy could see her lips tilt downwards. 

"You're asking an awful lot of questions aren't you?" 

Wendy sputtered. 

"Um, umm, I-I'm just curious is all..." 

Rose's eyebrows didn't straighten. She stood up, approaching Wendy slowly.

Wendy knew she had to stand her ground, or else she would be admitting her guilt rather obviously. She took a deep breath, puffed her chest out and attempted to face Rose. 

Rose was now inches away from Wendy. 

"You're not a rat are you?" 

"N-no." 

"Are you a rat?"

"No." 

"Are you?!"

"NO!" 

Wendy felt something explode within her. Perhaps it was the sheer panic and fear of being found out, or maybe it was her hatred of being a liar. 

Wendy was seething. Her teeth were gritted, her fists were clenched so hard her knuckles had turned white, and she was panting heavily. Rose watched for a while, her expression not changing. Eyebrows were still furrowed, and her eyes were staring right into Wendy's as if digging for a clue. 

"I took the vow, Rose. I won't betray my brothers and sisters."

Rose's eyebrows finally straightened themselves. She smiled.

"I stepped out of line there. I disrespected one of my sisters by not believing her words." 

"Wendy, punch me." 

Wendy tilted her head. 

"Excuse me?"

"Punch me. Right now." 

"N-no, I won't-" 

"Do it. Please. You'll be doing me a favor. As hard as you can." 

Wendy sighed. Mustering all the strength she had, she swung at Rose's cheek with all the momentum she could gather in her shoulder. 

"Oh my god!" 

Wendy gasped as Rose collapsed to the ground, holding her cheek and wincing in pain. She lifted her hand to reveal a cut right above her cheekbone, crimson blood on her palm. A bruise was already starting to form. 

"Hell of a punch..." Rose chuckled, her lip tilting upwards. 

Wendy began to panic, her hands moving continuously, unsure of what to do or where to touch. She kneeled next to Rose and took her hand, but Rose gently brushed her away. 

"Now we're even." 

Rose pulled Wendy in for a hug, surprising the panicking girl as her arms still flailed around for a while more before eventually relaxing around the taller's woman's shoulders. 

"How old are you by the way?" 

"I'm 20."

"20?!" 

Rose pulled away, mouth open from shock. Wendy giggled. 

"I'm nearly hitting 26 over here, you're 20?! Oh, man." 

Rose stood up, giving Wendy a hand and helping her up too. They began to walk towards the assembly area that Wendy had seen earlier. It was a large auditorium, with rows upon rows of seats that could fit hundreds and a stage at the very bottom with a silver podium. They took a left from there exited the building.

"Wow, this place is beautiful." 

Wendy had been led to a garden outdoors. There was a pond in the middle of it, about 40 feet long with large pieces of stone surrounding it. Spread out around the perimeter were dozens and dozens of flowers, which Wendy sadly couldn't see very well because of the lack of light, though the lamps placed around the garden helped a little. They sat by a bench, with Rose buying two cans of coffee from a vending machine nearby. 

She tossed a can to Wendy and placed her own on her cheek, grunting at the pain that was inflicted by Wendy. 

"I'm sorry..." 

Rose shook her head.

"I can safely say that's the biggest hit a 20-year-old girl has ever hit me with." 

"Thank you...?" Wendy smiled sheepishly. 

"I can tell that was not your first punch. Been in scruffles in the past?" 

"A few." 

"Who caused it?" 

"...Me, most of the time." 

Rose sniggered. 

"So you aren't the pure white snowflake you seemed to be." 

"...Perhaps so." 

"Who'd you fight?" 

"Boys that were bullying my sister. Others that were behaving rudely in public or disrespecting elders." 

"And you just swung?" 

I kind of lose it when that stuff happens." 

"I'll have to work on your temper then. Cannot afford to lose your cool in this business."

"So I've heard." 

"From?" 

"Any mafia movie in existence." 

Rose let out a laugh. 

Wendy's head swiveled from left to right, admiring the scenery in the silence that was provided by having just the company of one person. Wendy closed her eyes and took in the ambient noises, from Rose's sips of her coffee to the distant noises of birds and insects. Not a single peep from the city down below them. 

"This place must be a great getaway from the city." 

"It sure is. I'm glad base is set up here, though we don't come here often." 

"Why not?" 

"This place is mainly for the heads and certain bodyguards. It's only used for meetings, events like funerals, weddings, or anniversaries." 

Wendy nodded. 

"Why the top of a mountain?" 

"No clue, though I'm not complaining." 

Wendy twiddled with her thumbs, her legs swayed back and forth. She wasn't sure what was a good conversation to bring up to make small talk with Rose. 

"I'm still really sorry about the hit..." 

Rose began to laugh once again. She gently patted Wendy's thigh. 

"It's okay. I deserved it. I broke a code, the code of mutual respect among brothers and sisters. It was wrong of me to accuse you, so it was only right that I am punished for it." 

"Are there any more unwritten rules that I should be aware of?"

"Here? Don't deal with drugs, do not mess with anybody's girlfriend, sister or wife unless there are honorable reasons behind it, and of course, have respect for your sisters." 

"Girlfriends? Wives?" 

Rose chuckled. 

"Almost all of us here aren't straight. We like women." 

"O-oh..." 

"Do you like women?" 

Wendy looked at Rose. She blinked once, then once more. The beauty of Rose was undeniable. She suddenly felt her eyes trace the shape of Rose's jaw, sail down the smooth bridge of her nose and falling onto her pink lips, and eventually sliding down to her chest. 

Wendy's cheeks flushed red. Rose giggled. 

"Looks like I have your answer. I appreciate your eyes looking in all the right places." 

Wendy let out a cough. 

"I never knew I was attracted to women..." 

"Never tried?" 

"N-no, I always assumed I was straight..." 

"Boys ever caught your eye?" 

Wendy racked her memory. 

"Now that you mention it..." 

"Congratulations on discovering yourself."

The two laughed together. 

"I'm learning so much about you," Rose said, throwing her now empty coffee can to the side. 

"What about you? Anything I can learn about you?" 

"Me?" Rose looked at Wendy's large eyes, curious and eager for answers. Rose shrugged her shoulders. 

"I don't know. I don't find myself particularly interesting." 

Wendy suddenly felt her heart race as she looked at Rose's side profile. 

"I-I'd love to learn more about you..." 

Wendy's head retreated downwards, staring at her feet, feeling her ears heat up. Rose raised an eyebrow. 

"Oh my god, are you in love with me?"

"What?! N-no, no, no way, no no no way-" 

"Am I that unattractive?"

"No! You're very attractive, I just-" 

Rose sniggered, her giggles more punctuated and high pitched than what Wendy had heard from the other mob members thus far. She put her hands around and gently patted it as a mother would to her child. 

"Nice hair. Blonde suits you." 

"Th-thank you..."

"So, what do you want to know about me?" 

***

"That's all you got so far?" 

"Yes, it seems that's it." 

Irene's forehead creased.

"Thanks for bringing this to my attention Jennie." 

Jennie bowed her head, seating herself down in her seat again. 

Irene sighed. She looked around the room, seeing all her chosen captains looking right back at her, every single one of them expectantly waiting for an answer from their Big Boss. 

"So, it has now come to my attention that more and more of our businesses are coming under attack recently. Does anyone of you know who's hitting our shops?" 

"Not a clue, Boss." 

"Not the faintest idea, Boss." 

"Nothing from me." 

Irene's displeasure was increasing. She relaxed in her chair at the very head of the table, taking a sip of wine to help calm herself down. Sooyoung sat to her right, fingers tapping against the armrest on her chair. 

"I understand that Jennie's women weren't able to attend their new member's initiation party today because of this, and I apologize because of that." 

"Y'all threw a party for her?" Siwon sniggered, nudging the arm of a man with slicked-back hair next to him, who also began to find the gesture amusing. 

Jennie just remained silent, not wanting to engage in an argument with the rather irritating man seated across of her. 

"How is she?" Irene asked, which surprised Jennie. 

"Umm, one of my sisters is taking care of her at the moment. She's fine." 

Irene nodded. 

"Sisters", Siwon repeated, mocking Jennie's term for the soldiers in her family. He shook his head. 

"Bunch of softies." 

"Siwon." 

"Boss, I'm sorry, but how could you put a whole lot of women in charge of a protection racket?" 

Jennie gripped the sides of her chair. 

"The element of surprise, Siwon. No one would expect women to beat them up, would they?"

"Did they beat anyone up?" 

Irene glanced at Jennie, raising an eyebrow. Jennie hung her head. 

"4 shops hit, almost 3 totaled. The one that didn't get ruined has severe injuries..." 

Siwon gestured, his face practically screaming with an expression of, "I told you so." 

"It is still my decision to assign tasks to who I see fit. Besides, could you delegate any men from your activities in Jamsil-dong?" 

"I can't, but I'm sure Heechul could."

The man with slicked-back hair nodded.

Irene breathed heavily through her nose. 

"I trust Jennie." 

Siwon threw his hands up. 

"Whatever, boss." 

Sooyoung slammed her hand on the table. 

"Hey hey, show some ing respect here Choi Siwon. What right do you have to lose your temper at Boss?" 

Siwon tried to fight back, but gave up in the end, bowing his head. 

"Sorry, Boss." 

"No no no, that's not going to cut it-" 

Irene raised her hand, silencing Sooyoung. 

"Siwon. The fact I'm even letting you run your pathetic ion scheme under me is already a blessing. If you disrespect me once again, I will shut it down."

Irene's eyes pierced through Siwon like a hot knife through butter, a stare as sharp as a dagger. Siwon flinched.

"...Yes, boss." 

"Good. Now, Jennie, please make sure your women are prepared for any more attacks in the future. I suspect another family is trying to come and take our spot."

"Yes, boss." 

"Shindong, how is the gas station deal going?" 

"It's going great, boss. We're basically cheating the government out of millions here." 

Irene gave a firm nod. 

"Excellent. Our monthly review will be approaching soon, so prepare your financial reports. The meeting is adjourned." 

"Thank you, boss." 

The captains stood up and bowed to Irene, all leaving the room one by one. Siwon pulled Heechul to his side and began whispering in his ear as they left the room. 

"Hey, Jennie." 

"Yes, boss?" 

"Make sure that Wendy girl is okay." 

Irene could hear Sooyoung snigger by her side. 

"Yes boss, I will." 

"Good. Off you go." 

The last of the captains left the room, gently closing the door behind her, gold doorknobs tightening as the doors came together. 

"Bae Irene, whipped ." 

"Quiet, Sooyoung, honestly." 

Irene grabbed her head, finishing the last few droplets of wine in her cup before asking Sooyoung to pour more for herself. 

"Headache?" 

"Something like that. I thought I'd gotten rid of every threat in Seoul..." 

"You can't kill a cockroach, they'll just keep coming back." 

Irene sighed. 

"I'm just... getting tired, Sooyoung." 

"Tired? Of what?" 

"Everything." 

Sooyoung swirled the bottle of vodka in her hands. 

"You've been doing this for nearly 10 years already, Irene. I don't quite blame you." 

Irene stared up at the ceiling, watching the chandelier above her swing slowly from left to right, left to right. She closed her eyes. 

"I think I need some rest, Sooyoung-ah. Give me some time alone in here." 

"I'll stand guard by the door. Call me in if you need anything." 

"Thanks, Sooyoung." 

Irene waited till she heard the sound of the doors closing before she let one teardrop roll down her eye. 

"What is wrong with me..." 

***

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. You've been yawning a lot. Tired?" 

"Yeah, I'm a little tired. I've been up all day, keeping watch at a nightclub and had to rush over here to attend your meeting." 

Wendy's shoulders dropped. 

"I'm sorry." 

"Don't be. Besides, I still have enough energy left to answer whatever questions you have about me before I see you to your new safehouse."

"I have a new safehouse?" 

"You'll be living with me for now. Until you get familiar with our operations and what you're supposed to do, you'll stick with me so I can keep an eye on you. Think of me as your mentor." 

"O-okay." 

"So, your questions?" 

"Umm, how'd you get in this life?" 

"Money, simple as that. My family is dirt poor, coming from overseas. We could barely afford food here so I turned to crime, and now I'm here." 

"Oh, you're from overseas?"

"New Zealand. My dad went into huge debt so we ended up running away here to get away. Some chased us all the way here, but I was already with the mob at that point so nothing came up from that." 

"You paid off your debt?" 

"No, I killed them." 

Wendy felt goosebumps rise on her arms. 

"It's a cold world in this life, Wendy. Killing just becomes part of it. You took part in the vow, didn't you?"

"Ye-yeah?" 

"And what was part of the vow?" 

"...Live by the gun and knife, die by the gun and knife." 

"Exactly. Only a matter of time before it's your turn." 

"I don't want to kill anyone." 

Rose smiled. 

"You'll have to." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

Hey~ Sorry for the slow update, my brain hasn't been able to come up with much creative juice this week, and the news of Wendy just sort of... left me in a rotten mood. 

On the other hand, Psycho was released! It's a great song, definitely Song of The Year for me. 

I apologize for the quality of this chapter. It's a lot of dialogue and isn't very long. I'm sorry but I just can't really think at the moment. The next chapter will be better, I promise. 

Rose has been introduced now, and she's going to be Wendy's mentor from now. Expect to see her quite a bit. 

And what's going on with Irene? 

See you soon lovelies~ <3