III

Life Will Change

The taxi ride home was only fifteen minutes. 

To Wendy, it had felt like an eternity. 

The events of the last few hours had finally caught up to her. She had been so absorbed by what was happening at the moment that she never had a chance to properly digest what her life was going to be from now on.

She was going to be a mafioso. A member of organized crime. 

At the same time, she was also an undercover agent that was going to take down that same crime family she was going to be working for. 

It just seemed so absurd, all of it. It was like a movie storyline that Wendy would have written for her Art of Story class back at school. It was like a dream, a dream Wendy badly wanted to wake up from.

She wanted to have Mrs. Choi come and shake her awake like usual, only for her to stir around in her bed because she was always a heavy sleeper. She wanted Yeri to get up and drag her out of bed, screaming about breakfast and how delicious the eggs and bacon smelled every morning. She wanted to brush her teeth side by side with her little sister and head to the dining table afterward, where Mr. Choi would be reading the newspaper despite his wife's numerous attempts to get him to read the news on his phone. Mr. Choi always disliked technology.

She wanted to have that typical morning.

She wanted to come back to reality. 

However, that reality was soon about to become a dream. 

And that dream she wanted to wake out of, was about to become reality. 

"We're here, ma'am." 

The tired voice of the taxi driver snapped Wendy out her thoughts. After a brief exchange of thanks and well wishes, Wendy left the vehicle and faced the Choi household. 

Wendy trod the stone path lightly as if expecting an alarm to trip if she stepped too hard. She approached the door and found that it was locked. She used the secret key that was underneath a rock in the garden, typical, and opened the front door. 

There were no signs of activity. Letting out a deep sigh of relief, she closed the door quietly behind her and slowly tip-toed to her room. 

"Wow, you're up early, Wendy." 

Wendy jolted. 

"Oh, uhh, hi Mr. Choi. Umm, I went out for a jog is all." 

Mr. Choi raised an eyebrow. It looked like he had just woken up, with his eyes barely open and his hair still frizzy. Wendy crossed her fingers, hoping that Mr. Choi hadn't noticed Wendy's absence through the night. 

"A jog huh? Well, good that you're taking care of your health. I expect my wife to be awake soon so don't get too hungry now." 

"Yes, thank you, Mr. Choi." 

"Thank goodness."

Wendy dashed past Mr. Choi and burst through her room door, her head darting to the top of the bunk bed.

There she was, underneath her blanket that draped over her like a shadow. Her body was quivering a little, pretty obvious from the shaking of the blanket, and she was chewing on her thumb, anxious and worried. Wendy felt her heart pang at the sight. 

"Yeri-ah, I'm home." 

Wendy had to cover Yeri's mouth to make sure that the little girl didn't start screaming. Yeri wrapped herself in Wendy's arms, diving into her chest and whimpering doses of 'Thank God' and 'I'm sorry'. Wendy closed all distance between them, placing a deep kiss on her little sister's forehead and rubbing her hand up and down Yeri's back, reassuring her. 

"I'm back, Yeri-ah. Everything's okay, everything is okay..."

"A-are you sure everything is okay, sis?"

Honestly, Wendy had no clue. 

"Yes, everything's okay, Yeri-ah." 

Yeri nodded, resting her head in between Wendy's collarbones. Wendy let out a breathy sigh, brushing Yeri's hair with her fingers. They stayed like that for a bit, Wendy enjoying the warmth that her little sister provided. She buried her nose in the little girl's hair, taking in the scent. She didn't know if she wouldn't be able to enjoy that scent as much anymore so she took her opportunities. 

"Breakfast is going to be ready soon, sis... come join us." 

Wendy looked at the time. It was fast becoming 9 am.

The card in her pocket suddenly weighed down like a ton of bricks. 

"I-I can't, Yeri-ah..."

The little girl looked crestfallen. 

"Why? Are the police taking you away again?!" 

Wendy forced out a smile. 

"N-no, sweetheart."

Wendy gulped. She was going to have to do something she hated.

She was going to have to lie.

"D-don't tell Mr. and Mrs. Choi about this, but I got a letter from my school, and I'll be going somewhere else to study. It's big, it's going to help unnie become a singer. I'm meeting with the person that's gonna accompany me to the new school later." 

Yeri's eyes suddenly lit up again, the mirth reinjected into the pupils that Wendy loved so much. 

"Really?! Unnie's gonna be a singer?!"

Wendy forced that smile again. 

"Y-yes, so unnie will be gone for a little bit, okay? I will visit as much as I can."

"When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow. I'll tell Mr. and Mrs. Choi later."

"Okay! OMG, unnie's gonna be a singer~"

Wendy watched Yeri dance around excitedly underneath her blanket. At least she was able to bring reassurance and some joy to her little sister. 

Now, convincing Mr. and Mrs. Choi, that was going to be a little more difficult. 

"Maybe Detective Seulgi can help me out..."

Wendy pressed her lips on Yeri's forehead once more before leaving the room again, but she felt a tiny hand wrap around her wrist and tug ber back. Yeri was clinging onto Wendy's arm, eyes bright and smile wide. 

"Can I come? I don't want to leave you again, after what happened earlier..."

Wendy felt her heart shatter into pieces. She gathered herself, forcing out a reply.

"N-no, you can't, Yeri-ah..."

"Why not?!"

Wendy forced a smile again. 

"You've had a long night, Yeri-ah. Go get some rest, okay? I'll be back soon." 

"No!"

Yeri refused to let go. Wendy didn't want to either. 

"Yeri-ah, please. I'll be back soon, I promise." 

The little girl began to sulk. 

"...Fine." 

Wendy smiled. 

"Good girl." 

Wendy headed to the front door, where she called for a cab.

"Where to?"

"Itaewon."

***

The McDonalds wasn't too hard to find, and neither was Seulgi, who was sat by the corner of the fast-food restaurant. Still in her trench coat, and clutching a cup of coffee in her hand. Wendy made a beeline for her. 

"Hey, Detect-" 

Seulgi quickly shushed Wendy, loudly speaking over her as if she were a friend of Wendy's for many years. Her arms were outstretched and she had a humongous smile on her face, a far cry from the blank expression that Wendy had associated Seulgi with. 

"Wendy-ah! Oh, it's been a while since I've seen you, how have you been?!" 

Seulgi pulled the rather puzzled girl in for a hug, further confusing the younger girl. 

"Wha-"

"You've been followed here. Act natural." 

Wendy's eyes widened. Seulgi pulled away from the hug, that abnormally bright smile still on her face. She was a phenomenal actor. 

"I'm starving, and I know you don't like crowded places, so how about we take away some food and head to my place?"

"Su-sure! Se-Seulgi...!"

The detective beamed at her, quickly grabbing Wendy's arm and pulling her to the queue. She pulled Wendy close, almost too close. Wendy shuddered. 

"That man in the black suit has been following you ever since you left the station. What Park Sooyoung said was bull, you think they'd let you go unsupervised for 24 hours?"

Wendy felt goosebumps rise on her arms. She took a quick peek behind her, and there was a man, just standing by the door, calling someone on the phone and looking into the store. She gulped.

"I-I'm sorry..."

"Don't be sorry. The mob doesn't mess with civilians, so the moment you enter my safehouse we'll be fine." 

Seulgi pulled away from Wendy and went back to her act of being Wendy's lifelong friend. 

"So, how's your singing career going? Everything coming along well?"

Wendy's eyes went wide.

"How did you- Uhh, yeah everything's been great!" 

Seulgi smiled again. 

"Eyes and ears, Miss Son."

Wendy nodded slowly, turning to the front and looking at the menu, a little freaked out by Seulgi's knowledge. 

Seulgi turned around, and the man was still outside the store.

"Good. Miss Son, the man-

"You look pretty when you smile, Detective." 

Seulgi was taken aback.

"...Thanks." 

They placed their orders and waited for their food, Seulgi creating some small talk that only required Wendy to nod at and giggle every once in a while. They grabbed their food and left the store, Wendy turning behind once in a while and sure enough, the man was following them. Seulgi pulled Wendy closer to her, patting Wendy's arm to calm her down every once in a while until they arrived at an apartment complex. 

"We're safe from here on," Seulgi said, turning into the lobby of the apartment complex. The man stopped following, making a call on his phone again before turning around and walking away. 

Wendy put her hand on her chest, releasing the breath that she had been holding this time. Seulgi pressed the buttons to the elevator, patting Wendy's back to calm her down. 

"You're in for a rough time, Miss Son, if that gets you this agitated." 

The elevator doors opened. 

***

"Make yourself comfortable."

Seulgi hung her trench coat up by coat rack at the front door. Wendy gingerly stepped into the house, turning her head left and right as she took a look around the apartment. 

"Wow, you stay here? It's quite nice."

"No, it's just a safe house. I have a bunch of these places around Korea when I go for little endeavors like this." 

Wendy nodded, seating herself on the cream-white leather sofa that was atop a beautiful grey carpet. She looked at the 55-inch 4K TV, the diamond ashtray, the six bedrooms that were further down the hall, and the elaborate chandelier that hung above her head.

"... You must be rich." 

Seulgi snorted. She brought Wendy a cup of coffee, which puzzled the young woman since she had just ordered coffee from McDonald's earlier. 

"Don't drink that garbage, drink this."

"But you were drinking-"

"That's why I know it's garbage. Drink this." 

Wendy listened, thanking Seulgi for the drink as she watched Seulgi dump the food she had just ordered down the rubbish chute. 

"Isn't that wasting food?"

"I'm throwing junk food along with the junk." 

"... Okay then."  

Seulgi grabbed a remote and the TV as Wendy took a bite of the Sausage McMuffin. What was on the screen wasn't a television program, but instead it was a mind map, where there were various faces that linked to one, Wendy had to say, beautiful face at the very top. 

"This is the family that you're going to be working for from tomorrow onwards."

"The Bae Family."

"Correct. The most powerful crime family in Korea today."

"I thought the mob had died out, especially over here?"

"That's what they want you to think, but they just got quieter, got smarter. No more 'wiseguys' or men in trench coats strolling all over the place now. They went underground, into the shadows. Not as successful as before, but just as dangerous."

Wendy nodded. She could already feel her heart start to beat a little quicker. 

"These are the people we've identified so far. They had fourteen captains, but we managed to arrest four." 

"From left to right, that's Heechul, Leeteuk, Yesung, Shindong, Eunhyuk, Siwon, Donghae, Ryeowook, Kyuhyun and Jennie. They each control a certain part of Korea and all have their little businesses within their territories."

"Are these their real names?"

"Of course not." 

Wendy nodded. 

Seulgi continued.

"What each of them currently controls, we have no idea. We've been unable to find any links between what shops work for who, and which state these people are even in charge of. The only one who we remotely have an idea on is Jennie, who we know for a fact runs a protection racket that we discovered so far, only consisting of women. It's kind of her shtick, she only works with women. She doesn't seem very popular with the other male captains. The four we arrested all ratted her out but we don't have any other real concrete evidence to nail her."

"I hope I get put with her..." 

"You better pray. Or else you'd probably wind up a e or sold somewhere for ." 

Wendy gasped. 

"Won't happen. I'll get you out if that situation arises."

"How?"

"We won't discuss that, because it won't happen."

"O-okay..." 

Seulgi used a laser pointer and circled the faces she had just spoken about. 

"These people in the middle here, they're the captains. Remember that, but not really. If they know you've got background information on them, they'll get suspicious. You're supposed to be an innocent girl that's on her luck, remember that." 

"Ri-right..." 

Seulgi now circled the empty spot beneath the captains that read 'soldier'. 

"You'd most likely be here, the soldiers, the ones running around doing the dirty work. like being a transporter or a messenger."

Wendy nodded.

"What do you think I'll do?"

"Honestly? You'd either be a messenger for clients, clients always prefer to talk to pretty faces, a transporter for things like drugs and guns, because you don't look suspicious, extortion, your pretty face would help with that, or if you're with Jennie, you'd be in her protection racket."

"You brought that up earlier. What's a protection racket?" 

"A protection scheme for both small and big businesses against gangsters or rival crime families. She'd probably train you up first."

"That doesn't sound so bad..." 

"Not everything the mob does is bad. They do some decent business on the side."

Seulgi circled the 'soldier' boxes.

"I'd imagine Park Sooyoung is around here, but if she's able to get you out certain death she'd probably be pretty powerful. Watch out for that girl, she may be right here instead." 

Seulgi pointed the laser at a box labeled, 'Underboss'. 

"That's second in command, right underneath..." 

Seulgi zoomed the map into the beautiful face that Wendy saw at the top earlier. 

"Her. Bae Irene." 

"She's beautiful," Wendy blurted out. Seulgi scoffed. 

"Many have thought that and many have wound up dead because of that. That's part of her charm. The only reason we even have her picture is because we sent one of ours on a suicide mission to get close to her, physically. Otherwise, it'd be impossible. She's kept herself very well hidden, but we know she's the big boss, the 'Godfather'."

Wendy's mind flashed back to what Sooyoung had said to her in the interrogation room. 

"This isn't about what I want, Son Wendy. It's about the Godfather."

"So she's the one..." 

"Yup, the one Park was talking about."

Wendy blinked. 

"Right, eyes and ears." 

"That's right."

Seulgi pointed the laser at the top picture again.

"She makes everything tick, she's the brains of the whole thing. Everyone listens to her, everything goes through her, all roads lead back to her. She's in charge."

"She looks so young..."

Seulgi cleared .

"Anyway, she's the one we're out to get. She's young but capable. Too capable. We suspect she's bringing in millions of US dollars every single week." 

"Every week?!"

Seulgi nodded. Wendy was astonished. 

"How she's getting that money we got no clue, but it isn't all clean."

"Now, for what I need you to do when you're in there."

Seulgi was facing Wendy with that blank expression once again, making Wendy sit up straight as a washing board.

"I doubt you'd even get remotely close to Bae, so this is what you're going to do."

"You are going to be my eyes and ears in there. Just listen for everything and anything. Eventually, there'll be something I can use, and I'll be able to arrest them one by one, break up their businesses, and put an end to them. Report to me everything you hear weekly at this place." 

"Won't the mob be following me?" 

"The mob isn't a jail. You can still roam the streets, but they'll have an eye on you. However, remember what I told you, they don't mess with civilians. As far as they know, this place is where your friend lives, so they won't bother you if you come here."

Wendy nodded. She took a deep breath.

"You thought this out well." 

Seulgi nodded. 

"Of course."

Wendy went quiet for a minute. There had been a question lingering on her mind ever since Seulgi appeared in the interrogation room earlier.

"How long do you think this is going to take?"

Seulgi's stare faltered a little, as she glanced away from Wendy for a moment before regaining eye contact.

"I don't know how long it'll take, Miss Son, but I'm damn sure it's better than working under them for the rest of your life. You finish this for us, you're a free woman. You work with them, you'll never be free, and you'll never be that singer you want to be. You'll be doing things you don't want to, you won't live the way you want."

"Take my word for it." 

Seulgi's words were heavy. They took a moment to sink in, but when they did...

Wendy's lips began to quiver, her eyes began to sting, her heart began to pound hard against her chest. She covered her face with her hand, as tears began to flow from her eyes. Seulgi was startled momentarily but regained her composure quickly, sitting next to Wendy and pulling her into a hug. 

"I'm so scared, Detective Seulgi, I'm so scared..." 

Wendy was breaking down. Her body was a quivering mess, and the tears weren't stopping. Seulgi patted Wendy's shoulder. 

"Of course you are. Anyone in your situation would be. You're a very brave girl for doing this, Miss Son, very brave. You're helping make Korea a better country. You're helping make the world a better place." 

Wendy just cried harder, so Seulgi hugged her tighter. 

As Wendy was for Yeri earlier, Seulgi was now for Wendy. 

A support pillar to lean on. 

Wendy sobbed into Seulgi's shoulder. 

"Thank you, Detective Seulgi..." 

Seulgi looked away. She let her lips tug upwards just a little bit. 

"Thank you, Miss Son."

***

Wendy finally calmed down a little. She thanked Seulgi once more for helping comfort her and giving her a mini briefing on what she could expect coming up in her life. Seulgi just nodded, almost machine-like. Wendy cleaned up the food she brought over and was about to leave, heading to the door of the apartment. 

"Wait, Miss Son." 

Wendy turned around and was handed an envelope. 

"Check if the details inside are correct." 

Wendy opened the letter, and inside was a note containing Seulgi's phone number and addresses around the country, a bunch of keys, and a letter of induction into the Korean University of Arts. It looked genuine. 

"I'm sure you have the talent to get in there legitimately, but this will have to do for now. Hand this to your foster parents so you have an excuse to be away for a while."

Wendy was stunned once again. 

"Eyes and ears, Miss Son."

"...Th-thank you..." 

"You're welcome." 

Wendy bowed gingerly, about to take her leave when she felt a strong grip around her wrist that tugged her back. 

"Miss Son, I vow to keep you safe. Trust me."

Wendy into at Seulgi. She still had that same blank expression on her face, but her eyes were fiery, full of determination. 

That made Wendy smile.

"...I trust you." 

***

"The University of Arts?!"

Wendy nodded, putting out the fakest, biggest smile she had ever put out in her life. 

Though that smile was close to genuine upon seeing the pure joy that Mrs. Choi was experiencing at the moment, jumping up and down and running around with the fake letter in her hands. Wendy had to pinch herself on the thigh to prevent herself from exploding. 

"Aren't you happy, Wendy-ah?"

"I-I am, Mrs. Choi. I'm just so... speechless I don't know what to do." 

Mrs. Choi beamed again, and Wendy's heart ached to see her stare so fondly at the letter. 

"I am so proud of you, Wendy-ah. My beautiful, beautiful Wendy." 

"Th-thanks, Mrs. Choi."

The older woman pulled Wendy into a hug, and Wendy nearly cried again at the words Mrs. Choi whispered in her ear. 

"You deserve this, sweetheart. All your hard work, your natural talent, you deserve this." 

Wendy couldn't hold it in. The tears flowed again, and Mrs. Choi quickly wiped them away. 

"These tears of joy are well earned, Wendy-ah." 

If only Mrs. Choi knew the real reason why Wendy was crying. 

Yeri was in the background too, jumping up and celebrating just as excitedly as Mrs. Choi was, while Mr. Choi just stood and shone a proud smile that only a father could show his daughter. 

Wendy's heart ached.

It hurt. 

It hurt so much.

It hurt so much to lie.

"Please visit us often, Wendy-ah." 

Through stinging eyes and a heavy heart, Wendy nodded. 

"Of course," Wendy croaked. 

***

24 hours was coming to an end quickly. After a dinner that was thrown in celebration of Wendy's 'induction' into the 'University of Arts', the moon had formed in the sky. 

Wendy enjoyed every last couple of seconds that she had in this life, knowing that it was never going to be the same again. 

Life was going to change soon. 

Real soon.

As soon as everyone went to bed, and the clock struck midnight, Wendy received a text on her phone. 

"Head to your front door. Bring nothing but yourself."

The number was unknown, but Wendy knew exactly who it was. She gulped. 

Yeri was sound asleep in her bed, cuddling with her teddy bear, her sketchbook right next to her. Wendy smiled, laying a kiss on the girl's forehead once again. 

"I love you, Yeri-ah." 

Wendy quietly left her room, making sure Mr. and Mrs. Choi was asleep before she left the house. She opened the door, where the streets were empty, save for one car. 

The back door of that car opened, and out emerged a tall, slender figure that Wendy recognized. This time, instead of a police uniform, she was in a suit.

Wendy clenched her fists. The figure was in front of her.

"Hey, Wendy."

"...Hi, Sooyoung."

That devious grin that Wendy hated showed itself again. 

"Hope you enjoyed your 24 hours." 

Wendy didn't reply. 

"Wow, cold. I like it."

Sooyoung pressed a hand on Wendy's cheek. Whether it was due to fear or general timidness, Wendy didn't slap it away. 

"You're still warm, Son Wendy. I wonder how your skin would feel against mine, whether it'd make mine warmer."

Wendy could only turn away. Sooyoung sniggered. 

"Here, change into this." 

Sooyoung shoved a freshly pressed suit into Wendy's chest, her hands brushing against areas it shouldn't be. Wendy knew it was intentional, but she didn't dare say anything about it. 

Sooyoung made a vile slurping noise with her tongue. 

"Want me to change you?" 

Wendy quickly dashed into the house to change, leaving a chuckling Sooyoung behind. 

Wendy's phone rang as soon as she entered the house. 

"3 minutes or I'm going in there myself." 

Wendy took off her shirt immediately. 

***

"Not even a minute, impressive." 

Wendy came out in the suit that fit her perfectly. Sooyoung made that noise with her tongue again. 

"Ho-how did you know my measurements?"

"Figured it out when I was busy stripping you in my head."

Wendy felt her stomach curl. She was disgusted, but the way her body reacted, with her legs tightening against each other and her ears turning red, you'd have thought she was embarrassed.

"Pl-please stop..." 

Sooyoung sniggered. 

"ing adorable."

Wendy turned away. 

"Wh-what's the suit for anyway?" 

Sooyoung raised an eyebrow. 

"You think you're gonna meet the boss in a hoodie and jeans?" 

Wendy's eyes went wide. 

"Wh-what?" 

Sooyoung grabbed Wendy's arm and started pulling her towards the car. 

"That's right," 

"You're meeting the boss."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

Hey~ Sorry this update was a little slow haha, had a lot of refining to do from the first draft. 

Wendy's about to meet the boss. That's right, Irene is finally going to be introduced. 

Please anticipate it ;) 

Thanks for all your lovely comments, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far. I'm also surprised by the upvotes and subscribers, I'm pretty sure it's the most I've ever had in the first two chapters and the real meat of the story hasn't even begun yet. 

It will be starting soon though. Expect chapters to get longer :D

See you soon lovelies <3