A Murderer?

Hire Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Joy." She decided to ignore Wendy. She was pissed at Irene despite understanding the reason why after hearing the radio announcement. She was hoping maybe the latter would understand but boy she was wrong. Speaking of the radio announcement, it was unavoidable to feel fear. Seulgi's comment about Wendy never left her mind. Was it worth risking her life for money? Because the moment cops find them, Joy's done for. She might end up going to jail for being accused of kidnapping. Maybe a jail party with Wendy if the latter turned out to be a serial killer and was lying all along. But Wendy as a murderer? If the worst things possible in Joy's head turned out to be true, she would end up homeless, jobless, and friendless.

"Joy?"

"What?!" she snapped. She wasn't in the mood for any of Wendy's shenanigans. This was the time she wished Wendy would just shut up.

"Are you mad at me?" mad wasn't the right word. Joy was having a dilemma and she was conflicted. She wanted to kick Wendy out of her car and drive away but by doing that meant returning the suitcase to the woman just to be fair. However, she was broke. Homeless. Hopeless. She was at her lowest at that point. The lack of sleep would up her work routine the next day. She didn't even know if she could still carry on. Life is just too cruel, she thought. What if she just kept driving straight to a cliff. She hated the idea of dying but the further she drove to nowhere and the longer Wendy stared at her, the more she wished she'd rather die right now. If her last resort really was Wendy, then it just meant suicide.

"How much are you?" Joy's tone was low. She pushed the cassette out of the player and threw it to the back seat. Wendy was taken aback by the question. She didn't quite know how to respond. Joy clicked her tongue impatiently. "People on missing papers include rewards, right? How much are you?" this time Wendy looked away, gazing outside the window.

"I don't know. How am I supposed to know?" Wendy replied quietly. She herself didn't expect her dad would go as far as putting her on missing papers. As if he cared. She was sure her dad was only looking for her just because of that stupid marriage. "I don't wanna know." it was Joy's first time seeing Wendy that upset. Wendy couldn't possibly be a criminal. She didn't have enough evidence to back it up but it was the mere feeling she had at the moment. Perhaps she was telling the truth. Arranged marriage, runaway, Seulgi as her past lover or whatever. She wished she knew more.

"Will you be honest with me?"

"I've always been honest with you." Wendy's mood stayed the same. It was a surprise to Joy that Wendy was capable of feeling other emotions other than being happy and to some extent.

"Not the first time we met."

"What was I supposed to say? Hey, Joy? I went down on you last night, how about you let me stay in your house and I'll pay you?" Joy almost stepped on the gas. Wendy was getting in her nerves and not to mention, making her jittery again with the same memory she had been trying to forget. She wasn't proud of it. "I was drunk too. We were lucky enough to not get involved in a car crash. I was drunk but I had more control than you, lightweight." Wendy murmured the last word. When Joy realized there was no use arguing with the woman, she sighed deeply. Wendy wasn't her usual self that Joy had gotten used to in the past two days or three or whatever, Joy had lost track.

"Will you be honest with me?" Joy repeated the question and she could hear Wendy sighing.

"Yes. I will be honest with you."

"And if you're not?"

"ing kiss me, I don't know, up to you. Might as well punish me. Lash your anger at me and pull out your cuffs. You work with cops, right? Or that's what I heard from your conversation with Irene.

"No, thanks. And first of all, I am not a cop nor I do work with them. Are you forgetting something? I am jobless in my field of career. And if I was a cop, I would've turned you and Seulgi in yesterday. And second of all, I am not into whatever you're fantasizing about." Wendy shrugged that meant 'sure, whatever' which for some reason Joy understood. "Now... did you do anything before running away? Like something really stupid that could get you in trouble? In jail?"

"No." Joy glanced at Wendy who was biting her lips. She doubted the response. She heard the uncertainty in her voice. "I mean I just fought back. I tried defending myself. Nothing for you to be worried about."

"Defend?" Wendy was never good at lying which is why she hated talking about herself because she ends up giving out too much information and that was exactly the case right now.

"I might've sent someone to the E.R. before running away..." Joy side-eyed Wendy. Great, more trouble. What could have Wendy done this time again?

"Was it bad?"

"I don't know, Joy, you tell me? He ended up in E.R. because I whacked his head with a baseball bat. Heck, I don't even know if he's still alive. I probably gave him concussion, I don't know. I really don't care. I just left and ran away and then the next thing I knew I was in your bed." Joy thought it through. Wendy didn't seem the type to hurt people unless necessary. She wanted to ask more but she wanted to make sure she was careful as things might get too personal. Plus, Wendy already wasn't acting herself so if she made one wrong move, Wendy might end up hating her tonight. Not like she cared. She just didn't want their relationship (if they have any) to go sour.

"Did he try doing something to you?" there was a long silence between them. Joy wished she had the cassette on right, worried that she might've said something wrong. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, it's fine. He's..." Wendy paused and Joy waited patiently. "He's the 'arranged husband' I was talking about," Wendy said with obvious bitterness in her tone. "We were forced to meet each other. He was trying to act all gentlemen and until he tried forcing himself onto me. His excuse? We're gonna be married anyways. We would eventually , he said. I wasn't even scared, I was just pissed, I hated everyone at that point and next thing I knew I had a baseball bat in my hand and he was lying on the floor unconscious." Joy was never the type to be comforting. Usually, when her friends had problems, she would either keep the conversation going as a way of comfort or just listen.

"That's badass." Joy mentally cringed at her comment. She wasn't really used to this type of atmosphere. Her comment seemed inappropriate and insensitive. She wanted to hide. But gladly, Wendy was laughing at her. It was heartwarming and then she was laughing too. Joy decided maybe it was best if she stops asking questions. She looked at the laughing Wendy, how pretty she looked. And then at that point, maybe she didn't hate Wendy that much and the idea of risking her life for someone she just met three days ago or two or whatever, gave her excitement. She's never had this feeling for so long now and maybe Wendy did help her get out of that neverending loop she was referring to. Maybe having Wendy around wasn't so bad.

"You think so?" Wendy asked.

"Yeah, he deserved it. If he's dead, that'd be funny." Joy laughed which surprised Wendy. She didn't know Joy was capable of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter