FIVE

Is it right? UNBELIEVABLE

Little did Subin know that this is not all to his good mood this week. 1.00am. It is the time in between the days, but it is also the time Subin finally knocks off from work. After closing, he locks the front door of the café behind him. When he turns, thinking he will be heading home, he knows he is not. From a short distance, a tall figure is walking towards him and frantically waving. It is hard to go unnoticed in the relatively quiet street. It is Seungwoo. Upon seeing Subin's exit, Seungwoo starts to make his way towards the young man, and it gradually turns into a small jog. 

"Hey."

"Hi sir." Subin mumbles, pleasantly surprised but still findings words to put together. He is curious. What is Seungwoo doing here? Why is he here at this hour? At the same time, Subin scans the tall man in front of him from head to toe. He is in a clean set of trainers, still matching, and he really looks as good as models on the runway.

"I thought you'd be here so I came to try my luck." Seungwoo explains.

"You came... to see me?" Subin is a little hesitant, and in disbelief.

Seungwoo smiles, and does not answer directly, "want to grab a drink with me?" The tall man then points at the convenient store at the corner of the street.

Subin finds himself energetic all of a sudden, even if he had a long day of class, tennis and work. He nods and Seungwoo pushes him on, an arm over the young man's shoulder, as if huddling due to the cold. 

In the convenient store, the two head straight to the refrigerate area, and pull out several cans of beers and soju bottles until their hands and arms cannot hold anymore before bringing to the counter. After paying, the two hold their bags of goods, and plans to sit at the benches just outside the convenient store. They immediately regret their original plan as they step out of the convenient store. The rush of freezing cold wind slap against their cheeks, making them want to retreat back into the store.

"How about we head to my apartment to drink?" Seungwoo suggests, carefully observing Subin's reaction as the young man had always been against the idea of visiting his place.

Subin shivers in the cold, and it definitely does not help that the drinks he has in hand are all freshly out of the fridge. He faintly recalls that Seungwoo had mentioned his apartment is near the area, maybe just a few streets distance. The situation does not allow him to consider for too long, and he quickly nods to the suggestion.

Seungwoo takes no time to react and pull the young man by the arm, then heads in the direction of his apartment. As Seungwoo walks ahead of Subin, he smiles to himself, very pleased with the situation.

Subin does not know how many streets they have crossed, but he knows that Seungwoo's arm has been hooking on his, all so naturally. The closeness makes Subin's heart beat fast, and his face blush. The whole way, he has his eyes focused on their linked arms until he finds himself at Seungwoo's doorstep. He feels himself like a frozen statue melted when the warmth of the heater engulfs him as the door swing open. By natural instinct, he paces himself slowly towards the heat source.

Seungwoo stops Subin to kick his shoes off before entering. The small studio apartment can be captured at one glance. Right beside the door is a tiny open kitchen. Seungwoo grabs the bags of alcohol, including those Subin are holding and places them onto the bar area of the kitchen. Over the kitchen bar, the bed can be seen. At the food of the bed, a tiny living area is set up with two beanbags and a round coffee table. After his shoes are removed, Subin glances the studio from one end to another and drops his jacket on the floor before he nests himself in one of the beanbags. Seungwoo watches the young man from the corner of his eyes as he fits the beer and soju into his fridge, then grabs some to the coffee table. He offers a can of beer to Subin before heading back to the kitchen.

"Fancy some ramyeon?" Seungwoo asks over the bar.

Subin finds his stomach growling at the mention of ramyeon and he quickly nods. Meanwhile Seungwoo has already start boiling water in his pot. It does not take long to cook ramyeon, but Subin finds himself awkwardly sitting at a foreign space. To calm himself, he opens the can of beer placed in front of him, which pops really loudly and gives the young man a scare. Subin quickly bends his head forward to catch the overflowing foam erupting from the opening of the can. Seungwoo observes the man sitting in his room, finding each little detail of his action adorable and extremely loveable. 

Seungwoo quickly fixes the ramyeon meal, adding a few pieces of ham in, then serves with a side dish of kimchi. Subin finally sits straight like a puppy waiting for his food as Seungwoo sets the table. Subin digs in as soon as he is handed a pair of chopsticks, disregarding the fact that the dish is still hot. He breathes out the hot air, trying to cool his mouth after sending the noodles in, and he fans himself while doing so. Seungwoo chuckles out loud at how comical Subin looks, to which the younger returns a death stare. It does not stop Seungwoo from laughing, but makes him laugh even harder, as he finds the young man extremely adorable.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Subin asks, only after he has finished more than half the content in the pot, and finds Seungwoo's pair of chopsticks untouched, still on the table.

"I thought you'd be really hungry so I made 2 packets, I can finish what you have left." Seungwoo smiles. He had dinner, as he knows he will not survive without eating after tennis in the evening. But he imagined Subin must have skipped the meal since he left tennis really late and probably only made it on time for his work. Seungwoo sneakly pushes Subin's can of beer nearer to the young man.

"But what if I finish all these?"

"Then it's my pleasure. I can cook you more if you want."

Seungwoo prepares to stand from his position and Subin quickly stops him, saying he is quite full already. Seungwoo then nods and sit back down, and opens his can of beer while observing the young man. When he notices Subin puts down his utensils, he asks if Subin is done with it. The young man nods and without much thought, Seungwoo picks up Subin's chopsticks and starts slurping on the noodles. Subin laughs, amused with the older man's actions.

"You must be really hungry, Seungwoo hyung."

Seungwoo does not mind at all for being laughed at and quickly wolves down the remaining contents in the pot. Only then, he pours a big gulp of beer down his throat. Finally satisfied, he leans back into his seat and slides his palm over his stomach.

"Can't deny I cook the best ramyeon."

Subin laughs, "I bet I can do better."

"Oh yea? This is competition!"

Seungwoo lifts up his beer can and the two cling their cans together before taking a big gulp each. The two then chat about their week and about some other matters.

"By the way, you seen that girl yet?"

"Which girl? Oh wait- Naeun? No actually, I haven't."

"It's been a while, hasn't it? You don't wanna break up cleanly?"

"I want to. But it's just that I don't know how." Subin says softly, and bottoms up the remaining beer in his can.

Seungwoo speaks as he makes his way to the fridge to get more beer, "It isn't going to be difficult. If you find it hard to do it face to face, you can do it over text. At least it will provide closure for the both of you, instead of leaving it hanging, right?"

"Yeah I guess," Subin opens his can as he says, his small voice almost getting covered by the sound of gas escaping the can.

"Well, you can do it now." Seungwoo says as he picks up Subin's phone that has been lying on the floor beside them, and puts it in front of the young man.

Subin takes his phone in his hands and looks up at the man sitting opposite him, hesitating.

"You're sure about breaking up? If you are, go ahead."

Seungwoo looks away and sips on his beer, but he observes the man opposite him from the corner of his eye.

Subin holds his phone in his hands for a while, before his thumbs start to move slowly. Let's break up. He types, but then quickly holds on the backspace button. Hi Naeun, it's been a while, are you coping well? I have thought about our relationship and we should end it for real now. Hope you meet someone who treasures you more. Subin reads the new message he types again and again but still hesitant on clicking the send button.

"Do you need help?"

"I don't think so."

"You're not ready to break up?"

"It's not that. I think I'm afraid if she replies. I don't know what to say."

"There's nothing to be afraid about. You can turn off your phone after this."

"Good idea."

Subin press down his hovering thumb and sends the message, then quickly hold down the power button of the phone until the screen turns completely black.

"How're you feeling?"

"Not too bad. Officially single again. How was it like when you broke up, hyung?"

"Not so sure though, I was dumped."

"Wait what?" Subin almost choked on his sip of beer.

"Is it that surprising? I was dumped because of another guy."

Subin's eyes open in disbelief, to which Seungwoo laughs, then helps Subin bring his can of beer to his lips.

"Don't be so surprised, Subin. I'm sure I was not a good boyfriend."

"That can't be true, hyung! I'm sure you were too good so they took advantage!"

"That can be translated to me being kinda bad too."

"That's not true!" Subin says, determined, and pouts a little.

"But it's all in the past, it'll be a learning point in future. Anyway it's all over, and I have someone else in my mind these days."

"Is it? Who's that?"

"That's a secret, but I can tell you this person is really cute."

"Be sure to show me who it is soon!"

The two then cling their beer cans together again, and takes another sip. Subin feels his heart a little heavier than before. He is dying to know who has caught Seungwoo's eyes. But at the same time, he is afraid, he may get an answer that disappoints. He then quickly throws the thought away, and reminds himself this is not what he should be worrying right now. Seungwoo is a teacher, and he is a student. And after all, both of them are guys.

"Hyung, what do you think of gay relationships?" Subin asks before going through what he wants to say in his head, and he surprises himself when he hears his voice. He then curses himself for drinking too much.

"Hm? What should I think about it?"

"I mean- hum... nothing, hyung."

"Did you think I'll be against it?"

"I don't know," Subin whispers.

"Bonus for you, the person I have in my mind these days is a guy."

Seungwoo leans in secretively and whispers right at Subin's face. Subin feels his already red face burn even more. He knowingly covers his burning face, complaining that he is drunk.

"If that is the case, then you got to quickly go to bed, young man."

Still drown in thoughts, Subin feels himself gets pulled up with one hand and the hand assists him to get in bed. His world spins the moment his left the bean bag, and he can only lean in to the warm he finds wrapping him up. Seungwoo does not seem to mind, and instead holds Subin firmly as they make their way only bed. Seungwoo tucks the young man in bed, then proceeds to clean up the bowls and empty cans. He checks on the soon snoring Subin from time to time, making sure the cleaning does not wake the sleeping man. Seungwoo then washes his face before heading to bed himself, he does not forget to pull the blankets up to cover the both of them after he slips himself in.