Not Over

A Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present day.

“No.” Jae Wook repeats the rejection, his tone flat and bored. Like he couldn’t get rid of her fast enough.

And his eyes. The emptiness in his gaze—

Oh, God.

That’s when it hits Min Young. What was upsetting her since this morning. What was, and is still making her sick to her stomach. The Jae Wook she knew have always looked at her with warm gaze. He may be happy, annoyed, shocked, sad, or tender, but his gaze would always hold affection. Always. And never, even once, like...this. Without any trace of emotions. Empty. Like she is just another passing stranger on the streets.

Her heart squeezes cruelly.

God, she did not expect it to hurt this much. No, she did not expect it to hurt at all. Really, it should not. But for some incomprehensible reason...it does. She is hurting so much, she can feel closing in, gasping for air.

Min Young takes a step back. Gutted and confused. She wraps her arms around her stomach, trying to contain the pain.

But Jae Wook’s rejection echoes. No.

And suddenly, it is just too much.

Grandma.

Her home.

Tori.

Sleepless nights.

Director Hong’s disappointment.

Kim Jae Wook.

.

Panic and horror overcome her as she realizes one thing: she is going to freaking cry! And she knows it’s not going to be the beautiful tears rolling down her cheeks kind of cry. No, this is going to be the ugly, bawling, uncontrollable cry she knows very well. Just yesterday, she had it. And until now, Yoon Ji and Manager Kang, who witnessed her breakdown, still looks at her like she’s one delicate china bowl. Why not add Jae Wook to the list, right? Anyway, he definitely already thinks she is an unprofessional actress and a creepy fan. Surely, adding emotionally-unstable woman to her general description will not hurt her non-existent good image in his eyes.

Min Young takes another step back, but wasn’t fast enough. She stands there in horror as hot, embarrassing tears start welling from her eyes, spilling shamelessly on her cheeks. She wipes at it furiously and tries to smile, attempting to hide her distress. But she fails miserably. Her smile collapses even before it starts. “Seriously?” she mutters angrily at herself, as another fat tear rolls down. She swipes it again.

She has to get out of here. Now. Non-existent image aside, she still refuses to have an emotional breakdown in front of Jae Wook.

“I-I’m sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking, coming here, ambushing you like this.” She forces out an explanation, her words tripping right after another. Come on Min Young, explain fast, then get the hell out! She hides a sob with a cough, covering with one hand. “I wasn’t thinking ob—” her voice breaks again. “—I’m just gonna go.”

Without waiting for an answer, she turns her back and dashes towards the emergency stairs, unstoppable tears keep coming like a broken dam. She bites her bottom lip hard, choking back another vicious sob from escaping.

“.” Jae Wook curses under his breath.

With three long strides, he catches up with her, his hand shooting out to grab her arm. Shocked by the sudden contact, Min Young jerks her arm back and stumbles. She grips the railing behind her and steadies herself.

Jae Wook makes another move to grab her.

But she takes another clumsy step back, out of his reach. Her feet dangerously on the edge of the stairs.

Fear momentarily fleets through Jae Wook's expression, his eyes travelling from her feet, the stairs behind her, and to her eyes. Then it is gone. He goes back to his usual calm self in a heartbeat. "Come here," he orders in a deceptively flat tone. His hand reaches out again.

"Don’t touch me!" she cries, panicked. She is not trying to be a drama queen. God knows how much she hates being one. But right now, she is just barely holding herself together by a thin, fine thread. She knows if he touches her, she will lose it. Completely lose it like a madwoman.

Jae Wook’s jaw tightens, before an explosion of anger flashes through his eyes. "The hell I won't!"

Min Young is stunned by his sudden outburst. He is angry. No, not just angry. He is furious.

“W-what?” She staggers backwards, shocked by the sudden change in Jae Wook’s demeanor. But her foot doesn’t find solid ground. Her heart drops as she starts falling—

“!” Like lighting, Jae Wook moves in and pulls her back. He wraps an arm around her waist and slams her back to his body, knocking the breath out of her lungs. Startled, she looks up at him. The full force of his rage meets her. “ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF?!" he roars, his face contorted with anger. And terror.

“N-no! I—I did not...”

“Think? Obviously, thinking is the last thing you are capable of!" His arm tightens around her, then shakes her harshly. "Are you that stupid?”

She gasps at his cruel words carelessly thrown at her. She shakes her head in denial. No, this is not the Jae Wook she knew. It cannot be. And to be honest, after everything she had been through for the past few months, after every pain, terror, disappointment she had been through, no, she is not going to take this kind of crap. No freaking way! Not from anyone. Not from him.

“T-take that back,” she chokes out brokenly. No more. Enough. With stronger voice, she lifts her chin, tears still streaming down her face, she says, “You take that back.”

His jaw tenses.

She shoves him back, jabbing his chest with a finger, her eyes blinded by tears. She doesn't see his anger flicker off, replaced by regret and concern. She continues to hit him. “You have no right!”

He remains unmoved.

“You have no idea what...” She starts sobbing, weariness inching its way deeper into her bones, her delicate shoulders shaking uncontrollably. “T-take that back…"

Jae Wook curses under his breath. He draws a shaky breath and then gently, he wraps his other arm around her shoulders, his hand cradling the back of her head. Min Young weakly tries to twist out of his hold, but Jae Wook’s arms are immovable, securing her against him.

", I'm sorry babe," he whispers.

She hits him again. And he let her, without making any attempt to evade her blows. He stands there, until her pathetic punches grow weaker and weaker and weaker, and until it completely stops.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers again, his voice bleeding with remorse.

"H-how dare you call me stupid!"

"I'm the stupid one."

"I-I just wanted to say sorry..." she whispers.

"I know, babe. I'm an ."

For some reason, his words only make her cry harder.

Jae Wook squeezes his eyes shut, and buries his face on top of her head. “Babe...”

It takes some time for Min Young to finally calm down. And when she does, she freezes as she realizes one thing. Babe. Slowly, she raises her tear-stricken face to him, confused. "W-what did you call me?" she asks, her voice hoarse.

He stares down at her for a long time, his gaze now reflecting the familiar warmth sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter