Couple's Island

A Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Six years ago.

“I am getting married!”

There is a stunned silence in the line for few seconds as she sits up on her bed and registers the news, her phone cradled between her head and shoulders. Then an ear-splitting scream. “Oh my God, Lee Ha Na, you’re getting married?!”

“Yes, yes, yes! I am. I can’t believe it, I’m getting married!”

Min Young jumps out of her bed, and skips in excitement, squealing like a teenager. 

Her cousin Lee Ha Na has been dating her American-raised boyfriend, Maxwell Choi, for over three years now. It isn’t really a surprise that they decided to get married. She couldn’t find anyone who is more in love with each other than these two. She remembers, every time she visits them in New York, they would warm her heart with the unreserved love they show each other. In return, she always good-naturedly teases them that it’s illegal to be this in love with each other because it is not good for the heart of those watching them.

“Congratulations, you two! I am so, so, so happy for you Ha Na! If I don’t have a shoot tomorrow, I would fly there right now, and give you two the best bone-crushing hug in the history of hugs!”

“You’ll come to the wedding, right?”

“As if I you have to ask? I’ll be there no matter what.”

She hears her sigh of relief. “Yaaaaay! Thank you so much, Min Young! If there’s just one person I would want to be on my wedding, you know it’s you.”

She laughs, her eyes starting to tear up. “Don’t let Maxwell hear that. He would start to think you want marry me as well.”

A strangled laugh comes from the other line, and then some sniffling. Like her, Ha Na is also crying. Min Young knows the past three years hasn’t been easy. Ha Na’s rich parents disapprove of Maxwell, and have stopped talking to her ever since she announced that she’s moving permanently to New York to be with her boyfriend. Relatives, afraid to be caught in the middle of Uncle Lee’s wrath, have stopped communications with Ha Na as well. Except for her.

“Can I do that?” Ha Na teases. “Can I marry you as well? You can move here with us.”

“Maxwell will kill me first.”

“Naaah, Maxwell loves you too, because he knows how much I love you.”

“Okay, stop it, Ha Na. You are going to make me bawl like a baby here.”

“It’s only fair, I’m already bawling like a baby here.”

She laughs. So typical of them to be so happy, and then crying within a space of ten seconds. It always drives Maxwell crazy. “So, when is the wedding?”

“Next week Sunday.”

Min Young stops at her tracks, her eyes instantly flying to the calendar on her desk. “Next week Sunday? That’s like  just nine days away!”

“I know! Isn’t it exciting?” Ha Na’s delighted voice is back. 

Min Young shakes her head. She is still amazed how she and Ha Na gets along very well. Ha Na is spontaneous and adventurous. She is a massive planner. It literally pains her if something happens that is not part of her plans. Worst, if things aren’t planned at all!

She takes a deep breath, and seats behind her desk. She sets her phone down and puts it on speaker. “Okay, nine days. We can still make it work.” She opens her laptop and starts typing away in the keys. “Good thing I will be free whole week next week. I’m at your disposal.”

Ha Na giggles. “Oh, Min Young. You are so cute when you go all business on me. Relax, everything is taken care of.”

“What do you mean? Who is taking care of it?”

“Maxwell is arranging everything. It will just a simple intimate beach wedding.”

Min Young taps one finger on the desk. “Hmm. Oookay,” she comments, not fully convinced. There is nothing simple with weddings, no matter how small they are. “But I’ll still fly out there days well in advance.” She switches the site to an airline. “I’m arranging a flight the day after tomorrow.”

“Min Young, stop. You don’t have to do that. No need to come down to this side of the world. We’ll come down there!”

Her fingers freezes mid-enter. “Your wedding is here in Korea?”

“Nope, but close. We are going to El Amado!”

 

 *****

 

El Amado, which literally means the beloved, is a private island resort, mere thirty-minute boat ride away from El Nido, a paradise off the coast of Palawan.

After enduring a five-hour plane ride from Seoul to Manila, a quick layover, a delayed one-hour flight to Palawan, and then an intense six-hour land travel, Min Young finally arrives at El Nido, where she has to meet with the staff of El Amado who will take her on a boat ride to the island where Ha Na’s wedding will be held.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter